Metal Storm logo
What do you think about the term "Sold Out"?

Original post

Posted by selken, 19.08.2007 - 06:06
All of we have used (or at least heard) the term "sold out", we know that is applied as a response of the dissapointment from old hardcore fans when their favourite bands change drastically their style of music, for both experimenting or reaching wider audiences, and obtain commercial success. What do you think about the term?, Is this correct? What makes you consider a band sold out?

We must keep in mind that many musicians have the music as their jobs, and thus, this is the way for them to put food on their tables, so we must consider why a band sometimes really NEEDS commercial success, I know this is not an excuse (read about Therion), but we must stay in the artists shoes to know what is really happening.

IMO, I don't like the term, for me, Metallica is the only "sold out" band, because of the Napster issue, i mean, they are millionaires, and were so at the time of the Napster issue and blah, blah, blah..... you know the rest.
04.09.2007 - 01:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by KryptoN on 19.08.2007 at 16:35

commercial success (or the seeking of commercial success) does not have direct correlation to the quality of the music.

in some cases it does. A bands first album (in rock mostly) sounds more genuine because they have there whole life behind them to write about, about real struggles and such. The riffs are ones theyve been building on for a while. but once theyve gotten big its like, whats left to write about? how we drive around in limos and have been in an airplane for the past 3 years? and the band has to write brand new riffs and such in a pressured amount of time. Contractual obligation has another thing to do with it, with the first album they have lots of time to write (and usually have lots of songs written already) before they have to do any studio time. ONce they get big the greedy record companies say "Ok, new album by this deadline" so the band is now writing out of legal obligations instead of an artistic expression.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2007 - 06:40
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Sure its not a term you want to use alot, any most of the time its spoken without knowledge of why the band went that direction. The point is though, most of us here dont want to hear music aimed for the commercial audience. So when bands do this, we hate it and call them sellouts. Sometimes correct sometimes wrong. It depends entirely on the bands situation and your taste in music. I mean, someone who loves metal and radio hits will generally accept the bands change, whereas someone who loves metal, but really underground stuff, wont adapt. Its just tastes, there is no right or wrong answer most of the time.
04.09.2007 - 13:08
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Doc G. on 04.09.2007 at 01:24

Written by KryptoN on 19.08.2007 at 16:35

commercial success (or the seeking of commercial success) does not have direct correlation to the quality of the music.

in some cases it does.

That's kind of my point, there's no correlation because it's just "some cases". These "some cases" are also highly subjective and I was talking about myself. I thought people would understand that so I didn't underline that particular point.

I don't know if the rest of the post was relevant because it doesn't have much to do with what I meant in the post earlier. So I don't know how to comment / I won't comment that.
20.10.2007 - 19:57
Ellie
Account deleted
I don't know..like some bands I'm totally like "They sooo sold out!" Like with Slayer, Anthrax (especially Scott Ian), Children of Bodom, Metallica, exc. But then with some bands like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, exc. I would never even think of them selling out despite how famous they are. Anyways I think it just comes to the fact as to who takes too much advantage of their fame and whatnot.
21.10.2007 - 06:13
TDFX
Hmmm "going mainstream" would be more descriptive. Very appropriate for a lot of ex-Gothic Metal bands. :-\
----
Last.fm
04.11.2007 - 20:31
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
To me "sold out" means when a band forgets it's true fans, and intentionally changes it's musical style to the most popular style of the era. This involves changing their music's style, going more commercial, getting richer. A lot of bands have done this, but the best example i can give is when Metallica changed their style to hard rock in the 90's (when hard rock was very popular), and again in the 21st century when nu-metal arose. Other well known bands that have done this are Megadeth, Anthrax.
05.11.2007 - 05:19
ASiema113
(IMO) People tend to overuse the word "soldout" just as much as they use the word's over/underrated. Just because I band has made a good amount of money in their career doesn't exactly mean they have "soldout". No, I think when I band has purposely produced an album with the only intention in mind to make money, while sacrificing the sound in or producing something that is "trendy".
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
06.11.2007 - 21:38
Samuel550
Account deleted
I personally find the term and what it represents a bit of cliché in todays modern world of heavy metal. I don't believe bands should be judged and blamed for making musical changes based on their own decisions. Not even Metallica, though I only blame them for being whiny bitches. And sometimes, as others have said before, it does work out. Case in point: Sepultura-Chaos AD, Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Judas Priest-Screaming For Vengeance. All brilliant albums.
06.11.2007 - 21:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=26806] on 06.11.2007 at 21:38

... Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath,

this has me totally baffled, why in god's name would regard this as a sell-out album?

Now if you had said Technical ecstacy I could have understood. But Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? Never a sell-out album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2007 - 21:43
juanopereira
I think bands have to earn money, but with good music. When thay start to make music just for making money, then you can say they sold out.
06.11.2007 - 21:48
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2007 at 21:43

this has me totally baffled, why in god's name would regard this as a sell-out album?

Now if you had said Technical ecstacy I could have understood. But Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? Never a sell-out album

I didn't say it was a sell out album, but an example of a band making musical change and staying true to its self. Most fans don't tend to see it this way when even the slightest changes are made.
06.11.2007 - 21:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=26806] on 06.11.2007 at 21:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2007 at 21:43

I didn't say it was a sell out album, but an example of a band making musical change and staying true to its self. Most fans don't tend to see it this way when even the slightest changes are made.

