Metal Storm logo
The Last Concert You Attended

Original post

Posted by Deadsoulman, 16.10.2007 - 09:33
Ok people, like the old one, this is the place to tell us your latest concert experiences!

I'll start by pasting my last message in the old thread:

I saw Behemoth, Kataklysm, Aborted and Lyfthrasyr on Sunday.

As I may write a report about this one, I won't say much. Just that Kataklysm, and above all Behemoth, were amazing. Really. Absolutely amazing. I've been blown away, even if it was the third time this year I was seeing Behemoth live (after the No Mercy fest and the Hellfest). But, as headliners, they are even better.

Ok, I'll just give you the setlists of the last two bands, for those who care
Setlist Kataklysm:
Like Angels (Weeping The Dark)
Let Them Burn
Ambassador Of Pain
The Resurrected
Crippled & Broken
Serenity In Fire
1999:6661:2000
Where The Enemy Sleeps...
Beyond Salvation
As I Slither
Face The Face Of War
Manipulator Of Souls
In Shadows And Dust

Setlist Behemoth:
Rome 64 C.E.
Slaying The Prophets Of Isa
Antichristian Phenomenon
Demigod
From The Pagan Vastlands
Prometherion
Conquer All
Christgrinding Avenue
Drum Solo
Slaves Shall Serve
As Above So Below
Summoning Of the Ancient Gods
Christians To The Lions
Decade Of Therion
Chant For Eschaton 2000

Encore:
I Got Erection (Turbonegro cover)

To reply to another post in the old thread, both bands played approximately 75 minutes.

Next to come is Enslaved and Keep Of Kalessin tomorrow
11.08.2009 - 10:13
bassolotake1
Account deleted
The last concert was Van Halen......years ago, The best concert I went to was Iron Maiden 18yrs ago and Armored Angel around the same time. It's been a while:)
11.08.2009 - 12:47
flamey
Around 3 weeks ago I went to Unirock Festival in Istanbul. 3-day festival featuring Amon Amarth, Kreator, Arch Enemy, Firewind, Rotting Christ, Paradise Lost and local bands.

Amon Amarth - Saw them for the 3rd time but still it was the gig that I enjoyed the most. They just kick ass.

Kreator - Second best show. Saw them like 4 years ago, this was my second time. I'm not into thrash much but Kreator is something different.

Arch Enemy - Saw them for the second time and again, like in Metalcamp last year, they just seem to have something missing... average show.

Firewind - I hadn't listened to them before the gig, I was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyable show although not my favorite genre.

Rotting Christ - Saw them for the 2nd time, it was a solid but short performance.

Paradise Lost - Well, not my thing I guess.. I was bored.
11.08.2009 - 19:12
Razorback
It was Iron Maiden,and it was amazing,but it was while ago,huh but i have long list of bands i wanna see;)
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
14.08.2009 - 20:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by flamey on 11.08.2009 at 12:47

Arch Enemy - Saw them for the second time and again, like in Metalcamp last year, they just seem to have something missing... average show.

Something missing overall or just that time? Because when I saw them they were full of energy and gave us a great show!
----
14.08.2009 - 22:16
flamey
Written by Warman on 14.08.2009 at 20:35

Written by flamey on 11.08.2009 at 12:47

Something missing overall or just that time? Because when I saw them they were full of energy and gave us a great show!

I think, it's just in their music, I dont know I can't get into them for some reason, maybe it's cos they're not as melodic as In Flames or Dark Tranquillity and so on, which are more my type. Wages of Sin is my favorite album, but besides that, I like only a few of their songs. In concert they're quite energetic as you said, and the fans always seem to be satisfied, but since I'm not much of a fan overall, I just watch and headbang a bit that's all
15.08.2009 - 00:46
Urizen367
There's been a severe lack of cash on my front so i've pretty much been limited to local 5 dollar shows. woo. i also haven't posted in this thread this year, sooo...
i've seen Graves of Valor against my will. (i'm friend's with their guitarist...so ya know, support your friends), this drone-metal band called Defeat, a few indie label thrash bands (ares, bloodtribe, final curse, Fatal), and a crust-punk called Population Control. who are actually a metal band afraid to admit that they are indeed metal. punk songs dont last longer than a minute.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
16.08.2009 - 12:06
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Saitenhexerin on 03.08.2009 at 20:43

Yesterday: Machine Head at Sonisphere Festival...
This was awesome, I tell ya - Machine Fuckin Head chants that lasted minutes!

