Heritage, the new album from Swedish prog metallers Opeth, is now streaming in its entirety at NPR.

Heritage is set for a September 20th release via Roadrunner records. More information about the album was previous reported over here and here.

Source: npr.org
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 12.09.2011 by BudDa

Comments

Milena - 12.09.2011 at 10:29
I think half of the world has already heard it due to leak.
BaZaH - 12.09.2011 at 10:51
Metalorgy - 12.09.2011 at 13:49
Well, I'm still going to wait for my mail-order and listen to it the old fashioned way with a glass of wine.
Storchillarn - 12.09.2011 at 14:22
You'll need more than a glass of wine to appreciate Heritage. More like.. three bottels.
advent - 12.09.2011 at 15:02
Written by Storchillarn on 12.09.2011 at 14:22

Yes same idea came to my mind
Unhealer - 12.09.2011 at 15:56
Written by Storchillarn on 12.09.2011 at 14:22

LOL at that comment

Over here, I liked Heritage since the first listen. Now I absolutely love it.
But I can see why so many fans don't like it, Mikael warned us after all.

Still, I believe at least some guys will be able to appreciate the record after some time or after they calm down a bit.
bodomroy - 12.09.2011 at 16:20
At first i liked it, it's not easy to listen this album, it will take some time
atrox - 12.09.2011 at 16:28
Hmm.. mellow..
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 16:38
I'm angry at Opeth for releasing an all-easy-listening album, but I appreciate the album in itself. So when I rate it, I'd give it a 7 maximum, not because the album is musically average (it isnt) but because I am disapponted, having waited for a good Opeth album for two years only to get this.

Again, I do appreciate the music in itself.
malaikat - 12.09.2011 at 17:17
Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 16:38

That's some mighty objective thinking you've got there.
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 17:24
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:17

Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 16:38

That's some mighty objective thinking you've got there.

Objectivity my ass

Seriously, when I rate an album, I have to take the band's status and history into consideration, and I believe that's being objective.
And no, I have every right to lower my rating when I'm disappointed with the effort, I'm a human with opinions, not a machine, you know.
malaikat - 12.09.2011 at 17:38
Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 17:24

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:17

Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 16:38

That's some mighty objective thinking you've got there.

Objectivity my ass

Ofcourse you can, I didn't say you couldn't. But it is kinda lame and childish.
To each his own, I suppose.
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 17:44
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:38

Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 17:24

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:17

Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 16:38

That's some mighty objective thinking you've got there.

Objectivity my ass

But it is kinda lame and childish.

"lame and childish" is rating an album 1 or 2 because "it sucks". Lowering the rating by one point because you don't like the direction the band is going is neither lame nor childish, my good man. I demand an apology or I'll sue.

malaikat - 12.09.2011 at 17:49
@ Fredd

Sorry, don't like overly subjective people. I understand that we "aren't machines", but I appreciate some level of rational objectivity in others when discussing music or other forms of art.
Anyway, offtopic
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 17:51
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

@ Fredd

Anyway, offtopic

I love you too.
Scuzzy McDouche - 12.09.2011 at 17:57
Have you all gone deaf or something? This album is brilliant, and although I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, in MY opinion if you think this album is weak, you are out of your fucking mind. Granted, it took me a few listens as well, but now I can't stop. It is all I have listened to for a week now.

Anyway, I think their next album will be back to their prog-death sound. They have not quit being a metal band, they just like to experiment with different styles. Ghost Reveries came right after they did Damnation, and it is one of their hardest and darkest albums to date.

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.
Benjamin - 12.09.2011 at 17:57
Wow, I really needed more of a warning before listening to this. This album is fused together.... badly.
I don't get it.... may need another 15 listens. At this stage I can't appreciate it. Bring back Peter Lindgren!!!
JD - 12.09.2011 at 18:01
What the deal with the "Mikael warned us after all" I'm sick of hearing this phrase! I think it's a smart way to sell their new weird record.

Anyway about the album I think it's a solid one I'd give it a 7 or 8.
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 18:03
Written by Benjamin on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

This album is fused together.... badly.

Bring back Peter Lindgren!!!

I agree
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 18:07
Written by JD on 12.09.2011 at 18:01

Anyway about the album I think it's a solid one I'd give it a 7 or 8.

