Metal Storm logo
Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 08.10.2007 - 09:40
Continuation of the (at times) great thread by Damnated.

Last thing mentioned was the LLN *sigh, again*, and SVEST.
02.12.2011 - 13:56
Savopipo
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2011 at 12:46

Written by Savopipo on 29.11.2011 at 10:02

I actually listened to one of the songs again with headphones and it's a little better that way. I now hear that there are some musical passages underneath the noise that I didn't catch when I listened to it in the car. Maybe I was a little bit too judgemental about the band. I will give them a second chance with headphones.

I don't know which album you've heard but I recommend you to listen to their latest album from 2010, Der Freiwillige Bettler.
This is the first song, which I think is pretty awesome. I don't expect you to like them or anything, just putting some of their more accessible work here.
Oh... and listen to it on your room with headphones... not in your car.

Thanks for the tip. The band vi discussed are "S.V.E.S.T" and the album in question is "Urfaust". The band "Urfaust" I've never listened to but it sounds a lot more like the stuff I normally listen to even though I'm starting to come to terms with "S.V.E.S.T" now.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
02.12.2011 - 14:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Savopipo on 02.12.2011 at 13:56
The band "Urfaust" I've never listened

Lols I got totally mindfucked there. Gotta read more carefully the discussions next time

Written by [user id=4365] on 02.12.2011 at 13:45

I recommend staying as far away from Urfaust as humanly possible ^_^

Hey Joe... Shut the fuck up. No one is talking to you.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2011 - 14:55
Savopipo
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2011 at 14:20

Written by Savopipo on 02.12.2011 at 13:56
The band "Urfaust" I've never listened

Lols I got totally mindfucked there. Gotta read more carefully the discussions next time

No worries and again thanks for the tip. what I heard from Urfaust didn't sound too bad.
----
02.12.2011 - 14:56
Savopipo

So what is your recommendation?
----
02.12.2011 - 14:57
Slayer666

He's right, though.
At least as far as the debut is concerned. The rest is tolerable, bordering on decent even.
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Savopipo on 02.12.2011 at 14:56

Stick with S.V.E.S.T.
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Really? Because it sounds like you just spoke to me ;]
02.12.2011 - 15:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.12.2011 at 14:57

Really? Because it sounds like you just spoke to me ;]

OH SHI-
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2011 - 01:16
Savopipo
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.12.2011 at 14:57

Written by Savopipo on 02.12.2011 at 14:56

Stick with S.V.E.S.T.

S.V.E.S.T it is then ... and A.B.B.A;)
----
04.12.2011 - 01:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Savopipo on 04.12.2011 at 01:16

S.V.E.S.T it is then ... and A.B.B.A;)

Don't forget !T.O.O.H.!
04.12.2011 - 01:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.12.2011 at 01:21
Don't forget !T.O.O.H.!

And W.A.I.L.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 01:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:22

And W.A.I.L.

Bit of a forgotten gem them (considering the small amount limelight they got in your review).

I'll just throw (V.E.G.A.) in there for some more offtopicness. Well actually not really, they're black metal (mostly) and pretty awesome.
04.12.2011 - 01:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.12.2011 at 01:25
Bit of a forgotten gem them (considering the small amount limelight they got in your review).

They have some black metal-ish influence too though, so not entirely off topic.

Purely on topic: Has anyone heard of this band called Burzum?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 01:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:26

Why would you want to Burz 'em? What did they ever do to you?
04.12.2011 - 01:28
Savopipo
Stop fuzzing about and read my new thread ba**ards!
----
04.12.2011 - 01:30
Savopipo
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:26

Written by [user id=4365] on 04.12.2011 at 01:25

They have some black metal-ish influence too though, so not entirely off topic.

Isn't it more of a project?? I guess there's a spin off called 21 to life.
----
05.12.2011 - 15:01
Savopipo
For the sake of closure. I just listened to a couple of song by Urfaust (the band) and it was ok but I got a bit annoyed with the "vocals" after a while.
----
05.12.2011 - 16:27
The Turbanator
Written by Savopipo on 05.12.2011 at 15:01

For the sake of closure. I just listened to a couple of song by Urfaust (the band) and it was ok but I got a bit annoyed with the "vocals" after a while.

