Following the week long 30th Anniversary celebration, which included many guest appearances (Dave Mustaine, Jason Newsted, King Diamond, Scott Ian and many more) as well as the posting of unreleased songs from the Death Magnetic album, Metallica has officially released the EP Beyond Magnetic, which was originally emailed/sent to fan club members.

The band explains on their official website: "This week, we're releasing those four tracks through iTunes exclusively in North America and on iTunes and additional digital retailers in other parts of the world as the Beyond Magnetic EP. All four studio versions of these songs were sent to Met Club members for free immediately following their live debut on stage at the Fillmore and tomorrow they will be available to everyone via the magic of digital downloading. They are the rough mixes, unfinished to their original degree of mixing from March of 2008, and those of you with very keen senses of sound might recognize bits and pieces from the 'Mission Metallica' videos posted in the summer of 2008."

The Beyond Magnetic EP tracklist and cover art:

01. Hate Train
02. Just A Bullet Away
03. Hell And Back
04. Rebel Of Babylon

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 16.12.2011 by Rog-Mothoth

Comments

JD - 16.12.2011 at 13:29
Old news.
Fenrisborg - 16.12.2011 at 16:16
Are these new songs, or old and previously unreleased songs?
marcha2510 - 16.12.2011 at 17:16
Written by Fenrisborg on 16.12.2011 at 16:16

Are these new songs, or old and previously unreleased songs?

Previously unreleased songs.
liveordie - 16.12.2011 at 18:26
Stop stealing!!!
Mindheist - 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Written by liveordie on 16.12.2011 at 18:26

Stop stealing!!!

Stop stealing what?
Troy Killjoy - 16.12.2011 at 20:39
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?
Kincaid - 16.12.2011 at 21:27
Although i dont care about their new stuff i'm glad that they are still around cause i want to see them live one more time before they disappear
Mindheist - 16.12.2011 at 21:31
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:39

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?

Metallica stealing money?! Troy, son, gods don't steal.
Troy Killjoy - 16.12.2011 at 21:37
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 21:31
Metallica stealing money?! Troy, son, gods don't steal.

Hermes.
JÄY - 16.12.2011 at 22:15
A must-have
Lit. - 16.12.2011 at 22:16
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 21:31

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:39

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?

Metallica stealing money?! Troy, son, gods don't steal.

From Wikipedia:
Hermes is the great messenger of the gods in Greek mythology and a guide to the Underworld. Hermes was born on Mount Kyllini in Arcadia. An Olympian god, he is also the patron of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of the cunning of thieves, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics and sports, of weights and measures, of invention, and of commerce in general.

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.
Mindheist - 16.12.2011 at 22:47
Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

From Wikipedia:

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.

hmmm tell me again, he's fictional right? I thought so.
Lit. - 16.12.2011 at 22:57
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 22:47

Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

From Wikipedia:

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.

hmmm tell me again, he's fictional right? I thought so.

I'm gonna take a wild shot an say History isn't your best subject?
Mindheist - 16.12.2011 at 23:10
Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:57

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 22:47

Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

From Wikipedia:

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.

hmmm tell me again, he's fictional right? I thought so.

I'm gonna take a wild shot an say History isn't your best subject?

Lit, seriously, are you telling me that the myths and legends that embody the Greek mythology are real? That Hermes, the cunning trickster, does really exist? And that he truly was behind the "stealth" of Apollo's cattle?
Lit. - 16.12.2011 at 23:28
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 23:10

Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:57

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 22:47

Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

From Wikipedia:

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.

hmmm tell me again, he's fictional right? I thought so.

I'm gonna take a wild shot an say History isn't your best subject?

Irregardless if they were real or not, people did indeed worship them as gods and did believe in them and their traits. You said that Gods Don't Steal by proverbially comparing Metallica to any God you may or may not believe in. And thus, I brought up the fact that you were wrong about Gods not stealing, because in truth a God (Hermes) did steal or at least inspired Thievery. Saying Hermes and other Greek Gods weren't real is in no way different than saying the God or Gods you believe in isn't or aren't real.
HeadStone - 16.12.2011 at 23:41
Good job Metallica
Jeeers - 16.12.2011 at 23:43
Wierd conversation progression
Mindheist - 17.12.2011 at 00:09
Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 23:28

The Greek mythology encloses stories, not sacred texts. Regardless of whether or not I believe in them, the fact is, it was created by insanely visionary philosophers and bards and not oracles or prophets just like the Arabian Nights. They were recorded in literary works as well as classical drama from Hesiod's to Homer's which excludes the idea of them being chronicled by a divine power, and to a greater extent the possibility that gods could steal. The Greeks used those myths to interpret life as it truly lies around them after their ancestors came up with a set of supreme beings to worship. Iliad and Odyssey are priceless diamonds but forgive me if I don't believe that the reason why lightning strikes is because somebody has angered Zeus or Apollo.

