Metal Storm logo
The Next "Iron Maiden"?

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 29.10.2008 - 04:50
Ok, the topic title may seem a little vague, so let me explain.

Iron Maiden is just an example name, the greatest example I could find. Iron Maiden is one of those few metal bands that acquired mainstream success/mass appeal while still retaining the respect from the more elitist of metalheads. No one gets called a "poser" for being an Iron Maiden fan, yet they are waaay bigger than almost every band everyone deems as "sellouts".

So the more descriptive question is this: Who will be the next metal band (lets say bands that have formed in the last 10-15 years), that acquires mass appeal globally, while at the same time still holds respect from more elitist people?

Not such an easy question to answer. Due to the fact that the music business has completely changed since Iron Maidens prime, it's doubtful any other band in metal will reach the level of Iron Maiden again, so lets say the next mainstream band that everyone would be proud to be waving the "metal flag". Some possible answers that went through my head: Children Of Bodom - No, sure they are possibly one of the biggest metal bands to come out in the past 15 years, but once again they don't get much respect from the more learned of metalheads. Opeth maybe?

The reason I made this a topic is because I have no idea! In 25-30 years, Whats that one metal band thats not going to be known for selling out (*cough* *cough* Metallica *cough*), the band where all the kids are going to be wearing shirts of and referring to as "classic"? Any ideas anyone?
29.10.2008 - 20:50
totaliteraliter
Written by [user id=2084] on 29.10.2008 at 20:09
Opeth only really...

They lack anything close to the unanimous respect of the underground. The "true metal" ideal, if you will, isn't really being lived up to in their case. To much prog rock in their sound, not enough of that pure metal masculinity that bands like Maiden and Slayer and Metallica use(d) to unite the scene...
29.10.2008 - 20:58
MathC
Account deleted
Lol @ Opeth
29.10.2008 - 21:06
MathC
Account deleted
I do not believe there is any "next Iron Maiden" to be honest. And I'm perfectly fine with that. Who needs one ?
29.10.2008 - 21:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Stigmatized on 29.10.2008 at 16:05

Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 06:29

If Gojira keeps releasing solid albums like they have, i can see them getting big but still remaining tr00 to their r00ts.

Agreed. I don't see them changing anytime soon, and they will continue to get good recognition I hope. Who knows though, they prove us wrong.

i hope they dont go awry and start getting all mainstream about it. i saw a post above saying that theyre already sorta mainstream-ish but i dont see what hes talking about. i'm willing to bet that if you were to ask 10 people who say they listen to metal if theyve ever heard of Gojira, at least 7 or 8 would say no.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.10.2008 - 21:35
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 17:10

Written by LeChron James on 29.10.2008 at 06:29

If Gojira keeps releasing solid albums like they have, i can see them getting big but still remaining tr00 to their r00ts.

I must say, I never would have seen that one coming, but it makes sense. I believe Someone mentioned Down and High On Fire, though I doubt HoF will reach the same plateau I could really see Down doing it...

as long as Phil Anselmo is fronting Down, i dont see them really going anywhere. he's too erratic and unreliable. take Superjoint Ritual for example, that was a project he started while he was taking a "leave of absence" from Pantera because of back problems. the fact that he formed Superjoint got him banned from Dimebag's funeral.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.10.2008 - 22:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
On a second thought, Bodom would be the only one to fit in this description, as the "new iron maiden", but maybe if Alexi dropped the growls, mainstream people are getting massively turned off because of them. other than that they've got all they need: crazy image and music and of course some good and some EXCELLENT(first 2) albums released.
29.10.2008 - 23:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Introspekrieg on 29.10.2008 at 20:48

Ever since Iron Maiden has had songs on Guitar Hero I see all the skaters in my area wearing their shirts now- it's hilarious, having a video game be your channel to new music, but who knows... maybe I am just witnessing the paradigm shift. Anyways at least it is helping guitar-driven music become more popular, no matter how asinine it may be.

FWIW, Eddie was an unlockable character in one of the first 3-4 Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

Also of note, one of the decks you could choose was the bird of prey on the cover of Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance"... and Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" was on the soundtrack to one of the iterations as well.

This all dates back to around 1998-2001 or so, so i'm suprised skaters into metal is a new thing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.10.2008 - 23:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 29.10.2008 at 22:38

On a second thought, Bodom would be the only one to fit in this description, as the "new iron maiden", but maybe if Alexi dropped the growls, mainstream people are getting massively turned off because of them. other than that they've got all they need: crazy image and music and of course some good and some EXCELLENT(first 2) albums released.

