Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
13.12.2013 - 23:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What is oriental folk? i know folk metal, neo folk, folk music
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.12.2013 - 23:24
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2013 at 23:06

It's music from the Orient. I was mistaken to think that it only referred to the Far East. However, in this case there are some bands that should be changed from folk to Oriental folk including Orphaned Land and Melechesh.

Also Myrath and Aeternam have significant Oriental (folk) influences.
13.12.2013 - 23:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I see, thanks
----

apos;'
[image]
13.12.2013 - 23:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2013 at 23:06

Oriental folk is technically a blanket term for a variety of Asian folk music. Folk itself is kind of a blanket term for music composed using instruments traditionally associated with the culture of a specific region (bagpipes, shamisen, zurna). Rather than applying the Oriental tag, you should be considering what type of Asian folk it is: East Asian, South Asian, Southeast Asian, Vietnamese...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2013 - 23:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
That'd get complicated if you're suggesting tags like "East Asian Folk", "South Asian Folk", etc...

Edit: Although, it would be easy to divide Oriental folk into Far Eastern and Middle + South-Eastern folk as they share similar characteristics...that would look stupid though
13.12.2013 - 23:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't think properly crediting a region by giving it a name that doesn't refer to it collectively as "the Orient" is complicated. Lumping some very different cultures together in one big category for sake of convenience comes across as ethnocentric. We could either simplify the process by labeling folk metal as folk metal without the mention of its regional influence, or spend some time doing research when necessary to figure out exactly which type of folk is which.

Referring to it as Oriental folk would be the same as calling the various types of North and South American folk as Occidental folk.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2013 - 23:42
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I agree and wouldn't mind looking into it, however I don't think the staff would approve. I guess it would be ideal to change the myriad folk tags to simply folk then...
14.12.2013 - 00:58
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
It was getting messy so I deleted all my recent posts and put all the bands here:

Arkona - Extreme Folk Metal

Russian Circles - Post-Metal (all years) - Prog Archives

Amorphis - Progressive (Extreme) Folk Metal (2006 - present)

Atheist - Progressive Technical Death Metal (all years) - Prog Archives

The Ocean - Post-Metal (all years) - Prog Archives

Scar Symmetry - Extreme Progressive Metal (all years)

MaYaN - Extreme Progressive Metal + Symphonic Metal (all years)

Wodensthrone - Pagan (or Folk) Black Metal (2005-present) + Progressive Black Metal (2012-present)

Wintersun - Extreme Power Metal (all years) + Progressive Metal (all years) + Folk Metal (all years) - Prog Archives

Evocation - Death Metal (1991-2010) + Gothenburg Metal (2008-present) the latter's influence becoming more prominent after each release...their latest LP was pretty much pure Gothenburg. Their works from 2008-present share similarties to Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, and At The Gates, none of which are simply death metal.

Not featured:
Yakuza - Post-Metal (all years) - Prog Archives

Morar - Folk Black Metal (all years)
14.12.2013 - 02:48
Risto
Wandering Midget
Would it make sense to label Ghost Brigade as Gothic sludge metal? Their sound is basically atmo-sludge meets Katatonia, which makes them sound poppier than their peers and sometimes makes for a "melodeath-ish" impression. I've always thought they're pretty original from this perspective.

P.S. I wouldn't mind the current line-up Amorphis being labelled as folk metal since there's enough elements present.
14.12.2013 - 03:32
Vombatus
Potorro
My opinion, but I think Ghost Brigade are fine as they are, don't hear any Gothic in them. Same for Arkona, the Pagan Folk tag here is given to quite a few bands with a similar sound (Ensiferum are labeled as "extreme folk" - I don't think it fits the style of Arkona and similar). Atheist is only tech death for me and I hear no folk at all in Wintersun (granted I don't remember much considering how shitty both albums are).

Talking about genres, I don't hear any Psychedelic in Sólstafir. Clearly black in the early years (maybe with /atmo?) and since Í Blóði og Anda the Post Metal elements get more and more prominent, to the point that Svartir Sandar has no bm left (maybe Köld too?).
14.12.2013 - 13:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Vombatus on 14.12.2013 at 03:32
Same for Arkona, the Pagan Folk tag here is given to quite a few bands with a similar sound (Ensiferum are labeled as "extreme folk" - I don't think it fits the style of Arkona and similar). Atheist is only tech death for me and I hear no folk at all in Wintersun (granted I don't remember much considering how shitty both albums are).
Yea, you're right about Arkona, somehow I only managed to listen to their most extreme songs and thought it would be an appropriate tag.

I stand by the tags for Wintersun and Atheist. The former sounds very similar to Ensiferum which is largely extreme power/folk metal and the latter is progressive in the same manner of Death and Cynic, if not more so. I'd say Atheist is progressive death thrash metal.
14.12.2013 - 13:38
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 14.12.2013 at 02:48
Would it make sense to label Ghost Brigade as Gothic sludge metal? Their sound is basically atmo-sludge meets Katatonia, which makes them sound poppier than their peers and sometimes makes for a "melodeath-ish" impression. I've always thought they're pretty original from this perspective.
I'd say they're post-metal since that style incorporates all the elements of their sound quite well.
14.12.2013 - 17:33
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Vombatus on 14.12.2013 at 03:32

My opinion, but I think Ghost Brigade are fine as they are, don't hear any Gothic in them.

