Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
19.02.2014 - 22:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 19.02.2014 at 21:42
Ancient Ascendant - I'm not even going to bother recommending a genre.

Sounds a lot like melodic death metal with some black and thrash elements. Their Bandcamp tags and a lot of reviewers seem to support that, although I'm not sure how best to tag their profile.

It could be any combination of the following:

Death metal, melodic death metal, black/death metal
Black metal, melodic black metal
Thrash metal, black/thrash metal
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.02.2014 - 22:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.02.2014 at 22:03
Sounds a lot like melodic death metal with some black and thrash elements. Their Bandcamp tags and a lot of reviewers seem to support that, although I'm not sure how best to tag their profile.

It could be any combination of the following:

Death metal, melodic death metal, black/death metal
Black metal, melodic black metal
Thrash metal, black/thrash metal

I've heard some reviewers out there who support the prog claim, especially considering that Opeth, Enslaved, and De Profundis come to mind when listening to them, namely the ultimate band. So honestly extreme prog, would do it for me.

Edit: and I totally agree about the melodeath influences..but that's under extreme right?
19.02.2014 - 22:41
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
In this interview the band's drummer cites Opeth as one of his main influences...just saying...
19.02.2014 - 22:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
There is no way I'm changing their style to extreme prog. You'll have to bark up somebody else's tree.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.02.2014 - 22:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I truly hope you never rack up enough points to be able to modify the genres here, LeKiwi. The damage would be nigh-on irreparable.
19.02.2014 - 23:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Fine, melodic black metal + melodic death metal + thrash metal. At least for their latest EP, no idea about the rest...
20.02.2014 - 15:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Actually, melodic death metal + blackened thrash metal + blackened death metal...or would it be easier to just do melodic death metal + black metal + thrash metal...
20.02.2014 - 18:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by [user id=28338] on 20.02.2014 at 16:16
Also Borknagar needs 1997- Progressive folk metal along with the one that already has.

Only heard Urd, but I second this.
22.02.2014 - 05:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Can someone activate Omb and Vangough?
22.02.2014 - 17:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 22.02.2014 at 05:49

Can someone activate Omb and Vangough?

send a req, maybe after one year it will be done
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.02.2014 - 18:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 22.02.2014 at 17:07

Actually as per MS policy, we generally like to wait to activate bands for two years now instead of the usual one.
----
22.02.2014 - 18:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.02.2014 at 18:23

Written by Bad English on 22.02.2014 at 17:07

Actually as per MS policy, we generally like to wait to activate bands for two years now instead of the usual one.

it was realative , like I havnt seen guy like million years, sometimes we say so
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2014 - 21:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Intronaut. Genre wrong. Mastodon. Just saying.
27.02.2014 - 03:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
How the hell is this heavy metal?

27.02.2014 - 04:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Fusion needs to be added to Alarum.
27.02.2014 - 11:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 27.02.2014 at 03:18
How the hell is this heavy metal?

You might wanna keep in mind that since I'm (currently) the only person really giving this thread any attention, you might consider asking for things a little more politely. Not all of the "mistakes" you report are as obvious as you seem to think, and not all of them are even worth mentioning.

I'll be on a little vacation after tomorrow until Monday but I'll see what I can do about some of the changes suggested over the course of the past two pages. I've been meaning to do that for a few days now but had to pick up extra shifts at work (meaning I'm typing from my phone at the moment) and navigating a bunch of other sites is too much of a hassle.
----
27.02.2014 - 15:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.02.2014 at 11:33
You might wanna keep in mind that since I'm (currently) the only person really giving this thread any attention, you might consider asking for things a little more politely. Not all of the "mistakes" you report are as obvious as you seem to think, and not all of them are even worth mentioning.

I'll be on a little vacation after tomorrow until Monday but I'll see what I can do about some of the changes suggested over the course of the past two pages. I've been meaning to do that for a few days now but had to pick up extra shifts at work (meaning I'm typing from my phone at the moment) and navigating a bunch of other sites is too much of a hassle.

I understand, I'll think about that next time I write something over here; I was just writing as if I was addressing the general user base. I'll also take into account your point about the way I approach these "mistakes". In any case, my intentions are good when I post anything here so I hope you haven't taken any offence.
27.02.2014 - 16:51
Risto
Wandering Midget
Yeah, Stam1na are alternative thrash metal.
27.02.2014 - 16:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 27.02.2014 at 15:33
In any case, my intentions are good when I post anything here so I hope you haven't taken any offence.

None taken, and I know your intentions are good, this is likely just a difference in communication styles and I tend to read what you say in a snarky tone.
----
28.02.2014 - 04:10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I think that Being are progressive metal. There's some djent in there but it's not the prevalent element. I guess you could compare them to Periphery minus some djent.
28.02.2014 - 12:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Could Jucifer get the alt. rock and alt. metal genres removed from 2010 onwards, as the last 2 albums don't have any (save the closing song of Throned In Blood)?
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=4686&bandname=Jucifer
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.02.2014 - 20:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I have no idea what in the world !T.O.O.H.!'s latest is, but I don't think it's technical death metal + progressive grindcore. I would suggest something, but...I just...no idea...
28.02.2014 - 21:00
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Perhaps breakcore fits?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.03.2014 - 20:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 28.02.2014 at 12:56
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=4686&bandname=Jucifer

Fixed, and added noise from 2010 onward.
----
06.03.2014 - 01:54
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I think that Loch Vostok is progressive melodic death metal, not extreme progressive metal.
06.03.2014 - 15:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
From what I can hear, Dark Suns' debut, Swanlike is progressive death doom metal, as opposed to progressive death.

06.03.2014 - 17:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 06.03.2014 at 15:53

From what I can hear, Dark Suns' debut, Swanlike is progressive death doom metal, as opposed to progressive death.

I don't hear any progressive death doom in there but also not progrssive death. It's got nothing to do with doom or death. More like gothic sort of stuff going on.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2014 - 17:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Agreed with Marcel - nothing progressive about that, and definitely not much by way of any combination of death or doom. Gothic definitely fits that track, and assuming the rest of their sound follows suit, their style should simply be gothic metal.
----
06.03.2014 - 17:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.03.2014 at 17:09

I don't hear any progressive death doom in there but also not progrssive death. It's got nothing to do with doom or death. More like gothic sort of stuff going on.

Well I know absolutely zip about gothic, but this sounds pretty doomy. I think the track I linked wasn't a good example. Wait for it at 0:34.

06.03.2014 - 17:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.03.2014 at 17:45
Well I know absolutely zip about gothic, but this sounds pretty doomy. I think the track I linked wasn't a good example. Wait for it at 0:34.

You should have led with this if you were looking to make a change.

Based on that, I'd probably go with gothic doom, but not progressive and not death doom.
----