Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
03.04.2007 - 03:21
Southern Wind
Account deleted
what makes me listen to BM? to feel the freezing stormy winds from the norhtern abyss cut my skin to the bone, to feel the breath of satan in my ear and the rawest essence of pure darkness and evil in my head
03.04.2007 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5080] on 03.04.2007 at 03:21

what makes me listen to BM? to feel the freezing stormy winds from the norhtern abyss cut my skin to the bone, to feel the breath of satan in my ear and the rawest essence of pure darkness and evil in my head

Jjajaj I saw documentary about Chile yeasterday about thos ecountry side and gauchos and I had same feeling when saw Iceberg in see/lake/river in Patagonia, damn forgot name
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.04.2007 - 22:34
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 03.04.2007 at 18:03

Jjajaj I saw documentary about Chile yeasterday about thos ecountry side and gauchos and I had same feeling when saw Iceberg in see/lake/river in Patagonia, damn forgot name

there are many glaciers and icebergs in many lakes at southern Chile... patagonia is awesome... btw, gauchos are from Argentina
03.04.2007 - 23:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5080] on 03.04.2007 at 22:34

Written by Bad English on 03.04.2007 at 18:03

there are many glaciers and icebergs in many lakes at southern Chile... patagonia is awesome... btw, gauchos are from Argentina

But it was Chilian part of Patagonia and there wa ssome pll and guide call tjem Gauchos I was suprised too, an dit meat what thay made and wine it was awsome
----

03.07.2007 - 12:07
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I figured that I would update my opinion on this matter.

My reasonings for listening to black metal are numerous, aside from it being very grim in atmosphere and image, it's probably the darkest sounding music out there.
To me, some black metal is an art form. It's very expressive, and even empowering in the way that it sounds, some of the ideology and what some of the musicians can be like, granted, a lot of black metal is purely just potraying an extreme image and creating really fast and dark music that holds a sense of passion (not your stereotypical definition of "passion"), and conviction. I find it to be liberating, something to hold close and embrace, and as sad as it sounds, it can be a way to seperate yourself from the rest of the world and by that I mean you can kind of get lost in the atmosphere and even ideology of the music, but by wearing the "black metal uniform" as it were, you can indentify others of similar mind and show others that you are not part of the status quo.

Some bands even honour their heritage, which is again liberating and it can be potentially spiritual, which is something that viking metal is doing. With that alone there is good value in a sub-genre of black metal or black metal influenced music, be it folk metal, viking metal or what have you, and creating music in tribute to one's ancestors brings out the awareness in people of what their family lineage once was, before their land was influenced by outside sources ie: politicians, foreign religions, opression, etc., as well with people who have grown up in areas like North America where their family at some point and time moved away from Europe.

It does not have to be about Satanism, anti-Christianity or trying to fight Christianity, but rather getting in touch with your roots. Also, it's just enjoyable music, it's fun if nothing else at all.
03.07.2007 - 13:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitter Dawn on 03.07.2007 at 12:07

It does not have to be about Satanism, anti-Christianity or trying to fight Christianity, but rather getting in touch with your roots. Also, it's just enjoyable music, it's fun if nothing else at all.

I have no time read all your post but this is good one, I agree and I like such BM and IMO early BM if yoy know how looks album covers of early Arcvturus, Emperor, Dimmu, Nargarot.... thats type of BM music I like there are strong nature, pagan, ancien, historical elements but some how bands DONT propogant satanism, such thinks came leither and look old and new DB album covers
----

04.07.2007 - 02:38
Account deleted
What makes me listen to Black Metal? It's good music. Let me rephrase that: there are good black metal bands. I don't try to pigeonhole myself into just liking one type of black metal because all styles of music are worth listening to at least once.
04.07.2007 - 07:55
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Det Som Engang Var n Transilvanian Hunger ..... its just plain music with some depressive vocals.
04.07.2007 - 16:40
villain
Written by Hembrom on 04.07.2007 at 07:55

Det Som Engang Var n Transilvanian Hunger ..... its just plain music with some depressive vocals.

