Metal Storm logo
"True Metal"

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 03.07.2006 - 04:39
A lot of metalheads have been describing and discriminating against bands who they classify as 'true metal' (or 'tr00 metal'). Whilst this is not an actual defined metal sub genre like prog or black metal, I've seen this term used a lot to describe bands from Manowar to Burzum. Some metalheads are quite passionate about this pseudo-tag and have gotten into petty squabbles about what is true and what isn't.

Anyhow, I've decided to question your thoughts on what 'true metal' is or has been described as. There is no real answer so there will be no need to bash or redefine other people's points. What makes a band 'true'? What bands can be considered so? And can a band that has 'sold out' be classed as 'true' as well or do they have to be underground to a certain extent? Do bands belonging in a certain metal subgenre have a better chance of being 'true' than another metal subgenre?

Discuss. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
08.07.2006 - 10:44
Sune
Account deleted
Thanks for backing me up, I appreciate it

How do you know 3IoB? Do you have any of their stuff, their new or their old album, or both?? Or have you just heard a couple of songs??

(if you're interested I could always send you some.. )
08.07.2006 - 17:22
Markku
Account deleted
@ Sune

Yeah I agree we should agree on disagreeing( what a nice sentence). I think all arguement happened because there are many versions around what true metal actually is.

As you define it is a old school heavy metal, some see it as staying true to their original sound etc.
08.07.2006 - 17:25
Sune
Account deleted
Yes, you are right. Somewhere along the way, people have probably started to give it their own meaning... However, I still feel that what I said earlier is the correct thing, and that other theories are misunderstandings, but I guess we could keep this discussion going forever so I'll pass the torch to someone else
08.07.2006 - 17:42
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
my post on the previous page appears to be incorrect. people are using the word true and even "kvlt" in a serious manner in the extreme metal forum now. please don't consider these idiots to be representative of black metals fans. listening to black metal isn't some linear journey where how good a band is is determined by how similar they are to other certain bands. at least not for me anyway.

the only sensible use of thw word true is 'true doom' which is what many people refer to classic doom as.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
09.07.2006 - 03:43
Daru Jericho
Written by -tom- on 08.07.2006 at 17:42

my post on the previous page appears to be incorrect. people are using the word true and even "kvlt" in a serious manner in the extreme metal forum now. please don't consider these idiots to be representative of black metals fans. listening to black metal isn't some linear journey where how good a band is is determined by how similar they are to other certain bands. at least not for me anyway.

The fans that do use the kvlt and true seriously certainly can not represent the entire BM fanbase as a whole. I'm sure every genre has its fans that change to suit the stereotype.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.07.2006 - 05:02
Xcentrik
Account deleted
I've always thought that "true" metal is basically the same thing as "kvlt" metal.
Meaning really underground black metal bands who play some pretty rough stuff with usually a bad sound quality and avaible only on bootleg tapes ( it's a stereotype ). The kind of stuff you would have recorded in your garage.
Usually it qualifies the beginnings of what are today big BM bands like burzum or immortal (or others.. don't listen to much BM..).
I've never seen it used seriously, more often as "tr00" metal to make fun of the "L337" metalheads.

But meh.. I may be wrong
09.07.2006 - 05:23
Daru Jericho
Written by [user id=1052] on 09.07.2006 at 05:02

I've always thought that "true" metal is basically the same thing as "kvlt" metal.
Meaning really underground black metal bands who play some pretty rough stuff with usually a bad sound quality and avaible only on bootleg tapes ( it's a stereotype ). The kind of stuff you would have recorded in your garage.
Usually it qualifies the beginnings of what are today big BM bands like burzum or immortal (or others.. don't listen to much BM..).
I've never seen it used seriously, more often as "tr00" metal to make fun of the "L337" metalheads.

But meh.. I may be wrong

Well, that's certainly an opinion I have heard from a couple of other people before. It would be nice to think they were joking.
----

09.07.2006 - 21:42
F1R3PR00F
Account deleted
True metal is just the name that closed minded people give to their favorite, and occasionally widely accepted classics. To tell you the truth, they're usually just being dicks about it and telling you what they think you should listen to, and defining it 'true metal', when in reality, there is no such thing. It's all made up, fake and completely retarded.
11.07.2006 - 00:25
X-FrEaK
true metal...ive always seen it as EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT NU METAL!

well...its stupid for me..."WOW TR00! YOUVE GOT TO LISTEN TO TR00 METAL CAUSE THAT WAY YOU WILL BE A TR00 METALHEAD!if you listen to nu metal your are just a stupid teen..."...oh well...
----
13.07.2006 - 03:07
Bitch Boy
True metal... well, it may be every metal genre that isn't part of the alternative metal (nü, industrial, stoner, avantgarde, etc.). The bands from these genres involve some elements that doesn't belong to metal, for example rap vocals in nü metal, or the excesive use of electronic music elements in industrial. This also applies to bands from other genres, for example the non-true black metal bands, like Dimmu Borgir, or other BM bands that include keyboards or female voices, that aren't consider as true BM. Another fact can be that some bands are "too commercial" to be consider true metal, once again I refer to nü metal.
15.07.2006 - 18:47
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
A band is concidered "true" because of its attitude, no matter what kind of metal (with some exceptions: Prog, Nu, Industrial, Avantgarde, so on.). Or when you CANT classify a band, like Manowar for exemple, you dont know if they are Heavy Metal or Power Metal, so you just call them True Metal.
----
18.07.2006 - 08:18
Hyvaarin
Written by X-FrEaK on 11.07.2006 at 00:25

true metal...ive always seen it as EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT NU METAL!=

