Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
19.03.2007 - 10:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Neto_o beter listen full albusm, not songs, ebcause full album its more bassed in some emotions, fielings, but song are only song.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.03.2007 - 12:23
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by [user id=18405] on 19.03.2007 at 00:42

Hmm, well, that previous post of mine is a bit old now. I dont think black will be my favourite genre. But, we never know, it may change soon. But I really like Symphonic Black, and Black Death more than pure Black. I will get deeper into these two subgenres, if you have some bands to recommend...

Ive tried Xasthur, and to tell the truth, i didnt like it. I know Emperor of course, but i forgot to mention it in that last post . And yes i like it. Marduk is a band i know for a long time already, i had a friend who liked them a lot, and so do I. I still have to get more stuff by Leviathan and 1349 though, i dont think i have more than 3 songs from each. But I haven't tried the other bands Nargaroth, Judas Iscariot, Satanic Warmaster, Abyssic Hate) you named yet. And it would help me much if you told me which songs or albums i should listen to first, im always lost when it gets to choose one to try. A bad choice would mean a bad impression of the band's music, and that would be a pity . The first impression counts much.

Thank you .

I notice you didn't mention Ulver. Try to get the album Bergtatt by them. Its quite amazing. If you like Symphonic Black try to get the Bishop of Hexen album called Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy. IMO its one of the best albums in Symphonic Black. If your into Black Death/Blackened Death try Akercocke, Belphegor or Scorngrain(this one isn't all that well known). Even Abyssic Hate could be what you would like. Also try Taake which is quite unique in terms of sound and Limbonic Art. If you're into Viking/Black then Graveland (quite epic sounding and all)..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.03.2007 - 12:54
Judas
The Amputator
@..HumanError...; Himann: I agree with any recommendations of Limbonic Art and Ulver. Arcturus' first album, 'Aspera Hiems Symfonia', is also a must-have, and get everything by Enslaved too, they're my favourites!

I don't delve too much below the surface in terms of Black/Death crossover bands, because Zyklon, Behemoth and Belphegor do everything for me. Oh and with Nargaroth, the essential song to have is 'Black Metal Ist Krieg!'

I started listening to Black Metal a few years ago, it was the second genre that I got into, ironically after Power Metal. I listened to Children Of Bodom, got accustomed to harsher vocals, then heard a few Folk and Viking bands (Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Bathory), then some Opeth, before taking a big plunge and borrowing an Emperor album off a friend. I was hooked immediately. Hilariously, the second BM band I listened to was Darkthrone! I haven't looked back since, and I'm happy with the road that I took because it opened up the world of Folk and Viking Metal far earlier than I would have discovered it otherwise.

Enslaved, Immortal, and probably Drudkh are my three favourite bands at the moment, for different reasons (see the 'Best of Black Metal' thread in the Metal Arena for explanations).
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.03.2007 - 13:51
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
mt main reason i listen to black metal is because its intolerant and hateful like myself so i can relate to it alot, my first black metal song wouldve been Dunkelheit... favourite bands now are judas iscariot, xasthur, torrent and darkthrone.
19.03.2007 - 23:42
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 19.03.2007 at 12:23

I notice you didn't mention Ulver. Try to get the album Bergtatt by them. Its quite amazing. If you like Symphonic Black try to get the Bishop of Hexen album called Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy. IMO its one of the best albums in Symphonic Black. If your into Black Death/Blackened Death try Akercocke, Belphegor or Scorngrain(this one isn't all that well known). Even Abyssic Hate could be what you would like. Also try Taake which is quite unique in terms of sound and Limbonic Art. If you're into Viking/Black then Graveland (quite epic sounding and all)..

Hmmm, Ulver, Ulver, i have some songs here, and .. i have to say.. i didnt have a good impression. But ill give it a try again, ill get that album you mentioned. Ill do the same with the Sympho bands you named.