Nah, I'd see them more as the next Metallica, the first 2-3 albums are well received by metalheads, then their sound got cleaner and more accessible which alienated many metalheads but at the same time received massive mainstream appeal, the similarities are quite stunning when you look at it. Hate Crew Death Roll was probably their "And Justice".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2008 - 23:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 29.10.2008 at 23:02

FWIW, Eddie was an unlockable character in one of the first 3-4 Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

Also of note, one of the decks you could choose was the bird of prey on the cover of Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance"... and Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" was on the soundtrack to one of the iterations as well.

This all dates back to around 1998-2001 or so, so i'm suprised skaters into metal is a new thing.

Oh yeah, I do remember that...
When I first moved out here (around 2004) to the West Chester area I had a lot of skater friends who were into more of the punk style. It seems though as this is Bam Margera's stomping ground he dictates what is fashionable for skaters at the time. There was the H.I.M. phase, the CoF one, but the Iron Maiden trend has arose recently. Maybe it's David Beckham's fault...
29.10.2008 - 23:18
totaliteraliter
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2008 at 23:03
Nah, I'd see them more as the next Metallica, the first 2-3 albums are well received by metalheads...

I'm not sure about that, COB were always good with the more mainstream/casual crowd but I always saw plenty of fans dismissing them as gimmicky pop metal pretty much from the outset. They had renown for their musicianship but I never saw them get much respect for writing intelligent music or anything like that...
29.10.2008 - 23:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ktulu lets say IM whit Blaze is much better generaly how NW whit Anette
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.10.2008 - 23:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Really? On those albums that everybody hates? You rated Virtual XI with a 6 and The X Factor with a 5, so are you saying that Nightwish's new album is worth even less? Or do you account for the live performances too?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.10.2008 - 00:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 29.10.2008 at 23:50

Really? On those albums that everybody hates? You rated Virtual XI with a 6 and The X Factor with a 5, so are you saying that Nightwish's new album is worth even less? Or do you account for the live performances too?

No I like Blaze albums, solo and IM thay are good too so I dont hate

new NW stupio completly sucks, live have no idea, but still Tarje remeber what musical background and adducation she has
----

30.10.2008 - 02:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I wasn't the only one that said Opeth you know...it was actually said a lot of times before I said it...and this thread is starting to get ridiculous...Nightwish as the next Iron Maiden? ...the fuck...?
30.10.2008 - 02:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 30.10.2008 at 02:22

I wasn't the only one that said Opeth you know...it was actually said a lot of times before I said it...and this thread is starting to get ridiculous...Nightwish as the next Iron Maiden? ...the fuck...?

Opeth can be and who knows maybe thay be, or are, because band is active many years, hasnt changed so much, actualy I like each IM album (whit out killers) more how Opeth ''Ghost Revieries'' but last is good, if thay wont change thay can be there

Hmm My Dying Bride too
----

30.10.2008 - 08:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Well, what's ridiculous about Nightwish? Although I do agree that Opeth are in a way a "greater" band than Nightwish, there still is a probably with growling vocals. And plus Nightwish discography is pretty impressive.

Anyway, my opinion right now is... no one ever will be as great as Iron Maiden, even Opeth.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.10.2008 - 09:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast

i dunno man, to be succesfull in the mainstream you need some appeal.. Opeth is strange to the max, their lyrics, their music, everything. i don't know how so many people, also those who aren't that much into prog/ultra-complex lyrics would like this piece for example(from "The Drapery Falls":

Please remedy my confusion
And thrust me back to the day
The silence of your seclusion
Brings night into all you say

it's pretty much like Devil Doll's lyrics. i think you need to be more straightforward with your music and stuff, Opeth is too damn subtle and apparently random for everyone to like them
30.10.2008 - 09:28
totaliteraliter
Opeth and Gojira share a problem for this topic in their lack of metalness - they aren't pure metal bands that can unite the scene, it's the nonmetal elements in their sound that often dominate their sound and differentiate them from others. It's these sort of metal-for-people-who-don't-like-metal aspects of their sound that have given them degrees of mainstream appeal and success, but at the same time limit their appeal within the metal scene. For Opeth at least I always considered them a shit metal band but a decent prog rock band, if that makes sense. Gojira aren't particularly notable either once you trim the post-rock fat, so rather than considering them an average death metal band with a bunch of superfluous ambient meandering one might be better off thinking of them as some sort of hybrid...ramble...

