Atheist has been writing new material as of late, notable because the group hasn't released a studio album since 1993. Here's a statement from frontman Kelly Shaefer:

"You asked for it, the first new Atheist material in 15 years has risen to the surface and it was truly amazing, much better than we could have expected! We ended up with a bit over 3 minutes of truly Atheist, brutal, fast as hell, technical metal madness!

...we also intend on celebrating the 20th anniversary of Piece Of Time release with a bunch of shows in 2009 in Europe and the USA live DVD and now a brand new set of Atheist's metal puzzles for your confusing enjoyment of course. We will keep you posted on all of the details as they happen. Hold on to your brains fuckers!"

Further information about the new Atheist album can be seen here.

Source: myspace.com
Band profile: Atheist

Posted: 31.07.2008 by abattoir

Comments

Metal_Militia - 31.07.2008 at 06:21
//Some of the best news ive heard in a very very long time when it comes to music. All hail the technical death metal kings Atheist. Cant wait for this new album//
LeChron James - 31.07.2008 at 07:53
let the tech death heads drool...
Marcel Hubregtse - 31.07.2008 at 13:54
Noooooooooooooooo, their legacy will be tainted. And all this just a year after Kelly Schaeffer said the following when I interviewed him:

On the internet rumours abound that you guys are gonna go record again …

Kelly: No.
Tony: Maybe, maybe, maybe…
Kelly: No, no, no. No, stop that shit now.
Marcel: Kelly, like you said in the liner notes on the re-release of Unquestionable Presence: I believe that tension is what caused us to write this kind of music…
Kelly: Well, I think it would be hard to recreate that tension and the amount of time that it took for us to write. We used to play six nights a week and used to have a hundred people in front of us. Our friends would come to our rehearsal spot. And we would just be like… and that's how we wrote. It was sweltering hot, like a hundred degrees, in our warehouse every night where we would practice. The reason why I brought up Borivoj was when we started writing technical songs and we sent it to Borivoj he was like: Wow, that's really really different. So then we almost started writing just to try to outdo each song. Not knowing ever that we would be here 20 years later. We always loved Rush, Neil Peart and people like that. We just really wanted to kind of just pay tribute in the metal world and a lot of bands I think couldn't play intricate I think very well. Everybody was very basic, very simple, and the drummers were like: rrrrrr and we thought it needs finesse, it needs something else in order for metal to continue for twenty years. I always believe that it's important for everybody to really learn how to play otherwise this kind of music is just gonna fade away into obscurity and I am so glad that bands like Meshuggah and all these guys have come on and really just broadened the horizons of metal. And now it's fucking wide open now.
Tod_Engel - 31.07.2008 at 14:25
It's nice to see that they have changed their mind's about it. I think Kelly Shaefer and Steve Flynn can come up with some surprising stuff. I believe in them!
Stalker - 31.07.2008 at 14:35
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2008 at 13:54

Hahah yeah, I know, but I totally saw this coming (as of, month ago or so) when they said (Schaeffer and Flynn I think) they jammed a little bit and it was "pure Atheist", lol, it was clear what is going to happen... But who knows, we'll see, right??
Black Conundrum - 31.07.2008 at 22:05
I'm looking forward to this album releasing. I am updating wikipedia about this currently.
Stigma - 01.08.2008 at 12:48
Interesting indeed, we'll see
Elio - 01.08.2008 at 21:55
after cynic new album...some other good news for jazz death metal
ylside - 01.08.2008 at 22:38
Weird.. after what they said in the aformentioned interview !
Dangerboner - 02.08.2008 at 02:15
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2008 at 13:54

Yeah I figure Kelly got high and forgot what he said xD
Markku - 04.08.2008 at 21:34
Omg omg, has Atheist sold its soul? No no, just kidding. I´m glad their writing new stuff, what he said about not want to mess the legacy seemed a bit silly. Its dead aobvious its not the same band is it was back in 1993, and the name is just a name.

News Vallenfyre - Writing New Material 5.5 23.07.2013 by Array
News Vektor - To Take Brief Hiatus, Writing New Material 5.5 01.03.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
News Bilocate - Writing New Material 5.5 15.11.2012 by MechanisT
News Falconer - Writing New Material 5.5 28.01.2013 by
News Opeth - Mikael Åkerfeldt Writing New Material 5.5 13.08.2012 by LeChron James