I already have the 'Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone' album by Akercocke, and i like it . Belphegor are one of my fav bands already . Ill get some Scorngrain, its the first time i heard of them. I have some Abyssic Hate coming, as its the second time its named here.

But, at the moment, im focusing on Black/Death and Sympho, Viking/Folk/Black will come later .

Shall i say thank you again ?
19.03.2007 - 23:46
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 19.03.2007 at 12:54

@..HumanError...; Himann: I agree with any recommendations of Limbonic Art and Ulver. Arcturus' first album, 'Aspera Hiems Symfonia', is also a must-have, and get everything by Enslaved too, they're my favourites!

I don't delve too much below the surface in terms of Black/Death crossover bands, because Zyklon, Behemoth and Belphegor do everything for me. Oh and with Nargaroth, the essential song to have is 'Black Metal Ist Krieg!'

Behemoth, Zyklon, and Belphegor are one of my favos . And yes, if i were as lazy as i usually am, i wouldnt dig much into this, but im too curious not to look for and see if there are not other bands as good as them .
20.03.2007 - 08:54
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by [user id=18405] on 19.03.2007 at 23:42

Shall i say thank you again ?

My pleasure lol.. Anyway like I said Bishop of Hexen - Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy is a must get if you're into Symphonic Black. I have a feeling you would like Limbonic Art as well considering the bands you named and all..

Also most girls seem to like Astarte and Aisling. French bands are really amazing too. In fact these days they have one of the best scenes honestly.. Check out Aisling they're quite you're style.. I really think I should just list them or something lol..

Calvarium( )
Mater Monstifera
Arafel
Elvira Madigan
Dol Ammad(this is a bit of Opera and stuff also)
Gloomy Grim(I think you'll like this lol)
Abused Majesty

This is not really my favorite area of Black Metal though so there is bound to be someone who can help you out a bit more around here. There are lots more in the genres you're looking for but start hunting for these for now..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.03.2007 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Himaan - does realy Elvira Madigan counst BM
----

20.03.2007 - 14:31
Himann
Orm KrigGud
@K7, Not really lol. But it is more Black Metal than anything else.. Besides she might like it considering the list of bands she mentioned that she likes which is why I mentioned them.. Dol Ammad for instance is even more unlike Black Metal..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.03.2007 - 14:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Himann on 20.03.2007 at 14:31

@K7, Not really lol. But it is more Black Metal than anything else.. Besides she might like it considering the list of bands she mentioned that she likes which is why I mentioned them..

I never realy had been fan of Elvira Madigan maybe some songs its like whit Morgana Lafey(I know its heavy/power), I like early stuf but leither thay are hanging
----

20.03.2007 - 14:39
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Bad English on 20.03.2007 at 14:33

Written by Himann on 20.03.2007 at 14:31

@K7, Not really lol. But it is more Black Metal than anything else.. Besides she might like it considering the list of bands she mentioned that she likes which is why I mentioned them..

I never realy had been fan of Elvira Madigan maybe some songs its like whit Morgana Lafey(I know its heavy/power), I like early stuf but leither thay are hanging

Most bands are like that actually.. I dont think you can call them a heavy metal or a power metal band. Its quite predominantly Symphonic Black/ Dark Metal.. Their albums are more Blackened Dark Metal than anything..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.03.2007 - 14:48
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
i listen to Black Metal because of the Atmosphere/ideology (by most bands not NSBM though)/and general feeling the bands give on their albums, my first proper black metal song i heard was either Burzum's Lost Wisdom or Judas Iscariot's Gaze Upon Heaven in Flames (from the days when i downloaded random songs i have learnt from the error of my ways) but now am addicted to buying CD and Tapes
22.03.2007 - 23:06
selken
Irreligious
Believe or not, I started to listen Black Metal because of the article found in Wikipedia, at that time (in late 2004) I was looking for Heavier music, i just knew Thrash and Power and so I wanted more, I read about bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone and others.
The first song i heard was Dark Funeral's "Slava Satan", i heared it in a Black Metal Radio, in that radio I discovered Gorgoroth, Emperor, and other very raw bands.
The first BM record I had was the De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas from Mayhem, it was expensive, but I was convinced since I read that it was a milestone, when I played the album, I just couldn't stop it, and thus I Have Spoken...
----
23.03.2007 - 00:17
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.03.2007 at 16:49