Isnt that the one where their guitarist blacked out?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.08.2009 - 12:17
Saitenhexerin
Written by Spirit Molecule on 16.08.2009 at 12:06

Written by Saitenhexerin on 03.08.2009 at 20:43

Yesterday: Machine Head at Sonisphere Festival...
This was awesome, I tell ya - Machine Fuckin Head chants that lasted minutes!

Isnt that the one where their guitarist blacked out?

no that was SOnisphere in Finland as far as I know.

And the last concert I attended was the Metalfest in Camden last weekend.
Sylosis and the Eyes Of A Traitor were awesome!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
16.08.2009 - 12:38
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Last concert i attended was a bunch of local bands. Apart from that Opeth was the last international act that i watched. They were awesome
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.09.2009 - 06:53
sq_xeper
I saw Amorphis and Children of Bodom last night. Its was good, I wanted to see Amorphis from a long time ago, their setlist was great too, they played songs from the early and new days, it was an incredible surprise when they played songs like On Rich and Poor and The Castaway, although their performance was too damn short. I didnt want to leave without seeing CoB so I stayed, it was an Ok show, I just dont dig them as I did a few years ago
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
14.09.2009 - 20:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Not a concert but a festival.

Last Friday and Saturday went to see the Madrid Is The Dark Fest. This was apparently the first ever doom festival organized in Spain. Adrian Butler (Luggamusic, and ex-bass Mourning Beloveth) & José (Doomed Events) organized it perfectly. Great club, great sound, everything running on time and best of all SOLD OUT (I guess some 80 tickets of the 300 were sold to non-Spanish people, always a good sign that many foreignesrs like to turn) all in all some 350 people were present (band members and such and regular visitors paying for their tickets like me)

I aarived a couple of days early for the festibval to check out Madrid itself. SO had a nice little holiday in sweltering (35 degrees) Madrid.

On the Friday met up with the guys from Ataraxie in town in the afternoon and had some beers with them.
Off to the festival which started at 19.30h for an evening of doom

Helevorn (I enjoy them live a lot more than on cd where they are way too gothic sounding at times for my taste)
Ataraxie (great as ever live, plus surprsingly ended their set with a Saint Vitus cover)
Isole (good set but I have seen them better)
Saturnus (enjoyable as ever and not really notcieable that there have been some line-up changes)
Novembers Doom (not a fan of them on album generally especially not their newer albums, but very enjoyable live)

At the festival bumped loads of people I knew from doom gigs in in Holland and Germany and chatted and hung with Crister of Isole, the Ataraxie guys, the Officium Triste guys plus also unknown Poruguese, Spanish and Belgian people.

Saturday:
Aathma (only heard one track of theirs on a Terrorizer magazine compilation cd, but they blew me away with their Neurosis like approach. Bought their The Call Of Shiva cd at the festival)
Process Of Guilt (actually the main reason for me to go, especially after they released Erosion. They were by far the best band this weekend. They were just totally incredible. Goose bump inducing and bringing tears to my eyes)
Autumnal (saw them at Dutch Doom Days two years ago without the cello player, so today finally got to see them with the cello live. Well it was enjoyable but the cello doesn't really add anything to the music live at all.)
Officium Triste (first time I saw them with Martin as full-blown keyboard player live. And they went down a storm in Spain. Great tight performance and Pim really excelled vocally this time. Funny to see how well they are recieved in Spain whereas in Holland they aren't received this well at all. Good set)
Draconian ( I never liked this band at all, probably due to the female vocals. I prefer the Doom: Vs side project instead. Well live they were musically heavier and a little more interesting but the female vocals totally ruined it. Now being even worse than on album with her singing off-key all of the time.)

During the gig talked with Adrian butler at length and also with Rodrigo of Mar De Grises (apparently he lives in Marseille nowadays) also with Hugo of Process Of Guilt, who was really pleased with the PoG - Erosion review here on MS by me. Can't imagine why he was though and of course loads of other people as well. Didn't buy too much merch this time aorund, just a Process Of Guilt shirt and 4 cds of which only one was by a performing band (Aathma) and 2 by projects by Jo of Ataraxie and 1 by a Saudi Arabian band whose cd is distributed by Adrian Butler's Luggamusic.

