Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
18.03.2008 - 19:45
Woutjinho
Account deleted
you should be though
19.03.2008 - 17:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=26136] on 18.03.2008 at 19:45

you should be though

Jejejjeje yeah.. maybe.
But since we will never see each other...

Anyway.. I quoute one sentence
"You know when you're a metalhead when you hear words in the school or work... and associated with band names or song names"

That happened to me a lot of times...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2008 - 23:27
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
You know your a metalhead when your car has a gun rack on it... sorry thats a Redneck.
----
Seize the weed of production!
19.03.2008 - 23:33
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
No, for real, your a metalhead, when the primary music you listen to is metal.
----
Seize the weed of production!
02.04.2008 - 14:48
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Is someone who listens to nu-metal or styles like that a metalhead, or a rocker?
And those who listen 50/50 to metal and industrial or metal and hardcore/metalcore?
I'd rather think that someone is a metalhead as long as you listen to metal sometimes, like, once a week or more, and people think you are a metalhead also. It is stupid to be a metalhead and noone sees it. So, I think it is important to look like a metalhead and act like a metalhead and also listen to real metal.
02.04.2008 - 20:35
HugeTheConqeror
I have to agree with the folks who say that being a metalhead is all about appreciating the music, without regard for all of the other trappings, such as a dress code.

I listen to metal every day. I hang out here on the fan sites on the web. I go to metal shows (occasionally driving several hours to get there if the band is not stopping in my home town).

However, I also have very short hair. I am middle-aged (38 years old), and my hair is gray. I wear metal t-shirts some of the time, but am also comfortable in more conservative clothing. Despite all this, I consider myself to be a metalhead. When I hang out at a record shop in my area that specializes in metal CD's, when I go to metal shows, others there who may look more "metal" treat me no different from anyone else. To them, even though I may not look the part, my appreciation for and my knowledge of the music are what make me a metalhead.

My whole point is that being a metalhead doesn't mean conforming to a stereotype. It means truly loving the music, and enjoying the company of others who love the music.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
05.04.2008 - 16:05
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
A brother of mine went a view times to a metalconcert. He listens to techno himself, but a view times he went to a metalconcert, slechtvalk I think. He was wearing white clothing, short hair and no metal kinda things. Everybody else was completely in black and long hair flying around and so. But on that moment everybody considdered him to be a metalhead, while he in fact dislikes metal, he went there for a view friends. Listening to metal is important, going to concerts is important also, but the point on which someone really is a metalhead? It is heard to say. I have once heard the word METALHEART, I think that would apply very well, even though this guy didn't just mean something about metal, but for him a real metalheart was also a christian, with a strong faith. The most important thing is to have a real love for metal, the music and whatever can be considered metal.
20.04.2008 - 07:35
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Well In my opinion to call yourself a metalhead, first and foremost, you have to have a deep respect, passion and devotion for, and to this very inspirational genre of music. Again, my opinion, before someone tries to get all crazy and shit, I think you have to be proud to listen to Metal, therefore you have to have metalhead characteristics or dress like a metalhead. Metalhead qualities, I think because Metal isn't the mainstream, it's widely misunderstood by society. Therefore, we are judged, and this leads to us being a very confident and opinionated people. Thus metalhead characteristics. How, by us having to defend and uphold what we love constantly, in this case Metal. Yup that's my definition of a metalhead, Now this is where I think I'll get some shit. People, listen to Good bands man, who are doing it for the passion, not the money or anything else for that matter. Fuck Hardcore, Metalcore and that other shit I just don't eat that shit up. If they were any good, or had any passion, they'd be aiming for a wider audience not just frustrated teens and shit. What makes me say this, just simply their lyrics, song Titles, Band names, and ultimately their sound, and as for Hair, well I think that's just a matter of personal preference. I do have one question though, why do most metalheads wear black, including myself? My thought on that is because Black is the color of Darkness, and when we're cast out of society we're looked at like a vermin. Therefore, we adopted Black as a symbol of outcast or rather "unwanted evil outcast". Let me know what you guys think on this question.
22.04.2008 - 13:33
Berfones
You know you are a metalhead when you:
Bang your head when there is no music
Do a head-twist to very slow songs
Use this: m/ (>o<) m/
Use a stage name and you don't even have a band
Growl with no aperent reason
Do air drums
Are have a "usual" at the local metla pub
Go to shows of cover bands you have never heard of the original band
Write bagilions of bands in your favorites and never listened to more than one song by none of them
Name your beard
Have a black cat named Lucifer
Use archaic words with no idea of what they mean
the list goes on and on...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
22.04.2008 - 14:37
MadGatsu
Written by Berfones on 22.04.2008 at 13:33

