So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 of 6

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Slayer666 - 01.03.2012 at 12:04
I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.
Seriously, the only winner I didn't see coming was Falloch (expected Alrakis or Lantlos).

I vote for one winner each year, it seems. Last year it was Agalloch, 40 Watt Sun this time.
The Gothic category was the biggest disappointment, though. Not a single album there that I absolutely wanted to win. Pretty sad.
Elio - 01.03.2012 at 12:10
Lmao obvious winners

but then again i'm responsible for a couple of them... so...
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 12:10
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 11:18

...because they stood out in the category.

Same with Amorphis every year.

What I'm amused about is that people complain about the people's vote... "MS is degrading, this is just the popular vote" duh duh... if you take 30 000 people and tell them to vote for the best (same as in politics), they're not gonna say "oh, let's check out the 100 nominees in the 10 cat's I'm interested in and decide"... no, 95% are just gonna vote for the name they know. The 5% of you who have taken advantage of this and found out about a good band (or 20), you're the winners.
Øyvind - 01.03.2012 at 12:54
So, 11 categories and not one vote for the winners. I'm obviously a hipster Now, Avantgarde, two best albums are on top, Wolves In The Throne Room, that's just fine, Chthonic over Vreid, why not, but Amon Amarth first and not at most fourth, that is a disappointment. Korn winning the Industrial category is just plain horror, considering Neuroactive, KMFDM, Gary Numan and Seth.ECT were in contention. I mean, the album is not bad, but it's not winning material either. Gothic category was mostly bland anyway, Folk/Viking, the winner was obvious, I'm glad that Primordial got so many votes, however I'm' not best pleased about Falkenbach's 5th place. Metalgaze was the toughest category for me, at least five albums deserved to win. New discoveries - Ixion first and foremost, 40 Watt Sun, Dornenreich.
Daniell - 01.03.2012 at 12:57
Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.

If you posted a list of your predictions a week ago, your words could have had some merit. Now that the results are in, anyone can claim that they predicted them. And all such claims are equally preposterous.

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners
Cynic Metalhead - 01.03.2012 at 13:12
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 12:57

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners

Nice! and i guessed 14 correct and still disappointed to see Machine Head taking Thrash category. Meh.
Cynic Metalhead - 01.03.2012 at 13:32
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 12:10

Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 11:18

...because they stood out in the category.

Same with Amorphis every year.

That's quite a good rant.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 13:34
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 12:10

if you take 30 000 people ....

30,000+ votes were cast, that doesn't mean that many people voted
Most people cats votes in multiple categories. It wouldn't surprise me if not even 3,000 people in total voted.
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 13:37
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 13:34

30,000+ votes were cast, that doesn't mean that many people voted

I was thinking about our user database, which was quite a bad estimate, but even with 3 000 people, my remark stands.
Cynic Metalhead - 01.03.2012 at 13:55
This is crazy as pig nuts.

Melodeath-Amon Amarth!!

How can you possibly think of that when it straightforwardly this award belongs to Insomnium?!!!
Nardor - 01.03.2012 at 14:07
Insomnium and Vektor lost to the better-known names! :S
sorin - 01.03.2012 at 14:10
Machine Head trash metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

much better Havok and Onslaught, both are the best albums of this year.
Slayer666 - 01.03.2012 at 14:17
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 12:57

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners

I thought it was too bloody obvious to begin with. FYI, I mentioned WitTR months ago because it was a part of some discussion related to BaN, I think, and didn't want to even bother mentioning the other more than obvious winners.

And wait, what? Are you honestly saying you didn't predict In Flames, Devin Townsend, Wolves In The Throne Room, 40 Watt Sun, Esoteric, Draconian, Amon Amarth, Septicflesh, Machine Head etc? Then either you're not following up on what's popular nowadays or you live in a fairytale world where everyone really checks out every album and doesn't just throw his vote at the biggest name on the list.
Justicelust - 01.03.2012 at 14:20
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.03.2012 at 13:55

This is crazy as pig nuts.

Melodeath-Amon Amarth!!

