Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
24.03.2009 - 19:57
kkktookmybaby
Written by Xeros612 on 23.03.2009 at 15:12

It's been a year and a couple months for me. For me, it was Metallica, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and to a small extend Slipknot that got me into it, and now I have risen to far better metal. Trivium's the only member of that listing that gets anything remotely close to slightly often playtime.

heheh i know ill probably get shit for this but avenged sevenfold got me to listen to more heavier stuff than waht i already listened to. then came iron maiden , then VENOM!!!
25.03.2009 - 19:10
Xeros612
Written by kkktookmybaby on 24.03.2009 at 19:57

Written by Xeros612 on 23.03.2009 at 15:12

It's been a year and a couple months for me. For me, it was Metallica, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and to a small extend Slipknot that got me into it, and now I have risen to far better metal. Trivium's the only member of that listing that gets anything remotely close to slightly often playtime.

heheh i know ill probably get shit for this but avenged sevenfold got me to listen to more heavier stuff than waht i already listened to. then came iron maiden , then VENOM!!!

Heheh, yeah, Sevenfold was another early band of mine whose first three albums still exist in my library, with their latest waiting for me to stop being lazy and get around to deleting it.
27.03.2009 - 04:36
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I had preciously posted that it started in 2001...

But It all started before I was born, with Scorpions, Poison, Mötley Crüe, you know, the glam stuff mom listened in teh 80s, with me in her womb. That was a very important influence
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.04.2009 - 13:19
Cliff 'em all
Account deleted
Tallica, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, ACDC, Motörhead

Pretty Much all the big names.

I think the first metal song i really digged was 'one' from Metallica.

I saw the video (with scenes from 'Johnny Got His Gun') on TV and it made a deep impact on me.

So i started listening to Metallica and pretty soon I was kinda obsessed with metal.

Then I started exploring different subgenres and more unknown bands and now I can't live without metal.

It's a lifestyle
11.04.2009 - 19:46
aya
When I was a junior high school student, I heard a song of Nightwish on the radio.
I've got into female fronted metal since then
12.04.2009 - 21:28
rotten_womb
Ive started when i was like 10 or smthing when i heard sugar from soad, then jumped right into symphoblack and black (but ive got a little soft these days hhh)
12.04.2009 - 22:22
Culty
It was back in middle school when a friend of mine introduced me to Dio and Iron Maiden. Since then ive really gotten into Power Metal stuff.
----
Gfnttlr
17.04.2009 - 19:14
DouX_SW
Account deleted
Dont remeber quite well but i think since i was 14-15, Black Sabath but then i passed to some other bands, i remember me cousing playing some bands like therion, tiamat, theater of tragedy, blind guardian and some others i liked all of them and then i started to heard them, now i have more bands in my playlist
18.04.2009 - 04:00
ToMegaTherion
I was introduced to two albums when I was 13, and have never looked back. The Black album, and Iced Earth 'the Dark Saga' My giorlfriend at the time was right into it at that stage. And I have benefited even since,
Cheers Tash, RIP
24.04.2009 - 17:39
Gathering Storm
Account deleted
A really good friend of mine burned a CD of nightwish, within temptation and artrosis songs for me because he knew I really liked operatic female vocals, So he gave it to me to listen, and I fell inlove with the music.
24.04.2009 - 18:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 20.12.2008 at 13:20

gothic (there are a few Nightwish songs i kind of like)

O My friend
That's like an insult for many gothic fans. Well, I don't really care since I'm not THAT into gothic.
Nightwish is symphonic/Power Metal, Although I still know a lot of people that says that they are gothic. But they don't have anything like that in my book.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.04.2009 - 20:20
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.04.2009 at 18:43

Written by Slayer666 on 20.12.2008 at 13:20

gothic (there are a few Nightwish songs i kind of like)

O My friend
That's like an insult for many gothic fans. Well, I don't really care since I'm not THAT into gothic.
Nightwish is symphonic/Power Metal, Although I still know a lot of people that says that they are gothic. But they don't have anything like that in my book.