For a more thorough review of the fest keep your eyes open here on MS, I am waiting for the picutres taking by Stijn of Insania Events (who also organizes BredaDOOM)

So, all in all a great fest.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2009 - 21:19
demonseed
Last concert I saw was Gojira. I saw them in Geneva and for a portuguese metalhead like me that was not very inspiring concearning the audience I mean. A good band needs a good audience and I've seen a lot of gigs in Switzerland ( were I live for the past 5 years) and the crowd is always cold ( no mosh for gods sake???).
Well Gojira totally rocked and for my surprise the crowd was insane with moshing crowd surfing and enjoying every moment of this great concert. Not many bands are capable of doing that at least not in Geneva.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
14.09.2009 - 21:36
Thanntos
That sounded like an amazing time Marcel, lucky SoB!
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
14.09.2009 - 22:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thanntos on 14.09.2009 at 21:36

Yes it was great. And btw, I really do have to pick up Arcana Coalestia it seems cause some of the Ataraxie guys were raving about it as were some of the Process of Guilt and Officium Triste guys and also the guy from Insania Events I was there with.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2009 - 00:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
@Marcel - It was one of those festivals that I would do anything to attend

btw I GOT to check out PoG

looking forward to the full review
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.09.2009 - 00:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2009 at 20:51

Ah, waiting for the review too.
and it's still fun to see you going to a gig, and knowing half of the people there!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.09.2009 - 02:34
Derwood
I took my 11 year old son to his first metal show last night. I knew I was in for a special night when the guy working the door on the way in shook my hand and told me what a great dad I was for bringing him to a show like this.

The first band was a last minute local replacement act called A Trip from Womb to Tomb. These guys were definitely a little different. The band consists of a drummer who does death growls and an insane bassist who does black shrieks. The result was a thoroughly entertaining set of guitarless groovy blackened death metal.

Next up was an up-and-coming Victoria, BC based act called Unleash the Archers who recently opened for Hibria and will soon be opening for Stratovarius when they come through Victoria. They are female fronted, but not operatic, with a guitarist who does some growls. Musically they are basically a power metal/melodeath blend. I don't normally care for female fronted acts, but I really like this one. Their debut album is called Behold the Devastation and their live performance is both tight and entertaining.

The third act of the bill was Vancouver based death-black-thrash band Tyrants Blood. These guys have been at it for a few years, have two albums under their belt and have a very polished live show for some pretty raw music. I had my boy at the front of the stage for their set and the singer Brian Langley took a minute between songs to talk about how great it was to see kids that young at a show and dedicated the next song to him. They gave him a set list when they were done.

The headliners for the night were 3 Inches of Blood. I had my son at the front of the stage for their set, too. They rocked. I was critical of Cam Pipes' vocals in my comments on the review of their new album; it must be something in the production because he sounded a hundred times better live than he does on the album and I take that comment back. Justin Hagberg's harsh vocals are also top notch. "All of Them Witches" was a real standout in their set.

After 3 Inches of Blood's set, their drummer, Ash Pearson, who had stopped to introduce himself to my son and I between earlier acts, came and found us so he could give my son one of his drumsticks. Shane Clark, their lead guitarist, stopped to give him a pick as well. Needless to say, my boy was absolutely stoked.

What a fantastic first experience for him attending a metal gig. He got to see four good to great acts, and a pretty diverse lot at that. He was singled out from the stage, given souvenirs by band members...these are the sorts of things that make metal special. My son now has an awesome memory that will stay with him the rest of his life. I'll be smiling about for a few years myself.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.09.2009 - 02:53
Thanntos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2009 at 22:02

Written by Thanntos on 14.09.2009 at 21:36

Yes it was great. And btw, I really do have to pick up Arcana Coalestia it seems cause some of the Ataraxie guys were raving about it as were some of the Process of Guilt and Officium Triste guys and also the guy from Insania Events I was there with.

Haha, told you man. It's one of the best for the year, along with PoG's release! Dont' trust me? Had to take it from actual metallers first?
kidding
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
15.09.2009 - 02:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Derwood on 15.09.2009 at 02:34

I took my 11 year old son to his first metal show last night. I knew I was in for a special night when the guy working the door on the way in shook my hand and told me what a great dad I was for bringing him to a show like this.

The first band was a last minute local replacement act called A Trip from Womb to Tomb. These guys were definitely a little different. The band consists of a drummer who does death growls and an insane bassist who does black shrieks. The result was a thoroughly entertaining set of guitarless groovy blackened death metal.