Shut up, you lame, childish hater!!!!111one

EDIT: Dont take this seriously, Malaikat
The Shape 1973 - 12.09.2011 at 18:12
JD - 12.09.2011 at 18:18
Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 18:07

Written by JD on 12.09.2011 at 18:01

Anyway about the album I think it's a solid one I'd give it a 7 or 8.

Shut up, you lame, childish hater!!!!111one

It's my opinion, you bitch, you just have to deal with. (har har har)
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 18:22
Written by JD on 12.09.2011 at 18:18

Written by Fredd on 12.09.2011 at 18:07

Written by JD on 12.09.2011 at 18:01

Anyway about the album I think it's a solid one I'd give it a 7 or 8.

Shut up, you lame, childish hater!!!!111one

It's my opinion, you bitch, you just have to deal with. (har har har)

Don't you har-har me!
jadawal - 12.09.2011 at 18:23
album is great, although I found the drumming to be both less fine-tuned and more stale then opeth's previous albums, not just because of the loss of metal elements but there just not as complex as I would want it to be. still really good though, definatly an 8 or 9.
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 18:26
Written by jadawal on 12.09.2011 at 18:23

Your not funny fredd.

davemurray3205 - 12.09.2011 at 18:49
To everyone whining about this new ablum, keep in mind that's why opeth is awesome. Mikael has always done what he pleases and this is what keeps things interesting. Each Album has a somewhat different sound, but it still sounds like opeth. So this one is a little more proggy, so what we can't expect them to keep pumping out the same kind of material every album. It might not be as heavy as watershed was, but it still sounds like opeth doesn't it? I think it's pretty freaking sweet, and i admire Mikael for doing what the hell he wants and made a masterpiece here!
Winterthrone - 12.09.2011 at 18:51
I'm not sure I like it yet. What disapoints me is that it sounds too much like Porcupine Tree with Akerfeldt's voice. The sound of Opeth was mixing Swedish Death Metal with Progressive rock, now they threw all the Death Metal elements away so I think they lost a great deal of their originality. They sound like any other 70's worshipping prog rock band which I think is really lame. The music in itself is good, it's just not Opethish enough.
enumaelis - 12.09.2011 at 19:22
It is a boring album for me. Doesnt matter the name of the band on the cover, anyway I might give some more listenings, but after 2, doesnt convince me. And if I need 15 or a bottle of wine to enjoy it -as someone said some comments up here- :S I'd rather listen some other album XD
opeth771 - 12.09.2011 at 19:42
Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.

Couldn't have said it better!
MeloDeathViking - 12.09.2011 at 20:10
After hearing this album, I love it. I definitely think this album is the natural progression of what they did on Watershed. The growls may not be there, but the riffs are killer and I think this is some of the best vocal work they've ever had. I wish Damnation had been more like this, because this is how an Opeth album with only clean vocals should sound like.
Opethian - 12.09.2011 at 20:13
Ah! I can hold up for one more week! I have been a Huge fan for 6 years already and if theres one thing that Opeth does not do is disappoint
Opethian - 12.09.2011 at 20:19
Written by opeth771 on 12.09.2011 at 19:42

Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.

Couldn't have said it better!

I personally thought the new Leaves Eyes was everything but a 'Metal' album, but from what i am reading a lot of people have the same thing to say about Heritage? September 20th for the official US release
Gopherhawk - 12.09.2011 at 21:44
I wish people would realize that just because Heritage is from Opeth doesn't mean you have to worship it.
Evil Chip - 12.09.2011 at 21:56
So vintage, so ironic, oh yeah!
Mr. Doctor - 12.09.2011 at 22:51
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Define "overly subjective" because if you call people "overly subjective for giving this album a 7, then you're just wrong.
Without comparing it to their discography since it's a completely different style) and just looking at the music from what it is... I'll still give it something around 7,5. It's good, that's it for me.
Fredd - 12.09.2011 at 22:57
Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Thanks
JD - 12.09.2011 at 22:58
Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Agreed.

Plus:

"Mikael warned us after all".
Carrion Misery - 12.09.2011 at 23:08
Tl;dr: Cd is pretty sweet. Imo it's refreshingly progressive and doesn't let it's arms open completely to accessibility. Throw out any expectations or others' interpretations, and just listen to the album.

I really dug Heritage right away. Which surprised me. I probably say this every time Opeth comes up, but Damnation was their last CD I liked chronologically. I do want to revisit Ghost Reveries and Watershed now. I've tried in the past to enjoy those albums, but they failed each time. I even found myself scoffing anytime someone brought up Opeth in a conversation.

