Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
05.02.2009 - 16:35
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by [user id=37593] on 04.02.2009 at 05:03

STUFF

Caps lock for teh win eh? Also, by American/Swedish death metal band, do you mean like a band that combines the sounds of the two scenes or do you plan to draft Swedish and American members somehow?

Now for me:

I got into metal through listening to a bunch of classic rock, and one day deciding to get into heavier rock about 4 years ago. The result for me was Iron Maiden, and I then started listening to more and more metal. The real revalation for me though, was Mörk Gryning, which was a blind purchase. I listened to the Mörk Gryning album I got like 3 times, and then I ditched all the Slipknot and metalcore crap and went head first directly into extreme metal. I then listened to nothing except extreme metal for about a year, before rediscovering Iron Maiden through the Killers album, which also seriously got me into the more melodic types of metal. Now, I pretty much listen to all kinds of metal, with the exception of gothic metal which I still don't particularily like aside from a few bands.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.02.2009 - 17:01
xguitaristgirlx
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 16:35

STUFF

Caps lock for teh win eh? Also, by American/Swedish death metal band, do you mean like a band that combines the sounds of the two scenes or do you plan to draft Swedish and American members somehow?

Now for me:

I got into metal through listening to a bunch of classic rock, and one day deciding to get into heavier rock about 4 years ago. The result for me was Iron Maiden, and I then started listening to more and more metal. The real revalation for me though, was Mörk Gryning, which was a blind purchase. I listened to the Mörk Gryning album I got like 3 times, and then I ditched all the Slipknot and metalcore crap and went head first directly into extreme metal. I then listened to nothing except extreme metal for about a year, before rediscovering Iron Maiden through the Killers album, which also seriously got me into the more melodic types of metal. Now, I pretty much listen to all kinds of metal, with the exception of gothic metal which I still don't particularily like aside from a few bands.

Ah i know ..caps?? I obiviously didn't read the rules before posting. lol

& about the American/Swedish Death Metal Band...hm, well that's actually just one of my many crazy dreams I have! But I must say I'm very determined to achieve it!! lol
I was going for the Drafting of American and Swedish members...I also like your view on it as well-- the sounds of both scenes. That could be very interesting! Ha I guess I'll have to see in the future what possibilities are out there......
06.02.2009 - 13:57
Slayer666
Written by [user id=37593] on 05.02.2009 at 17:01

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 16:35

STUFF

Now for me:

Ah i know ..caps?? I obiviously didn't read the rules before posting. lol

& about the American/Swedish Death Metal Band...hm, well that's actually just one of my many crazy dreams I have! But I must say I'm very determined to achieve it!! lol
I was going for the Drafting of American and Swedish members...I also like your view on it as well-- the sounds of both scenes. That could be very interesting! Ha I guess I'll have to see in the future what possibilities are out there......

Well, best of luck to you.
07.02.2009 - 19:07
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
About five years ago, for the probably one of stupidest reasons ever - I got bored. Went to a friend who I knew had some metal cd's, and took a handful of Metallica, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall.
Although I've been listening some domestic hard-rock before that.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
09.02.2009 - 06:34
romerovan
Account deleted
UMM when i was 13 like 5 years ago, cuz my bigger sister listened to dream theater =) and my uncle it´s really a fan of metallica. so i started looking by my self for metal bands for curiosity and it result that i really like them
09.02.2009 - 09:17
Andre
I got into metal not too long ago, i still regret i should've followed my brothers immediately to Metallica.
After graduating high school, which also could have been a rocking year for me if i had metal, i started paying attention and guess that's where it started.
17.02.2009 - 16:23
I was 13 and had listened Megadeth's Peace Sells and Metallica's Black Albüm by advice of one of my friends for the first time and that was the beginning of long long road for me:)
17.02.2009 - 17:17
Hellkommando
For me it started with mainly the 80's glam metal and the like and never looked back since. Got into a lot of death metal and some power metal afterwards. But yeah was Skid Row, Motley Crue, Poison etc for me, so don't laugh bitches!
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
17.02.2009 - 21:55
hard_tom
In summer 1976, and it was NAZARETH - LP Loud ´n ´Proud, and Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies.
I know, it´s hard rock, not metal, but in these times wasn´t metal yet...
17.02.2009 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hard_tom on 17.02.2009 at 21:55

In summer 1976, and it was NAZARETH - LP Loud ´n ´Proud, and Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies.
I know, it´s hard rock, not metal, but in these times wasn´t metal yet...