Next up was an up-and-coming Victoria, BC based act called Unleash the Archers who recently opened for Hibria and will soon be opening for Stratovarius when they come through Victoria. They are female fronted, but not operatic, with a guitarist who does some growls. Musically they are basically a power metal/melodeath blend. I don't normally care for female fronted acts, but I really like this one. Their debut album is called Behold the Devastation and their live performance is both tight and entertaining.

The third act of the bill was Vancouver based death-black-thrash band Tyrants Blood. These guys have been at it for a few years, have two albums under their belt and have a very polished live show for some pretty raw music. I had my boy at the front of the stage for their set and the singer Brian Langley took a minute between songs to talk about how great it was to see kids that young at a show and dedicated the next song to him. They gave him a set list when they were done.

The headliners for the night were 3 Inches of Blood. I had my son at the front of the stage for their set, too. They rocked. I was critical of Cam Pipes' vocals in my comments on the review of their new album; it must be something in the production because he sounded a hundred times better live than he does on the album and I take that comment back. Justin Hagberg's harsh vocals are also top notch. "All of Them Witches" was a real standout in their set.

After 3 Inches of Blood's set, their drummer, Ash Pearson, who had stopped to introduce himself to my son and I between earlier acts, came and found us so he could give my son one of his drumsticks. Shane Clark, their lead guitarist, stopped to give him a pick as well. Needless to say, my boy was absolutely stoked.

What a fantastic first experience for him attending a metal gig. He got to see four good to great acts, and a pretty diverse lot at that. He was singled out from the stage, given souvenirs by band members...these are the sorts of things that make metal special. My son now has an awesome memory that will stay with him the rest of his life. I'll be smiling about for a few years myself.

Wow, nice.
I don't have any kids myself, but if I had any I would want them to have a concert experience like this themselves when attending their first metal (or whatever) gig.
I totally like how 3ioB singled you and your son out and gav ehim that stuff. Now you can rest assured that your son will be lost to the cause of metal forever,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2009 - 03:04
tulkas
el parcero
@derwood: Yeah, man! What a great experience for kid, indeed! Really happy (and jealous ) of him. Pretty cool to see that stuff like that happens. How did the other people in the gig react to having/seeing a kid at the show as well? Must've been cool, I'd guess... I know I'd be shocked (in a good way) if at a gig I saw someone with their kid.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.09.2009 - 03:20
Derwood
Written by tulkas on 15.09.2009 at 03:04

@derwood: Yeah, man! What a great experience for kid, indeed! Really happy (and jealous ) of him. Pretty cool to see that stuff like that happens. How did the other people in the gig react to having/seeing a kid at the show as well? Must've been cool, I'd guess... I know I'd be shocked (in a good way) if at a gig I saw someone with their kid.

With all the comments I got, I think I'm in the running for some sort of unofficial "metal father of the year" award. It doesn't hurt that he's got long blonde hair and can bang his head with the best of them. There was actually another boy there the same age who got the same sort of treatment from the crowd and bands. It was a great atmosphere all around.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.09.2009 - 09:24
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yesterday I attended a festival that featured some bands from my country and others like The Agonist, Deicide, Voivod, Alcatrazz, Grave Digger Death Angel and Testament as the headliners. Sacred Reich was supposed to be there but I think they cancelled their gig.
- Deicide played well, it was a short show but they blew my head, Benton is very lame, he left the place even before they finished their part. I wiil forgive them just because Steve Asheim took some time to give me an autograph and have a pic with me.
- I'm not a fan of Grave Digger, but I think they played quite well, their singer sounds like Hansi from Blind Guardian... with more balls.
- Alcatrazz were simply awesome, Graham Bonnet is THE man, really, what a great voice and energy at his age, they even played Since You've Been Gone, great gig, if I was not a fan of them, now I am.
- FUCK! Death Angel really knows how to give everything on the stage, every single song was played amazingly, the mosh pit, the headbanging, the thrash! And then after their incredible show, Mark, Rob and Ted gave me their autographs (I think they were kinda drunk at this moment). My favorite band of the day, don't dare to miss them.
- Voivod delivered the goods, that's all I can say, If they sound great on studio, I can assure they are greater on stage. I just can say that they are all crazy!
- Finally Testament, oh man, they played the classics and the best songs from The Formation Of Damnation, great show, everyone on the band played amazingly, a show you must attend at least once in your life for sure.