I guess it's about perception. Tiamat's Wildhoney and Katatonia's Tonight's Decision sound completely different, but both are considered gothic metal. Ghost Brigade bring forward just that Katatonia kind of gothic element.
15.12.2013 - 02:38
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 14.12.2013 at 17:33
I guess it's about perception. Tiamat's Wildhoney and Katatonia's Tonight's Decision sound completely different, but both are considered gothic metal. Ghost Brigade bring forward just that Katatonia kind of gothic element.
Katatonia's other elements tend to overpower the gothic imo.
17.12.2013 - 03:09
A Dark Halo
Style: Industrial metal(all years)+Groove thrash metal(all years)+Alternative metal(all years)
Chimaira
Style:Nu metal (1998-2001)+Industrial metal (2001)
Mordred
Style: Thrash metal (all years)+Funk metal(all years)
17.12.2013 - 12:54
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by LeKiwi on 13.12.2013 at 19:33

Written by andreosokin on 12.12.2013 at 08:12

I would add Post-Metal to Kauan, since 2013. Their new album is influenced by "post" greatly

Oriental Folk Doom + Post-Metal I think...

Edit: Post-Metal encompasses so many genres that it would be sufficient to call them that...

Right
19.12.2013 - 15:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Aquilus - add "progressive" tag somewhere from 2011-present.
19.12.2013 - 20:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Sunpocrisy - Progressive Post-Metal (2012-present) - Prog Archives.
19.12.2013 - 22:25
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeKiwi on 19.12.2013 at 20:59

Sunpocrisy - Progressive Post-Metal (2012-present) - Prog Archives.

Style-wise they're a pretty typical example of a post-metal band in the end, albeit more progressive. Look up the genre on this site and you'll find post-metal as a standalone tag, with sludge metal accompanying in many cases. 'Post' refers to creating musical textures instead of riffs (wall of sound), not that much the song structure itself (bar crescendo-building).

Progressive sludge metal + Post-metal (The Ocean's Pelagial is exactly the same actually)
19.12.2013 - 23:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 19.12.2013 at 22:25

Style-wise they're a pretty typical example of a post-metal band in the end, albeit more progressive. Look up the genre on this site and you'll find post-metal as a standalone tag, with sludge metal accompanying in many cases. 'Post' refers to creating musical textures instead of riffs (wall of sound), not that much the song structure itself (bar crescendo-building).

Progressive sludge metal + Post-metal (The Ocean's Pelagial is exactly the same actually)

Post-metal already incorporates sludge - have a look at this. I agree that The Ocean is similar, but, likewise, the sludge tag is redundant.
19.12.2013 - 23:43
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeKiwi on 19.12.2013 at 23:05

Post-metal already incorporates sludge - have a look at this. I agree that The Ocean is similar, but, likewise, the sludge tag is redundant.

I'm aware of that, I'd say I "metalstormised" the styles to avoid confusion Though this kind of omission gets me thinking about bands like Sólstafir, who are sometimes called the Sigur Rós of metal. Sludge is nowhere to be heard, and only faint traces of their black metal past here and there like the odd blast beat.

20.12.2013 - 00:10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 19.12.2013 at 23:43

I'm aware of that, I'd say I "metalstormised" the styles to avoid confusion Though this kind of omission gets me thinking about bands like Sólstafir, who are sometimes called the Sigur Rós of metal. Sludge is nowhere to be heard, and only faint traces of their black metal past here and there like the odd blast beat.

Fair enough As for Solstafir, that's because they aren't post-metal and more progressive black metal + atmospheric viking/folk black metal I suppose you could call them post-black metal, which eschews sludge elements...
20.12.2013 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We need Marcel to stop this discusion, IMO this is where we report mistaces not discuss genres
----

apos;'
[image]
20.12.2013 - 00:37
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeKiwi on 20.12.2013 at 00:10

As for Solstafir, that's because they aren't post-metal and more progressive black metal + atmospheric viking/folk black metal I suppose you could call them post-black metal, which eschews sludge elements...

And yet, Prog Archives...

I can totally see where that site is coming from... the song above is not too far removed from that Ghost Brigade instrumental on Isolation Songs with this drawn out crescendo thing going on. It's a post-rock trademark.

But yeah, I'm done with this. Otherwise it'll be another epic LeKiwi marathon.
20.12.2013 - 00:37
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 20.12.2013 at 00:36

We need Marcel to stop this discusion, IMO this is where we report mistaces not discuss genres

But they are mistakes; the genres are wrong We've taken the discussion privately anyway....
21.12.2013 - 16:36
Risto
Wandering Midget
Amorphis: Add Progressive folk metal for years 1996-1997
22.12.2013 - 00:48
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 21.12.2013 at 16:36

Amorphis: Add Progressive folk metal for years 1996-1997

Well said.
22.12.2013 - 13:20
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Something's wrong with Goatwhore and Samael's genres...Passage is not simply black metal and Blood For The Master has clear thrash influences...
29.12.2013 - 14:56
Neroese
Account deleted
So - Skinny Puppy should be:

1982 - 1995 - Electro-Industrial
1982 - 1995 - Experimental
2000 - Electro-Industrial
2000 - Experimental
2000 - IDM
2000 - Industrial Rock

Why like this? Whole SP music is very experimental, with some electro-industrial oriented style. Since reunion from 2000 they add also some IDM and indu rock music.
29.12.2013 - 15:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Shouldn't there be some "Doom metal" somewhere in SubRosa?
Especially on the last album?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei