Nightwish finally have an answer as to whom is the new permanent singer of the band. After much suspense, vocalist Floor Jansen is a keeper. Also, the Finnish band is now a six-piece as Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of Nightwish as well.

The band explained: "Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys."

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream... and this is it!"

Piper/whistleman Troy Donockley added: "Imaginaerum World Tour was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is Nightwish has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

The new official line-up can be seen on the live tour/documentary DVD Showtime, Storytime to be released on November 29th. You can watch a brand new trailer here directed by Ville Lipiäinen.

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 09.10.2013 by /Marius

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

Dima - 09.10.2013 at 12:48
Happy panda is I. Curious as to what kind of album they dish up this time. Has very much the potential to be a killer album.
Bad English - 09.10.2013 at 13:05
By by revamp
Rhiannon - 09.10.2013 at 13:10
Great, Floor is perfect for Nightwish.
FeskarN - 09.10.2013 at 13:25
Yeah, Finally! Can't wait to hear what the upcoming album will sound like with Floor on vocals
Billmaster - 09.10.2013 at 13:42
ReVamp??? :'(
E†han1994 - 09.10.2013 at 14:12
THIS IS AWESOME!!!
Angel_Lament - 09.10.2013 at 14:16
Ok, saw that coming by a long shot... which is awesome! but Revamp's future is in jeopardy ofc.
Plus, the trailer looks great
Athena - 09.10.2013 at 16:29
Yay!!!! I never thought they'd be smart enough to keep her!!!
Jiri - 09.10.2013 at 16:30
This hath been some of the best news Jiri has EVER read.
Spell - 09.10.2013 at 16:52
Best news this year!!! fuck yes!!!
Dark†SymphonY - 09.10.2013 at 16:55
Very great news!
Unhealer - 09.10.2013 at 17:41
Yes! Hope I can attend a few more gigs with this line-up before someone gets fired
Fred - 09.10.2013 at 18:23
Hahahaha exactly my thoughts
Beware Floor! How much will you hold onto this post?

Written by Unhealer on 09.10.2013 at 17:41

Kamil - 09.10.2013 at 18:33
Good to hear it.
Floor is the best and the only one real option for Nightwish.
She should join to this group shortly after After Forever disband.
Gothmog_Motsham - 09.10.2013 at 18:34
Let's hope they make at least one good album before the "fellowship" breaks again
Krix - 09.10.2013 at 18:40
She is the one who has the voice for Nightwish!!!
ScottyM - 09.10.2013 at 18:44
Good on them for bumping up Troy to full time. Definitely adds a large, unique dimension to the band's sound. Frankly one of the largest contributors to their last album's success. Glad to see that he's not going anywhere.
The Evergreen - 09.10.2013 at 18:46
It's great to see Troy finally get some recognition, he outlasted Annette after all. Also, it goes to show that you are never too old for metal and that just about any instrument can be used for metal. I like both of those thoughts.

Floor is a great pick, I wish this lineup well and hope it can stay around. I think some people get a bit wrapped up in the idea the idea that Nightwish has a revolving door for singers, but it simply is not so. Tarja was there for ten years, Annette for nearly six. Three singers in 17 years is not out of line. There are bands that go through lineup changes much faster. Nightwish still has only three former/ex members. Again, three people left in 17 years. Not bad. I'm not worried about the stability of lineup.

I'm sure ReVamp is special to many folks, but it doesn't need to die (Just look at Tarot) and (also like Tarot), Nightwish is probably a better place to be for a majority of the time.

Can't wait for the next tour!
Ernis - 09.10.2013 at 19:56
Written by The Evergreen on 09.10.2013 at 18:46

Can't wait for the next tour!

Exactly my point here. Marko has Tarot, Emppu has Brother Firetribe... If we take this into consideration, I can't see why Floor couldn't continue projects with ReVamp. Besides, the tour should be over now and there will still be time before we get to hear a new album by Nightwish. Let's hope they'll produce at least two with this particular team.
Neroese - 09.10.2013 at 20:25
Written by Bad English on 09.10.2013 at 13:05

By by revamp

I'm not sure. Tommy Karevik joined Kamelot as vocalist and he still recording new album with his band Seventh Wonder.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.10.2013 at 20:41
With frequent changes in line ups, i've now high hope to see myself in Nightwish one day.
Azarath - 09.10.2013 at 20:44
This is incredibly exciting news!