Oh, well I wrote that when I knew of a very few different genres. I thought everything with power chords and non-guitar instruments was gothic.
24.04.2009 - 21:29
GULCH OF ROT
BACK IN 1992 MY UNCLE DIED AND MY MOM GOT ALL OF HIS VINYL ALBUMS. ALL THE OLD STUFF LIKE THE DOORS THE BEATLES LED ZEPPELIN CREAM PINK FLOYD AND MANY MORE. I WAS REALLY INTO ZEPPELIN FOR YEARS. FAST FORWARD TO 1995 I STARTED DRINKING BEER AND LISTENING TO PUNK LIKE NOFX BAD RELIGION TSOL GUTTER MOUTH THE DECEDENTS AND THATS WHEN I FOUND METALLICA WITCH LEAD TO SLAYER KORN SOAD CANNIBAL CORPSE. AND THE REST IS HISTORY
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
24.04.2009 - 21:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by GULCH OF ROT on 24.04.2009 at 21:29

BACK IN 1992 MY UNCLE DIED AND MY MOM GOT ALL OF HIS VINYL ALBUMS. ALL THE OLD STUFF LIKE THE DOORS THE BEATLES LED ZEPPELIN CREAM PINK FLOYD AND MANY MORE. I WAS REALLY INTO ZEPPELIN FOR YEARS. FAST FORWARD TO 1995 I STARTED DRINKING BEER AND LISTENING TO PUNK LIKE NOFX BAD RELIGION TSOL GUTTER MOUTH THE DECEDENTS AND THATS WHEN I FOUND METALLICA WITCH LEAD TO SLAYER KORN SOAD CANNIBAL CORPSE. AND THE REST IS HISTORY

hi, might i suggest using the capslock key?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.04.2009 - 22:53
GULCH OF ROT
Written by BitterCOld on 24.04.2009 at 21:58

Written by GULCH OF ROT on 24.04.2009 at 21:29

I AM USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY
----

24.04.2009 - 22:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by GULCH OF ROT on 24.04.2009 at 22:53

then un-use it, please.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.04.2009 - 23:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 24.04.2009 at 20:20

Oh, well I wrote that when I knew of a very few different genres. I thought everything with power chords and non-guitar instruments was gothic.

No problemo. Like I said, I have talked to many people who thought that from the beginning. So did I from the start.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.04.2009 - 23:10
GULCH OF ROT
Written by BitterCOld on 24.04.2009 at 22:59

Written by GULCH OF ROT on 24.04.2009 at 22:53

then un-use it, please.

sure
----

27.04.2009 - 20:07
insanytzor
Account deleted
It all started about 4 years ago for me, before I even knew what metal sounds like. A friend of mine accidentally stumbled upon "Twist" from Korn (which complete nonsense) and asked me to listen to it since he thought it was funny. The song isn't exactly metal, but it made me curious and I started searching for some other Korn songs. I liked the rest of them too so I looked for other bands. And gradually I got here, with bands like Kreator, Children of Bodom, Slayer, etc.
27.04.2009 - 20:21
It was many, many years ago, when I searched through my father´s album collection, so I discovered classic hard rock bands, like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple , Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest....etc. I was when I 7 years old, and when I was 12 years old, I heard Metallica and that be enough. From that time I´m forged metalist. So I listens metal, already a 20 years.
03.05.2009 - 19:28
Rosaka
I think that Deep Purple was the band that, several years ago, introduced hard rock and heavy metal to me. I liked it but for some reason I didn't go all nuts and become a metalhead. I just listened to it quite occasionally.
At the end of junior high school one friend of mine introduced me some newer metal and especially nu-metal. Another friend was a nu-metalhead too (!!!) so for a year or two I listened to SOAD and such and didn't search for any other bands. In high school (second year) I started to use youtube to find new music. In addition to Metallica and Iron Maiden, I also found several less-known metal bands and I liked many of them.
There's no return now since I learned so much about metal from my boyfriend. (I must say that I'm happy because I listen to better music than some pop, like most of the girls.)
04.05.2009 - 12:11
Most people started with Deep Purple, Metallica or Iron Maiden. I started with style: Children of Bodom - Follow The Reaper. I was 11 when friend of mine gave me this white/orange covered album. I was like "what the f*ck is this?" "You gotta check it out! Just listen it, you´ll like it." And he was right.

Little later, I turned 12 (same) friend called me: "Iron Maiden or AC/DC?" I was like then I pulled myself back together and uttered a word: "Iron Maiden."

Nowadays, I don´t listen either often, but I still like both. FtR is still one of my alltime favourites.
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
06.05.2009 - 19:53
luc9999
Account deleted
I not really a metal head since I've only just started listenin to this stuff and have started weith the 'big' and popular bands like Iron Maiden etc. but I started listening since a guy in my class was playing back in black and I recognised the tune and then went and searched on youtube and became obbssed with it, I then found a website where I could listen to the whole album and I freakin <3 it!