I'd actually extend it to any metal that isn't trashy American/American-styled stupid metal.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
18.07.2006 - 11:15
ElPolloDiablo
Account deleted

Usually it qualifies the beginnings of what are today big BM bands like burzum or immortal

I think the same
19.07.2006 - 02:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by 4look4rd on 15.07.2006 at 18:47

A band is concidered "true" because of its attitude, no matter what kind of metal (with some exceptions: Prog, Nu, Industrial, Avantgarde, so on.). Or when you CANT classify a band, like Manowar for exemple, you dont know if they are Heavy Metal or Power Metal, so you just call them True Metal.

I thought Manowar was "Greased up men wearing loin cloths metal"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.07.2006 - 06:29
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.07.2006 at 02:02

Written by 4look4rd on 15.07.2006 at 18:47

I thought Manowar was "Greased up men wearing loin cloths metal"

hahahahhahah!......that made my night
21.07.2006 - 12:57
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by X-FrEaK on 11.07.2006 at 00:25

true metal...ive always seen it as EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT NU METAL!

Yea me too. It's a term so that those tr00 suckers can pick on people who listen to nu metal. They just don't get it (and I think it's unfair of MS as well not to add nu metal bands )- I do believe that's really close minded and people bashing anyone for listening to nu metal, just because they are tr00 as steel and you are sooo false (bwah, what a word usage) are just super suckers with personal issues. I hate that kind of people. Get a life. Get some falsness!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.07.2006 - 06:58
X-FrEaK
lol got to agree with PhoeNNix...

its like a trend or something...if your are not in..you are bashed or descriminated...inside metal you are bashed because you listen to nu metal...why is that?

i have NEVER seen anyone bashing me for liistening to Queen or Nirvana...but Nu Metal? oh god its not tr00 metal u see?...

Korn have a song titled "Got the Life" ... i choose...Get a Life like phoennix lol \o/
----
24.07.2006 - 12:04
Achor
Account deleted
i hate the expression "true metal". i mean... what makes a band "true", and what makes another band "false"? i listen to whatever i want to listen to, and i dont want to hear by some other guy that its not "true" metal.
07.08.2006 - 00:54
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
True Metal is itself an actual category of Metal as far as im concerned. This category contains the original artists of Metal. Judas Priest, Maiden,Manowar,Stormwitch,Agent Steel,Fates Warning (now prog), all of these bands one could say are true metal. There is such thing as Traditional Metal and yes that is a genre. That is me however,whatever you choose to believe is up to you! However I suggest everyone listen to Stormwitch, probably one of the greatest metal bands of all time. At least for me.
07.08.2006 - 01:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've always seen True metal bands to be bands that always play the same style with the same sound, bands that (just like Masque of Death said) stick to their roots.
----
08.08.2006 - 09:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Basicly, I see true metal as Metal Bands that stck to their origional cause, and who are technicaly skilled and able to play quality music, the subgnre really doesn't Matter unless it's Nu Metal.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.08.2006 - 21:54
mar3|<
Account deleted
To me TR00 metal is metal that I listen to
19.08.2006 - 02:02
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by [user id=15104] on 24.07.2006 at 12:04

i hate the expression "true metal". i mean... what makes a band "true", and what makes another band "false"? i listen to whatever i want to listen to, and i dont want to hear by some other guy that its not "true" metal.

I'd definitely agree with you there Achor... I'm quite over the expression myslef and I believe it shoudln't actually be applied to anything in metal, the term is just plain stupid...
21.08.2006 - 02:55
Daru Jericho
So by reading these posts it looks like a lot of metallers don't consider nu metal to count as true metal .I wonder if it's because it's more mainstream than death, prog, doom etc metal...
----

21.08.2006 - 03:34
Baz Anderson
Staff
when i think of 'true metal bands' i just think of traditional heavy metal bands
Judas Priest, Sinner, etc..
that is true metal to me
22.08.2006 - 16:36
Anathemani@c
Written by [user id=2187] on 18.07.2006 at 11:15

Usually it qualifies the beginnings of what are today big BM bands like burzum or immortal

I think the same

I don't actually agree with you guys. I don't believe that true metal must be Black Metal. I think that true metal is what every musician of the metal scene believes in. This means that we can believe that true metal is wjat we 're thinking the best and more representative kim=nd of metal to us....
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
27.08.2006 - 18:28
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I don't believe in "true metal"
28.08.2006 - 03:28
Metalguaska
So there is also some kind of 'fake' metal, whatsoever???.. i just don't get that point of 'true' and 'kvlt' metal...
----
Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea
28.08.2006 - 09:08
ironman2002
False, True.. What the fuck is this? Listen to good music and don't care about these foolish labels.
28.08.2006 - 10:56
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I dont get it??? WTF is true metal? Music is either metal or not... Is the reference to "Sellouts"?