Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
31.05.2009 - 07:30
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
I recently got two copies of the Wooden Box through Viva Hate records. It's basically the same thing as the Candlelight Years (Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH), and even licensed by Candlelight, but instead of being CDs in a cardboard box, it's vinyl in a wooden box. Each album is pressed as a double album on 180g vinyl and they were limited to 1000 sets worldwide - 1-200 are on white vinyl, the rest are black vinyl. They also came with a stencil of the Opeth logo and 400 random boxes included an Opeth t-shirt with a design exclusive to the set. I got one white and one black and was fortunate enough to get a shirt in each.

I really like listening to the albums (black vinyl only - I have no intention of ever playing the white vinyl), but I'm actually a little disappointed with the pressings overall. The sound is great, but the groove is shallow, like an album that's been played a few thousand times - it actually feels smooth to the touch if you slide your fingertips over it (NOT recommended with vinyl, btw!!!). Why press on 180g if the groove is going to be virtually nonexistant?

[off-topic] Also, listening to modern recordings on vinyl just doesn't feel the same to me as listening to older recordings. Ever since the CD took off, the majority of recording, production, and mastering is all done digitally anyway, so they're never really capturing the analog sound they way they did back in the day. [/off-topic]
01.06.2009 - 21:10
TheBigRossowski
Just saw them again live last night in Wiesbaden. It was a nice two hour set, but unfortunately, they played nothing from Blackwater Park. Mikael is a very untypical metalhead, it's very relieving if you ask me. The whole band in general doesn't just come out and act like a bunch of badasses... well, except for Per, lol.

Good memories, good memories.

Funniest thing of the night:

Mikael: You guys have been extremely polite, thank you so very much!
Random guy: Fuck youzz!!!!
Mikael: (smiles), Yeah, see what I mean?

They even played Karma and Night and the Silent Water, holy fuck!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.06.2009 - 22:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Lucky man, you are a lucky man. I'm yet to see Opeth, but I'm sure the day will come.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.06.2009 - 00:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Søren on 31.05.2009 at 07:30

I recently got two copies of the Wooden Box through Viva Hate records. It's basically the same thing as the Candlelight Years (Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH), and even licensed by Candlelight, but instead of being CDs in a cardboard box, it's vinyl in a wooden box. Each album is pressed as a double album on 180g vinyl and they were limited to 1000 sets worldwide - 1-200 are on white vinyl, the rest are black vinyl. They also came with a stencil of the Opeth logo and 400 random boxes included an Opeth t-shirt with a design exclusive to the set. I got one white and one black and was fortunate enough to get a shirt in each.

I really like listening to the albums (black vinyl only - I have no intention of ever playing the white vinyl), but I'm actually a little disappointed with the pressings overall. The sound is great, but the groove is shallow, like an album that's been played a few thousand times - it actually feels smooth to the touch if you slide your fingertips over it (NOT recommended with vinyl, btw!!!). Why press on 180g if the groove is going to be virtually nonexistant?

I have Deliverence and Damnation on vinyl. I was actually very happy with these pressings. Sure, it doesn't sound as good as original records that I have in my collection, but still much better than the CDs.
----
(space for rent)
03.06.2009 - 10:29
Ascendant187
I missed Opeth live last year. I'm STILL kicking myself.
09.06.2009 - 22:35
TheBigRossowski
Written by Ascendant187 on 03.06.2009 at 10:29

Mark it ZERO! lol
----
10.06.2009 - 05:45
Ascendant187
Written by TheBigRossowski on 09.06.2009 at 22:35

Mark it ZERO! lol

They'll be back. It's my only saving grace. To be fair I was still living in a rural area a good two and a half hours from the place where they played, so yeah.
10.06.2009 - 23:05
TheBigRossowski
Written by Ascendant187 on 10.06.2009 at 05:45

Mark it ZERO! lol

They'll be back. It's my only saving grace. To be fair I was still living in a rural area a good two and a half hours from the place where they played, so yeah.

Two and a half hours?! In Texas I would have to drive four or five hours to get to a good show! Here I'm happy to only have to drive three. In most cases it only takes 40 minutes, but I will drive the three hours to see a great band.
----
11.06.2009 - 00:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.06.2009 at 21:10

Just saw them again live last night in Wiesbaden. It was a nice two hour set, but unfortunately, they played nothing from Blackwater Park. Mikael is a very untypical metalhead, it's very relieving if you ask me. The whole band in general doesn't just come out and act like a bunch of badasses... well, except for Per, lol.

That reminds me of the first time I saw them.

Mikael: Yeah, so it is great to be back in the South. We played this venue on our very first US tour. Man, I love it here. Tonight I had something called a 'hush puppy' for dinner. I don't know what a hush puppy is, but it was damn good. This next song is "THE BAYING OF THE HOUNDS!"
----
(space for rent)
11.06.2009 - 13:22
Ascendant187
Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.06.2009 at 23:05

Written by Ascendant187 on 10.06.2009 at 05:45

Mark it ZERO! lol

Two and a half hours?! In Texas I would have to drive four or five hours to get to a good show! Here I'm happy to only have to drive three. In most cases it only takes 40 minutes, but I will drive the three hours to see a great band.

