Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
24.07.2009 - 01:35
routa
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 24.07.2009 at 01:29

Hilarious topic, Metalheads are in fact a lot dumber then the average person. Metalheads in general are: dumb, annoying, not funny, close minded and really lack proper hygiene. Comparing them to Bill & Ted is an insult for Bill & Ted because Bill & Ted are at least funny, laid back and smarter.

Does anybody else also notice that a lot of the retarded metalheads have their long hair in a gay Steven Seagal ponytail? not because it sits better or for job related reasons but more to hide the fact that there hair is all greasy and knotted.

Care to generalize more?

What's gay Steven Seagal ponytail like?
24.07.2009 - 01:54
VPeter
Written by [user id=8724] on 24.07.2009 at 01:35

Written by VPeter on 24.07.2009 at 01:29

Hilarious topic, Metalheads are in fact a lot dumber then the average person. Metalheads in general are: dumb, annoying, not funny, close minded and really lack proper hygiene. Comparing them to Bill & Ted is an insult for Bill & Ted because Bill & Ted are at least funny, laid back and smarter.

Does anybody else also notice that a lot of the retarded metalheads have their long hair in a gay Steven Seagal ponytail? not because it sits better or for job related reasons but more to hide the fact that there hair is all greasy and knotted.

Care to generalize more?

What's gay Steven Seagal ponytail like?

Okay that post was extreme but as a whole it is mostly true.

Well... have you ever watched a Steven Seagal movie?
24.07.2009 - 17:10
IronAngel
I reckon it's better you just say your post was thoroughly sarcastic. Or you could produce some statistics.
24.07.2009 - 23:12
Torelli
Written by IronAngel on 23.07.2009 at 15:48

The open-mindedness viewpoint doesn't seem convincing, when it comes to metal. I find metalheads generally quite close-minded and focused on their own little world.

Then the question is; can someone be intelligent and get be close-minded?
31.07.2009 - 01:12
Houndolon
From my personal and humble expirience, i agree with the assumption that those who listen to mostly metal music are usually more open minded and maybe calmer/less agressive than an average person and if are not more intelligent, they seem so, at least to me. i still remember when in elementary school i was maybe the only one in the whole generation who listened to metal music (thats approximately 1 out of 120), and yet i was the best stundent in the class

what makes metal listeners the way i see them are in my opinion the lyrics and their thematics. in general, my observance is that the lyrics of metal music are more diverse, deep, thought-provoking and open minded, to the opposite of lets say pop, or other non metal music (i actually listened to a bit of rap before i fully transfered to metal, but i only listened to one artist and that is mike shinoda from linkin park. just listen to the lyrics of some fort minor songs from the rising tied and youll get what i mean).

just my 2 cents ^^
----
You are pretty stupid if you don't know how to get yourself banned.
31.07.2009 - 05:58
Conservationist

The open-mindedness viewpoint doesn't seem convincing, when it comes to metal. I find metalheads generally quite close-minded and focused on their own little world.

I find all people this way. The ones who profess to be "open-minded," the most.
31.07.2009 - 10:03
wormdrink414
Elite
Of course we metal fans are more intelligent than commoners. Prithee answer me this, is't not the case that with the development of taste cometh a lesser variety among which to choose the source of our musical nourishment, therefore placing us on the very cliff from upon which we may cast a critical eye on the lesser peoples and their beshitten taste in music? We are gods (excluding deathcore, nu metal, and glam metal fans). Let us never forget this simple truth as we troll and flame for the good of mankind! With whom our relationship is flawed but nevertheless founded in a deep care for its general ears, mankind shall suffer the tortures of bad music no more! I call on all of ye to pillage all deathcore dedicated forums, video websites, and social networks! We shan't lose! Into battle!

Anyone with me? My revolutionary spirit is not a contrived state of consciousness, but rather the source of a beautiful clarity. I know my Oden given purpose now. I must torture all deathcore/nu metal fans through various non-personal web based mediums. Blessed is he who devotes himself to a calling he deems true, and we all know for certain that deathcore and nu metal are worthy of our hatred.