Then today I attended a mini fest that gathered Diablo Swing Orchestra, Amorphis and Children Of Bodom. I attended this one because I wanted to see DSO, and well, I did, they are way too cool live, very energetic, and they played some songs from their upcoming album, and they sound even greater than the songs from The Butcher's Ballroom, surely it's going to kick some asses out there. Then I met the band and I can say that they are very nice people, I really enjoyed this night.
I missed most of the Amorphis part, but, they are not that great live. Then came COB, I just like some songs, they are just not my type, I think that I could have enjoyed their gig if I were a fan.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.09.2009 - 14:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daggon on 15.09.2009 at 09:24

- Alcatrazz were simply awesome, Graham Bonnet is THE man, really, what a great voice and energy at his age, they even played Since You've Been Gone, great gig, if I was not a fan of them, now I am.

I didn't even know Alcatrazz was back together. I have never seen them live although I was a big fan of theirs when first Yngwie Malmsteen was their guitarist and then Steve Vai.
But I always find it shame that such a band plays that Russ Ballard cover Since You've Been Gone live. OKay they play it better than the original but come on, so many bands have covered it it is unbelievable. Btw, did they play Kree Nakoorie, Island In The Sun, Jet To Jet, Hiroshima Mon Amour and God Blessed Video, Stripper, Sons And Lovers? Those are my favourite songs by them. The first three were orignally recorded with Malmsteen and the other three with Steve Vai.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2009 - 17:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Derwood on 15.09.2009 at 03:20

With all the comments I got, I think I'm in the running for some sort of unofficial "metal father of the year" award.

I'll vote for you, seriously
You gave a beautiful present to your son and he will remember it for the rest of his life.
____

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2009 at 20:51

Damn Marcel... that festival seems so fucking good. I would love to be in spain and check out those bands. Such a long time ago since I talked to someone in spanish that wasn't my sis or mom.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2009 - 22:24
I saw the guy who used to do Art Attack at the weekend, he's in a metal band
16.09.2009 - 03:23
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2009 at 14:32

Btw, did they play Kree Nakoorie, Island In The Sun, Jet To Jet, Hiroshima Mon Amour and God Blessed Video, Stripper, Sons And Lovers? Those are my favourite songs by them. The first three were orignally recorded with Malmsteen and the other three with Steve Vai.

To be honest I don't know very well their discography and well the first half of their gig I didn't pay too much attention (shame on me!) but if I'm not mistaken, they played Island In The Sun, Kree Nakoorie, Jet To Jet and Hiroshima Mon Amour, I don't remember to well about the other ones. The only thing I can say for sure is, if you have a chance to see them, don't miss them, I'm not a fan and I enjoyed their show, so if you like them, surely you will enjoy them much more
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
28.09.2009 - 18:52
Panterica
The last concert I attended was Dream Theater, and it was ABSOLUTLEY GREAT! I didn't recognize like 80% of the songs and still I was the happiest man on earth! The next concert is Opeth (Coincidence? Don't think so) and it's gonna be awsome! I looked them up in youtube and I havent seen even one bad performence, they totally rock in each show! I just hope they won't cancel again...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
05.10.2009 - 01:32
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yesterday I saw Kreator and Exodus. A local band opened and after some booing, Exodus came out, totally fucking awesome! The same for Kreator, total destroyers! Both bands were incredible, and I was kinda drunk hahaha, but I really enjoyed the night, both bands played their greatest hits, and many of my favorite songs. Great night indeed
----
08.10.2009 - 04:40
SerratedSyringe
Friday I went to see Warbringer, The Berzerker, Krisiun, Goatwhore, and Obituary. While I'm not a huge fan of thrash, Warbringer deffinately had the energy to get the show off to a good start. People were moshing before their first song was over!

Before the show I heard a lot of people asking who The Berzerker was, but after their set people absolutely swarmed their merch table. They were fantastic! It was good to finaly see my favorite band live. I got to meet their drummer Todd Hanson after the show, he was really chill.

I had never paid much attention to Krisiun prior to the show, but they are definately on my radar now.

As for Goatwhore, they were arguably the best band that night. I think there were more people at the show for Goatwhore, than the headliner Obituary. They seem to have kind of a cult following here in Raleigh.

I left halfway through Obituary's set. I've never really been able to get into them, plus by the time they came on everyone inside the cramped indoor venue was either plastered or baked (or both) I decided to leave before they got out onto the road.

This was only my second metal show, and my first real death metal show, but it was the most fun I've had in a long time.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
09.10.2009 - 07:06
leish
I just saw slayer on wednesday! was awesome....Next up for me will be opeth and lamb of god