Admittedly, Heritage seems rather directionless. That usually would bother me, but I think the progressive musicianship, instrumentation synergy and production clarity are very well done, and makes up for the wandering song structures. Perhaps I need to view the cd at different perspective to figure out what I view as "directionless". It's rather enjoyable to follow the musical contouring grooves between everything, especially the drums and bass. I can't help to put the album on repeat.

I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who says this album isn't metal. It's soft and subtle, but it is absolutely still metal, and captures the progressive genre perfectly. How can anyone say this doesn't sound like Opeth? I don't care what Hitler said, it's very reminiscent of Damnation just not as gloomy, and little more jazzy/ prog rock. Sure there is some "experimentation" going on, but if the sound didn't change, we'd still have people complaining anyways (probably me). From what others see as only experimentation, I just see as growing. I'm sure they'll bring back the growls and faster tempos.

I stopped giving a shit about Opeth for a while, and this CD has somewhat rekindled my interested again. That's a good thing.
Marcus - 13.09.2011 at 08:47
Not even gonna listen til I get my signed copy from the concert. But did anyone else find it funny that NPR is streaming ANOTHER metal album. Funny stuff.
malaikat - 13.09.2011 at 11:23
Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Well, he said (paraphrase) "This isn't an average album, but I give it 7 because I'm dissapointed because of the long wait". Look, I have no problem if someone gives album a 1 or 2, that's ok if you really have the reasons to rate the album that way, but this is overly subjective, being that he puts his own ill feelings because of the "wait" in front of objective worth of an album.

Again, I have no problem with low ratings (again, if you have reasons beside downrating to do that), but with afforementioned subjectivity. In general, not just here on MS.
atrox - 13.09.2011 at 11:33
Maybe it's now emotionally safer to start waiting for new Bloodbath album
Fredd - 13.09.2011 at 17:00
Written by malaikat on 13.09.2011 at 11:23

Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Exuse me, I meant I was disappointed with the direction this band has taken on the last two albums. The wait itself had nothing to do with it, really.
BitterCOld - 13.09.2011 at 19:49
Written by Marcus on 13.09.2011 at 08:47

well, it's not really a metal album... but it is hilarious to see this stuff (and Krallice) streaming on that site/station. i guess it's an attempt to draw in the young audience to listen to their programming... hoping metal fans are empty vessels waiting to be told how to think, i suppose.
Marcus - 13.09.2011 at 20:14
Written by BitterCOld on 13.09.2011 at 19:49

Written by Marcus on 13.09.2011 at 08:47

True but it is still from a metal band. Don't forget that they streamed some new WITTR as well. Whether they're really trying to or not, kudos to them for being a somewhat major media station/site and actually showcasing some metal. Not many other places would do that, although you may be totally right and it could just be to lure in young metal heads. But if that were the case I feel like they would play Bodom or Suicide Silence or whatever the kids are listening to these days
Sr Tumnus - 14.09.2011 at 07:32
Good step for Opeth!!! like it!!!

we are the servants!!
malaikat - 14.09.2011 at 10:00
Written by Fredd on 13.09.2011 at 17:00

Written by malaikat on 13.09.2011 at 11:23

Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.09.2011 at 22:51

Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

Oh, sorry then, I tottaly missunderstud I thought you were just agravated because of the, well, wait between two albums. My bad
Panterica - 15.09.2011 at 15:01
Let me get it straight, the album isn't out yet? Cause I just saw today a copy of it in a store, and as far as I know, having the album in Israel before Europe and America is quite absord!
SauradipGhosh - 18.09.2011 at 17:08
I think it's a totally outstanding album. Not entire flawless, But even then BWP wasn't. Mikael himself had aditted it.
SauradipGhosh - 18.09.2011 at 17:09
I feel the dark, Folklore, Haxprocess, The lines in my hand are brilliant

News Cannabis Corpse - Entire New Album Streaming Online 8.5 11.07.2011 by
News In Mourning - Entire New Album Streaming Online 8.5 12.04.2012 by BloodTears
News Glorior Belli - Entire New Album Streaming Online 8.5 29.10.2013 by HitokiriNate85
News Marilyn Manson - Entire New Album Streaming Online 8.5 02.05.2012 by exomorphyx89
News Korn - Entire New Album Streaming Online 8.5 03.12.2011 by koob