What I mean by metaphorically comparing Metallica to gods is that these guys have no longer anything to prove, they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash. That's it. But I get your point though

EDIT: In order to avoid trolling here, and in case you would like to continue this discussion, PM me your response and I'd be happy to answer you back.

Sorry for getting off-topic everyone.
Lit. - 17.12.2011 at 00:27
Written by Mindheist on 17.12.2011 at 00:09

Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 23:28

EDIT: In order to avoid trolling, and in case you would like to continue this discussion, PM your response and I'd be happy to answer you back. .

Sorry for getting off-topic everyone.

Nevermind it. You got me. I surrender.
All mythology discussion aside, I don't think Metallica have been the kings of Thrash for a while now. Not since the Black Album.
I also can't help but notice a bit of irony in that statement: "they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash." They could've teamed up with a Latina pop dancer or a white rapper for a collab project, but instead they teamed up with Lou Reed, guitarist/vocalist for one of the most influencial rock bands of the 60's and yet they came out with one of (if not THE) worst album of the decade.
Xnoybis - 17.12.2011 at 00:46
Back on track...
Mindheist - 17.12.2011 at 00:51
Written by Lit. on 17.12.2011 at 00:27

Nevermind it. You got me. I surrender.

Well, here's why I think they are untouchable. During their 30-year journey, they have released four timeless masterpieces that basically defined thrash metal. And sure after The Black Album they went downhill but no band has ever come even close to making an album in the vein of Puppets, Justice, Ride The Lightning or Kill'Em All. Back in the day when people thought that Motorhead, Sabbath, Priest and Diamond Head were the heaviest music could get, something called Metallica came into town and destroyed the world with amazing crushing riffs that no other band had it. And what about James' amazing vocals? Live in Russia in front of zillions can still manage to sing like a raging demon with enthralling growls and mesmerizing clean vocals. Certainly Dave couldn't have done it and, neither Tom nor John.

Metallica maybe will never succeed to recatch their early sound, and frankly I'm not even sure if they are even trying to; but one thing for sure, their contributions, popularity and success will forever stay carved in history. They will forever remain the band that got me into metal and that's the case for millions others. And dammit if bashing them is gonna make me a true metalhead then I'm fucking proud to be a poser.
whatdeathbrings - 17.12.2011 at 01:42
Written by Kincaid on 16.12.2011 at 21:27

No! Its time to disappeeeaarr yeah yeahya
WorpeX - 17.12.2011 at 02:40
Quote:

I couldn't have said it any better. The Black Album is a masterpiece as well but people here on metalstorm are too afraid to admit it. No other album in history brought metal into the spotlight like this album - even if it wasn't as heavy as the previous releases - it was still amazing work.
Angelic Storm - 17.12.2011 at 03:02
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 02:40

Calling the Black Album a "masterpiece" is totally subjective, so people can dislike it without having to "admit" to anything.

Though it's exactly because of the fact the album brought metal into the spotlight and more into the mainstream, that it's reviled so much.
Boxcar Willy - 17.12.2011 at 03:06
Imma run to the store right now!
WorpeX - 17.12.2011 at 03:21
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.12.2011 at 03:02

Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 02:40

The fact that people don't like it because its mainstream is exactly why I said that metalstorm members are afraid to admit it. This site has a clear bias towards the underground bands and a dislike for bands who are famous. Not that anything is wrong with this at all, i'm just pointing it out. I tend to agree with users on this site on most issues, but not this particular one.

"Masterpiece" isn't totally subjective. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece but I personally think its hideous. The word is simply by definition "the artists best work" and even if someone doesn't particularly like it, that doesn't change popular opinion of it.
Angelic Storm - 17.12.2011 at 03:34
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 03:21

I don't doubt that there are people who deep down like the album, but would never admit it publicly. That doesn't mean that it can't be dislliked in a genuine capacity though. You can't say that everyone who doesn't like is just afraid to admit that they do.