I started listening to Black Metal Through a Friend of Mine. He never really told me it was BM and I didn't know untill I saw it in their profile, because they were the only BM band I had any real exposure to. Most Black Metal Fans Hate this band but they are still my favorite BM band and released some excellent albums, this Band is Dimmu Borgir
The First song I heard by them was "Progencies of the Great Apocalypse" and when I heard it I loved the Athmospheric Sound. But I moved on to Harsher BM eventually, Mainly Mayhem and 1349. I am still very limited on my BM knowledge but it's a Subgenre I enjoy.

I have NEVER hated Dimmu....it's sometimes hard for me to understand why people think bad of it....just because they seem to be commercial? Well....just listen to their older stuff and I tell you that more wondrous music is hard to find....I remember that...when I started listening to BM, Dimmu was the first and I still remember Stormblast and I still like it......
23.03.2007 - 16:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Ernis on 23.03.2007 at 00:17

I have NEVER hated Dimmu....it's sometimes hard for me to understand why people think bad of it....just because they seem to be commercial? Well....just listen to their older stuff and I tell you that more wondrous music is hard to find....I remember that...when I started listening to BM, Dimmu was the first and I still remember Stormblast and I still like it......

Yeah people get all pissy and say just because they have better production in their music that They're "mainstream" and "sellouts." that pisses me off.

Viva La Dimmu!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
23.03.2007 - 17:27
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Arian Totalis on 23.03.2007 at 16:56

Yeah people get all pissy and say just because they have better production in their music that They're "mainstream" and "sellouts." that pisses me off.

Viva La Dimmu!

This is the attitude that can be seen among many people...they say "Oh, I listen to only such things that are listened by a small group of people because I want to feel special and tr00!"

This is especially stupid when someone says "Oh, Dimmu is SO AWFUL! They're for POSERS only! I'll rather listen to Spice Girls than Dimmu!"

Seriously....when a metalhead claims that he is willing to listen to 50cent or Pussycat Dolls because Dimmu is SO mainstream then....I think this way of thinking is immature...
24.03.2007 - 03:29
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Miotalhead: yeah I couldn't have said it better my self.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.03.2007 - 03:43
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
meh I am not too into BM but I do listen to my share of BM. A little Bit of Emperor here, maybe a little bit of Celtic frost there. My favorite BM band is definately Emperor because they can never truly start to suck, they broke up a while back. But you had better believe I am going to their Reunion-esque tour.
24.03.2007 - 19:24
FoxZdemoN
Satan!!!!!

I like the evilness of it...the power it delivers to me..that adrenaline rush....unholy pleasure.
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
25.03.2007 - 16:09
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
Written by [user id=21954] on 24.03.2007 at 03:43

meh I am not too into BM but I do listen to my share of BM. A little Bit of Emperor here, maybe a little bit of Celtic frost there. My favorite BM band is definately Emperor because they can never truly start to suck, they broke up a while back. But you had better believe I am going to their Reunion-esque tour.

i reckon emperor has always sucked too overrated...
29.03.2007 - 09:44
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Ernis on 23.03.2007 at 17:27

Written by Arian Totalis on 23.03.2007 at 16:56

Viva La Dimmu!

This is the attitude that can be seen among many people...they say "Oh, I listen to only such things that are listened by a small group of people because I want to feel special and tr00!"

This is especially stupid when someone says "Oh, Dimmu is SO AWFUL! They're for POSERS only! I'll rather listen to Spice Girls than Dimmu!"

