Metal Storm logo
Kent

30.07.2008 - 01:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
So, a topic about the Swedish rock/pop group Kent. I've always called them the Swedish Coldplay, but they are actually more than that. Better too. Apparently they are very big in Sweden, but not really known elsewhere. Attempts to reach a broader audience resulted in english versions of "Isola" and "Hagnesta Hill", but that didn't work out too good.

What I really appreciate about their sound and music, and this is especially about their best album imo "Du & Jag Döden", is their incredibly sad mood. I've written a blog about it here, but in short, they are: very transparent, clinical, honest, innocent and captivating. Sometimes strangely uplifting, at other times very emotive.

Anyway, for some this may be "just" another pop/rock act, but to me they are clearly above the regular acts. Albums I own so far:

Du & Jag Döden
Kent
Isola (English version)
Vapen & Ammunition

And my good friend Spyroid will help me getting their other albums for a low price, so I'll probably a couple more in a month or so. I could give more detailed opinions about certain albums, but first I want to see what you all have to say about Kent.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.07.2008 - 12:33
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Kent is an ok band. I don't have any of their albums, but their music is good. If one of their songs is played on the radio, I won't switch the channel. They'll play in Ankkarock this weekend, so maybe I'll check the gig, unless there's some better band playing at the same time. Their songs also help me learn a bit more Swedish. Or at least give some pronunciation model.
----
You'll never walk alone.
31.07.2008 - 03:05
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
If there should pop up some Kent fans here now, don't hesitate to ask me if you want translations of song titles or lyrics, I'll do as much as you want
27.09.2008 - 16:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Apparently not many people know/like this band. Anyway, my collection of Kent cd's now features the following albums:

# 1995 - Kent
# 1996 - Verkligen
# 1997 - Isola (Swedish)
# 1998 - Isola (English)
# 1999 - Hagnesta Hill (Swedish)
# 2002 - Vapen & Ammunition
# 2005 - The Hjärta & Smärta EP [EP]
# 2005 - Du & Jag Döden
# 2007 - Tillbaka Till Samtiden

Yeah, that's a lotta Kent.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.02.2009 - 02:54
Krankheit
Account deleted
Agree that Du & Jag Döden is their best album so far. Probarly becuse its more darker and also heavier in some parts. One of my favourite bands non metal bands along with Muse and Kraftwerk.
18.08.2009 - 23:27
Skøllgrim
Northern
Yeah good band, although not too fond of their newest album. Du & Jag Döden is my favourite. The band also definetly sounds best when the lyrics are in Swedish.
23.08.2009 - 19:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I always liked this band, but somehow I didn't care about them. I guess I was too lazy to check them out apart of just hearing them on the radio or watching their videos on the TV.

But Yesterday when I was at the library I was taking some cds to borrow when I saw three Kent cds:
Verkligen, Hagnesta Hill and Du & Jag Döden so I told myself "Oh what the heck..."

And when I heard The chorus from "Avtryck" [First song from Verkligen] I knew that I was gonna love them and this time I will not stop lsitening to them.
There's soemthing really special about their music, I can't put the finger on it, but when I heard the chorus from "Avtryck" it sounded angsty [in a not-chessy way], sad and happy at the same time. Touching stuff imo.
So no I'm gonna buy Hagnesta Hill and Isola since they are really cheap here [like 5-6 euro each]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2009 - 01:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.08.2009 at 19:37

I always liked this band, but somehow I didn't care about them. I guess I was too lazy to check them out apart of just hearing them on the radio or watching their videos on the TV.

But Yesterday when I was at the library I was taking some cds to borrow when I saw three Kent cds:
Verkligen, Hagnesta Hill and Du & Jag Döden so I told myself "Oh what the heck..."

And when I heard The chorus from "Avtryck" [First song from Verkligen] I knew that I was gonna love them and this time I will not stop lsitening to them.
There's soemthing really special about their music, I can't put the finger on it, but when I heard the chorus from "Avtryck" it sounded angsty [in a not-chessy way], sad and happy at the same time. Touching stuff imo.
So no I'm gonna buy Hagnesta Hill and Isola since they are really cheap here [like 5-6 euro each]

Du & Jag Döden is imo by far the best though. It's darker and gloomier, I think you'll like it better.
----

24.08.2009 - 15:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2009 at 01:28

Du & Jag Döden is imo by far the best though. It's darker and gloomier, I think you'll like it better.

O yeah, it's a probably their best of the 3 I've heard but I had two reasons for not buying it. The first one is that the others were way cheaper. The second one being that I already have Du & Jag Döden so I want to listen to more albums. That's why I ordered Isola and HH, the last one being very good imo I borrowed from the library but the copy was so fucked up that my computer couldn't read it, only my discman and it sounded like crap so I was so pissed off that I ordered it.

