Metal Storm logo
Anorexia Nervosa - The best to ever crawl out of France?

19.05.2006 - 16:00
Nyhus
Account deleted
Serched and found no Anorexia Nervosa thread. So i made one!

As the topic says, I thing AN is the best musical related thing to ever come from France.
Its a great band, with some really heavy songs. I think "The Drudenhous Anthem" is my all-time greatest AN song, and for thouse who have'nt heard it. Go to www.mother-anorexia.com -> media and download it free

Now, what do you other people think about Anorexia Nervosa?
19.05.2006 - 16:20
Deadsoulman
Elite
I think they are a good band, granted. Not very original but I like how they switch from pure melody to hysterical blastbeats in the blink of an eye (they remind me a bit of Limbonic Art at times). All their albums are good quality meloblack and they show a real progression. AN was not the kind of band that felt content with just recycling their old formulas. For the record, I particularly like the song "Sister September" off their last album. Now I'm quite curious to know what they're gonna do without Hreidmarr since, if I'm not mistaken, he was responsible for the lyrics and was also quite a charismatic frontman.

Now, to come back to your statement lol, I think it's a bit overboard to say that Anorexia Nervosa is the best thing that has ever come from France. Did you think about froglegs, snails, cheese, foie gras, Napoléon, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Jean Reno, Thierry Henry and Zinedine Zidane, the Eiffel Tower, wine and stuff?

No, seriously now, AN is certainly the most famous metal band from France, but I could quote at least 50 other, more influential to the French scene and probably better bands (BM or not). Ok, I'll give you three that definitely influenced most of the French scene afterwards: Massacra, Loudblast, Killers
19.05.2006 - 17:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The best band to ever crawl out of France are Blut Aus Nord, but I agree that Anorexia Nervosa are pretty good playing symphonic... they seem realy mad by times, and I like that obscure touch in Symphonic Black Metal that not many bands explore, and AN do it brilliantly.
19.05.2006 - 19:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
The best are still Alcest. No doubt about it.

Now, to AN, I like them, though they sometimes tend to get boring.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.05.2006 - 20:36
TheKreator
Account deleted
Ur absolutely right....i love AN work...i'm not a really big fan of the genre, but they really rock..:banger:
19.05.2006 - 20:45
Korpklo
Account deleted
I played The Drudenhaus Anthem in my French class after I had finished a work about the band. Strangely enough, no one else seemed to enjoy it

I think that AN has some good moments, especially the French parts, but they get boring pretty fast.
19.05.2006 - 21:54
Nyhus
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1110] on 19.05.2006 at 20:45

I played The Drudenhaus Anthem for my French class after I had finished a work about the band. Strangely enough, no one else seemed to enjoy it

Wtf? Jackasses!
20.05.2006 - 04:39
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
Great band from France, but not the best. Blut Aus Nord are often deemed better, and i prefer Lux Incerta over them as well
20.05.2006 - 14:20
Yova
I don't know many bands from France, but I love AN, it's one of my top favourite bands. Their style is amazing and different.
My fav AN songs are: 'Enter the Chuch of Fornication', 'An Amen' and 'Sister September'
----
...if there was a single day I could live...
...a single breath I could take...
...I'll trade all the others away...
20.05.2006 - 14:33
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Rofl, such a controversial title considering France are throwing out the creame of metal at the moment

Yeah, as symph BM goes, these guy are pretty much near the top of their game and still going strong. I confess to have only heard 'Redemption Process' parts of 'NOO' and 'Drudenhaus' but still some good stuff.

God bless you France <3
20.05.2006 - 14:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2006 at 14:33

Rofl, such a controversial title considering France are throwing out the creame of metal at the moment

I agree, probably the most famous BM band from France, but not the best. Drudenhaus was a masterpice, I agree, I really enjoyed the sheer brutality mixed with sympho elements, but beside this album, Anorexia Nervosa is just a mediocre band, compared to some other from their country.

@Mother-Anorexia Lux Incerta plays funeral doom, not BM
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.05.2006 - 16:34
Nyhus
Account deleted
Just to have it said, it was supposed to be a qustiaon mark in the title of the thread. It was supposed to be "Anorexia Nervosa - The best to ever crawl out of France?"
20.05.2006 - 19:57
Damnated
Churchburner
So you referred to it as a joke?
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.05.2006 - 23:58
Nyhus
Account deleted
No joke, a question to see what other people think.

And how do i edit the tiltle?
30.05.2006 - 01:42
matos
@Nyhus (and others): I support you!
For me AN is certainly the best (metal) french band, no matter what you other guys think! I also find them original, compared to CoF or Dimmu (as people often do) they did not sell out, their lyrics are unique (and also bizarre), and they don't do cheap crap - keyboards are one of the best i've ever heard in metal. that would explain why i like them.

