Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 20.05.2006 - 20:08
Well Im building up my Techinical Death Metal collection and im wondering what bands and albums should be needed in this collection, and thought that a thread needs to be made for recommendations on this. Im a fan of Psycroptic, Suffocation, and Cryptopsy.

Any list albums that should be inclued in the collection, bands and/or albums.

EDIT: Now we've got a lot of Tech DM bands added, make sure you go through and check if the band has been added or not, saves a bunch of repeats. Also lets get a little discussion about some of the bands.
29.05.2006 - 06:08
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Haha, good call Soul less.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
29.05.2006 - 17:20
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by John Barleycorn on 27.05.2006 at 21:36

I wanted to ask if "Obscura" by Gorguts is technical death metal album or is it something else (whatever that "else" is)? It´s definitely among my favourite albums but it sounds really weird, even for technical death.

Despite the fact that that album defies all the realms of music, I think that it can be placed in the tech. DM genre. Lots and lots of time signature changes, and despite the tempo not being too much in some songs, it's technical as HELL to play. I mean, look at some of the bass tabs:

D#||-----2-----2--3-----------|--------------12-----------||
A#||--4-----5--0-----2-----x--|--3--9--x--9------x--9--4--||
F ||-----0--------1-----2--x--|--------x-----10--x--------||
C ||--6-----3--------0--1--x--|--1--7--x--7------x--7--2--||
G ||--------------------------|---------------------------||

Mind Boggling!

Edit: Yes, I did say Bass tabs!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
30.05.2006 - 18:26
mvikred
ive come across this technical death metal band called psychophagist , havent heard them yet , but u can add to the list of recommendations
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
01.06.2006 - 02:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think the word "technical" is overused. People tend to confuse randomness with technicality I think.

@Cryptic Myth- I recently bought Obscura by Gorguts and I was slightly disappointed with it. During most of the songs it seemed like they were playing whatever they wanted individually, but not together.

I don't know if they have been mentioned yet, but I consider Dying Fetus to be very technical, well, the Kevin Tally stuff anyways. They have some of the most technical drum beats, especially in the Grotesque Impalement EP. I also noticed in Groteseque Impalement how well the guitar matched the drumwork. It's kinda hard for me to explain since I don't play an instrument.
01.06.2006 - 03:40
Stigmatized
Written by CrypticMyth on 21.05.2006 at 15:34

*COPIED FROM THE OLD METALSTORM FORUM [Don't worry it's my post]*

here are some totally cool technical death metal bands:
Start off with Atheist, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Necrophagist, Cephalic Carnage(though they have major Grind influences). It could get a tad more brutal with Cenotaph, Anata and such bands. Don't forget old school gems like Pestilence, Voivod, Hellwitch, Cynic, Gorguts(old), Demilich, Obliveon(who have Pierre Rémillard as guitarist, the producer for many tech. death albums from Canada), Pan.Thy.Monium(another Swano band ), Fifth Dominion, Nocturnus etc. Then you can get down to bands such as Cidesphere , Pavor, Capharnaum(Mongrain plays guitar here ), Beneath The Massacre(who have heavy hardcore influences, but good nonetheless), Domination Through Impurity(really cool, new band), Decapitated, Nile(their latest effort was most definately Tech. DM), Gorgasm(the French one), Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Thy Disease, Sceptic, Theory In Practice( Peter Lake ), Cadaveric Crematorium, Sleep Terror(must get for Necrophagist fans), Iniquity, Coprofago, The Shattering, Yattering, Dripping(weird but cool grindcore), Augury, Wayd, Esqarial(their latest one was very boring IMO, but Inheritance is awesome!), Visceral Bleeding(who were reviewed by Herz here, among the many others mentioned here), The Abodox, Led Astray(the drummer of whom happens to be an MS member ), Lykathea Aflame (how I wish they made another album), Scent Of Death, Gnostic, Burning Inside, Man Must Die(excellent stuff, kinda hardcore ish at times though)...

Okay that's about the bands that I saw from my Winamp playlist...I will post more stuff if I find any.

This is my fav. genre too if you didnt notice

God, I wish you knew what you were talking about. Seeing as how that's an old post and your opinions may have changed...who would you recommend someone to start with?
01.06.2006 - 04:41
mvikred
2 more bands to the list , some amazing talent here ... DAATH , a totally kick ass band .. jus have their album 'the hinderers' , though not the best around, its a good album

and Emeth ... jus got to listen to their album 'reticulated' ... very very good i must say. need more listens to get totally into the songs. but i do like them.