Floor is amazing, and I'm happy the band realized this as well. Nice of them to welcome Troy on board as well, though that opens the question of whether the band will think it's necessary to have various pipes and whistles all over the next album(s). I also wonder how much input Floor will be allowed to have regarding the songwriting. I doubt Tuomas will let someone else take over the lyrics for example.
Tristus Scriptor - 09.10.2013 at 20:44
Right on. Floor is a very capable vocalist, for whatever styles Tuomas and the boys can come up with and ask of her. That's nice for a change. Now I find them to be relevant again (for those moods I get into after brutalizing my mind with too much extreme sounds...which is a habit of mine). And Troy more than deserves an "official" slot. My dreamy soft side is a happy camper with this decision.
Fritillaria - 09.10.2013 at 20:56
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

as lead singer ?
Bad English - 09.10.2013 at 21:06
Written by Guest on 09.10.2013 at 20:25

Written by Bad English on 09.10.2013 at 13:05

By by revamp

Re Vamp has possibillity to be super grouo as After Forever once was and Nightwish is now , now its gone, 2 super grouos and touring ....
BynersA7X - 09.10.2013 at 22:13
I was starting to like that ReVamp thing... D:
But I must say... She is the beautifulest[?] Nightwish's singer ever.
AngelofDeth - 09.10.2013 at 22:19
HELL YUSS! NIGHTWISH IS BACK!

and damm..... I may or may not have shed a man tear at 00:52 .... I think I may have to buy this DVD now..
Cynic Metalhead - 09.10.2013 at 22:43
Written by Fritillaria on 09.10.2013 at 20:56

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

as lead singer ?

or i'd love to be on uilleann pipes. But, it's too late. They're confirmed to be in it.

Okay, back on topic. i gotta strong feeling that Nightwish has gotten line up which they were looking for. Best of very luck.
Daniell - 09.10.2013 at 22:46
She is a very good singer, she'll have no problems singing Tarja's songs. Also, she is less ugly than Tarja, but then that's not so hard
Marcel Hubregtse - 09.10.2013 at 23:52
It's surprising how many people give a shit. Cause really most people don't give a shiot about this averave band and this run of the mill singer.
Zenzero - 09.10.2013 at 23:57
I'm sad for Anette! She was perfect! I hope Floor will be as good as her!
Akula - 10.10.2013 at 01:04
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

Man, Nightwish must be one the bands with less changes in line ups. What are you talking about?
4look4rd - 10.10.2013 at 04:35
Written by The Evergreen on 09.10.2013 at 18:46

Can't wait for the next tour!

I actually think Nightwish is one of those bands that could easily adapt to various line up changes. Honestly how essential to the band are Jukka and Emppu? Even Marko could be easily replaced since after all Tapio Wilska was a much better male vocalist.

They are fine musicians on their own right but none of them are amazing, and none of them contribute much to the band's songwriting.

The lead singer is always a little harder to replace, and I never liked Annette, but overall the band still retained its quality and there were many suitable replacements for Tarja. Replacing Annette is easy, basically anything is going to be an upgrade.

The only crucial member of the band is Thomas all of the others are easily replaceable.
Teravolt_Danny - 10.10.2013 at 04:47
They went with Floor? SHOCKING!!!

With that said, good choice. Floor can sing the operatic stuff like Tarja could, but can also sing in more of a "normal" and powerful voice. It should allow them to do some different things.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

HAHAHAHA. 100% honest to god truth, I was sitting here reading through all these comments today and I said to myself "Wow, quite a few comments and Marcel still hasn't decided to show up only to sh** on this band like he always does with popular metal bands."

You didn't let me down. So predictable it's become a joke.
mikeprado30 - 10.10.2013 at 05:49
Nice news for the most popular band in this subgenre, getting the BEST and MOST BEAUTIFUL singer in the whole world (yes, fanboy mode on ), and also getting a great musician in Troy
Fritillaria - 10.10.2013 at 09:22
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

exactly my thoughts, I don't know really what's exciting about this news
M C Vice - 10.10.2013 at 11:38
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

Reckon they'll need a spoons player someday?

Written by Fred on 09.10.2013 at 18:23

Hahahaha exactly my thoughts
Beware Floor! How much will you hold onto this post?

2 albums. Same as Dio (1st stint Sabbath), Blaze Bayley, Ripper (twice), Olzen, the Candlemass singer between Vikstrom and Marcolin's second stint, etc.

Written by Teravolt_Danny on 10.10.2013 at 04:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

You didn't let me down. So predictable it's become a joke.

Imagine if Angela Gossow had got the gig. Marcel would've exploded!
Fritillaria - 10.10.2013 at 11:49
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 11:38

Imagine if Angela Gossow had got the gig. Marcel would've exploded!

which gig ? ! Angela is no comparable to this kinda of fuss for Floor and Nightwish, though I know you dislike Angela but still come on...
Night Theater - 10.10.2013 at 11:49
This is awesome news. I'm pretty excited for what will come.
M C Vice - 10.10.2013 at 12:10
Written by Fritillaria on 10.10.2013 at 11:49

Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 11:38

Imagine if Angela Gossow had got the gig. Marcel would've exploded!