Seriously....when a metalhead claims that he is willing to listen to 50cent or Pussycat Dolls because Dimmu is SO mainstream then....I think this way of thinking is immature...

Haha well since Dimmu Borgir is starting a mini riot here I'll just say something. I was absolutely stunned by their first 2 albums (ie Stormblåst & For All Tid). They were two of the best albums I had heard ever at the time I first heard them. However every release after those 2 have just been dissapointing and unnecessarily precise, technical and calculated. I dont believe that Black Metal was ever about that traditionally speaking. Flame me for saying it if you will but everything after Stormblåst and For All Tid was disappointing.

Anyway I would rather listen to Dimmu than the Pussycat dolls and 50cent. Something as silly as hip hop can go rot in the corners of hell while the blind masses follow it and act like pimps and hookers..

Believe me though. As much as this band gets flamed, they have a huge number of fans who like their music.. Take it from a Norwegian, Dimmu have enough supporters here to start a revolution and dont give a damn abt people who dont like their music. Noone needs to be upset if they're being called comercial or sellouts or whatever. They are and they dont care if they are..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
29.03.2007 - 09:49
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by FoxZdemoN on 24.03.2007 at 19:24

Satan!!!!!

I like the evilness of it...the power it delivers to me..that adrenaline rush....unholy pleasure.

Haha now that the kind of post that's truly insired and necro

Evil...Power...Adrenaline...Pleasure...
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
29.03.2007 - 17:16
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 29.03.2007 at 09:49

Satan!!!!!

This is so grim I can feel the Freezing Moon and the frostbitten forests of norway ooze out of my computer screen.
30.03.2007 - 17:35
SilentScream
Blasphemer
First BM track? Gorgoroth - Crushing The Sceptor. Which is odd, since I don't like Gorgoroth haha.

I have always been a big fan of the US scene, but also the scene of France : both have a lot of talent that urges to be discovered.

Over the last while I must admit I have been listening to the old-school releases more then anything else. Bands like Archgoat, Beherit and Von have been playing pretty much constantly in my ears.
For fans of those bands, I really do suggest you buy the Archgoat/Beherit split. DAMN does it kick ass!

Now Playing : Von - Devil Pig = THIS is the best black metal!
30.03.2007 - 23:12
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by [user id=5394] on 29.03.2007 at 17:16

Written by Himann on 29.03.2007 at 09:49

Satan!!!!!

This is so grim I can feel the Freezing Moon and the frostbitten forests of norway ooze out of my computer screen.

Its like owergrown forests covering you with the dim light of the moon which darkness eats away at your very being and power fills your soul like a drug.. Atmosphere has never been more real.. I'm playing Gorgoroth - Antichrist and I'm soaked in Moonshine.. Gorgoroth - Gorgoroth
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
30.03.2007 - 23:16
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by SilentScream on 30.03.2007 at 17:35

Von - Devil Pig

Now this is what I call Uber Grim Kvlt Evil Necro Underground Black Metal!!!
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
31.03.2007 - 01:00
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Himann on 30.03.2007 at 23:16

Von - Devil Pig

Oof! I'm too old for that stuff I just call it old-school myself.
01.04.2007 - 07:53
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by SilentScream on 31.03.2007 at 01:00

Written by Himann on 30.03.2007 at 23:16

Von - Devil Pig

Oof! I'm too old for that stuff I just call it old-school myself.

Haha I know man. Just having fun! Yeah old school is really the best name for it anyways!
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
01.04.2007 - 11:48
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
What makes me listen to Black Metal you say? Mostly it comes from anger and rage. Listening to it makes me calm and forget about the negative feelings. O_O If that makes sense haw haw
02.04.2007 - 21:51
Dub
Account deleted
Its just brilliant.

Thats pretty much all I can say.
Its what I enjoy listening to at certain times.

I do wish that Dissection were still going though. Jon was a bit of a knov for doing what he did, especially when Dead did it way cooler.