Too bad Hreidmarr quit now the whole band is on hold. Does any of you guys know anything about new vocalist, maybe when he is about to be recruited ?
----
30.05.2006 - 12:33
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 20.05.2006 at 14:55

I agree, probably the most famous BM band from France, but not the best. Drudenhaus was a masterpice, I agree, I really enjoyed the sheer brutality mixed with sympho elements, but beside this album, Anorexia Nervosa is just a mediocre band, compared to some other from their country.

I know perfectly well that Lux Incerta are doom metal, if you read my posts it says that i dont think Anorexia Nervosa are the best band from France - i prefer Lux Incerta over them.
30.05.2006 - 15:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5399] on 30.05.2006 at 12:33

Written by Damnated on 20.05.2006 at 14:55

I know perfectly well that Lux Incerta are doom metal, if you read my posts it says that i dont think Anorexia Nervosa are the best band from France - i prefer Lux Incerta over them.

I misuderstood it, sorry
----

31.05.2006 - 01:00
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
No apology needed.
31.05.2006 - 18:40
AntaeusM
Elite
I worship Anorexia Nervosa. This band easily stand out next to all the other bands I listen(okok, together with Moi Dix Mois ), Anorexia Nervosa can do something that would make many doom metal bands jealous.

They can sound depressive without faking it. Yes I know, Anorexia Nervosa is Symphonic black metal, but I compare them with the doom metal scene because the lyrical theme, the atmosphere of the music, are both focused on depression.

Lyrically Anorexia Nervosa just.."hit" me. Musically it is very powerful and just the perfect mix of the best musicians from all over France. The only French band that come "a little bit" close to Anorexia Nervosa is Mütiilation, but also Mütiilation is nothing compared with Anorexia Nervosa.

I am pretty sure many people would disagree with me, but I noticed most people hate them because they are labeled as "black metal", so people expect the typical black metal thingies from them. Their music can be called black metal, but don't expect another Darkthrone or Dimmu Borgir. They are too unique for that.
31.05.2006 - 19:51
_HIV_
i wouldnt say the best band that came from france ... i wouldnt even say the best black metal band from there!
but they are a good black metal band :> thats about it!
31.05.2006 - 21:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by AntaeusM on 31.05.2006 at 18:40

I worship Anorexia Nervosa. This band easily stand out next to all the other bands I listen(okok, together with Moi Dix Mois ), Anorexia Nervosa can do something that would make many doom metal bands jealous.

They can sound depressive without faking it. Yes I know, Anorexia Nervosa is Symphonic black metal, but I compare them with the doom metal scene because the lyrical theme, the atmosphere of the music, are both focused on depression.

I agree with this depression part, and this caracteristic makes their music almost doomy. I recall Drudenhaus to be a very depressive sounding album, it seemed like a cry for me, although the music is pretty brutal.
----

31.05.2006 - 22:33
MrSpaceman
Well... i think that Anorexia isn't the best band from france, but, centainly, it's the band that achieved more success than any other band, beeing a extreme metal band. I *really* agree that they are superb! Man, i love their records! They make their work very well!!!!
BTW, about the 'best' france band, my vote goes to Elend... hehehehhe....
And, of course, Serge Gainsbourg!!!! hhehehe!!!
Cheers!
----
MrSpaceman_
01.06.2006 - 16:34
matos
Written by [user id=14045] on 01.06.2006 at 03:22

Anorexia Nervosa is overrated, in my opinion. Their music is mediocre, and covered so deep in gothic cheese it's ridiculous. As for the best bands to come out of france.. I could name about 100 French black metal bands less than 25% of you have ever heard of. And one more thing, Doom Metal does not have to have depressive lyrics. Just because a band has a song about suicide does not make it 'doomy' in the least bit.

right...(extremely sarcastic) ok maybe it's just your opinion. But i don't know where you've pulled the gothic thing from? If the band uses (a lot) keyboards, that's not necessarily gothic.
About the lyrics: AN has some of the best (if not the best) lyrics i've have ever read. I think you should look into them a bit more to understand them. + AN doesn't sound 'doomy' just because depressive lyrics, there are more elements in their music that closes their music to doom, than just lyrics. My advise: you should listen AN more to completely understan them.
----
01.06.2006 - 20:21
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by [user id=14045] on 01.06.2006 at 03:22

Anorexia Nervosa is overrated, in my opinion. Their music is mediocre, and covered so deep in gothic cheese it's ridiculous. As for the best bands to come out of france.. I could name about 100 French black metal bands less than 25% of you have ever heard of. And one more thing, Doom Metal does not have to have depressive lyrics. Just because a band has a song about suicide does not make it 'doomy' in the least bit.