Lethean - 01.03.2012 at 14:30
What is exactly surprising about opeth music in their last album ?
Daniell - 01.03.2012 at 14:31
Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 14:17

Your guesses are wong I'm afraid. I didn't predict all of the above, because I wasn't trying to get inside the hive mind of the general metal public. I tried to predict the best winners, not the most popular ones. I sincerely hope you can see the difference.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 14:35
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 14:31

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 14:17

Predicting has nothing to who you deem best. Had I predicted the winners I would have had most categories correct. When I cast my votes it had nothing to do with preidciotns because my vote doesn't predict my vote reflects my taste, which is something entirely different to predicting.
Nemmeth - 01.03.2012 at 14:36
Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is a golden record so I deff support the number one vote at the folk/pagan/whatevers/whatevers section (srsly, just call it folk).
Don't really approve of Suidakra being higher ranked than Falkenbach though..
This year will be very interesting for folk metal. Especially Ensiferum, Falkenbach (that's damned quick..) and Skálmöld!
Slayer666 - 01.03.2012 at 14:40
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 14:31

I don't understand the problem, then. I voted for whom I deemed best, and that happened to concede with the general opinion (read: popular) once, with 40 Watt Sun. None of the others I voted for won, most of them didn't even make it to top 5. I simply stated that I already knew most winners even before the 1st of March.
Tornado Of Souls - 01.03.2012 at 14:45
I'm happy Cormorant made it onto the prog list with write in votes. Disappointed Machine Head won thrash, i thought that album was terrible.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 14:45
Pre·dict
   [pri-dikt] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to declare or tell in advance; prophesy; foretell: to predict the weather; to predict the fall of a civilization.

verb (used without object)
to foretell the future; make a prediction.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 01.03.2012 at 14:47
Quote:
Honestly, Heritage to me was decent but Opethian's thought this album crashed like anything...so i genuinely accepted. i am amused to see Machine Head sweeping Thrash Metal category which i was in 1/1000 times wasn't even thinking to be a winner. Either it was Havok or Vektor.[Infact, all nominees were awesome.]

I've never been an Opethian, well not yet at least, but it was Heritage that drew in alot more interest than Watershed. I thought it was also better than Damnation when I eventually heard the rest of their discography afterwards. Havok got my vote and deserved the win they should have got....
InnerSelf - 01.03.2012 at 14:54
Written by -DC-002- on 01.03.2012 at 10:17

Results are!?.. and dang fang id was pretty confident that Ulcerate would win.

I kept my fingers crossed for them, but eventually the least Death Metal album won -_-

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 00:52

Dirge SEVENTH in post-metal voting? I listened to ALL of them and my second choice was Obscure Phoenix which was in SIXTH? I need to quit caring what other people think...

Did this catagory have the closest voting? I mean all of choices got a fair share amount of votes.

I was disappointed to see them at the seventh place, didn't expect them to win but I thought they got enough exposure through the last year that they would end up higher.

I was particularly surprised that Insomnium lost by a big margin, for some reason I had the idea that they should have won this easily.
The only result I totally resent is Falloch winning over Alrakis, Lantlos, Sleeping Peonies and An Autumn For My Crippled Children. I found it good and that's that
Daniell - 01.03.2012 at 15:51
Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 14:40

a small misunderstanding then, nothing to get worked up about
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 16:07
Written by InnerSelf on 01.03.2012 at 14:54

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

Yeah, I liked Falloch but it was like "meh, I just like it" if you get the tone (the tone sounds better in real life though hahaha).
I totally thought Deafheaven was going to win. I voted for Alrakis, kind of sad they got on 7th place.

Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 11:18
I'm not bitching at you for nominating it Just analyzing the results and bashing the unwashed masses, which is what this topic is for.

You got a point there. It was late and I was going to sleep barely 5 hours so I was already getting a bit cranky. Hopefully I didn't sound too bitchy.
___

Damn, guys... I came here with the will to post a shit load of whining but now that I read some pretty awful comments... I'm totally discouraged, which is only for the best I think. Oh well... Facts are facts: Staff Picks >>>> Awards. But I guess everyone knew that already!
demonsarising - 01.03.2012 at 16:55
I'm glad that Born of Osiris won for best Deathcore, they put out a truely awesome effort. Metallica's "biggest Letdown" wasn't really a letdown was it? I thought we'd all know it would be terrible, so that's not letting anybody down, that's just meeting expectations. I was quite surprised that Animals as Leaders won in the Djent/Math metal category. I think they might be a little more accessible, but Uneven Structure and Vildhjarta both had, in my opinion, much more ambitious albums that they handled with a great amount of skill.

Symphony X winning Progressive was definitely going to happen. I'm looking forward to the staff picks. Last year, I matched more votes with them than with the general populace, I'll see how it goes.
Sync - 01.03.2012 at 17:49
Best Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal Album - Korn...

...Well, seems legit.
Edmund Fogg - 01.03.2012 at 17:53
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 09:53

Sorry you disagree,but I believe a band or artist should be recognized for his/her accomplishment no matter it's genre.Not only that but there are so many bands that cross categories such as Revocation,Sylosis,Devin Townsend,........Don't see how that would go in line with what they do in the Grammys in less it just becomes a popularity contest.By the way I agree Iconoclast was no prog album ,I picked Leprous's" Bilateral".