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.
But IMO the changes compared to their earlier albums are just minor.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2007 - 21:53
Samuel550
Account deleted
Point. I just thought the ballads were getting more radio friendly.
06.11.2007 - 22:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=26806] on 06.11.2007 at 21:53

Point. I just thought the ballads were getting more radio friendly.

IMO nothing beats Changes in terms of radio frinedliness and that one is from before Sabbath Bloody Sabbath of course.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2007 - 22:06
Samuel550
Account deleted
SHIT! Forgot about that one, of course it's been a while since I put Vol.4 on.
07.11.2007 - 14:44
VPeter
I don't mind if a band wants to become populair and make more money, but it depends HOW they do it.
If they overproduce and mix there sound with numetal to get along the trend and forget about their older fans, that's were I draw the line.
07.11.2007 - 19:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The term SOLD OUT used to piss me off a lot about a band...I don't think it's really a big deal...a band can sell out in so many different ways...the way that Tir na nog mentioned would annoy and irritate the most...selling out like changing labels to make more money and stuff and to get a bigger audience like Opeth did isn't a problem...
07.11.2007 - 19:08
Philaenas
Account deleted
Heh, in the end it's all about your personal taste in music. I do not really tend to cling to bands. I think this term "sold out" is rather irrelevant as I just listen to music that sounds good to my ears. Whether or not the band that created this music is a so-called "sold out" band is none of my concern. Thus, a further discussion about this topic logically seems to have no point in my opinion.
09.11.2007 - 01:11
Iceland_Norway
In Italy Do sold Out is important for Live in Italy to reorganize the band Entire Next tour putting inside dates where the band made the last year SOLD OUT.

I'm sure that Iron Maiden for the next Somewhere Back In Time Tour could do Sold Out in Italy.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
13.11.2007 - 14:46
Empress
How to create a sexy pop star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irk3_p15RJY

Before the music dies

http://www.beforethemusicdies.com/
09.12.2007 - 20:38
ArcanaHereticae
Depends on the genre of the band. In Pop and all that shit, or mainstream music in general, it's easy to "Sell out" because there is such a demand for that shit. In Metal, which is typically an underground genre... very little money is made anyways. Think about it... you don't get paid as much to tour as other genres, what little money your album is or would be making at the time will go under due to the fact it will be downloaded by kids on the internet. In Metal, to what the FUCK is there to sell out?
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
20.12.2007 - 15:53
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well for starters, the word is used too often I think. It's not always the case that bands go ahead trying to make the music that they think will make them money. Sometimes the band just releases music that happens to be good, and attracts a lot of attention. Sometimes different things become popular. Even bands that do change their style might do it because they want to change themselves. Sure, they won't be catering for their older audiences, but maybe they just want to create different music.

Some bands do make music specifically to make a profit, and I you could say that they are "selling out" (for use of a better phrase...), but it's not always the case.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
21.12.2007 - 23:35
Syzygy
Account deleted
I dislike the term 'Sell Out' - It tends to discourage bands who are actually eager to try something new and experiment, or *gasp* do something as horrible and heinous as change or divert from their particular genre.

There is nothing wrong with wanting massive crowds and booming record sales. Really, who doesn't want to be successful? However (and unfortunately so), a band that truly does 'sell out' and up basically prostituting themselves probably couldn't give a damn about your or my opinion anyway.
22.12.2007 - 02:31
selken
Irreligious
It seems that many people (not you guys) don't understand the actual situation of an artist.
Let me explain my point:
In economical terms, bands are just enterprises, and, what's the sense of an enterprise? to make money, why? because people involved in that enterprise (the band) put a lot of effort on their job and of course they want something in return for that effort. If they see a chance for making more money they have the right to take that chance, you would do the same.

I admit I used the term with ardent hate towards Metallica, Stratovarius, Megadeth and many others in the past, but when you'd have a job you will understand, that your personal ambitions overpass your roots....
----
18.04.2008 - 21:23
Berfones
Bands do not sell out, they "change their musical style to fit the demands of a wider audiance"
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
19.04.2008 - 14:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Sold out is a term that I use for the bands that Change their style of music JUST because they want more money... and not for the love of making music, something that it's just stupid.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.05.2008 - 10:25
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
When a band is a sold out, it must enter in the general taste of the people, and people believes everything, sold out reminds me to Metallica, Children Od Bodom...you know stuff like that, that used to be good, but to enter into another taste they changedsome things that were respected.
04.05.2008 - 09:13
selken
Irreligious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.04.2008 at 14:29

Sold out is a term that I use for the bands that Change their style of music JUST because they want more money... and not for the love of making music, something that it's just stupid.

it's not stupid....

you just cant buy food with love, but with money you can

what is actually stupid is to claim to be genuine when you know you are "mainstreamed"
----
04.05.2008 - 13:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by selken on 04.05.2008 at 09:13

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.04.2008 at 14:29

it's not stupid....

you just cant buy food with love, but with money you can

what is actually stupid is to claim to be genuine when you know you are "mainstreamed"

I meaned the bands that ALREADY have a lot of money... that's what I call a sell-out for the worse...

And I agree with the last sentence...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.05.2008 - 13:55
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by selken on 04.05.2008 at 09:13

So mainstream music cannot be "genuine"?