Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
03.06.2006 - 12:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by DIE_by_my_HAND on 03.06.2006 at 04:11

Written by Lucas on 01.06.2006 at 18:59

Metallica can be removed right away. They started in the early '80ths, whilst Metal started in the '70ths.

I don't really know.. I'd like to see what some guys say about, those who know mor about the history than I do..

Actually some may say it was invented in the late 60s with bands like Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, Free, Uriah Heep, Mountain, Humble Pie, Bloodrock, MC5, Black Widow, Atomic Rooster, Cactus, Diamond Head and Black Sabbath. Blue Cheer was to my knowledge the first band to sound "heavy" - pretty much like distorted blues. But for me it is Black Sabbath because they were THE heaviest out of these.

Late 60ths, early 70ths.. what's the big difference? Well, I have never claimed to know much about the history of metal, it was a guess, moreless.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.06.2006 - 14:07
Demonizer
I don't see why people always want to know "the" band that invented/first played Heavy Metal.
It's not just one band, but hundreds of bands, starting from progressive blues or even before that...The evolution of this genre is a long and difficult one and several bands had influece on it without even knowing it themselves (the Beatles,...) even the early metal bands themselves had influece on the genre.
You also have to realize that what we consider to be "heavy metal" today isn't what it was in the 70's: a lot of subgenres (especially thrash metal bands like Metallica and Slayer) are what most people think of when you talk about heavy metal.
Also the name heavy metal was only given a few years later to bands that were considered by some to be metal (Black Sabbath,Deep Purple, Steppenwolf...)those bands didn't see themselves as metal bands, but more as hard rock/ progressive blues
So you actually need to take a look the first few bands that called themselves a heavy metal band. Judas Priest was one of those bands that really promoted themselves as metal since they started(altough only with moderate succes). their first few albums(Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny) represent what they thought was heavy metal and they progressed from that point further defining the genre. Motörhead did just the same a few years later as did Iron Maiden.
Those 3 bands were the first "big" bands that considered themselves as metal and from that point on there came several subgenres.
So my point is, that metal is a long evolution with lots of influences from everywhere and if you want to know the first real metal band, you will never find an answer where everyone can agree with, because there alway will be a certain "older" band that had more influece than the one suggested at first
03.06.2006 - 14:24
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Dam3k on 03.06.2006 at 00:40

Written by Lupas on 01.06.2006 at 22:24

Well i see that Black Sabbath are the first. ANd it is interesting that the first metal band where from USA and not from Sewden or Finland .

AS i'm right about Black Sabbath from USA

Sorry didn't read that before... man u are really lost in metal scene and history =), Sweden and Finland have been development metal since 80s-90s the exists since 70s and it came from hard rock, Sweden and Finland are reprenstative in death, power, symphonic or whatever but for sure not in the classic heavy metal scene!!

Yeah you are right About Music Histoy i'm totally lost , and that why i opened this thread. Every post i learn something new , tks to you , all
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
03.06.2006 - 19:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
it has got to be Judas Priest doesnt it
obviously there wasnt one band that just came along and all of a sudden 'heavy metal' was born
bands influenced each other, but in my opinion, the first heavy metal album - as heavy metal is today - is Judas Priest's 'Sad Wings Of Destiny'
-like they said.. 'Sabbath was heavy, 'Priest was metal
03.06.2006 - 20:18
Demonizer
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.06.2006 at 19:07

like they said.. 'Sabbath was heavy, 'Priest was metal

I've alway liked that quote!
I wouldn't say Priest invented metal, but they were the first to promote themselves as a metal band and I gues that is equally important
03.06.2006 - 21:16
Pierre Tombale
Elite
Written by Demonizer on 03.06.2006 at 14:07

I don't see why people always want to know "the" band that invented/first played Heavy Metal.

it's the same question as "where is the holy grail?",
it does not really matter what was before or after
08.06.2006 - 07:51
Masque Of Death
Account deleted
Black Sabbath invented metal!!! and that's all she wrote
09.06.2006 - 00:35
bangladesh
I think that was Black Sabbath because wen they start to play music it was a new thing, completly different compared to what has been maden in that time. Satanic for the time
09.06.2006 - 13:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
absolutely black sabbath,because they played hard rock back in '67 goddamit! they are the oldest band on metalstorm and they are the fathers of heavy metal(at least heavy,if not all metal)
12.06.2006 - 07:37
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Well heres how it goes for me Sabbath started it,Priest took it further,and Maiden perfected it.
12.06.2006 - 11:17
Lupas
Maximus
Written by [user id=823] on 12.06.2006 at 07:37

Well heres how it goes for me Sabbath started it,Priest took it further,and Maiden perfected it.