I'm sure its more than that
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
05.07.2007 - 06:42
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Well since "Det Som Engang Var" means "That Which Once Was", one can only assume that it is in regards to what Norway once back in the pre-christian era, that alone means something. One could even percieve Vargs vocals to be like "cries" for the loss of the old ways, or to be cries of war, a war against christianity as the vocals share resemblance to those carried out by the Oskorei.

Whereas the song "Transilvanian Hunger" itself is plain and simply about vampirism.
05.07.2007 - 08:23
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by villain on 04.07.2007 at 16:40

Written by Hembrom on 04.07.2007 at 07:55

I'm sure its more than that

Explain ....
05.07.2007 - 16:22
villain
Whether you're talking of the song of the album,
Don't you feel as if there is more than just plain music and depressive vocals in the case of DSEV?
The lyrics are very insightful. The music is simplistic externally but there are layers of riffs and synth which create the atmosphere so revered(esp in the thAT particular song) . It's complex in the sense that it is transcendental and visual.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
08.07.2007 - 02:49
Mugicha
Account deleted
Hm, when I started to listen to metal I listened to Megadeth, Rammstein and then Cradle of Filth. A friend on msn sent me "Satanic Blood" of Dark Funeral( Von Cover) and I loved it and listened to it a couple of hundred times
The only extreme metal ive heard was CoF and I liked them because i liked the drums and the growl, then I heard "Satanic Blood" and I thought the growl was much better than Dani Filths so I downloaded the whole album. ( The Secrets of the Black Arts). AFter listening to Dark Funeral for a time I looked for other Black Metal bands and found Marduk and Gorgoroth, and then i found more and more good BM bands.

So now I just listen to Abruptum, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Watain, Old Man's Child, Gorgoroth and some more bands that I cant think of now and some few Death Metal bands which I recently heard and liked
08.07.2007 - 02:52
Mugicha
Account deleted
Oh yeah and why I listen to BM, hm, cuz I love the drums, growl and the satanic lyrics and it makes me feel satisfied. And some Bm bands play depressive BM which fits me cuz im a bit depressive most of the time
08.07.2007 - 19:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24790] on 08.07.2007 at 02:52

Oh yeah and why I listen to BM, hm, cuz I love the drums, growl and the satanic lyrics and it makes me feel satisfied. And some Bm bands play depressive BM which fits me cuz im a bit depressive most of the time

Satanic lyrics write non talanted BM bands look Sout American scene
----

09.07.2007 - 00:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
The satanic lyrics in Black Metal is something I've also always enjoyed to read, interesting and often poetic. One of the reasons I got into Black Metal.
----
09.07.2007 - 04:35
Puff
The Forlorn
Written by Bitter Dawn on 03.07.2007 at 12:07

I figured that I would update my opinion on this matter.

My reasonings for listening to black metal are numerous, aside from it being very grim in atmosphere and image, it's probably the darkest sounding music out there.
To me, some black metal is an art form. It's very expressive, and even empowering in the way that it sounds, some of the ideology and what some of the musicians can be like, granted, a lot of black metal is purely just potraying an extreme image and creating really fast and dark music that holds a sense of passion (not your stereotypical definition of "passion"), and conviction. I find it to be liberating, something to hold close and embrace, and as sad as it sounds, it can be a way to seperate yourself from the rest of the world and by that I mean you can kind of get lost in the atmosphere and even ideology of the music, but by wearing the "black metal uniform" as it were, you can indentify others of similar mind and show others that you are not part of the status quo.

Some bands even honour their heritage, which is again liberating and it can be potentially spiritual, which is something that viking metal is doing. With that alone there is good value in a sub-genre of black metal or black metal influenced music, be it folk metal, viking metal or what have you, and creating music in tribute to one's ancestors brings out the awareness in people of what their family lineage once was, before their land was influenced by outside sources ie: politicians, foreign religions, opression, etc., as well with people who have grown up in areas like North America where their family at some point and time moved away from Europe.

Saying I second that is the best answer I can possibly come with.

and talking about lyrics.. no one as better lyrics than Sarcofago and Von
----
09.07.2007 - 08:25
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by villain on 05.07.2007 at 16:22

Whether you're talking of the song of the album,
Don't you feel as if there is more than just plain music and depressive vocals in the case of DSEV?
The lyrics are very insightful. The music is simplistic externally but there are layers of riffs and synth which create the atmosphere so revered(esp in the thAT particular song) . It's complex in the sense that it is transcendental and visual.