Huzzah
31.07.2009 - 10:09
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by wormdrink414 on 31.07.2009 at 10:03

Of course we metal fans are more intelligent than commoners. Prithee answer me this, is't not the case that with the development of taste cometh a lesser variety among which to choose the source of our musical nourishment, therefore placing us on the very cliff from upon which we may cast a critical eye on the lesser peoples and their beshitten taste in music? We are gods (excluding deathcore, nu metal, and glam metal fans). Let us never forget this simple truth as we troll and flame for the good of mankind! With whom our relationship is flawed but nevertheless founded in a deep care for its general ears, mankind shall suffer the tortures of bad music no more! I call on all of ye to pillage all deathcore dedicated forums, video websites, and social networks! We shan't lose! Into battle!

Anyone with me? My revolutionary spirit is not a contrived state of consciousness, but rather the source of a beautiful clarity. I know my Oden given purpose now. I must torture all deathcore/nu metal fans through various non-personal web based mediums. Blessed is he who devotes himself to a calling he deems true, and we all know for certain that deathcore and nu metal are worthy of our hatred.

Cool, I want to know the vastness of your wide musical tastes and why glam, nu and deathcore fans (genres I hate too, btw) should be considered like a sub-race.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.08.2009 - 02:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 20.07.2009 at 08:41

I think metal fans think they are more intelligent.

Except for me. I don't think, I know I'm more intelligent , and it's all thanks to metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.08.2009 - 09:42
TheBigRossowski
I've noticed a bit of both in metal. You do have a lot of stupid people, but there are a fair amount of intelligent ones as well. I believe open-mindedness plays more of a role than intelligence, whereas that could be a coincidence.

Also notice when you see a doctumentary or go to College, a fair amount of scientists and professors have either long hair or beards. Well, at least in comparison to your normal Telephone Operator or other...lower...no offense, man, professions.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
05.08.2009 - 22:11
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2009 at 18:00

they were a bit open-minded when they started to check out metal but then they got closed-minded i know i was something like that but now i rebounded and i like lots of stuff outside the genre..

Well, it was WAY different for me. Metal music helped broaden my horizons. The metal genre seems to take so much from other kinds of music (jazz, "classic" rock, prog rock, electronica, punk, post-punk, rap, funk, etc.), so it's only natural to develop an open mind... Unless one only listen to one kind of metal... Then that person is probably an ignorant twat. >:[
06.08.2009 - 14:14
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I think I'm dumber than normal ppl
but I like good music
----
loves 小巫
07.08.2009 - 11:48
Vaterflaumig
As a person who relates to the TS as far as school experience with grades go, I do see what you are saying.
I am also someone who believes that every little detail of your life has influence throughout everything that you do and the way that you think.
That being said, I believe that the complexity of metal music and all of the details that go into the music are a contributing part to strengthening the abilities of the mind if you take the time to really dive in and look at all of the little pieces of the music as well as actually look at the lyrics and meaning to a song.
I don't really believe that applies to the "I WANT TO EAT YOUR FETUS AND THEN PEE ON YOUR FACE" kind of lyrics that apply to a lot of metal songs these days.
But ya, there is a lot of heart and thought in metal and so it kind of spills forth to the listener who soaks it in.
07.08.2009 - 22:04
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Vaterflaumig on 07.08.2009 at 11:48
I don't really believe that applies to the "I WANT TO EAT YOUR FETUS AND THEN PEE ON YOUR FACE" kind of lyrics that apply to a lot of metal songs these days.