You beat me by three years. Wow. Well, this coming September will be my 30th metal birthday.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.02.2009 - 22:14
Deadpool
I first got into metal when I was about six years old. I was of course listening to stuff like Metallica, and Iron Maiden. but know I listen to the hard core stuff like Amon Amarth, Enslaved, ect. And I agree with the original post you don't listen to metal by accident. You are chosen to listen to it so be proud you grt this oppertunity.
19.02.2009 - 23:26
>Odysseus
Well ,, my first time was back in 2000 .. when i was like 12 or 13 i was into Pop ,, then i little after it changed into rock cuz pop wasn't enough 4 me (needed more aggression) ,, and when 2000 came and i was 17 at the time i found that rock isn't enough 2 lol
i started with Metallica and Iron Maiden and after 9 brutally amazing years here i am in the holiness of Death Metal !
20.02.2009 - 01:59
munson
Well, it actually (believe it or not) started when my uncle put headphones pumping out some maiden on my mom's stomach while I was still in the womb. I grew up listening to Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. Had the whole Nu Metal phase when I was in Middle School -- from High School on I was full into it. Any and all metal I could get my hands on was good for me, though I never really heard much black metal, and still like very little black metal.
20.02.2009 - 06:13
Landsknecht
Account deleted
Back when I was sixteen around 2002 or so. I was into mainstream acts at the time until I heard Iced Earth...
Then I listened to Iron Maiden's "The Mercenary" from their Rock in Rio live CD. Needless to say I was blown away.

It was all over at that point.
22.02.2009 - 14:49
Farbsryche
How long ago?... Let me dust the cobwebs off and cast my mind back to the days of yore... It was 1980ish I'd just moved to a different part of the UK, at the time I was listening to bands like The Jam, The Vapors, the sort of post punk music. Then someone introduced me to Saxon's Strong Arm Of The Law, Whitesnakes's Ready An' Willing, along with Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to name but a few, and from that day my passion for Metal and rock has remained the same. Ah those were the days of long hair, or in my case just hair...!
22.02.2009 - 16:33
Nei
It started when I was 11-12 years old, my uncle gave me albums such as The Last Command by W.A.S.P., Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets by Metallica, and Cowboys from Hell by Pantera. Then it was on. Before that I was a big fan of Guns N' Roses, and I still find myself listening to them and feel like a eight-year old.
27.02.2009 - 19:57
jd-inflames
Account deleted
When I was 9, my mother got me listening to Pink Floyd and other classic rock bands, and after that my aunt got me stuck on Nirvana and Soundgarden and various other bands popular at the time. I listened to very little metal (other than more mainstream bands like Metallica or Pantera) until I was around 13 and a guy I knew sent me the song Jotun from In Flames. I've been hooked ever since, and have been broadening my horizons.
01.03.2009 - 15:40
It was like 10 years ago...i somehow had the metallica - master of puppets, and from then i'm into metal! it got more extreme ower the years but i still like to hear some of the old school stuff, and who doesn't metalhead forever! TRUE NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL!!!!! HELL YEAHHHHH! Keep listening to good music and keep distending the metal cult!!
01.03.2009 - 16:59
brapp32
I started off listening to metallica,guns and roses,ozzy, and pantera when I was around 11 years old. Then I kind of went away from music for a while. I wasn't a big fan of the grunge/alternative takeover. When I was 16 my sister started dating a cool guy that got me into white zombie. Between him and a college radio station (89.5 Seton Halls Pirate Radio) I found tons of bands that I listen to to this day.
01.03.2009 - 17:33
Galar
Wicked Mung
Started with Iced Earth when I was in 7th grade(almost 6 years ago), and I havn't looked back since.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
02.03.2009 - 01:37
I was about 12 years old I guess, when I really started listening to it. It started when I heard some famous bands on TV/Radio and I searched on more bands and stuff and that way I really got into it
----
05.03.2009 - 07:44
muztayne
I was about 11. I was hanging around with my cousins and their friends and they started play all these cds by GnR, Skid Row and other stuff. I got so into it that i started looking for more stuff like it then i stumbled upon The Black Album by Metallica. That made me hungry for more metal then the rest is just history...
05.03.2009 - 17:16
Silent Jay
Since ever I can remember. Literally.

Apparently, so so the legend goes, when I was very little my father would put on his Iron Maiden LP's at home and I'd go to sleep to them. I remember always being fascinated by the album covers when I was growing up, and always favouring heavier sounds and metal 'tunes' in programs when they came on as opposed to the 'Pop' that all the other kids were listening to, but it wouldn't be until I was about 10/11 years old that my uncle bought me some Iron Maiden tapes. I'd listen to these all the time until they eventually got chewed up (dark times). My first CD was Iron Maiden's Seventh Son and I still play that often. when I was 12 I began buying my own CD's from my pocket and dinner money that I'd save (though my first purchase was Nirvana's In Utero ) and from them on I began listening to many different bands such as Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Megadeth, Pantera, AC/DC, Metallica....I never really got into Nu-Metal so I was inevitably an outcast but fuck 'em I had Maiden. Then at some point during secondary school I discovered how to use the internet and download to discover new bands.....and thus my obession continues to grow...
05.03.2009 - 18:12
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I'm guessing around 12 or 13 years old when my anger was more recurrent and my testosterone level shot up through the roofs, haha just joking. The first two bands i got into was Metallica and Iron Maiden (surprise). I just loved the energy and drive this type of music had, and the songwriting was a little more complex than what i was used to. My very first metal album being 'Master of Puppets', i couldn't go wrong and i consider it to this day to be a great album even though my metal tastes have expanded and got meaner.

Anyways ever since i've been finding some new metal bands and i happen to be more of a death metal fanatic right now even though i enjoy other types of music or metal. i was very passionate about Bodom at one point (14-15 years old) but then AYDY came out.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
06.03.2009 - 00:29
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I see myself as kind of getting into metal through phases. My first "metal" album was Korn's Follow the leader when I think I was 13. Then while in highschool a friend of mine got me into Slipknot (and yes I'll still admit their first album and a half was good). Maybe a year later I watched Headbangers Ball (the 1st episode) and it opened with Arch Enemy with "We Will Rise", which I kind of find funny that THAT got me into more "extreme" metal. Also funny how I disliked most of the other bands because I thought they were "too heavy" or something. I then got into the extreme metal staples. Y'know Arch Enemy, Cradle, Dimmu, Bodom, etc. Then their was a phase sometime after Highschool where I got bored of metal and started listening to more I guess what youn would say contemporary rock, such as Faith no More (great), Bloc Party (ok) and Living Color. Eventually I ended up listening to Reign of Blood, at 1st not liking it , but then a month later realizing that it was made in the 80's, which as I put it "That was made in the 80's, like the 80's with David Bowie". I then began to visit this site ALOT more (1st heard of it in 04' but it didn't have much of a musical impact on me, aside from Angra and Gwar) getting idea's of what to get into next.
06.03.2009 - 20:35
Derwood
I grew up hearing a lot of great 70's hard rock and proto-metal having a brother nine years my senior with a taste for Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Grand Funk and company. My introduction to real heavy metal came at the age of eleven in 1982 when another of my brothers brought home a copy of Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance. I was pretty miffed when he got to see Priest on the Defenders tour and my parents wouldn't let me go, but I was only thirteen and getting to the show required crossing the border.

After being introduced to Priest I discovered Iron Maiden, Metallica, Venom, Slayer and the rest of the known metal universe. Of course, with metal, like any good drug, I soon discovered that the little that used to do it wouldn't do it anymore, so the little got more and more... and in 1986 I discovered Death and Possessed and the beauty of what is now called extreme metal. I love death metal.

The first metal concert I got to attend was seeing Priest (finally!) with Testament and Megadeth on the Painkiller tour. Talk about spoiling it for everything that comes after. I don't think I've seen a show since, except possibly Amon Amarth with Ensiferum, Belphegor and The Absence (who really impressed me) last year (though Belphegor were pretty weak), that has even come close to that level of sheer balls out metal and entertainment. Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to see Iron Maiden yet.

I think my proudest metal moment came just yesterday, however, when my nine year old son recognized the opening riff of "Raining Blood" before I did.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.03.2009 - 07:47
ToMegaTherion
It started for me in early high school perhaps 10 or 12 years ago now, I remember a friend of mine introduced me to a band called Metallica, and album known as the Black Album. how you heard of it ;p ? It just went from there, since then however my taste has extended much further than simply metal ranging now from classical, rock, folk and basically anything else that catches my imagination.
23.03.2009 - 12:10
Silentium
Account deleted
Since 1995 when, bay Metallica - Black Albom on money, that parents give me to school
23.03.2009 - 15:12
Xeros612
It's been a year and a couple months for me. For me, it was Metallica, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and to a small extend Slipknot that got me into it, and now I have risen to far better metal. Trivium's the only member of that listing that gets anything remotely close to slightly often playtime.
24.03.2009 - 19:54
I was first influenced by my friend who is a severe metalhead! then i started listening to local metal bands from my country like sever dementia,power surge,gene-split etc.
I used to listen to mainstream n modern rock. but when i got a new electric guitar i started to gain interest in metal specailly brutal and technical death metal. thats when i found out about M.S.

I know i couldn't be as elaborative as others !! but i dont care im not so good at explaining!! but the bottom line..."I love Metal" cant live without it!!
----
I am immortal...and my Death is my Highway to Hell..!!