I think Kent is a pretty solid band, from the three albums I've heard nothig seems to dissapoints me. Like Walkman said in the blog of yours, I respect them for doing what they want and being probably the only swedish mainstream no-metal stuff that is worth cheking out along with Khoma. Although Khoma isn't well known at all

Hey, I have a question... is the EP worth it? Because it's just 20 mins long but on the other hand the song Dom Som Försvann is a killer with one of the most freak videos I've seen

Edit: Now that I hear the albums more and more.... I realise that many songs are the ones that I loved hearing in the radio or Tv but I never knew that they were Kent's songs.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2009 - 16:30
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Yeah, Kent is a good band. Normally I'd hate such a vocal, but I find Berg's voice to be very pleasant. The music's great, and a big plus for lyrics in Swedish I found out about them by accident, reading an article about Roskilde festival back in 2005, but I acquired their box set only recently. The funny thing is that actually some of my friends know about them, my mate's girlfriend is actually a huge Kent fan, I thought they were only popular around northern Europe (silly me )
----
24.08.2009 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Øyvind on 24.08.2009 at 16:30

I thought they were only popular around northern Europe (silly me )

Well, they are mostly popular in Scandinavia, so you're not silly at all. And I agree... It's good that they use swedish lyrics, I believe that it gives a different vibe to the music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2009 - 18:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Is the ep worth it... I dunno. The track you mentioned is the best track on it, the others are ok but nothing extraordinary. So if you can get it cheap, do so, but if not, I'd give priority to their other stuff. By the way, I suppose you're buying the Swedish versions of Isola & Hagnesta Hill?
----

24.08.2009 - 20:08
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.08.2009 at 17:38

Written by Øyvind on 24.08.2009 at 16:30

I thought they were only popular around northern Europe (silly me )

Well, they are mostly popular in Scandinavia, so you're not silly at all. And I agree... It's good that they use swedish lyrics, I believe that it gives a different vibe to the music.

Yeah, completely different vibe. I'm getting tired of English. It's as if everyone thinks they're going to become mega-ultra popular if they sing in English and not in their mother tongue. Kent, Rammstein, Finntroll, Metsatöll, Sigur Ros, Dalriada...all heroes imho
----
24.08.2009 - 20:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2009 at 18:25

Is the ep worth it... I dunno. The track you mentioned is the best track on it, the others are ok but nothing extraordinary. So if you can get it cheap, do so, but if not, I'd give priority to their other stuff. By the way, I suppose you're buying the Swedish versions of Isola & Hagnesta Hill?

Then I guess I will wait until it gets cheaper or something. Because the full lenghts are actually cheaper than the EP [lol wut?] And of course I'm buying the original versions It felt like a kick in the nuts when years ago I listened Rammstein doing an english version of Du Hast... I feel like it would be the same thing with Kent, the magic would not be there anymore.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2009 - 20:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It probably would man, I actually bought the Swedish versions after I got the English ones, because I thought they'd sound better. And they do, really.
----

25.08.2009 - 14:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Always had respect for Kent. I really have. I'm not that fond of their music but they have gained a large group of fans by playing unique music, not mainstream shit. And that always deserves my respect.
----
25.08.2009 - 20:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
Weird name for a band. Kent is "England's garden". Very nice place too I can say from experience.
25.11.2009 - 16:35
Krankheit
Account deleted
The new album called Röd is out now, very good release. It seems that Kent have changed their sound totally with more electronic elements and less guitars.
19.05.2010 - 13:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I still haven't bought Röd yet, because I can't really get into it (judging by the youtube tracks I've heard.)

Whenever I think of Kent, I just immediately think of Du & Jag Döden. I realize they have released more albums than just that one, but I can't help it. In my opinion, it is their artistic peak, both in terms of esthetics and songwriting. It's just too fucking great. It sounds like much more than just 'pop music'. (Although I definitely do not want to claim being 'just pop music' is a bad thing.) Anyway, it sounds timeless, beautiful, depressing and uplifting all at the same time.

Currently on my third spin in a row for today.

EDIT: And fourth, and now on my fifth. And sixth and mybe even seventh. I don't know anymore, I lost track. Either way, good stuff.
----

19.05.2010 - 17:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 19.05.2010 at 13:08

I still haven't bought Röd yet, because I can't really get into it (judging by the youtube tracks I've heard.)

You should buy it man, Youtube doesn't give the songs any justice.

I'm serious, the tracks are waaaay better in a discman, the techno/electronic vibe is psychedelic as fuck. Specially tracks like Taxmannen, Krossa Allt and Töntarna.
Tillbaka Till Samtiden on the other hand was the album that was really hard to get into because the electronic stuff just didn't sound consistent and well-thought. But they got it damn right on Röd.