Then this guy listens to Iron Maiden so I started to listne to Run to the hills by Iron Maiden and then started to listen to ablum Edward the great by them - but thats where I'm at in liking rock atm!

Also I been listening to a lot softer rock like Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart and Fleetwood Mac since I was like 13. (what genre is that btw??? thanks.
08.05.2009 - 12:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=40946] on 06.05.2009 at 19:53

I not really a metal head since I've only just started listenin to this stuff and have started weith the 'big' and popular bands like Iron Maiden etc. but I started listening since a guy in my class was playing back in black and I recognised the tune and then went and searched on youtube and became obbssed with it, I then found a website where I could listen to the whole album and I freakin <3 it!

Then this guy listens to Iron Maiden so I started to listne to Run to the hills by Iron Maiden and then started to listen to ablum Edward the great by them - but thats where I'm at in liking rock atm!

Also I been listening to a lot softer rock like Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart and Fleetwood Mac since I was like 13. (what genre is that btw??? thanks.

Well, welcome to the world of metal - it's all down hill from here. You chose a good site to start with too, I signed up about a year or so after I started to get seriously into metal, and since then I've come a long way.

As for Fleetwood Mac? I guess they'd be considered Classic Rock.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.05.2009 - 14:51
My metal origins are embarassing, quite frankly. I listened to Evanescence for a couple of years, and decided I needed more bands with female vocalists to listen to, so I went looking and asked around some of my friends, and I found Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, After Forver, Nightwish, Epica, Autumn, Angtoria, Xandria and a few others.

I fell in love with the music as much as the vocals, and was quite content to explore these bands a bit more. Then I moved in with another metal fan, and he loves his Metallica, Rammstein, Slayer, Trivium, Slipknot, Children of Bodom and so on. That broadened my horizons considerably, and again I went exploring and rediscovered and appreciated some older stuff, like Ozzy, ACDC and Led Zeppelin.

I'm still learning too, always finding new stuff I like.
08.05.2009 - 18:39
Varjo Hauta
Account deleted
The little boy had seen six winterstorms, when his small, innocent heart got poisoned by metal songs of his father. This metal journey started with Dio, and through the years, metal music always gave him feelings that he couldn't find anywhere else. It was, it is, and will always be the purest magic in his life, streaming like a infernal flame of dragon.
18.05.2009 - 21:43
MeloDeathViking
Back when I was like 12 or 13 I used to listen to Master of Puppets over my friends house, never really knew it was "metal" or anything like that, back then I really didn't know about genres, I just listened to whatever would come across my ears. Back in 2002 or so I got into the punk scene. At that point in my life, that was the kind of music that really caught my attention, I tended to listen to more of the melodic side of punk, stuff like the Dropkick Murphys.. From there I moved onto hardcore, the pace and shear force of it is what really caught my attentions, stuff like Trial by Fire, Kill Your Idols, stuff like that. I heard Trashed and Scattered by Avenged Sevenfold one day and thought, shit, that's a lot heavier and faster than what I listen to now, but still really melodic. I got City of Evil and started listening to it like every day. I got tired of it and started looking for bands that used a twin harmonizing guitars. Around 2006 some how I stumbled across a review that mentioned something about a band called In Flames. From then on, I was destined to listen to metal. My next steps took me further into the Gothenburg sound, with bands like Dark Tranquillity. I was amazed at how brutal their sound was while still mainting so much melody. And nowadays, I listen to all the various sub-genres, doom, progressive, power, folk and so on. It's hard to imagine now how I ever lived without metal before. And as strange as it is to say, if it hadn't been for Avenged Sevenfold bridging the gap between hardcore and metal for me, I'd be somewhere off wandering the earth, a metal-less mess.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
19.05.2009 - 17:45
Grief
Account deleted
I invented metal.
21.05.2009 - 20:04
I started listening to metal at the age of 17, when a friend of mine sent me some Iron Maiden songs ...that's how it all started
14.06.2009 - 19:05
terrorist
It was ten years ago.My brother once listened Metal and over the time i got intrested because of him.And i thank him for that.The bands that i started with are Iron Maiden,Sepultura,Metallica,Megadeth...and i am still listening them.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related