Metal Storm logo
The origin of your username

Original post

Posted by GT, 29.05.2006 - 21:04
What is the story behind your username (and your custom title if you have one)?

In my own case it quite simple. Just the first letters in my first and last name. Boring and easy to remember
18.03.2012 - 01:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 01:03

the W in the German Weiss is closer to the English W in wise than the V in vice. I am not talking about the

Not trying to say you're wrong, or that I know more than you, since you live in that part of the world but in my small experience with Germans I've never heard any of them say "wise", I've always heard weiss pronounced like "vice". What German are you refering to, I assume maybe you know about or understand a different dialect? Not that I would know any different dialects or what dialects the Germans I've spoken with or listened to speak in, but most languages have different dialects for different regions so I would assume maybe you are familiar with a different dialect than any I have heard before...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

18.03.2012 - 03:26
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 14:47

Weiss?

Written by Ernis on 18.03.2012 at 00:19

Weiss/Weisz?

Well, in any case, Vice can't be a phonetic spelling. It's an "Anglicised approximation" of the sound... the Chinese also use it because they have a similarly sexed-up writing system as English... If you want a phonetic spelling then it'd be "VAISS"...

I just remembered bout Rachel Weisz (a really charming actress) who was at some point advised to change her name into Vice but she refused because Rachel Vice would've sounded... suggestive...

Yeah, Weiss (german for white). Vaiss sounds a bit like vase, depending on your accent. When we were taught german at school we were told weiss is pronounced "v-eye-s". My mum's family have always pronounced it "wee-s (weece might be an accurate phonetic spelling of it). I suspect the pronounciation was changed around one of the wars (my great-grandfather, the german, died before WWII). Vice just looks better than the other spelling options.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.03.2012 - 03:33
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 01:03

the W in the German Weiss is closer to the English W in wise than the V in vice. I am not talking about the

Might be in some varieties but in standard German which I was taught in at school the thing's simple: German W = English V; German V = English F

Examples: Weisswein (vaissvain), HIV (Ha I Fau), verabreden (Fe'apredn)... Basically in German V and F represent the same sound (that is f) whereas W stands for the V. Also, pre-soviet texts in Estonian used W in order to represent the V-sound because of German being the main international language in that region. Now that I think of it, standard German doesn't even have that particular semivowel that in English is written with a W.

Written by M C Vice on 18.03.2012 at 03:26

Yeah, Weiss (german for white). Vaiss sounds a bit like vase, depending on your accent. When we were taught german at school we were told weiss is pronounced "v-eye-s". My mum's family have always pronounced it "wee-s (weece might be an accurate phonetic spelling of it). I suspect the pronounciation was changed around one of the wars (my great-grandfather, the german, died before WWII). Vice just looks better than the other spelling options.

Weiss in German sounds like "vice" in English... or yes "v-eye-s" if you want to represent it like that. It definitely can't be pronounced "wees/weece" because that would mean it'd be written like "Uies" which doesn't make any sense at all...

English is a bitch when it comes to pronunciation. It's a sad thing. It's pronunciation is closer to Mandarin Chinese than to other European languages, that's why it's extremely hard and baffling for non-native speakers to master and it's even harder for English speakers to dig the pronunciation of other languages (which usually make more sense.) Mandarin and Cantonese will surely be a lot easier to learn than... German...

And the writing is also a bitch. When you usually have a system and pronunciation rules in European languages, English is so irregular and baffling that it's once again closer to Chinese (you have to use entire words and syllables in order to explain a word's sound while in other languages you just need letters)...
18.03.2012 - 05:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Yeah, Weiss (german for white).

I just watch hockey and know Stephen Weiss from the Florida Panthers so that's how I pronounce it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.03.2012 - 06:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.03.2012 at 05:28

Yeah, Weiss (german for white).

I just watch hockey and know Stephen Weiss from the Florida Panthers so that's how I pronounce it.

So he kept the V sound for the W?
----
18.03.2012 - 06:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 18.03.2012 at 06:11
So he kept the V sound for the W?

Nope. It's like ice with a w. Wice.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.03.2012 - 06:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.03.2012 - 12:56
Branzig
Boxcar is a damn Hobo! I knew it!

Mine's pretty simple....Danzig with "Br" in front of it (Brandon is my first name).

Danzig was my first taste of metal when I was a youngin...plus I was obsessed with the Misfits growing up...so my nickname has been Branzig amongst friends and web-zines alike for a long ass time.
----
In Grind We Crust
18.03.2012 - 13:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2012 at 06:14

You should cover that on your next album. And if you add some people to Sombre Eyes, you could re-name yourselves Willy and the Boxcars.
----
18.03.2012 - 14:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 18.03.2012 at 13:50

You should cover that on your next album. And if you add some people to Sombre Eyes, you could re-name yourselves Willy and the Boxcars.