Written by Valentin B on 30.10.2008 at 09:00
Opeth is strange to the max, their lyrics, their music, everything.

Part of Opeth's appeal is their lyrics, they are somewhat vague but still revolve around pretty easily accessible emotional themes. Nothing really offensive or challenging about them, and I'd say they've played a part in their success.
30.10.2008 - 11:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
What about Nevermore?? Their discography is very solid and are quite appreciated.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.10.2008 - 12:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't see any band with "Iron Maiden" potential to be honest. Bands with gutural voices certainly won't make it because it is not an "acceptable" musical choice outside the metal world.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.10.2008 - 12:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Actually I'd say Nevermore is quite a big possibility. I'm guessing it hadn't been mentioned because of the fact they haven't released an album in a few years. If they can keep up the consistency of 'This Godless Endeavor' then it's definitely possible. The fact they're entrenched in thrash territory and have clean vocals and quality musicianship is always a plus. I think 'Enemies of Reality' might have held them back though but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't consider them a bad band.
30.10.2008 - 13:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 30.10.2008 at 12:19

I don't see any band with "Iron Maiden" potential to be honest. Bands with gutural voices certainly won't make it because it is not an "acceptable" musical choice outside the metal world.

But are vocals of metalcore bands that different? Some of the vocal types they employ are just as "unlistenable" as some death growls yet they maintain a level of commercial viability most likely because it's been force fed down people's throats continuously and has become a norm of sorts. Then you have to consider the fact that gutteral vocals have made their way into so called deathcore bands.

I think people are measuring today's standards by Iron Maiden's way back when. Back then it they were new and extreme. In today's world of music they're pretty tame as the world of metal has certainly changed since then. I don't think people are as sensitive to growls/screams/whatever so I don't think it implausible that bands like Opeth/Gojira etc to gain huge status.
30.10.2008 - 13:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.10.2008 at 13:11

Back then it they were new and extreme.

New, yes. Extreme, no. Remember that when they broke really big into the mainstream of pop culture you already had your Motorheads, Venoms, Metallicas, Slayers in metal. And of course Punk had already had its share of aminstream appeal.
Maiden broke big after Piece of Mind. Somehow I think most of you here seem to think they immediately became big.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.10.2008 - 13:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was under the impression they got big before Metallica and Slayer did? Regardless, my point still stands, I don't think the idea of non-clean vocals should be seen as a barrier to mainstream success.
30.10.2008 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.10.2008 at 13:40

I was under the impression they got big before Metallica and Slayer did? Regardless, my point still stands, I don't think the idea of non-clean vocals should be seen as a barrier to mainstream success.

Yes they got big before those two, but you were talking about extremity and when Iron Maiden started there were already more extreme acts around and when they made it big they certainly had been passed left and right in the extremity department.
Remember that punk was already big and mainstream before Iron Maiden even started and punk was already more extreme than Maiden would ever be.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 21:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm Grave Digger lsiten band firts album , midle album and samples from last one, IMO Grace Digger are best band who can be ''like IM""
----

02.11.2008 - 03:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Grave Digger? Who the fucks knows who they are? You can't call them the next Iron Maiden!
02.11.2008 - 05:50
Richard
Elite
An interesting idea for a thread. To be honest, I don't think any band which is more modern than Maiden is likely to achieve the same level of respect and acceptance as well as that level of commercial success. Perhaps it's partly because nowadays things are more segregated into specific scenes and sub-genres, bringing with them certain associations, and no new bands can achieve the same degree of historical significance. However, newcomers to Metal like Iron Maiden because 'it's all right to do so', kind of expected, and there's no stigma attached to it - so they appeal to people who are image-conscious as well as people who just love quality music.

I think it's really just these three all-time classic older bands: Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Motorhead, that have universal respect and appreciation from everyone. From the happiest Power Metal fan to the most morose Funeral Doomsters or misanthropic Black Metallers, it's those three bands that get respect in a way that no more modern bands are likely to IMO.
----
02.11.2008 - 10:40
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by [user id=2084] on 02.11.2008 at 03:47

Grave Digger? Who the fucks knows who they are? You can't call them the next Iron Maiden!

yeah. there's a bunch of power metal bands more known and appreciated than Grave Digger!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.11.2008 - 13:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 02.11.2008 at 10:40

Written by [user id=2084] on 02.11.2008 at 03:47

yeah. there's a bunch of power metal bands more known and appreciated than Grave Digger!

IT IS not power but heavy metal and listen band and you will understand it !!!!
----