That sort of lyrical theme has its charms though. One must approach gross-out lyrics with a sense of humor. it is the character that the lyricist(s) develop, that would be open with their desires to eat fetuses and piss on faces, that is funny. Brutality, the essence of most of the metal I enjoy, can be intimate with Melpomene and Thalia as it can be brutal for brutality's sake. That being stated, I really do admire the logic behind the band that makes no blatant attempts to convey any philosophical or political messages. Some of the most absurd sounding lyrics can be the most enjoyable, if not the most moving. Granted, eating fetuses might be too absurd for one to project a "moving" meaning into it. That sort of lyric is of the comically brutal sort to which I have grown fond however.
08.08.2009 - 01:15
MANIMAL
I would say that yes, in general people who listen to GOOD metal are more intelligent than the average person. This has been my experience as well when talking to metalheads as opposed to someone who listens to rap or mainstream or something. Obviously there are exceptions so if you're going to call me ignorant, save it... I believe this is largely due to the extreme complexity of metal which far exceeds that of any other form of modern music. A person must have a more developed mind in order to truly appreciate this. For example, the reason why I don't listen to mainstream is because it is extremely simple and uninteresting musically and the lyrics only talk about sex/drugs/gangs/another love song etc... It simply does not spark my interest in the least...
08.08.2009 - 01:34
Stuart
MiseryKing
I would say that the average metal fan is about as intelligent as the average person...
08.08.2009 - 02:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Stuart on 08.08.2009 at 01:34

I would say that the average metal fan is about as intelligent as the average person...

nail, meet hammer head.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.08.2009 - 11:13
Vaterflaumig
Written by wormdrink414 on 07.08.2009 at 22:04

That sort of lyrical theme has its charms though. One must approach gross-out lyrics with a sense of humor. it is the character that the lyricist(s) develop, that would be open with their desires to eat fetuses and piss on faces, that is funny. Brutality, the essence of most of the metal I enjoy, can be intimate with Melpomene and Thalia as it can be brutal for brutality's sake. That being stated, I really do admire the logic behind the band that makes no blatant attempts to convey any philosophical or political messages. Some of the most absurd sounding lyrics can be the most enjoyable, if not the most moving. Granted, eating fetuses might be too absurd for one to project a "moving" meaning into it. That sort of lyric is of the comically brutal sort to which I have grown fond however.

I suppose that is true as well.
Maybe I just need to be more open minded and not see it as neanderthals trying to kill off their own tribe.
But man, it just seems so unnecessary, kind of like.........personal hygiene.
08.08.2009 - 20:19
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by MANIMAL on 08.08.2009 at 01:15

I would say that yes, in general people who listen to GOOD metal are more intelligent than the average person. This has been my experience as well when talking to metalheads as opposed to someone who listens to rap or mainstream or something. Obviously there are exceptions so if you're going to call me ignorant, save it... I believe this is largely due to the extreme complexity of metal which far exceeds that of any other form of modern music. A person must have a more developed mind in order to truly appreciate this. For example, the reason why I don't listen to mainstream is because it is extremely simple and uninteresting musically and the lyrics only talk about sex/drugs/gangs/another love song etc... It simply does not spark my interest in the least...

The idea that something that is complex is inherently superior to something structurally simple is fallacious. Anyone can listen to something that appears to be complex (has superficial slow/fast and hard/soft contrasts etc) and say something like "yeah this is some really deep shit", whereas it takes a less common mindset to see the value in simplicity done right. That's why people think that something like Deathspell Omega's Kénôse is more profound and intelligent than Ildjarn, or something like the last two Enslaved albums is more profound and intelligent than Hellhammer. Same thing with interesting, people see superficial surface elements and think "yeah...they combine soft and hard...pretty interesting stuff". In the last year I've come to the conclusion that, when it comes to music, the word interesting is pretty much interchangeable with the words without balls and not good enough.

I do not think that stuff like mainstream pop is popular just because it's simple, it's popular because it's dumb, catchy and inoffensive.
08.08.2009 - 20:39
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Vaterflaumig on 08.08.2009 at 11:13

Written by wormdrink414 on 07.08.2009 at 22:04

I suppose that is true as well.
Maybe I just need to be more open minded and not see it as neanderthals trying to kill off their own tribe.
But man, it just seems so unnecessary, kind of like.........personal hygiene.