Mr. Big already used it on one of their albums, so certainly not a good idea for Willy to use it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 15:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Actually my username comes from the Red Green show (google it)

He rigged up this redneck sound system, as said "Now you can pump out the the tunes like there's no tomorrow, you can even play The best of Boxcar Willie on the eight track"
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 04:48
Branzig
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2012 at 15:26

He rigged up this redneck sound system, as said "Now you can pump out the the tunes like there's no tomorrow, you can even play The best of Boxcar Willie on the eight track"

The Red Green Show is an EPIC among public broadcasting lol. I can't tell you how many HOURS I've wasted watching that flippin awesome show lol. When I was 12, I wanted to live at Possum Lodge haha.

"And remeber fellas! If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

...haha classic
----
In Grind We Crust
19.03.2012 - 04:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Branzig on 19.03.2012 at 04:48

Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.03.2012 at 15:26

The Red Green Show is an EPIC among public broadcasting lol. I can't tell you how many HOURS I've wasted watching that flippin awesome show lol. When I was 12, I wanted to live at Possum Lodge haha.

"And remeber fellas! If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handsome!" HANDY

...haha classic

Fixed the error

I <3 the show. The redneck things they do makes my day.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 04:53
Branzig
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 04:50

Fixed the error

I caught it and edited it right after I posted it...I was hoping I would beat you to it hahaha
----
In Grind We Crust
19.03.2012 - 04:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Branzig on 19.03.2012 at 04:53

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 04:50

Fixed the error

I caught it and edited it right after I posted it...I was hoping I would beat you to it hahaha

I didn't know the show was so popular down there

I'm off to bed though, We shall continue this in the morning.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 09:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 14:44

Written by M C Vice on 18.03.2012 at 13:50

Mr. Big already used it on one of their albums, so certainly not a good idea for Willy to use it

Just cause someone else has already done it doesn't mean you shouldn't. Just look at all the cover versions of Mony Mony.
----
07.04.2012 - 06:02
Void Eater
Account deleted
07.04.2012 - 09:12
Vikingr
Heh, well my actual name is Mark Holmes but my username of Vikingr comes from my unhealthy fascination with Vikings, Scandinavian dialects and history, and pirates (Vikingr translates into pirate). I was actually thinking of getting it as my third tattoo xD
11.04.2012 - 03:53
Thrashette
At the same time that I got really into thrash metal (like 4 or 5 years ago), I was over-using the words "dude" and "thrashtastic" just to piss everyone off. We ended up arguing about what word to use for female dudes and one of them insisted that it was "dudette". Then she randomly combined it with thrash and came up with Thrashette, and another one thought it should be my nickname. It never really stuck but it seemed to be a fitting username for a metal site
14.04.2012 - 09:24
Fritillaria
Account deleted
So anybody has any guess about my username ?
14.04.2012 - 17:02
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Something with flowers. I googled.

yeah but the complete username should have been Frittillaria Imperialis,a flower which only grows wild in plateau of Iran in west, where the Kurdish ppl live,I have a Kurd blood from one of my parent, this flower is named Tears of Mary due to its drooping flower in folklor culture, they use the essence of the flower to cure the depressed ppl who have been hurt of a loss. It has been also mentioned in Epic of Kings ( long Epic poem written by a Persian poet, in praise of myths and ancient history of Persia) when Siavash's (one of the heroes in this poem actually a warior ) head was being cut , this flower was the only who had witnessed his death, from that moment it's shedding tears for Siavash innocence death.It has been said one of the oldest plants that still grows on Earth.The illustrates of it in Taq-e-bostan(series of large rock relief) which have remained from Sassanid Empire of Persia prove that. At last it lives so shortly .
14.04.2012 - 20:18
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

If there was a list for the best username background stories, I think your story would be there in the top5.

Thanks dude
20.05.2012 - 01:05
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The serum that makes the zombies in Planet Terror.... Not even that big a fan of Quentin Tarantino, He is kind of a blow hard.
----
Coldgrits
21.05.2012 - 02:53
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
"No surprises" combined with the word usurper, thus Nosurper
----
04.06.2012 - 19:33
My new name is Orkish from lotr.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
13.06.2012 - 01:14
Project Endgame
Account deleted
Project + Megadeth album I was worshiping because I was too new into metal to realize how much better there is out there = Me, Project Endgame.

...may change back to a name I'm more well known as.
20.06.2012 - 18:04
FinnishSammich
Changed XBL gamertag to Finnish Sammich in 2010. Since then, when I register to a new forum I usually use FinnishSammich or Sammich as my name.
29.06.2012 - 14:23
J:oKeR
I like to joke a lot....and also liked that joker guy on dark night....:D
----
Aaaaaaaaaa
01.07.2012 - 19:10
FOOCK Nam
Written by J:oKeR on 29.06.2012 at 14:23

I like to joke a lot....and also liked that joker guy on dark night....:D

me same a lot (^-^)
02.07.2012 - 05:15
axelx666
I've used this name as long as i can remember...i don't exactly remember how it originated, i think it just stuck.
i used the name axel alot during my middleschool years and the 666 thing being rebellious i guess.
and the X because i am fascinated with the letter X.
and put it together voila!
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"