It goes in the same line because it would also be a popularity contest. Just like the Grammy's have a Best album or the Oscars have a Best movie or best picture. if we want accurate results we need to compare oranges with oranges. I really like bands that breaks the mold of genre-definition as well, but for now we can put them in either Exprimental, Avant-Guarde or the dominating influence. I don't see how Revocation is hard to categorised thought.
SamuelSanchezAlvarez - 01.03.2012 at 17:55
Written by sorin on 01.03.2012 at 14:10

Machine Head trash metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

much better Havok and Onslaught, both are the best albums of this year.

Much better Vektor, this is the real best thrash album of the year, but you know, they aren't so famous like Machine Head...
Metal_Eaters - 01.03.2012 at 18:22
Machinehead is not even thrash !!! VEKTOR was a big revolution, They made thrash metal sound new after 20 years
Uldreth - 01.03.2012 at 18:28
I am surprised Korn won, I thought people here hated their latest.

The Neurotech album was just so much better anyways.
jsoft - 01.03.2012 at 18:29
Written by SamuelSanchezAlvarez on 01.03.2012 at 17:55

Written by sorin on 01.03.2012 at 14:10

Machine Head trash metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

much better Havok and Onslaught, both are the best albums of this year.

Amen to that!

Btw, i don't understand why Novembers Doom is on Best Melodeath choices, when the band is clearly a DOOM band.
The same goes to Draconian and some other bands.

Omnium Gatherum should have won, instead of Amon Amarth.

Sadly, some votes is about the name of the band, and not the album.
Druss - 01.03.2012 at 18:33
My bitching:

Only picked one winner, 40 Watt Sun, but was sad to see Ixion and Argus end up low enough down the votes in Doom Metal. Whitesnake winning hard rock.....I actually found that genuinely funny, so no bitching from me there (plus, I admit to finding one or two of the tracks of it OK). Heavy / Melodic Metal....so very disappointed to see Hell down in fourth. Amorphis being so far ahead honestly made me go ''Wtf?'' for a second before I checked out the number of votes in the Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal, so I guess that makes sense. Found it disappointing that IE won Power Metal, but did expect it. Symphony X winning Prog Metal, and by that margin....I'll take it as a win that my second favourite, Myrath, got second. Though I'm not a thrash metal fan, I agree with whoever made the argument earlier in this topic about MH being one of the most ''original'', depending on their own style rather than following along this revivalist thrash thing, for that I'm happy enough to see they won.

Anyway, that's enough bitching for me. Like MoraWintersoul has said, the winners were people who found new bands/albums to listen to thanks to the awards, and I found plenty, so cheers to the staff for their hard work.

Also, not to crack the whip or anything, but is there a designated date for when the staff picks'll be made known?
Mattybu - 01.03.2012 at 18:35
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 09:53

Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:59

I'd say having fucking Machine Head win for thrash is a worse crime.

Oh really. Some of the thrash bands on the list are revivalist copycats who are no more than pale shadows of old, classic bands (Vektor, Warbringer). Some young, but slightly fresher bands like Skeletonwitch or Toxic Holocaust gave us good albums, but they also come short on the originality scale. Other nominees are actually old bands that still manage to release albums that are at least half decent (Megadeth, Onslaught, Destruction). Machine Head, another old band, released a solid album that isn't copying anyone, because it's MH's own, recognizable style. So it doesn't really surprise me that they won.

And, to paraphrase your words, I'd say having fucking Anthrax receive 21 write-in votes is a worse crime.

Yeah, really; regardless of your opinions on them I would've taken Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust, or probably even Skeletonwitch (which I would give around a 7-7.5/10) over Machine Head. After listening to about 5 minutes of watery Machine Head I get bored and listen to other shit. Sorry I didn't design my opinion to please you.

And by the way, I would still put Machine Head winning as a worse crime than Anthrax receiving 21 votes. Much worse.
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 18:36
Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:29
The same goes to Draconian and some other bands.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah... No.

Sorry... Draconian aren't doom, same goes to Novembers Doom... Both bands have left their roots and while having some doom influences they jsut aren't doom anymore. Actually, I don't know what's the reason of inconsistency in Draconian's profile, I will make sure their genre is changed properly to what they are now which is doom gothic metal, NOT gothic doom metal (see the difference?).
BitterCOld - 01.03.2012 at 18:41
Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:29

The same goes to Draconian and some other bands.

why? because they have "doom" in their title?

challenge Marcel to a Doom-Off. that should be entertaining.
Iron Nostarion - 01.03.2012 at 18:47
Written by Nardor on 01.03.2012 at 14:07

Insomnium and Vektor lost to the better-known names! :S

Eh, I had to say that.
PFFFFFFFFFFT Surtur Rising. Was shit compared to One For Sorrow or even New World Shadows. -_-
jsoft - 01.03.2012 at 18:49
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 18:36

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:29
The same goes to Draconian and some other bands.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah... No.

Sorry... Draconian aren't doom, same goes to Novembers Doom... Both bands have left their roots and while having some doom influences they jsut aren't doom anymore. Actually, I don't know what's the reason of inconsistency, I would probably make sure their genre is changed properly to what they are now which is Doom gothic metal, NOT gothic doom metal (see the difference?).

Talking about Aphotic, in my opinion their sound is clearly doom. I don't hear much symphonic parts, comparing to Surtur Rising or New World Shadows.

Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2012 at 18:41

why? because they have "doom" in their title?

challenge Marcel to a Doom-Off. that should be entertaining.

It's clearly because of the name! Oh you...
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 18:50
Written by Druss on 01.03.2012 at 18:33

One to two weeks.
BitterCOld - 01.03.2012 at 18:50
Written by Edmund Fogg on 01.03.2012 at 17:53

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 09:53

It would be an absolute clusterfuck and utterly pointless.

as you pointed out, the highest rated album is the best gauge. any form of voting in the MSA's, whether "free range write-ins" (like surprise/let down) or staff selected would just be a popularity contest... like, golly, every other category. And if staff limited it to 10 nominees, think of all the whining, crying, bitching, moaning, avatar changing to bitch that took place this year over just Absu not getting in in Black. Then factor that across every genre when virtually every MS user feels like (to use one of my favorite Lucas quotes ever) "we tossed their bike in the canal" because we didn't like their favorite album as much as they did.

on second thought, it would be fucking awesome to read the melt-downs when the Top 10 of the year to vote for were a bunch of "obscure" bands that didn't even rack up 100 votes...
BitterCOld - 01.03.2012 at 18:53
Written by Druss on 01.03.2012 at 18:33

we like to let some time pass and the bitching about the user picks die down before we stoke the flames and unveil our own.

we spend two months working hard to get this done, so we like to savor the discord like a multi-course meal.
Întunecatul - 01.03.2012 at 19:12
I want to thank the ms awards for giving me "pointers" on some great metal. I gotta say, from the categories I voted, I'm disappointed with Korn's win. I see ppl don't like that Symphony X won, their album got my vote, but it was hard to choose between Iconoclast and Tales of the Sands by Myrath.
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 19:59
Written by Edmund Fogg on 01.03.2012 at 17:53

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 09:53

When bands like Amon Amarth,Machine Head,Amorphis,and Symphony X win,it's a popularity contest anyway.I don't want to lose the categories ,but it would be nice to have an overall favorite.Revocation often gets put in the death category as well as thrash,they have vast influences in their music,I believe their album and many others were overlooked this year.
Vod52 - 01.03.2012 at 20:02
Amorphis ? Why not
Edmund Fogg - 01.03.2012 at 20:10
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 19:59

Agreed with you here. I guess one way to do it would be to have a List generator that will go throught all the user created list named Best (year) album and select only the top 2 or 3 then create the list based on the number of time band x were cast in position y. I'm no programmer so I don't know if it is possible. From what I heard of Revocation I think it would go more in the Death scene then Thrash but that is debatable. When I was talking about bands defying categorisation I was more talking about bands such as Amogh Symphony, Unexpect, Sigh, Totdgetlitcher etch...That's why I didn't get the Revocation reference
Apothecary - 01.03.2012 at 20:33
My biggest disappointment is Machine Head winning for thrash. Seriously, Skeletonwitch and Havok's releases were much stronger (and more consistent) than Unto the Locust, which in my opinion was mediocre at best.
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 21:12
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2012 at 18:50

Written by Edmund Fogg on 01.03.2012 at 17:53

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 09:53

It would be an absolute clusterfuck and utterly pointless.

Cluster fuck? Pointless? Well isn't this thing that already? There are so many bands in the wrong categories.Keep the categories but have an overall favorite,That list thing doesn't work because it goes on a rating platform and not a number of votes.Let the staff pick the top 10 most rated albums of the year and let us readers vote,and of course write ins are accepted.There will always be bitching and crying........isn't that what these forums are for?
ß - 01.03.2012 at 21:15
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:12

There are so many bands in the wrong categories.

Such as?
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 21:35
November's Doom in the melodeth category,Symphony X in the prog,Machine Head in the thrash........I'm not saying where to place them all,but is Iconoclast more of a prog album then Deconstruction? Is Mastodon's The Hunter a true sludge album?
DraconionDevil - 01.03.2012 at 21:50
How on Earth is Machine Head ahead of Vektor on the best thrash of the year? Machine Head is barely thrash. I wouldn't even classify them as thrash in the true sense of the word. They're a pretty worthless band if you ask me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6