Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
22.12.2008 - 07:40
the stranger
I read some of the posts. And now I'm listening to Blackwater Park(the album). With all the bands that have come here lately, maybe Opeth can show up one day.
23.12.2008 - 15:19
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=28078142

this a great Prog Death band from the UK that are VERY influenced by Opeth. They do have their own sound though. I think most Opeth fans could like them... Plus they play in standard tuning
----
Coldgrits
23.12.2008 - 16:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by -DC-002- on 23.12.2008 at 15:19

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=28078142

this a great Prog Death band from the UK that are VERY influenced by Opeth. They do have their own sound though. I think most Opeth fans could like them... Plus they play in standard tuning

Don't Opeth usually play in standard tuning and sometimes in Drop D? But that's it.

I'm listening to this band right now, and they are indeed not bad at all.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.12.2008 - 19:42
Slayer666
Hmmmm,I don't know....I really don't like them.But,that's just me.I think Prog is too soft and slow.Oh,yeah I love Opeth's song Harvest.Not really Metal at all,but there is something magical about it.
29.12.2008 - 21:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh, right. Opeth are such softies. Poor them!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.12.2008 - 21:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BloodTears on 29.12.2008 at 21:23

Yeah, I think "My Arms, Your Hearse" has to be the gayest album in metal history
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.12.2008 - 23:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Absolutely
----

My Instagram
29.12.2008 - 23:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 29.12.2008 at 21:30

Yeah, I think "My Arms, Your Hearse" has to be the gayest album in metal history

Well, I want to tell a honest truth right here. I never like this band, because they are as soft as sanitary napkin, specially with some non-Melodic songs like Funeral Portrait and The Moor.. I mean come on, they are even worse than Green Carnation...

29.12.2008 - 23:58
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Hamird on 29.12.2008 at 23:54

Written by Elio on 29.12.2008 at 21:30

Well, I want to tell a honest truth right here. I never like this band, because they are as soft as sanitary napkin, specially with some non-Melodic songs like Funeral Portrait and The Moor.. I mean come on, they are even worse than Green Carnation...

Well, stop now, otherwise the guy will think we are kidding him
Ehy we are friendly people!

Hamird but so you like Opeth or not?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.12.2008 - 00:18
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 29.12.2008 at 23:58

Eh, I WAS kidding ...

I like Mikael Akerfeld, because he's very talented. I like his thoughts in writing and composing songs but more than that, I like his vocals.. I think in Death Metal no one can growl better than what he does.
But I like the Death Metal side of Opeth more than Progressive..
30.12.2008 - 00:21
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Hamird on 30.12.2008 at 00:18

Written by Elio on 29.12.2008 at 23:58

Eh, I WAS kidding ...

I like Mikael Akerfeld, because he's very talented. I like his thoughts in writing and composing songs but more than that, I like his vocals.. I think in Death Metal no one can growl better than what he does.
But I like the Death Metal side of Opeth more than Progressive..

Yeah, his growls are pure win. So you don't like Watershed a lot, I guess.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.12.2008 - 00:39
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 30.12.2008 at 00:21

Yeah, his growls are pure win. So you don't like Watershed a lot, I guess.

Right, I like it less than previous albums. I like Ghost Reveries the most.. But in Watershed I like Heir Apparent the most! And of course the Coil.
30.12.2008 - 01:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I think this is really funny.
The guy maked a point. I don't even agree with him but it was just his opinion and he didn't even talk shit about the band. He just said his opinion and three people out of the blue comes and start talking with sarcasm.

C'mon guys, This forum will be shit if we can't say that we don't like X band for Y reason without having people around us making fun of it... :

And btw... Opeth fucking kick ass.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2008 - 01:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.12.2008 at 01:24

I think this is really funny.
The guy maked a point. I don't even agree with him but it was just his opinion and he didn't even talk shit about the band. He just said his opinion and three people out of the blue comes and start talking with sarcasm.

C'mon guys, This forum will be shit if we can't say that we don't like X band for Y reason without having people around us making fun of it... :

And btw... Opeth fucking kick ass.

Come on mate, as Elio said we were joking.. Here's a friendly place isn't it? Don't see it as sarcasm, that was just a joking..
30.12.2008 - 01:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Hamird on 30.12.2008 at 01:34

Come on mate, as Elio said we were joking.. Here's a friendly place isn't it? Don't see it as sarcasm, that was just a joking..

I'm really sorry... It's around 00:42, I screwed it up with my computer and I have to thank all the gods because it's almost fine now [it has some small virus though] AND i'm in my period.

I'm sorry I didn't want to sound rude
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2008 - 11:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I was really joking. I don' think it was offensive at all.

It's not like we can't fool around. Otherwise, this would be too serious and tedious.
----

My Instagram
30.01.2009 - 21:37
MeloDeathViking
For the longest time I kept hearing about Opeth and how great they were, but never really took the time to check them out. When Watershed came out I went and got it. I gave it a listen and just couldn't really get into it. In fact, after the 1st spin I just didn't even bother trying again. My one friend insisted to me that they were worth another try, and suggested Blackwater Park; so I borrowed his copy and gave it a listen. "WOW!" is all i could say about it. I just couldn't take it out of my cd player. All I could think was what an incredible album it was, and was kicking myself for not getting this album first. I went back and gave Watershed another listen. I couldn't believe I had just totally written this album off. I went and ordered the box set with Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation and Lamentations. I have to say it was well worth the money. Opeth is easily in my top 10 bands now. I actually just went and found a copy of The Candlelight Years available online and ordered that too. These guys have completely blown my mind wide open as to what a metal band can be. I have to say, for anyone sitting on the fence, give these guys a listen now! Give them a chance and I'm positive you will be in the same boat as me. May I sugget Blackwater Park?
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
30.01.2009 - 21:58
ForeverDarkWoods
I've never been able to get into Opeth. It's not that I think they're bad or anything of the sort, in fact I think they're very talented (thinking otherwise would IMO be a bit stupid), but their music just doesn't seem to fit in with my tastes very well. For me, they're a bit to clean I guess. I guess I'm an anti-perfectionist, but there's something about their material that just seems stale to me, like too non-organic for my tastes.