When did I say I don't like Gossow? Anyway, I meant that merging 2 things Marcel disliked so much as Nightwish and Gossow would caiuse him to spontaneously combust (BANG!).
Fritillaria - 10.10.2013 at 12:13
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:10

alright , I think you wrote once on my list that because the German vegetarian is not there and ... and I DON'T remember the rest, I thought you might dislike her too BTW Marcel is pretty right about his point. I can't see why people get this excited about such news either what's really exciting !
M C Vice - 10.10.2013 at 12:49
Written by Fritillaria on 10.10.2013 at 12:13

Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:10

Before I read the full article and comments, I knew it would be like (don't bother trying to get the analogy here) Gus talking about Sony Bill. I'm more curious than excited. I like Nightwish (both eras) and they were always going to get a new singer so it's a case of who's the new singer, right, whatever, wait for a new album. The "OMG!! FLOOR!! OMG!!! is a bit over the top.
I don't think Gossow is one of the best vocalists, same as Ozzy, but I still like them as long as the music is good. Just not one of the best.
Fritillaria - 10.10.2013 at 12:55
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:49

The "OMG!! FLOOR!! OMG!!! is a bit over the top.

right on
Pandore - 10.10.2013 at 20:18
Am I the only who's not excited about this change?

That's great news for Nightwish, Floor is the perfect singer for them. But I'm not sure Nightwish is the perfect band for Floor. And with Floor being one of my favorite female metal singers, I'm more concerned about Floor than Nightwish.

I feel like Nightwish style is too "gentle", and that it will put Floor's power to a waste. Floor's voice goes very well with heavier stuff, and Nightwish doesn't have that "oomph" After Forever had. (Floor would fit very well in Trail of Tears for example, although the band is dead).

At the same time, having Floor opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for Nightwish as she can sing in different styles, so I hope Tuomas will adapt the band's style and use Floor's voice to its full potential. I also hope we'll see many Floor/Marco duos, as those two should sound great together.

There's also the fact the I'm less into Nightwish since a few years (including their earlier era, it's not related to the Annette albums), so I'm bit sad to see one of my favorite singers go into a band for which I don't care that much anymore. Let's hope Floor will make me like Nightwish again
Azarath - 10.10.2013 at 20:33
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

I know you have a reputation to uphold and everything, but Nightwish is the 11th most popular band on this site (just behind Black Sabbath and ahead of Judas Priest - seriously). It's not surprising at all that so many people care / want to comment. Especially regarding news of a newly confirmed lead singer.
Laneth - 10.10.2013 at 21:02
Floor became one of my favorite vocalists through After Forever and now she is finally getting the recognition she deserves in Nightwish! This is proving to be quite the autumn!
AnGina-- - 10.10.2013 at 23:02
Hm, I love Floor, love her a vocalist and a frontwoman, have loved her since the first moment I heard her in After Forever.She is by far the owner of one of the most powerful voices .... in the world (pretend like Jeremy Clarkson's saying that). I don't really like Nightwish, never did. I feel obligated to like NIghtwish nao.
The Evergreen - 11.10.2013 at 03:49
Quote:
[Quote]

Empuu has been there since day zero. He lends a lot to the Nightwish sound. Marco, as he puts it himself, brings a heaviness an down right stunning backing/alt vocals, so we'll disagree there. We'll disagree on Tapio, too. You may have a point about Jukka.

I think Tuomas by himself would be film music... If you read the Nightwish book, you may find that each of the people in the band brings quite a lot by virtue of being with the others.
The Shape 1973 - 11.10.2013 at 10:14
Welcome back Nightwish. Couldn't have picked a better singer. She has the lot.
Rhiannon - 11.10.2013 at 15:05
Written by Teravolt_Danny on 10.10.2013 at 04:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

You didn't let me down. So predictable it's become a joke.

lol, my thoughts exactly when I read his comment

Pages: [1] 2

News Nightwish - Reveal New Live DVD Details 7.5 16.09.2013 by FeskarN
News Naglfar - Reveal New Album Details, New Song Online 4 05.02.2012 by iMorphball
News Misery Index - Reveal More About New Album 4 26.02.2014 by 3rdWorld
News Doom:VS - Reveal New Album Tracklist And Guest Vocalist 4 09.05.2013 by Carrion Misery
News Slumber - New Line-up Announced, Ready To Enter Studio 4 12.06.2009 by Black Conundrum