Do air drums
Write bagilions of bands in your favorites and never listened to more than one song by none of them
Name your beard

Best post ever in this topic dude
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
22.04.2008 - 15:50
Berfones
Written by MadGatsu on 22.04.2008 at 14:37

Written by Berfones on 22.04.2008 at 13:33

Do air drums
Name your beard

Best post ever in this topic dude

Thanks man, I tried to do my best
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
24.04.2008 - 03:35
Haightredy
I was headbanging, and somehow got my hair caught in my guitar yesterday... T'was unpleasant. Yet it made me feel good that my hair was long enough to accomplish that.
24.04.2008 - 12:11
BrightNight
Written by [user id=30512] on 02.04.2008 at 14:48

Is someone who listens to nu-metal or styles like that a metalhead, or a rocker?
And those who listen 50/50 to metal and industrial or metal and hardcore/metalcore?
I'd rather think that someone is a metalhead as long as you listen to metal sometimes, like, once a week or more, and people think you are a metalhead also. It is stupid to be a metalhead and noone sees it. So, I think it is important to look like a metalhead and act like a metalhead and also listen to real metal.

I totallly agree with you on that. Thats how i see it to. (maybe its something dutch then )

It can be awnsered very simpel i geuss.......the feeling you get when you listen to it and feel the vibe of its entire Culture. When you are on a Metal Festival or concert and you feel you are on the right place and accepted, because "we are the same". The point were it gets to be your life and relgion. The point you feel you are one with it. Its called a metalhead.

Im sure there is not one other subculture who is this big and diverse. Full of feelings emotions and creativity. You have to be the right person for it. Most people wont understand. But if you do...you simply know it. Thats the most beautifull thing of it.

As for me...i dont consider people metalheads who only like "a few metal band". Or people who only listen to Nu-Metal...(wich in my eyes is not true metal, so you wont be a metalhead in my eyes).

It also has to do with your way of thinking and principles...these come allong with the subculture in general. Your in it...or you dont. Once youre in you wont get out....its in your veins. And if you listen ten years later to other music you never were a metalhead. Its for always.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
24.04.2008 - 15:58
Hangar XVIII
I think being a metalhead means you actually listen to the music (Melody, Harmony, Rhythm), instead of just listening to it for the social aspects. Being a metalhead is pretty much a death sentence for my reputation, since I go to a really preppy school where all the other people who listen to a little bit of metal are just goth or hardcore, but I listen to it anyways, because I like the music.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
25.04.2008 - 17:13
MetalFäng
Account deleted
You are a metalhead when you listen to any type of metal because you actually enjoy listening to it, not to be popular or anything along the lines of that.
25.04.2008 - 21:39
Lord TJ
You know your a metalhead when you sit at the lunch table with your friends comparing Death Metal grunts.

Yea, I did that today.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
27.04.2008 - 04:06
Vitokogvy
Written by Lord TJ on 25.04.2008 at 21:39

You know your a metalhead when you sit at the lunch table with your friends comparing Death Metal grunts.

Yea, I did that today.