I didn't have a car at the time so it was a little difficult. I'm fit but I'm not going to walk/run to see Opeth.
10.07.2009 - 07:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I thought all you Opeth fans might like these.

----
(space for rent)
10.07.2009 - 09:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
That's so cool! Thanks Dane.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.09.2009 - 21:06
Panterica
I must see Opeth live, if I'll miss it I'll kill myself, rise from my grave and kill myself again.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
11.09.2009 - 04:25
dEAthB3D
When will the day Opeth play gig here in Indonesia??
i'll definitely there...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
19.09.2009 - 02:53
urazov
Sorry!Opeth-progressive metal?????Or,Dream Theater-The best band the all years!!!!!!
20.09.2009 - 03:46
Sutekh

That was the Opeth/Virgin Black bill. I missed it too -two favourite bands! Sucks living a five hour drive from a capital city!
20.09.2009 - 10:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by urazov on 19.09.2009 at 02:53

Sorry!Opeth-progressive metal?????

yes, Opeth plays progressive death metal...a fact to be accepted
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.09.2009 - 10:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 11.06.2009 at 00:43

Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.06.2009 at 21:10

That reminds me of the first time I saw them.

Mikael: Yeah, so it is great to be back in the South. We played this venue on our very first US tour. Man, I love it here. Tonight I had something called a 'hush puppy' for dinner. I don't know what a hush puppy is, but it was damn good. This next song is "THE BAYING OF THE HOUNDS!"

Both times I saw them I came away with some good Akerfeldt quotes:

Jackass in the crowd: SUCK MY DICK!
Mikael: Why? Why should I suck your dick?
Jackass: Because you're Opeth!
Mikael: Yes we are in fact Opeth. Very perceptive of you.

Mikael: This next song is off of our first album, "Orchid", you may have recognized it because it has a picture of an orchid on the cover...
Random person: Whats it called?!
Mikael:*Looks stunned/confused* Whats it called? It's called - [Says something I couldn't understand] - Which is latin for "Swollen red anus"

The next time I saw them he finished up the opening track and before the distortion from the guitars fully faded out he went up to the mic and said "These pretzels are making me thirsty". I seemed to be one of the few people to get the Seinfeld reference.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.09.2009 - 12:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Saw them live for the second time yesterday, Progressive Nation tour. And they were good as always but I didn't really like the setlist. The concert took place at Hovet, where Micke Åkerfeldt saw his first show ever (Judas Priest). The two highlights where "Deliverance" (so heavy and raw, even my friend who isn't an Opeth fan screamed "SO FUCKING GOOD" to me) and "Hex Omega" where Åkerfeldts voice reached something I have never heard before. The audience had to cheer and applaud two times during the song for his vocals.

Setlist:
Windowpane
The Lotus Eater
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
White Cluster
Deliverance
Hex Omega
----
26.09.2009 - 17:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I still can't get over Watershed. It's so good. Even the bonus tracks blow me away.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.09.2009 - 06:56
RegalBeard
Just got real into them only recently... amazing band. love their weird jazzy guitar solos. mikael anderfeldt is also a rad guy in interviews and onstage etc.
29.09.2009 - 11:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by RegalBeard on 29.09.2009 at 06:56

Just got real into them only recently... amazing band. love their weird jazzy guitar solos. mikael anderfeldt is also a rad guy in interviews and onstage etc.

Akerfeldt.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.09.2009 - 21:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 29.09.2009 at 11:29

Akerfeldt.

Åkerfeldt
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.09.2009 - 21:44
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.09.2009 at 21:34

Akerfeldt.

Åkerfeldt

Awesomefelt
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.09.2009 - 21:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Elio on 30.09.2009 at 21:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.09.2009 at 21:34

Akerfeldt.

Åkerfeldt

Awesomefelt

Whateverfelt...important is, if the music is good...
----

01.10.2009 - 02:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by urazov on 19.09.2009 at 02:53

Sorry!Opeth-progressive metal?????Or,Dream Theater-The best band the all years!!!!!!

what did you try say or ask whit it?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.10.2009 - 04:00
ComePierrot
Hey guys, I have a spare ticket for the 10/10/09 Progressive Nation show at Wembley Arena, UK along with Dream Theater and Unexpect etc that I am *really* needing to shift due to my studentdom. Apologies if there is no advertising of this kind allowed here or if this is in the wrong place, but if you are interested then please send a message =) thanks.
01.10.2009 - 10:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Elio on 30.09.2009 at 21:44

Awesomefelt

Hahahah I wanted someone to do something like that... Thanks for that XD
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.10.2009 - 12:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Opeth and Dream Theater are so great to have on the same tour. Those bands really fit each other. I had seen that "Repentance" version before, but never "In My Time of Need" with LaBrie.
----
01.10.2009 - 12:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But who would be headliner ans who will support
----