Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
06.12.2009 - 19:49
Zuzuz0r
Written by K✞ulu on 06.12.2009 at 17:50

Doesn't anybody know any music resembling Opeth's Damnation? I tried Acoustic Alchemy, but they seemed kinda hollow. Damnation is great to me because the songs on it are rather simple, but they're very well-written. So I am looking for some good quality calm music, but it mustn't be boring.

Maybe Camel should do?, Damnation is highly influenced by Camel, Mikael even said that the song Ending Credits was a rip-off from a Camel song lol. I'll suggest you to try Mirage and Moonmadness.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
07.12.2009 - 12:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

Does anybody know any music resembling Opeth's Damnation? I tried Acoustic Alchemy, but they seemed kinda hollow. Damnation is great to me because the songs on it are rather simple, but they're very well-written. So I am looking for some good quality calm music, but it mustn't be boring.

Something "totally" different from Damnation but arguably even better - Green Carnation: Acoustic Verses. You probably have heard of it though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.12.2009 - 13:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 07.12.2009 at 12:31

Does anybody know any music resembling Opeth's Damnation? I tried Acoustic Alchemy, but they seemed kinda hollow. Damnation is great to me because the songs on it are rather simple, but they're very well-written. So I am looking for some good quality calm music, but it mustn't be boring.

Something "totally" different from Damnation but arguably even better - Green Carnation: Acoustic Verses. You probably have heard of it though.

Yeah, I have heard of that album, but the funny thing I have never listened to it. Checking this one out.

Written by Zuzuz0r on 06.12.2009 at 19:49

Maybe Camel should do?, Damnation is highly influenced by Camel, Mikael even said that the song Ending Credits was a rip-off from a Camel song lol. I'll suggest you to try Mirage and Moonmadness.

Thank you. Checking Mirage soon.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.12.2009 - 21:41
Misha_76
Opeth about their upcoming mini-tour (6 shows):

"We'll be playing the Blackwater Park album in its entirety followed by another set which will include songs we've rarely or never played live before. All in all more than two hours of Opeth. Exciting times for our band and we hope that you'll be there to share it with us!

The venues include [...] the luxurious Lichtburg in Essen, the oldest fully seated cinema in Germany."

Uaaaaargh
Opeth at the cinema!
10.12.2009 - 18:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh wow! It's a shame I can't attend any of those shows. Must be an awesome experience.
----

My Instagram
10.12.2009 - 20:15
Zuzuz0r
The entire BWP album and songs that they've rarely played or never played before?, awesome, I would like to hear BWP + Forest of October, Advent, The Twilight is My Robe, April Ethereal and Beneath the Mire(I don't know if they had played it before), it's a shame that I'm a bit too far hahaha.
----
Then God is not dead.
13.12.2009 - 20:12
opeth771
OMG I hate you europeans now! haha
14.12.2009 - 16:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by opeth771 on 13.12.2009 at 20:12

You can always go to the US shows
----

My Instagram
14.12.2009 - 17:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Misha_76 on 09.12.2009 at 21:41

Opeth about their upcoming mini-tour (6 shows):

"We'll be playing the Blackwater Park album in its entirety followed by another set which will include songs we've rarely or never played live before. All in all more than two hours of Opeth. Exciting times for our band and we hope that you'll be there to share it with us!

The venues include [...] the luxurious Lichtburg in Essen, the oldest fully seated cinema in Germany."

Uaaaaargh
Opeth at the cinema!

Are you serious dude??? I knew I would attend the Stockholm anniversary show, but I had no idea they would play this! Gonna be awesome!
----
16.12.2009 - 04:53
opeth771
Written by BloodTears on 14.12.2009 at 16:59

Unfortunately, they haven't planned a show in Montreal
16.12.2009 - 04:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by opeth771 on 16.12.2009 at 04:53

They've been to Montreal a decent number of times in the past two years as I recall...
19.12.2009 - 19:10
opeth771
Written by [user id=2084] on 16.12.2009 at 04:58

Written by opeth771 on 16.12.2009 at 04:53

They've been to Montreal a decent number of times in the past two years as I recall...

I know and I was at all their shows in Montreal, but I wanted to see the special show !:P
20.12.2009 - 11:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They'll play this "special set" in two US dates, that's what I was saying.
----

My Instagram
24.12.2009 - 02:39
xxhamzxx
Opeth is good to listen too. I find they change their sound alot.
27.02.2010 - 19:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just can't wait for the anniversary show!!!
I'll be there and to see them play the whole "Blackwater Park" along with other never before played songs is a dream for me! Hope they also add "Still Day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II" to the BP setlist.
----
05.03.2010 - 07:13
INÆRIS
The Throat of Winter is incredible!! It makes me soooo happy. I love how Akerfeldt is messing around with major keys and experimenting a lot wit different sounds. I love the 70's style synth stuff - well done Per. I was expecting at some moment a crash of heavy guitars and drums, but they surprised me like the always do. I love this new track. They definitely have something going here with their sound. It makes me wonder just how awesome the next album will be. There's nothing in the world like hearing a song by these guys for the first time. Long live this wonderful band!!! I wouldn't be the same without Opeth.
----
Still Life, Still Death
05.03.2010 - 15:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I like the song as well.
----

My Instagram
05.03.2010 - 23:24
Got Mayhem?
So...best first Opeth album? Everyone around here praises them but the last time I had one of their albums in my hand was years ago, well before I was a metalhead. I don't think I can even remember what album that was either...

