Bay-area thrash legends Testament have revealed more details about their upcoming full-length titled Dark Roots Of Earth, including the album cover, tracklist and release date.

The artwork was created by Eliran Kantor, who has worked with such bands as Sodom, Atheist, Sigh. Dark Roots Of Earth was produced, mixed and mastered once again by Andy Sneap (Arch Enemy, Nevermore, Accept, Exodus). Special bonus tracks were recorded, mixed and mastered by Juan Urteaga (Cattle Decapitation, Heathen, Vile, Sadus) at his Trident Studios. The follow-up to their 2008 release The Formation Of Damnation will be released on July 27th (Europe) and July 31st (North America) via Nuclear Blast Records.

Dark Roots Of Earth CD/DVD tracklist:

13. Throne Of Thornes [extended version] [bonus]
+ Bonus DVD

[Also thanks to kual21 and Kincaid for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Testament

Posted: 16.05.2012 by qlacs

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 13:24
It feels like I've already been waiting forever for this album to come out! lol

Very nice artwork, though the classic logo would look better with it. Love the choice of songs they've decided to cover as bonuses too!
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 13:34
Most probably can do without this Testament album just like that all the ones after The New Order (and half of that one even) were redundant as hell.
Daniell - 16.05.2012 at 13:52
Testament is like McDonald's. Not tasty at all, but lots of people love it. I doubt the new album will change it. The release will suck, but fans will lap it up like they wolf down all the crap in McDonald's.
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 13:55
Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 13:52

PLease not again after yesterday. Once again we agree, this is getting creepy
I like your McDonald's comparison. Shitty burgers that people love, only the fries are quite good (which can be compared to half of The New Order and the entire The Lagecy)
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 13:58
Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 13:52

I've heard lots of people asserting very similar sentiments about many of the bands on your favourites list, not that I would ever do that of course. But then again, that's because I'm not a.....
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 14:35
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 13:58

But then again, that's because I'm not a.....

a what?
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 14:37
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 14:35
a what?

.... Something not very nice.
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 14:39
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 14:37

Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 14:35
a what?

.... Something not very nice.

Jesus H. Christ, woman, just say the word, or phrase, you wanted to say. As if we can somehow guess what it was you wanted to type.

But Daniell is right concerning Testament.
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 14:44
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 14:39

But Daniell is right concerning Testament.

But that was what I was wanting to say. I left that open to interpretation, because it could mean a lot of different things. But "something not very nice" encompasses all the possibilities.

If he's "right" concerning Testament, then he can prove it. Or you can, seeing as you agree with him. If you can't prove it, I'm sticking by my statement.
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 14:45
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 14:44

If you can't prove it, I'm sticking by my statement.

Like the Testament fangirl you are

SImple the sales numbers of the first two albums compared to the rest prove it. Plus all people without an inkling about thrash think their current stuff and crap Practice and Souls is great.
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 14:52
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 14:45
Like the Testament fangirl you are

I am a Testament fan, but I'm not a "fangirl". lol At least not in the way you're meaning anyway.

So does that mean you think the Black Album by Metallica and Countdown To Extinction by Megadeth are those bands' best albums? Both of those albums are their best selling, so going by the logic you've just used, TBA and CTE must be those bands' best works.

No, liking those albums isn't "proof" that someone has no inkling about thrash.
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 14:56
Thinking that anything by Testament after The New Order is proof such a lsitener is totally deaf and has no taste when it comes to good music
Daniell - 16.05.2012 at 14:57
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 13:58

Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 13:52

Whatever people say about many of the bands on my favourites list is okay, because I can live with other people's opinions, no matter how different from mine. Can you?
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:02
Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 14:57

Of course I can. Insulting bands themselves is one thing though, insulting their fans, is quite another. Have you never argued with anyone who's had a different opinion on a band you like to you? I'd be amazed if you haven't.

I myself of course, have said negative things about bands I don't like... I never put down the fans of those bands though.
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:04
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 14:56

I just heard my cat meowing from another room, so no, I'm not totally deaf... you've been proved wrong I'm afraid.
!J.O.O.E.! - 16.05.2012 at 15:05
Isn't that a bit like saying Slayer were once a 3 star Michelin restaurant, and are now a greasy spoon on the side of a highway?
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:06
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 16.05.2012 at 15:05

It is exactly like saying that.
Iron Nostarion - 16.05.2012 at 15:07
I love McDonald's and I love Testament. Fuck all. \m/ This will be awesome.
Sync - 16.05.2012 at 15:14
Hoping for a better release after the solid 'The Formation Of Damnation'. All this talk about McDonald's is making me extremely hungry
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:16
Looks like I might be alone in being a Testament fan who doesn't like McDonalds.... hehe
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 15:20
McDonald's is crap. So many people like that crap apparently but even objectively speaking it is crap. There is no denying it.
Daniell - 16.05.2012 at 15:23
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 15:02

It was not my intention to offend any fans. You may be the most wonderful person in the world, but if you listen to, say, "The Formation of Damnation", you listen to crap. But the crap doesn't make you any worse. So how exactly are you offended?
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:33
Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 15:23

Me dismissing your assertion that I "listen to crap" because I like Testament, does not mean that I am offended by you saying that.

@Marcel: Although it is going off-topic, I agree with what you said about McDonalds.
Apothecary - 16.05.2012 at 15:43
First of all, it's funny that I see a lot of the staffers bashing Testament and calling their stuff cheap and redundant, yet I've seen a lot of staffers praising the recent Overkill album as well. Most of the old-school thrash bands recycle their material. What else can they do? Either sell out, and piss off their fanbase, or keep writing music in the vein they always have been to please their sycophantic fans. The latter option seems more desirable, at least from a monetary standpoint... anywho... album cover looks badass, it'll be interesting to see what Gene Hoglan brought to the music for drumming. And a Testament cover of Powerslave sounds awesome!
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 15:47
Written by Apothecary on 16.05.2012 at 15:43

Mediocre the last one if you ask me.l Overkill never ever released anything near the quality of the first Testament. Feel The Fire and Taking Over were enjoyable but everything after was crap to mediocre
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 15:51
I was going to say to be fair to Marcel, he doesn't like Overkill either, and thinks they're even worse than Testament. lol
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 16.05.2012 at 15:58
Fuck me sideways, that's what an album cover is!!!!!!!! But this is one of my most anticipating albums of the year and this album art beats the shit inside and outside of the Nile and Fear Factory ones! I'm even more excited about their choice of covers!
Troy Killjoy - 16.05.2012 at 16:06
Written by Apothecary on 16.05.2012 at 15:43

You can mark me down as someone who will likely end up feeling the same about this album and Overkill's latest. It's weird to bash one band and not the other for doing what they're doing.
Troy Killjoy - 16.05.2012 at 16:07
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 15:20
...objectively speaking it is crap. There is no denying it.

You can't say "objectively" when you're being subjective. That's like trying to pass off your opinion as fact, which is pointless.
Absak - 16.05.2012 at 16:10
I don't get thrash purists, it's all mostly the same old with non-suck ass production. I love Bonded By Blood but I like Tempo Of The Damned more. I also think that Rust In Peace is a pile of mediocre crap. I've seen purists bash the newer Onslaught albums but praise their first ones, which have probably the most retarded production in the history of thrash metal (to the point I can't even listen to the damn things), not that I think production is the most important thing in thrash metal. I just don't get it.
Ozman - 16.05.2012 at 16:13
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2012 at 16:07

Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 15:20
...objectively speaking it is crap. There is no denying it.

there is such a thing as objectively good and bad when it comes to food. Too much salt, too much grease, flavours not balanced etc.
Void Eater - 16.05.2012 at 16:15
If Testament is objectively crap, then I'm looking forward to this atrocious turd sandwich.
Baz Anderson - 16.05.2012 at 16:39
That's a really nice cover!
Unhealer - 16.05.2012 at 17:38
Lovely cover. I'm expecting an average album with a just a couple of killer songs that will deliver live, let's see how it turns out...
exomorphyx89 - 16.05.2012 at 17:48
Written by Daniell on 16.05.2012 at 13:52

McDonald's is crap... But I totally disagree with you about Testament's new album. I have been a diehard metalhead since almost 25 years ago just as you are and I think that Testament deserves more respect my friend. We live in a free world and we can give any opinion we want to but I think is not necessary the sarcasm in your opinion. Probably Testament's new release will suck for you as some of your bands could suck for me too... however, we are talking about Testament... one of the best and underrated thrash bands of all time (at least for me)... so, if you think the new album will be crap just say it in a diplomatic way to avoid offending other brothers in metal. Probably new Testament's album won't be the thrash album of the year but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
bitethepain - 16.05.2012 at 18:47
I just recently got into Testament and have been going through their albums. Years ago, I had tried them and brushed them aside as a boring Metallica copycat. But after giving their first couple of albums a few listens I'm really getting into them. Their music just has a certain quality to it (bad production and all.) And their 90's album, The Gathering, is so kick ass. Looking forward to hearing this even though I haven't heard their last album yet. Probably get that one soon.
bitethepain - 16.05.2012 at 18:49
And oh yea... I love the artwork. There seems to be a certain theme (environmentalism, paganism) in the art and titles of the songs. Cool!
Baz Anderson - 16.05.2012 at 18:57
Just seen there's a bonus cover song of Queen's "Dragon Attack" too... that'll be interesting!!
Kub - 16.05.2012 at 19:08
What is this douchebaggery about Testament being crap? I agree that did not have the same brilliance as Metallica back in the 80s, but nobody did, and they were always just a step behind. I love the violin sound of Skolnick guitar and voice of Billy (when he's actualy singing, not growling). Testament is hugely underrated, that's for sure.
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 19:14
Written by Baz Anderson on 16.05.2012 at 18:57

Yep, that's one of Queen's best and most underrated songs... Can't wait to hear Testament's version of it!

Nice choice for the Maiden cover too. Not going for the more obvious "hits" is always better and more interesting.
!J.O.O.E.! - 16.05.2012 at 19:15
Written by Ozman on 16.05.2012 at 16:13

Objectively good "for you" is not the same as being good i.e. better tasting. And just because you spent £50 on a meal doesn't mean it's good for you.

The balance of ingredients being "objective" is also bollox and is totally dependant on opinion and taste, usually culturally. Take a family off a council housing estate and give them a meal at The Fat Duck and they'd probably turn their nose up at it and go to McDonald's. For it to be objectively better everyone would need to feel the same way. Which they don't.

Pomposity =/= Objectivity, but you and Daniel can tell each other otherwise over your expensive candlelit dinner together
exomorphyx89 - 16.05.2012 at 19:20
Written by Kub on 16.05.2012 at 19:08

Totally agree brother!
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 19:25
Going off-topic again, but... I kinda agree with Joe and Marcel about the food thing... It is possible to be objective about food. However, as Joe said, just because a food is "good for you", doesn't mean to say everyone will think it's "good". You can be objective about the healthiness (or unhealthiness) of food, or it's quality. However, taste itself is entirely subjective. Some people like how McDonalds tastes, even though the food itself isn't healthy for them.

Although it is wrong to suggest that everyone would need to agree on something for it to be objectively better. Just because something is a fact, that doesn't mean that some people won't try and refute, or deny it.
!J.O.O.E.! - 16.05.2012 at 19:30
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 19:25

Yes but those people will be wrong because there is proof to the contrary. I'm clearly talking about science and fact here, not religion and fantasy. I'll be a position to say that they're objectively wrong
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 19:39
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 16.05.2012 at 19:30

That is very true, of course. I was just asserting that not everyone has to agree on something for it to be an objective fact.
Super_Greg - 16.05.2012 at 19:39
Written by Void Eater on 16.05.2012 at 16:15

I will gladly share this turd sandwich with you sir

Album cover looks sweet, and I'm excited
!J.O.O.E.! - 16.05.2012 at 19:58
Back on topic, 'The Formation Of Damnation' is probably one of the few Testament albums I actually enjoy so will probably give this a glance.
Troy Killjoy - 16.05.2012 at 19:59
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.05.2012 at 19:25

Being objective about McDonald's would be saying "their meat contains too many by-products". Being subjective about McDonald's would be saying "their meat doesn't taste good".

It's the same with Testament. Objectively you can say their riffs may not be the most complicated in thrash, but subjectively you can say their riffs suck.
exomorphyx89 - 16.05.2012 at 20:14
Written by Void Eater on 16.05.2012 at 16:15

I want a piece too!
Angelic Storm - 16.05.2012 at 20:14
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2012 at 19:59

Yep, that's pretty much spot on.

Pages: [1] 2