Röd is actually in my top three Kent albums. The other two are Hagnesta Hill and of course: Du & Jag Döden.

If I was going to make a party with lots of lights, smoke and some psychedelic mushrroms.... Röd would be the soundtrack

Oh yeah... I'm seeing them the 6 August!!! YEAH! 3 days after I'm back from Chile
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2010 - 18:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.05.2010 at 17:54

You should buy it man, Youtube doesn't give the songs any justice.

Ok ok, I ordered it.

Quote:
Oh yeah... I'm seeing them the 6 August!!! YEAH! 3 days after I'm back from Chile

Screw you! I hope your plane doesn't fly because of the ash cloud.
----

19.05.2010 - 18:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I do believe it's a grower... Because I felt the same way you do the first time I heard some songs in youtube.

I wouldn't really mind if I can't fly to Chile because then I can catch the Wolves in The Throneroom in Denmark and spend some money in cds here because they are way too expensive in Chile. And also I can enjoy the summer here!

Now.. If I can't fly and I'm in Chile, then I would be kind of pissed off. But at least I got the opportunity to see the first and last Theatre Of Tragedy concert in Chile, see my family and buy cheap clothes.... And I can see Kent another time since they tour mostly in Scandinavia.

Sorry dude, I win either way.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.05.2010 - 16:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.08.2009 at 20:41

Weird name for a band. Kent is "England's garden". Very nice place too I can say from experience.

It's also a male first name here in Sweden.
----
19.04.2012 - 23:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Kent deserves more love. They're definitely one of the bands I've kept listening to over the years, especially - or, solely - Du & Jag, Döden. Fantastic stuff, one of the most emotional and uplifting albums I know. And I'm so glad I can't understand a word they're saying, it really helps the forlorn mood.
----

20.04.2012 - 01:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 19.04.2012 at 23:33
I'm so glad I can't understand a word they're saying, it really helps the forlorn mood.

I find this weird considering how most of their lyrics are depressive in nature. Specially during that period.
Everything between and including Isola and Du & Jag Döden + Röd is gold, Gold I say! I think the only album I don't like so far is the debut.
Hard to choose a favorite I love those cds. D&JD and Röd keep fighting for the top though. To me both provide the same forlorn mood... the only difference being the former that focus on the rock side and the later being electronica.

En Plats I Solen wasn't too shabby at all either, it was like röd but a bit less sad and more uplifting but still pretty much Kent.
I'm worried about the new one, I heard the single and it was like.... the happiest stuff they ever done which to me isn't too good. Kent are meant to be miserable!
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.04.2012 - 19:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I find most depressive lyrics whiny, so maybe that's why...
----

20.04.2012 - 20:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 20.04.2012 at 19:16

I find most depressive lyrics whiny, so maybe that's why...

They are mostly criptic tbh, they have a depressive tone to them but they sure as hell don't sound whiny to me because sometimes it can be quite abstract.

Kent lyrics

There you go, in case you or anyone else who doesn't speak swedish is interested in reading them. I personally really like some of their lyrics like Järnspöken, Klåparen, Stoppa Mig Juni, Berg & Dalvana (I love the description of the car crash), Dom Andra (really cool "fuck off I'm awesome" sounding lyrics), De Som Försvann (This one is just miserable but I love it), Livräddaren... Or the combination of Glider/747 which I find perfect both in music and lyrics with the whole creepy atmosphere of the former track while the later one is almost cheerful despite talking about a plane crashing and the dude being all peaceful about it with his girl.

To me this is just further proof that Lifelover was never a Coldplay/black mash-up, they were clearly waaaaay more influenced by Kent both in music and lyrics.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2012 - 23:54
Aristarchos
Kent is definitely my favourite non-metal/non-hard rock band. Verkligen is my favourite album. It's fun to see some people here outside Scandinavia saying they like them.
28.07.2012 - 12:17
IronAngel
Nobody has any opinions on the new album? I think it's considered somewhat a return to form in its straightforward catchiness. I hear some 70s/80s new wave/synth pop. I've never been a huge fan of their entire albums though, and this is no exception. Some good songs, some pretty forgettable ones.
30.07.2012 - 14:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 28.07.2012 at 12:17

Nobody has any opinions on the new album? I think it's considered somewhat a return to form in its straightforward catchiness. I hear some 70s/80s new wave/synth pop. I've never been a huge fan of their entire albums though, and this is no exception. Some good songs, some pretty forgettable ones.

I'm yet to hear it, only heard their single which was good but still far from my favorite Kent moments.
Isola, Hagnesta Hill, Du & Jag Döden and Röd are the top albums so far for me. Will see them on the 11th August. Second time. It was cheap and I'm sure it will be cool. They know how to put a great show imo.
----
Rod, let me love you.