Something wrong with gothic? That's why I said people are comparing them with other black metal bands. Anorexia Nervosa is unique, stop comparing them with other black metal bands! Gothic influences is not a bad thing, but I know it isn't really black metal related. So you only hate it because it doesn't sound like a "true" black metal band? Sorry, but they are just Anorexia Nervosa. They don't even want to be a part of the black metal scene, so your argument "I could name about 100 better French black metal bands" is pretty pointless. By the way, I am happy for you you know 75% more of the French Black Metal bands than I know. Quite funny; I am really into the french black metal scene, so I don't think that is even possible, but I always like those prejudices that people are using to proof their point :

I know, but I was making a stereotype, because many doom metal(not all) try to be depressive, even when they completely fail. though, the photoshoots are hilarious with all those fake sad faces Suicidal black metal and doom metal are different things of course. I was just making a comparison between all those band who fakes it and Anorexia Nervosa.

Oh yeah, can you explain WHY it is overrated, and WHY it is mediocre? You only say it is filled with gothic cheese. Well, gothic is just a matter of taste, and cheese isn't an argument, so I miss your point.
02.06.2006 - 12:00
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
If goths are teenagers being unique and listening to Slipknot, then Anorexia are not goth..... Hreidmarr is a good friend of Joey Jordinson but that doesnt count
02.06.2006 - 18:33
AntaeusM
Elite
@Despondency, I was talking about gothic music, as in gothic metal, gothic rock. Not about the lifestyle. I am not going to discuss in this thread if the lifestyle is a joke or not. I can only tell you, you have a very wrong view about goths, since goths don't listen to Slipknot; isn't just a teeenager thing; not all goths look like fools.

I can easily say that Anorexia Nervosa is the best that ever comes from France, but that is for me. I wouldn't say they are the best black metal from France, because they are on the border of that genre. So I haven't heard shit of the scene? I am pretty sure I have heard enough of the french scene to have a good judgement about its quality.

Well, that statement of yours was pretty arrogant to begin with You judge about people's music knowledge without knowing them, just saying they are too ignorant or now knowledgable enough. Why? Because they listen to Anorexia Nervosa? What do you want me to do now? To post a big list of French bands or something.. I don't need to proof my knowledge, and you don't have to do that either. I just don't like it when people only live in this small world of elitism in black metal :

Most Cradle of Filth fans don't know them. And for your information, I have been at an Anorexia Nervosa concert, and I have seen 2 15 year olds, the rest were all around my age or older, so that was just one big prejudice from your side. Well, when a band is mediocre you should be enable to explain it. Oh yeah, when someone makes a myspace account he/she can't be a black metal fan anymore eh? : a bit of open-mindness doesn't hurt you..
02.06.2006 - 20:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
And once again, Blackgir relates the worthness on one band, to the average age of its fans... I don't want to keep discussing about this shit as I did on the CoF thread, but you man really seem to have self-affirmation problems...

About Anorexia Nervosa, they're certainly among my favourite Sympho Black bands... they much more dense, fast and shocking than the average
02.06.2006 - 22:57
AntaeusM
Elite
@Southern Wind,

I did? Try read the entire topic.. Despondency said only 15 years old mallgoths like them, and I gave as argument that most of the people on their concerts are way older than 15. I never said anything was wrong with young fans, I just explained to Despondency he was wrong.

And about the Cradle of Filth thread, I never judged the band on their fans. I only said Cradle of Filth are trying to make their music accesible for the young mallgoths. I never judged the music of Cradle of Filth, I just didn't like their attitude towards their fans.

@Despondency

Well, you just sound very elitist. Maybe you are not, I don't know you. That is slightly true, but I am still not confessed. I could only dream that the mallgoths from my school knew Anorexia Nervosa. Most of them don't listen to Anorexia Nervosa. A concert is a nice gathering place for Anorexia Nervosa fans, so I think it is also a good place to see what kind of fans Anorexia Nervosa has. Sure, but I don't really care if it is true or not. I don't enjoy myspace, but if it is fun then I would make an account, no matter if it is true or not. Anyway, I wouldn't use myspace as an argument to proof how bad a band is
03.06.2006 - 07:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
well, I'm sorry if I misanderstood you then... I just think it's becoming a dangerous trend to catalogue bands for what they mean instead of what they are, and that was what I understood at first but sorry if I was wrong.
03.06.2006 - 14:11
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Myspace is good for listening to new bands though