The older releases are better though, and I give Orchid a spin occationaly, as well as My Arms Your Hearse, but generally they just don't do much for me.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
31.01.2009 - 00:28
Joker
Well i think that after few years from now this band will change the word metal into OPETH
31.01.2009 - 18:22
Ascendant187
I still think the best thing about Watershed is the jazzy breakdown during, I think, "The Lotus Eater". Per does his thing beautifully there.
31.01.2009 - 21:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ascendant187 on 31.01.2009 at 18:22

I still think the best thing about Watershed is the jazzy breakdown during, I think, "The Lotus Eater". Per does his thing beautifully there.

FUCK dude, absolutely agree! That sold me man....I was still getting into the album and then I hear that funky little breakdown and im like "Ok...so I'll be back in a few minutes I have to get this cd!". Really awesome, and its a seriously cool ringtone as well
31.01.2009 - 22:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by [user id=1909] on 31.01.2009 at 21:46

Written by Ascendant187 on 31.01.2009 at 18:22

FUCK dude, absolutely agree! That sold me man....I was still getting into the album and then I hear that funky little breakdown and im like "Ok...so I'll be back in a few minutes I have to get this cd!". Really awesome, and its a seriously cool ringtone as well

Let me just back this up too. I listened to Watershed twice today, and that breakdown is indeed amazing. And the ringtone idea is quite cool. I have just been thinking about a new one... *thumbs up*

EDIT. actually doesn't sound cool as a ringtone...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.02.2009 - 02:27
WagonOfFilth
Opeth is a great band, and Watershed is a brilliant album. I'd have to say my favorite Opeth song is Deliverance, that song just makes me numb, it's crazy.
----
Your trust is in Whiskey, and Weed, and Slayer. It's goddamn electric!
17.02.2009 - 10:25
Dragosani Kain
I'll be hitting up the Opeth/Enslaved May Concert in Toronto, that shits going to be BOSS. I'm not sure how the city will stand after they pass through, too much AWESOME in a single venue...

Goddamn I want to get to Wacken.
----
The Mob Rules!!!
18.02.2009 - 01:49
MetalSpider
Written by Dragosani Kain on 17.02.2009 at 10:25

I'll be hitting up the Opeth/Enslaved May Concert in Toronto, that shits going to be BOSS. I'm not sure how the city will stand after they pass through, too much AWESOME in a single venue...

Goddamn I want to get to Wacken.

Im hoping to make it to this concert!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.02.2009 - 18:13
Spliff
Account deleted
Love this band, probably my favourite of all time. Other bands die on me, but I've been listening to them for at least 3 years now and I haven't stopped. I'm addicted I think
21.02.2009 - 20:18
Saephis
Written by Azrael on 17.02.2009 at 10:03

Opeth ... they are my faviorite but i think that Deliverance is the album that ever made

Opeth is also my favorite band by far and Watershed is my favorite album by them. I do agree... Deliverance was quite excellent and the more I listen to Watershed, I think there is quite a fair bit of influence from the highly progressive songs in Deliverance such as By The Pain I See In Others in their newest material.
----
"Life is nothing but a game of obstacles...
Some you win.
Some you lose.
Some you swallow like a load,
Abuse."

-The Foreshadowing "Last Minute Train"
21.02.2009 - 20:22
Zelse
Watershed's like the perfect mix of heavy and soft Opeth, I can't get enough of it. Definitely my favorite album by them.
24.02.2009 - 21:34
TheBigRossowski
This is my 500th post and in light of that fact, I would like to post in the Opeth thread. The band that really brought me into the realms of metal. Of course I started like most people, little Metallica, a few Cradle of Filth songs, but who do I sell my soul to? Opeth!

I've seen Opeth two times in my days here in Germany. Once in Hanau and the next time in Cologne. We even drove early so I'd have a chance of meeting the band. By that time I even had an Opeth tattoo, my first tattoo. Some people consider that dumb to get band tattoos and for the most part I would have to agree. However, this meant more for me being that Opeth was my great introduction into metal. First greatest experience in metal, first tattoo, goes hand in hand! No....Cradle of Filth is NOT a first great, lol. In a metaphorical way, Opeth popped the cherry, Cradle of Filth only put it in the pooper, lol.

Anyways, I met the band outside of the Live Music Hall. I'm not the type for autographs, but I definitely wanted a photo. Of course I still have that photo, along with great memories from both those shows. In Cologne, they were really friendly and would come to us and give us the horns as they played.

I still have the poster that I took from Cologne

500 posts later, I would like to thank Opeth for such moving music and look forward to seeing them live at LEAST once more.

----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
27.02.2009 - 19:44
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I have a pretty good Opeth collection, but strangely the songs of theirs that I cherish the most are the slower paced ones and the instrumentals. I have somewhat of a Jazz background, so a lot of their clean solos really fit my bill.