@Dream_Of_Hate : dude, tech death u always start with Death , Atheist ... nothing but them ... Death and Atheist. If u go album wise i'd suggest u listen to SYMBOLIC by Death and Unquestionable Presence by Atheist. U can follow it up by martyr, quo vadis, cenotaph, suffocation , cryptopsy, necrophagist and most of the ones mentioned above . ive heard almost all the bands above and all their album over the last year. Ive listened to nothing but tech death
----
01.06.2006 - 05:09
Trifixion
Account deleted
Yeah Death and Atheist are good to start out with but I'd say Necrophagist and Suffocation are better...I think Atheist isn't the best for starting out. The other 2 can kind of ease you into the whole idea until you get into more technical stuff like Martyr, Atheist, and a little favorite of mine Psycroptic if you need any of those Dream I'm here to help as always but it looks like Cryptic has a bit of a wider selection lol.
02.06.2006 - 03:12
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I also see Suffocation as more of i leading band in the Technical Death Dept, thats just me though.

Psycroptic are a very good band (home town band) and all their material is technical death metal at its finest. I can see these guys as an up-and-coming leading band for this kind of brutal music.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
02.06.2006 - 04:02
fire101
Account deleted
Go with the album Effigy Of The Forgotten by Suffocation. Nile is a similar band to Suffocation, so go with their album Annihilation of the Wicked.
02.06.2006 - 05:44
nekromaniak
Account deleted
im surprised no one mentioned Atrocity 1st 2 albums... especially "Longing For Death".. that sounds like an "unquestionable presence" to me..
02.06.2006 - 11:14
mvikred
Written by Xtreme Jax on 02.06.2006 at 03:12

I also see Suffocation as more of i leading band in the Technical Death Dept, thats just me though.

Psycroptic are a very good band (home town band) and all their material is technical death metal at its finest. I can see these guys as an up-and-coming leading band for this kind of brutal music.

yeah man .. i am a big fan of Psycroptic too .. now listening to 'merchants of deceit ' from symbols of failure ... amazing band ... this is one of those bansd i am glad, i am growing up with... will follow them till then decide to disband
----
03.06.2006 - 05:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I bought a Psycroptic cd about 2 months ago only because everyone recommended it, and I'm glad I did. It's an amazing cd.
04.06.2006 - 08:37
mvikred
^^ .. dude u bet u dont regret ... ive been listenin to all the 3 psycroptic album for the past 3 days ... with one or 2 other albums in between , but i am jus not getting enuf of them .. love them for their sheer brutality, the amazing riffs, kick ass drumming . 'the sceptre of the ancients', 'the isle of disenchantment' and 'sumbols of failure' .. amazing albums .... i hope they release a DVD soon. would be the first to get it
----
04.06.2006 - 09:56
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Anybody here heard of Weeping Birth?
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
04.06.2006 - 10:31
ylside
Staff
@Cryptic : Nocturnus and Pan.Thy.Monium as Technical DM ? How come ? Well I can see it for Nocturnus but I've always considered them as (technical) melodic DM. Anyway, you may add Carcariass to your list. Technical Melodic DM aswell, their first album "Hell of Earth" can be freely downloadable from their website, check it out everyone !
04.06.2006 - 21:33
Trifixion
Account deleted
@ylside- I downloaded Hell On Earth and I'm listening to it right now, and I'm loving it! The vocalist surprised me with such low growls but this is some really awesome stuff. I highly suggest everyone give these guys a listen.
05.06.2006 - 03:43
mvikred
Written by ylside on 04.06.2006 at 10:31

@Cryptic : Nocturnus and Pan.Thy.Monium as Technical DM ? How come ? Well I can see it for Nocturnus but I've always considered them as (technical) melodic DM. Anyway, you may add Carcariass to your list. Technical Melodic DM aswell, their first album "Hell of Earth" can be freely downloadable from their website, check it out everyone !

dude even the second album is up for dld on their website .. its called 'sideral torment' ... and trust me its better than 'hell of earth' ... ive heard both, loved both, but love sideral torment a bit more.... nice melo stuff with nice solos with pretty neat drumming, though not mind blowing or something ... their new album killing process is more technical and a better album musically , i must say. ive got it too

yeah man nocturnus is technical...their earlier work was .. nocturnus demo's and the album 'the key' are very technical ... totally love the songs BC/AD, mummified, Left to die ... very awesome band .. got into them only a month back , but have heard them a lot in this one month ........ and Pan.Thy.Monium is technical for its compositional genius... Dan Swano does take the game to another level. he uses some pretty neat odd time sigs in Khaoohs, dawn of dreams and other albums too.
----
05.06.2006 - 04:02
ylside
Staff
Dan Swanö played mainly keyboard and bass in Pan.Thy.Monium, his brother (Dag Swanö) was the one behind guitar licks (if that's what you are referring to) But still, I've never considered them as technical.