I guess that you have summerized all histroy
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
12.06.2006 - 12:10
decapitator
Black Sabbath invented metal...but the first band to come up with the growls and screams was Venom. But yes, Black Sabbath
12.06.2006 - 18:37
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by decapitator on 12.06.2006 at 12:10

but the first band to come up with the growls and screams was Venom.

I believe that was Possessed?
14.06.2006 - 05:22
Bitch Boy
It was an evolution from hard-rock bands in the mid-late 60s. Venom_BM gave a very complete explanation of that. I don't think we can say that Black Sabbath invented metal, because first we should take a look at Sabbath's influences. The same with all the bands mentioned too (Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, etc.). What it's true is that Judas Priest was the first band that had nothing to do with these blues influences that Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin had, and then the metal scene was consolidated with the NWOBHM. So, we can't ask neither who invented it nor when it started. It was a big process.
15.06.2006 - 22:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=8232] on 12.06.2006 at 18:37

Depends.. Venom was more the Black sort of voice, though quite Thrashy.. Possessed was a more deeper growl, I believe..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 22:32
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 22:26

Depends.. Venom was more the Black sort of voice, though quite Thrashy.. Possessed was a more deeper growl, I believe..

True, but I don't see Venom as the first to use "growling" because as you said, it was more of a Thrashy sounding raspy-ish if anything voice, where Possessed got down to business and growled away
15.06.2006 - 22:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=8232] on 15.06.2006 at 22:32

Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 22:26

True, but I don't see Venom as the first to use "growling" because as you said, it was more of a Thrashy sounding raspy-ish if anything voice, where Possessed got down to business and growled away

A matter of interpretation then. You're right.
----

16.06.2006 - 12:33
Nightwish15
Account deleted
I should say Iron Maiden and Ozzy..Or was Iron Maiden later.. I dont even know (shame- shame)..
But I think they have invented metal.
16.06.2006 - 13:01
journey_man
Account deleted
In that time first bands that were playing something special (todays metal) were Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath! They were playing music wich grew into metal!!!
17.06.2006 - 13:53
kakalokola
can we consider judas priest and black sabbath ?
am not sure ? am asking ?
17.06.2006 - 14:51
X-FrEaK
that is so relative...we can also say that Queen were the ones that started something that would transform into metal(it is not that stupid)
----
19.06.2006 - 17:46
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Richard Wagner
invented the metal genre, without him this world could be poblated by happypunks, and if tou are not with me ask to joey DiMaio
20.06.2006 - 08:45
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Black Sabbath are the first metal band!
20.06.2006 - 11:54
Nima
Account deleted
I'd have to go with black sabbath
21.06.2006 - 13:28
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Id have to go with Elvis
21.06.2006 - 15:16
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I, like many others, would have to go with Black Sabbath
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.06.2006 - 14:24
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Dark Cornatus on 21.06.2006 at 13:28

Id have to go with Elvis

Elvis............................
That was good one. Infact they used to call him King of rock ' n roll
----
22.06.2006 - 15:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Id have to go with Elvis

Why don't we go back further and go to a bit more bluesy? I mean, of course Elvis has had a big influence at Rock, so indirectly to Metal as well, but should we then go back to the first African tribe that started scaring animals away with sticks and stones?
----

23.06.2006 - 07:57
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd Started Metal..
----
Stay Metal !!!
27.06.2006 - 04:22
Written by Lucas on 22.06.2006 at 15:48

Id have to go with Elvis

Why don't we go back further and go to a bit more bluesy? I mean, of course Elvis has had a big influence at Rock, so indirectly to Metal as well, but should we then go back to the first African tribe that started scaring animals away with sticks and stones?

I disagree. About Elvis as well. This topic is looking for the band to first play metal. Not any random precursor to metal. The first truly metal album that I can think of would be Priest's.
----
Just plug your ears whenever she got around to Palestine and pretend you were slipping the rod to Mussolini.
- Alec