I understand fully.
08.08.2009 - 20:56
Smurfophagist
There actually are statistical evidence which confirm that metalheads are more intelligent than other people.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
09.08.2009 - 13:57
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Smurfophagist on 08.08.2009 at 20:56

There actually are statistical evidence which confirm that metalheads are more intelligent than other people.
can you please present the evidence? Interested to look at the data
----
loves 小巫
10.08.2009 - 02:25
Smurfophagist
Written by Ag Fox on 09.08.2009 at 13:57

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546193/Heavy-metal-a-comfort-for-the-bright-child.html

There was a similar studies done in Croatia, but there's no use in posting info in Croatian here....
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
10.08.2009 - 02:41
routa
Account deleted
Written by Smurfophagist on 10.08.2009 at 02:25

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546193/Heavy-metal-a-comfort-for-the-bright-child.html

There was a similar studies done in Croatia, but there's no use in posting info in Croatian here....

"Asked for their favourite type of music, 39 per cent said rock, 18 per cent R&B and 14 per cent pop. Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres."

:
10.08.2009 - 07:50
Vaterflaumig
Written by [user id=23267] on 08.08.2009 at 20:19

Written by MANIMAL on 08.08.2009 at 01:15

The idea that something that is complex is inherently superior to something structurally simple is fallacious. Anyone can listen to something that appears to be complex (has superficial slow/fast and hard/soft contrasts etc) and say something like "yeah this is some really deep shit", whereas it takes a less common mindset to see the value in simplicity done right. That's why people think that something like Deathspell Omega's Kénôse is more profound and intelligent than Ildjarn, or something like the last two Enslaved albums is more profound and intelligent than Hellhammer. Same thing with interesting, people see superficial surface elements and think "yeah...they combine soft and hard...pretty interesting stuff". In the last year I've come to the conclusion that, when it comes to music, the word interesting is pretty much interchangeable with the words without balls and not good enough.

I do not think that stuff like mainstream pop is popular just because it's simple, it's popular because it's dumb, catchy and inoffensive.

I do have to agree with some of what you have said.
Simplicity when done right is more often then not, more thought out, and much better...but of course that is if it is done right. For example, the average death metal band. Where they are just wailing away and picking as fast as they can all the while throwing in sweeps and arpeggios and all kinds of goodies. Most of the time it seems all of that is just thrown together without really giving much thought to it. Where as if you compare them to say...Coheed and Cambria (I don't know how many people are fans of them here but whatever). Claudio and Travis come up with some really catchy and simple stuff that is actually way more thought out than said death metal band does. Much of their guitar work goes together incredibly well, sounds amazing, and still manages to stay simple.
10.08.2009 - 15:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Smurfophagist on 10.08.2009 at 02:25

forgive me if I sound a bit too gritty here, but I do consider myself a quarter of a stats academic. First and foremost, the article only indicates that clever ppl listen to metal, but it doesn't say anything about dumb ppl listening or not listening. To make it clearer, clever ppl listen to metal does not mean less clever ppl don't as the statistics presented showed nothing of this side of the data.

Secondly, of the 1,000 (approx) youngsters they studied, only a third rate it among their top 5 genres (only 6% has metal as their fav genre). So that means two thirds of them don't really listen to metal.

Therefore your statement "metalheads are more intelligent than other people" is wrong, which is not entirely your fault because most news articles are intended to make you think some other way by word twisting / hv big headlines
----
loves 小巫
10.08.2009 - 16:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
No, I don't think metalheads are more intelligent than others. But I think that we like to think so.
----
10.08.2009 - 22:12
Vaterflaumig
Written by Warman on 10.08.2009 at 16:03

No, I don't think metalheads are more intelligent than others. But I think that we like to think so.

Well said sir.
20.08.2009 - 14:39
Razorback
I think it's individual,but metal heaads are more open,even more interested in some stuffs,so sometimes it gives a privilege,but i really met all kind of people,very impresive guys till this imature idiots,so i can't watch that in general,still i know smart people who don't listening metal,i think it's about personality,education,and some individual behaviour and habits,it's more then music here.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
29.08.2009 - 17:31
Panterica
Written by Vaterflaumig on 10.08.2009 at 22:12

Written by Warman on 10.08.2009 at 16:03

Well said sir.

Definitely
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/