Yes I know that both albums are available to download, however my opinion is that the first surpasses Sideral Torment by a lot. It's hell-of-a catchy but yet quite technical with perhaps the best non fast guitar solos I've heard up to now.
05.06.2006 - 05:28
mvikred
^^ maybe its jus a personal choice, but i find sideral torment to be very catchy , distributed thinking, indians eviction .. and other songs in that album are totally aweosme .... but i'd say even now that 'killing process' is technically better album ... its got some amazing bass lines, especially in the song called 'watery grave' ... its available for dld .. do chk it out \m/

and i dint know that dag swano wrote the guitar licks ... i thought dan did the compositions, atleast thts wat i read b4. will chk up on it

mvikred
----
05.06.2006 - 14:34
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Checked out two tracks then of Carcariass with the 'Hell Of Earth' album. Very good stuff, it was catchier than what i thought it would be but thats not a bad thing at all, and the growls were cool. I would check out some more but my computer took so long just to download the two (took roughly 15 minutes each.. yes really slow net dial up) so i'll wait until a couple of weeks until im oin the college computers where they would load instantly ... hey i need something to motivate me to go back there lol.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.06.2006 - 20:00
Mort
Hieronymus Bosch -great russian techno-death band, I think all fans of Atheist will like 'em. They tend to make only one album per decade ("Human Abstract" and "Artificial emotions" since 1994), but the albums are amazing. Pure art.
www.hieronymus-bosch.ru
06.06.2006 - 07:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by ylside on 04.06.2006 at 10:31

Anyway, you may add Carcariass to your list. Technical Melodic DM aswell, their first album "Hell of Earth" can be freely downloadable from their website, check it out everyone !

Good call, man. I wasted 9 blank cd's trying to burn Sideral Torment, but it was worth it. I liked that one better than Hell on Earth.
06.06.2006 - 07:08
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I strongly recommend a new-yorker band called BIOLICH, they play a weird and fantastic mix between Technical Death Metal, Grindcore and Avant-Garde... they had been 10 years around and had only released demos and one EP, which I have the luck to own, and they're certainly worthy...

There's another Finnish band called Death Du Jour, that although is extremely hard to digest at first, due to the overdose of rhythmic/melodic breaks, grows a lot with time and their atmosphere is heavy as hell, and at the same time they're one of the most skilled bands around...

And from my own country, I would recommend Coprofago, they released an extraordinary album last year called "Unorthodox Creative Criteria"... they play a jazzy free-styled progressive Technical Death/Thrash and are a must check.
07.06.2006 - 07:47
samael06
Account deleted
Obviously, with all the bands already mentioned there really is nothing new for me to add. So let me just say that my faves are Necrophagist, Sadus and Atheist.

07.06.2006 - 10:04
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Hmm...I'd say Sadus would be more in place under Technical Thrash Metal rather than Death Metal.
Anyhow....
----
09.06.2006 - 06:23
mvikred
Written by CrypticMyth on 04.06.2006 at 09:56

Anybody here heard of Weeping Birth?

naa man .. tell me abt this weeping birth

mvikred
----
09.06.2006 - 06:27
mvikred
Written by [user id=5080] on 06.06.2006 at 07:08

I strongly recommend a new-yorker band called BIOLICH, they play a weird and fantastic mix between Technical Death Metal, Grindcore and Avant-Garde... they had been 10 years around and had only released demos and one EP, which I have the luck to own, and they're certainly worthy...

There's another Finnish band called Death Du Jour, that although is extremely hard to digest at first, due to the overdose of rhythmic/melodic breaks, grows a lot with time and their atmosphere is heavy as hell, and at the same time they're one of the most skilled bands around...

And from my own country, I would recommend Coprofago, they released an extraordinary album last year called "Unorthodox Creative Criteria"... they play a jazzy free-styled progressive Technical Death/Thrash and are a must check.

will have to chk out the first 2 bands that u mentioned .. never heard of them

ive heard coprofago, and really liked 'unorthodox creative criteria' ... amazing album , i love it cuz they put in jazz elements so well with the whole prog metal .. it sounds jus as though it was made to be(sounds cheesy, but seriously it does sound like that )

@pyroleprechaun : no man .. sadus is technical thrash ... and the bass lines are awesome cuz its steve digiorgio .. the bass lines HAVE to be awesome wen its him playing
----
09.06.2006 - 07:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol technical thrash? There's not too many of those bands around...

@mvikred- this is kind of a late response, but I totally agree with you on Sideral Torment being better than Hell on Earth. Most of the songs are well-made instrumentals and the guitar is really good.
09.06.2006 - 08:45
mvikred
^^ funny it may sound but technical thrash does exist

anacrusis is one more amazing band of this genre ... chk on metal-archives.com for more

mvikred
----
09.06.2006 - 08:53
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
@pyroleprechaun: Anacrusis, Watchtower, Gojira, Meshuggah, Coroner ( ), and many other bands belong to this genre dude - including Sadus

@Mvikred: Even I haven't heard Weeping Birth yet, but my friend told me they're like the perfect amalgamation of Necrophagist and Dimmu Borgir Sounds Interesting....
----