Costa Rica's Catholic church is calling for respect from the Swedish black metal band Marduk, who will be making an appearance in Costa Rica later this week on the Baphomet Fest.

Marduk has been strongly criticized by religious groups for its anti-Christian lyrics and even branding the band as "satanic."

Mario Segura, Catholic priest and spokesperson for the Curia Metropolitana, said "they should have more respect because they are sacred things", referring to the band's use of religious articles, like an inverted cross in its album cover art.

Segura said he considers that this type of music and message cannot encourage any good in Costa Rica's youth.

Marduk will be in Costa Rica on Thursday July 29 at the Pepper Disco Club (formerly The City). The band last made an appearance in Costa Rica in 2003.

EM3 Producciones, promoter of the event, said the Thursday show is for those 18 years of age and over and that the band will not be performing any type of ritual on stage, just perform its music.

Source: insidecostarica.com
Band profile: Marduk
Event: Baphomet Fest 4

Posted: 27.07.2010 by Thryce

Comments

Hugoj33 - 27.07.2010 at 16:27
Jajajaja catholic pussies
BudDa - 27.07.2010 at 16:36
Haha...yeah, Marduk, show some Respect!...
Its though beyond me how they were scheduled to play in Costa Rica in the first place...Didn't Mario Segura see this coming?!
JÄY - 27.07.2010 at 16:44
Is this the first drama of 2010?
Got Mayhem? - 27.07.2010 at 17:03

Of course Father Mario! After 20 years of spreading blasphemy I'm sure the only reason Marduk have continued their unholy tirade is because no one has asked them to show some respect. Congratulations, I'm sure this remarkably novel idea of yours will not only turn Marduk into a more civilized band, but will also affect Black Metal in general.
rpsgc - 27.07.2010 at 17:59
Hey Catholic Church, show some respect to the thousands of children you've molested.
In_tallica - 27.07.2010 at 18:56
"and even branding the band as satanic.".....

Well...maybe because they ARE satanists xD.
Andreas - 27.07.2010 at 19:00
I have to agree with the priest. Why? For the same reason you're not gonna play the drums on Sundays when you know that there are christians living nearby who don't like that sort of thing.
Marcus - 27.07.2010 at 19:17
Catholics should start making anti-satanist bm bands. That'll show em.
MeloDeathViking - 27.07.2010 at 19:20
Written by Marcus on 27.07.2010 at 19:17

Catholics should start making anti-satanist bm bands. That'll show em.

Hahaha this idea is genius!
Ask - 27.07.2010 at 19:46
Written by Marcus on 27.07.2010 at 19:17

Catholics should start making anti-satanist bm bands. That'll show em.

There's already un-black or white metal or whatever-you-want-to-call-them bands like Antestor. I'm not sure if they're Catholic or not but they have pro-Christian lyrical themes.
vezzy - 27.07.2010 at 20:08
Written by Ask on 27.07.2010 at 19:46

Written by Marcus on 27.07.2010 at 19:17

Catholics should start making anti-satanist bm bands. That'll show em.

I'm sure he's fully aware of them.

But this is hilarious, really,
Stratowarrior - 27.07.2010 at 20:40
Fuck the church!! i don't like black metal, but religion has always been a mafia, and who's charging them for all the killings all over the years?
Hamird - 28.07.2010 at 00:45
"they should have more respect because they are sacred things"... Seems he hasn't seen the band yet, because the way he's talking is like talking to an 8 year old boy not Mortuus and Morgan!
BlueMobius - 28.07.2010 at 01:15
At least they aren't trying to ban the band from playing...what's wrong with wanting a little respect?
iMorphball - 28.07.2010 at 01:25
Written by BlueMobius on 28.07.2010 at 01:15

Black Metal, Catholicism, Black Metal, Catholicism, Black Metal, Catholicism...

Hmmm...
Vitriolic Hate - 28.07.2010 at 02:44
Written by Got Mayhem? on 27.07.2010 at 17:03

haha indeed!
LeChron James - 28.07.2010 at 02:53
Fuck that, they're performing at an event called BAPHOMET FEST. they're going after the wrong people if they want respect.
Lucas - 28.07.2010 at 03:17
Why all the hate?