Ehhhh , there is no point repeating the same thing thousand times. Everybody knows what these song means and whats inside it.

Emotion , atmosphere and brutality thats what i am searching these days.

1349 , Hordes of Nebulah and Stutthof
10.07.2007 - 12:49
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
I think the reasons for me listening to BM is because of the Feeling and emotion it gives off, far stronger than any other genre of music, I don't give a rat's ass about "extremity" or even the message (unless it's an intelligent one) BM compasses alot of how I feel in everyday life.
11.07.2007 - 06:09
Oracle
Orcinus
I listen to black metal becuase i think its different and i really enjoy it. i dont find black metal boring and i really like the lyrics in some of the songs too
11.07.2007 - 23:57
Mugicha
Account deleted
Quote:

I don't understand what you mean
12.07.2007 - 00:28
Cassandra
Account deleted
black metal can be ambient, and beautiful, or it can express rage, and everything that is grim and evil in this world. the first black metal i ever listened to was emperor-anthems. and i gottta love that raw male aggression... heh
12.07.2007 - 11:16
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Quote:
Written by [user id=24790] on 11.07.2007 at 23:57

Perhaps they meant to word it as, non-talented black metal bands write Satanic lyrics, or bands who write Satanic lyrics lack talent.. as for South America, hell if I know what that's all about. But in regards to bands who write Satanic lyrics being untalented, that's not true since a lot of BM bands do write Satanic lyrics, including the likes of Dark Funeral and Gorgoroth.
13.07.2007 - 00:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.07.2007 at 11:16

Written by [user id=24790] on 11.07.2007 at 23:57

Perhaps they meant to word it as, non-talented black metal bands write Satanic lyrics, or bands who write Satanic lyrics lack talent.. as for South America, hell if I know what that's all about. But in regards to bands who write Satanic lyrics being untalented, that's not true since a lot of BM bands do write Satanic lyrics, including the likes of Dark Funeral and Gorgoroth.

I realy enjoy Empyrium lyrics, Darkwood My Bethroned, Immortal, .... lyrics but primitive satanic lyrics ok lets taker soem venom lyrics some are primitive and i woud say lyrics like

Kill destroy... such type of thinks but I like Dark Funeral lyrics not all but there are some peotry and I never had liked Gorgoroth

About South America look to some Brazilian bands who has one demo and mouts of SA bands just 'posing' and realy wanna be more evil how Europeain BM bands and I had discus that SA theme long ago, dont wanna reapite
----

18.07.2007 - 17:49
Infurnace
I enjoy almost all the forms of Black Metal. This can be Raw, Technical, Suicidal or Ambient Black Metal, etc. It's just really great to listen to. I can't really tell what makes me listen to Black Metal. It's just my favorite genre in Metal.
18.07.2007 - 18:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Infurnace on 18.07.2007 at 17:49

I enjoy almost all the forms of Black Metal. This can be Raw, Technical, Suicidal or Ambient Black Metal, etc. It's just really great to listen to. I can't really tell what makes me listen to Black Metal. It's just my favorite genre in Metal.

I hera about techical DM, Thrash metal ok heavy metal but not BM
----

29.07.2007 - 07:47
Majesty
Account deleted
besides the music style i like black metal's sense of opposition.
28.08.2007 - 18:00
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
Ahh, for me it's probably the atmosphere and the sort of darkness that you just don't get from other kinds of metal.

Although I don't take the evilness/grimness shit seriously, unlike the bands themselves. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I can't help but laugh at certain band photos, or at certain lyrics.

The guys are more serious than those freakin' beatniks.
28.08.2007 - 19:49
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I use to be really big with death metal, then I saw how repetitive it is. Black metal bands each have something different yet all contain some sort of atmosphere. I will admit though bland satanic black metal bands can get really anoying and repetitive.
28.08.2007 - 21:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=289] on 29.07.2007 at 07:47

besides the music style i like black metal's sense of opposition.

doom an dold school thras are in oposition too, only power and nowdays metal, 80ties smily metal was in position
----