Acutally, after looking around a bit it was probably Ghost Reveries.
----
07.03.2010 - 19:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I still think its funny watching people at an Opeth show...one second they're headbanging like crazy and moshing and the next moment they're standing perfectly still and waving slowly back and forth with their lighters...
31.03.2010 - 02:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just came home from their XX-show! And it was one of the most bad ass shows ever! Just Opeth playing for three whole hours, covering their whole career and "Blackwater Park" in full! Åkerfeldt said he was nervous since they weren't used to play a lot of the songs. But they gave a great show. At the end of the set we sang the swedish version of the happy birthday song to the band. Why they didn't release this concert as one big fat DVD is beyond me!

[SPOILER]

Most bad ass setlist ever:

The Leper Affinity
Bleak
Harvest
The Drapery Falls
Dirge for November
The Funeral Portrait
Patterns in the Ivy
Blackwater Park
---
Forest of October
Advent
April Ethereal
The Moor
Wreath
Hope Leaves
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
The Lotus Eater
----
01.04.2010 - 15:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Zuzuz0r on 10.12.2009 at 20:15

The entire BWP album and songs that they've rarely played or never played before?, awesome, I would like to hear BWP + Forest of October, Advent, The Twilight is My Robe, April Ethereal and Beneath the Mire(I don't know if they had played it before), it's a shame that I'm a bit too far hahaha.

Hehe, check out the setlist I just posted then.
----
02.04.2010 - 00:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I totally agree. Such concert must be released on a DVD! I still hope they will make one.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.04.2010 - 10:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh wow. Great, great setlist. I wished they would play Benighted though, for some reason.

I hope they'll record the show somewhere. I mean, they have to, I have to have it!
----

My Instagram
02.04.2010 - 19:22
Zuzuz0r
Written by Warman on 01.04.2010 at 15:06

Written by Zuzuz0r on 10.12.2009 at 20:15

Hehe, check out the setlist I just posted then.

Haha, damn, they played almost every song I've mentioned, except for The Twilight is My Robe and Beneath The Mire, and I agree that they should've record it on DVD, it could be way better than The Roundhouse Tapes.
----
Then God is not dead.
02.04.2010 - 20:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by BloodTears on 02.04.2010 at 10:11

Oh wow. Great, great setlist. I wished they would play Benighted though, for some reason.

I hope they'll record the show somewhere. I mean, they have to, I have to have it!

I'm very pleased with "The Moor", one of Opeth's best songs and definetly the best from "Still Life". But sure, "Benighted" is the second best track on the album IMO.

And I guess they didn't record something of the show because they... well, weren't sure how well it would turn out with all "new" songs. But I was totally blown away. So many highlights. Åkerfeldt's growls almost pierced us during "Bleak", "The Funeral Portrait" was so beautiful, "Blackwater Park" heavy as hell, "Advent" just magnificent, "April Ethereal" crushed us and "The Moor" was something of the best I've ever heard live (even though Åkerfeldt whined before playing it, saying how difficult and what a pain in the ass it is to play).
----
03.04.2010 - 10:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Warman on 02.04.2010 at 20:09

Written by BloodTears on 02.04.2010 at 10:11

I'm very pleased with "The Moor", one of Opeth's best songs and definetly the best from "Still Life". But sure, "Benighted" is the second best track on the album IMO.

And I guess they didn't record something of the show because they... well, weren't sure how well it would turn out with all "new" songs. But I was totally blown away. So many highlights. Åkerfeldt's growls almost pierced us during "Bleak", "The Funeral Portrait" was so beautiful, "Blackwater Park" heavy as hell, "Advent" just magnificent, "April Ethereal" crushed us and "The Moor" was something of the best I've ever heard live (even though Åkerfeldt whined before playing it, saying how difficult and what a pain in the ass it is to play).

I'm so jealous right now! Yes, I think it's still early to record a DVD, maybe when this mini-tour is over and they're more sure of themselves, because it can't be easy playing all of those songs.

Out of the setlist, "Advent", "April Ethereal", "The Moor", "funeral Portrait" and "Forest of October" would be highlights for me. I would probably cry in some of them, surely in "April Etheareal" from my favourite Opeth album.
----

My Instagram
03.04.2010 - 11:29
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I can't stop listening to the newest song they made for the God Of War videogame EP, really good, with the classic Opeth trademark sound, but still with "something" more.

I don't care if you listened to this before, I'll still post the song anyway:
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
03.04.2010 - 20:42
Zuzuz0r
Written by Daggon on 03.04.2010 at 11:29

I can't stop listening to the newest song they made for the God Of War videogame EP, really good, with the classic Opeth trademark sound, but still with "something" more.

I don't care if you listened to this before, I'll still post the song anyway:

I knew about this song, but didn't listened to it yet until now, and I think it sounds Porcupine Tree-ish lol, the song is cool.
----
Then God is not dead.
07.04.2010 - 20:03
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Am I the only metalhead who doesn't like Opeth or what? Aren't they kinda... boring?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
10.04.2010 - 14:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Plenty of people don't like Opeth, don't feel special about it

Apparently, they were filming the show in London, so I guess there's a DVD coming out. *dances*
----

My Instagram