Popular opinion, whether that be in the mainstream, or on a site like this, cannot be used to accurately measure the quality of music. Therefore, the Black Album being Metallica's "best work" can only ever be stated as an opinion, not as a matter of fact.
Mindheist - 17.12.2011 at 03:39
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 03:21

Spot-on.
Lit. - 17.12.2011 at 06:03
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 03:21

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.
Kap'N Korrupt - 17.12.2011 at 06:36
Written by Lit. on 17.12.2011 at 06:03

Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 03:21

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Its been that way for awhile...

Underground Bands = Fuckin \/
Famous Bands = Fuckin OMGWTFFMLFTW over 9000 occupy Toronto, Wall Street, Tokyo, Obama...
SBGMetal - 17.12.2011 at 06:53
Let's jus set the record straight the black album sucks
Troy Killjoy - 17.12.2011 at 07:50
This site has a bias against mainstream bands? Check the top 20 again. Your argument is invalid.
Angelic Storm - 17.12.2011 at 09:04
Written by SBGMetal on 17.12.2011 at 06:53

Let's jus set the record straight the black album sucks

Yep, that's definitely set the record straight and no mistake, me-laddio! I shall adjust my opinion of the album forthwith, in light of this "fact". Thank you.
Nick le Bel - 17.12.2011 at 10:40
I love Metallica albums from the 80s and the early 90s, but they really need to stop making "shits" .. I mean - they are Metallica - they don't need that shit anymore - in my opinion - they just need to make concerts - till they can.
Cynic Metalhead - 17.12.2011 at 10:52
Written by Lit. on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 21:31

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:39

Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?

Metallica stealing money?! Troy, son, gods don't steal.

From Wikipedia:

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.

*Out of the Context crap* but may be this'll help you out.

Cynic Metalhead - 17.12.2011 at 11:00
Ahh..was really good to listen unreleased tracks after listening LULU for 15 times figuring it out what that crap was?!! But this EP was really soothing to my body. Time to take out my Metallica Tee out of my cupboard.
Mindheist - 17.12.2011 at 12:42
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 07:50

I think he's right. And I believe he wasn't referring to the site as a whole when he said that. He was denouning the hollow attitute of some people who think that jumping on the Metallica bashwagon is the key to becoming or at least to being widely considered as true metalheads. It's a lot cooler today to worship Barathrum and hate Metallica even if you secretly listen to the latter. It's the trendy thing to do these days .
Troy Killjoy - 17.12.2011 at 20:02
Written by Mindheist on 17.12.2011 at 12:42
It's the trendy thing to do these days .

Almost as trendy as claiming people who don't like Metallica are somehow lying.
Void Eater - 17.12.2011 at 20:11
Yeah... It's a lot trendier to be annoyed by people who bash mainstream bands than it is to actually bash mainstream bands. Because anybody who bashes a mainstream band is just close minded/lying, obviously.
Angelic Storm - 17.12.2011 at 20:36
Anyone who thinks that there aren't people who bash Metallica just too look "cool" and "true", are completely deluded. Of course, that's not to say that everyone who doesn't like them isn't being genuine about it. Obviously some people simply don't like them. But there's sheep and followers in the group of people who bash mainstream bands, just as there's sheep and followers who blindly worship anything a mainstream band does. The group think mentality is prevelant in the underground/extreme metal community just as much as it is in the mainstream one. That's a fact some might not like facing up to, but it's still a fact just the same.

However, to say anyone who dislikes Metallica is "lying", is no better than people who think anyone who likes Metallica is an "untr00" fanboy. They are both moronic and ridiculous stances to take. And let's face it, there's plenty of Metallica bashers who hold the latter view, so it's really no better.
Cynic Metalhead - 18.12.2011 at 13:51
Are we on the topic??

News 'The Big Four' DVD: New Release Dates Announced 7.5 25.09.2010 by Lit.
News Metallica - Release Two New Movie Clips 7.5 09.09.2013 by WarriorFenix
News Metallica - Continue Work On New Album, To Release Live Albums On CD 7.5 17.09.2014 by Zaphod
News Metallica - Release New DVD Trailer, Persian Tribute Album Available For Download 7.5 29.11.2012 by metal2000
News Quest Of Aidance - Release New Video, New Album Cover And Tracklist 4 20.04.2013 by BloodTears