If this is really the entire story, I'd say it's a good move from the church. Simply asking for respect is in no way wrong. There's nothing wrong with showing a bit of sympathy, not even for kulty kulty Marduk.
Sworn - 28.07.2010 at 03:23
That Mario Segura deserves to fucking die.
Culty - 28.07.2010 at 05:38
So asking for respect deserves a death sentence?
selken - 28.07.2010 at 07:41
Total hypocrisy, Costa Rica, as well as my country (sadly) is a drug bridge and a corruption paradise. Church instead would be helping poverty or something, instead of ruining something that moves economy

Anyway, we have to behave meanwhile, the rest of the world is not evolved enough for metal.
Varegan - 28.07.2010 at 09:31
Thanks to catholic for propagation marduk's gonna have more audience in costa rica.
Daggon - 28.07.2010 at 09:52
Well, he just asked for some respect, even if that doesn't change things for the band (maybe some more attention), Segura now will be seen as someone who raised his voice against this "disrespectful" band, and probably that's what he wanted, who knows, after all both sides are getting something good, in some strange and very weird way.
Xnoybis - 28.07.2010 at 11:14
With the "he should go die" responses, i am going to laugh my fucking head off the next time a metalhead whines that they deserve respect.
RavenLord - 28.07.2010 at 12:06
Written by Andreas on 27.07.2010 at 19:00

Fuck 'em. You have a right to be offended, and if your religious views oppose those of a band performing near you, well that's tough shit. I hope the priest in the article never travels to Norway.
And trying to point out the sanctity of an icon of a torture device to a band like Marduk is...well...missing the point a bit. In fact, entirely.

I think Marduk should cover Arethra Franklin's 'Respect' at this gig. 'You asked for it...so here it is!'
powcernacy - 28.07.2010 at 16:34
Hello everyone, please read this short article:

I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm a fan of some extreme bands myself. Akercocke is what comes to my mind first. I adore their music, but, as far as those crosses are concerned... don't you smell a distant scent of ignorance here? Not to say mindlessness...
Andreas - 28.07.2010 at 16:55
Written by RavenLord on 28.07.2010 at 12:06

Written by Andreas on 27.07.2010 at 19:00

Fuck 'em.

Preferably not. Call me narrowminded, but I don't like to start arguments with people whose values differ from mine. Doing so is only pathetically and childish provoking, actually the same as where bands like Marduk are all about. But that's a whole other story of corpse.
Dark Doom - 28.07.2010 at 19:50
MARDUK must fuck the religion and religious fuckers
InnerSelf - 28.07.2010 at 23:29
Written by Got Mayhem? on 27.07.2010 at 17:03

Had a good laugh reading this
Perseverence - 29.07.2010 at 00:27
I'm gonna get a bunch of Satanists together and protest As I Lay Dying and The Devil Wears Prada.:necro: But I must say that any death threats made to the Priest should stop. All of Yall are asses.
DoomGuard - 29.07.2010 at 07:40
I'm Catholic, say something bitches
R.I.Pdeadlegends - 29.07.2010 at 10:05
Sorry but this fight is old and pointless... Pandas vs Pedophiles... Pandas rip them apart, end of story
Skatmat - 29.07.2010 at 17:45
Fucking ridicilous. Why whould they need to show respect if they do not gain any respect...
DemonofDarkness - 30.07.2010 at 20:24
Written by rpsgc on 27.07.2010 at 17:59

True , and the attitude of that priest is really stupid and ridiculous ...
Fane - 31.07.2010 at 05:16
Let teh drama begin! Feed the media and let us hear some funny stories about ourselves!
SatyriconChick - 04.08.2010 at 00:35
Oh brother is all I've got to say...
dodstink - 20.08.2010 at 14:19
HEIL Marduk!
ThunderAxe1989 - 06.10.2012 at 21:01
I know this story is a couple years old but, the gig they performed in was called the "Baphomet Fest" right? So..... Why was only Marduk in particular being picked on Isn't it safe to say that all the bands were a bit on the Satanic side? That's what the name of the festival would suggest.

News Marduk - Banned From Playing In Minsk For Being An Affront To Christian Values 6 21.05.2012 by theFIST
News Marduk - Announce Tour Dates For Belarus, Ukraine And Russia 6 14.03.2007 by Bad English
Albums Marduk - Souls For Belial [Single] 4.5 17.04.2012 by NocturnalStalker
News Faith No More - Former Singer Broke, Asks For Help 4 05.12.2014 by Bad English
Events CRC, San Jose - Marduk + Vader: South American Tour 3 30.11.2007 by Robstar