Yeah i did that last weekend when i was drinking with a friend of mine, it sounded good! , well I dont think that you have to dress like metal to be a metalhead, you have to enjoy the music, and you dont care about other people think when you are moshing and walking to your office and you are in suit, every day that happens to me! Metal is my life, and well, i am having a concer next wednesday, HElloween and GAmma Ray are playing in Lima that date. and well the concert starts at 6 pm, and i go out of my job at 5:30, so i will go in suit!! i dont care about that cuz the music is all the matters, as i went last year to Cannibal Corpse's concert! It was a good concert!
----
Victor!! i will live until u die!
http://bloodyashes.blogspot.com
http://www.heavymetal.com.pe
27.04.2008 - 17:36
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
you are metal head when you are like me

i listen to all metal subgenres, i like many different things, i like metal more than other genres(althought i like rock punk and techno very much)...simply i am the biggest metlhead here on forum and nothing can not match me
29.04.2008 - 02:26
Hangar XVIII
Nope, nothing can not match you. You're right.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
29.04.2008 - 18:08
BrightNight
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.04.2008 at 02:26

Hahahahaha im lauging my ass of here mate!

"nothing can NOT match you"indeed....

also, Mister "Metalhead2" a true metalhead is NOT a show-off.......makes you sooo standard
----
29.04.2008 - 22:34
Hangar XVIII
Written by [user id=25572] on 25.04.2008 at 17:13

You are a metalhead when you listen to any type of metal because you actually enjoy listening to it,

Any kind of metal? Even Nu Metalcore?
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
30.04.2008 - 00:29
BrightNight
I would not aggree with that, in my way of thinking....Nu-metal is not really part of the Heavy Metal subculture in my eyes its not True Metal. Its just a mix/cross over with NON Metal Genre's.
----
30.04.2008 - 14:19
MetalFäng
Account deleted
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.04.2008 at 22:34

You are a metalhead when you listen to any type of metal because you actually enjoy listening to it,

We all know nu metalcore isnt real metal
30.04.2008 - 15:02
Hangar XVIII
Written by [user id=25572] on 30.04.2008 at 14:19

Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.04.2008 at 22:34

We all know nu metalcore isnt real metal

It isn't Tr00 Kvlt Norwegian Bl4ck MetL, therefore it isn't metal.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
03.06.2008 - 21:57
Anacrusis
Account deleted
You know you're a metalhead when you fall asleep listening to thrash because it soothes you.
03.06.2008 - 22:14
Gordon Freeman
Written by Hangar XVIII on 29.04.2008 at 02:26

I sure as hell know I can't not match him!
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.06.2008 - 23:07
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by [user id=33042] on 03.06.2008 at 21:57

You know you're a metalhead when you fall asleep listening to thrash because it soothes you.

its wrong!!! its when you must meet a psychiatrist as soon as posible
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
04.06.2008 - 13:19
TheBigRossowski
Written by Varegan on 03.06.2008 at 23:07

Haha! When I first started listening to metal I fell asleep listening to Cradle of Filth. Nowadays, I wake up with my iPod Home alarm, just turns on the last song that was playing!

When I look at my CDs, there are only a handful of them that aren't metal. Misfits, Classical music...that's mostly it.....

From 1349 to Xasthur, I think I enjoy metal enough to call myself a metalhead. Its better than being called Gothic. I hate that! You wear a damn black band shirt and you're magically Gothic (according to my parents, haha)
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.06.2008 - 18:28
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by TheBigRossowski on 04.06.2008 at 13:19

Written by Varegan on 03.06.2008 at 23:07

From 1349 to Xasthur, I think I enjoy metal enough to call myself a metalhead. Its better than being called Gothic. I hate that! You wear a damn black band shirt and you're magically Gothic (according to my parents, haha)

I agree... Gothic guys are mostly posers
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
04.06.2008 - 18:40
Dagorwen
you know you're a metalhead when
your Tshirt is stainted with sweat, beer, blood and mud after a gig
it tooks you 30min to enter the departure lounge in any airport because of all the nails, armour rings, the new rocks etc..
you fuck society but buy shoes that cost the same as 30 CDs
your index and little finger just raise every time you raise your hand
you can ever get blocked in that position
you prefer winter (above all the fimbul one) than summer
when at a party, you conspicuously show how bored you are with that gay music and get yourself a beer
etc...