Urfaust is alright. Their new album is very easy to digest, something which 90% of fans would want to listen. Have you heard their older work though? "Geist ist Teufel" is excellent. Very thin bass though (sounds like they don't use bass at all for this album)... but "Einsiedler" EP is my favorite of theirs. Total opposite of "Geist ist Teufel". Try "Einsiedler" and see.

Vocals is haunting! Here : http://youtu.be/HRwD2SQxEVI
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.12.2011 - 19:15
Savopipo
Written by The Turbanator on 05.12.2011 at 16:27

Written by Savopipo on 05.12.2011 at 15:01

Urfaust is alright. Their new album is very easy to digest, something which 90% of fans would want to listen. Have you heard their older work though? "Geist ist Teufel" is excellent. Very thin bass though (sounds like they don't use bass at all for this album)... but "Einsiedler" EP is my favorite of theirs. Total opposite of "Geist ist Teufel". Try "Einsiedler" and see.

Vocals is haunting! Here : http://youtu.be/HRwD2SQxEVI

Will check it out. Right now I don't have 12 minutes to spare.
----
12.02.2012 - 01:53
IronAngel
I'll use this topic to ask for some recommendations.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to black metal. I've been listening to a few bands for years, but I never really got balls deep into the genre. I'm looking to fix that, so I would appreciate if you could point me out to some essential albums worth getting to know better. Here's some of the favorites I already know, to give an idea of the type of stuff I like:

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Ulver - Bergtatt
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini (and their entire discography, really)
Drudkh - The Blood In Our Wells
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Negura Bunget - OM
Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
ColdWorld - Melancholie²
Fen - Epoch
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
Darkspace - III
Taake - Nattestid...

I know the 2nd wave classics too, of course. But what am I missing? If you had to give me 10 black metal records to listen to and really get to know, what would they be?
12.02.2012 - 03:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 12.02.2012 at 01:53
If you had to give me 10 black metal records to listen to and really get to know, what would they be?

Here's a list, some of it is from this year. I'm going to add one youtube link for each album because I'm a cool guy.

Aaskereia - Dort, Wo Das Alte Böse Ruht (Pagan black done right, nice acoustic touches)
Anti - The Insignificance of Life (Depressive BM with fuzzy production that reminds me of Darkspace, nice riffs).
Deathspell Omega - Kenose Quite dissonant and testosterone-filled BM, tight and varied drumming and overall crazy atmosphere)
A Forest Of Stars - The Corpse Of Rebirth (BM for the gentlemen, this stuff is filled with victorian atmosphere, nice instruments like piano, violin and even some nice flute)
Infestus - E x | I s t (Impressive one-man band, the kind of stuff I can't believe it's just one dude... amazing atmospheric BM that doesn't realy on keys and stuff, just nice old riffing.)
Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations One of the odd ones in this bunch if you ask me, I can't quite point out why I feel they are special, there's some really "mad" and "ocultist" vibe going on here. Interesting melodies too.

I was going to add some more but some of them felt way off the ones you posted (well... some of these ones are already a bit off but hey, it's cool to discover new stuff) and some other shit you might know already like Deathspell Omega but I put it anyway, I didn't post stuff like Shining or Wolves In The Throne Room because I assume there are even more possibilities of you being well aware of their stuff. But yeah... hopefully there's something here for you, even if it is one band I would be a happy fella. All the albums but the Aaskereia one have reviews here btw.

I never considered stuff like Moonsorrow to be black though, maybe that's just me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.02.2012 - 04:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nyktalgia FTW.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.02.2012 - 07:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Any suggestions for black metal with female lead vocals, either clean or harsh, as long as the main vocalist is a chick?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.02.2012 - 19:43
The Turbanator
Written by M C Vice on 12.02.2012 at 07:57

Any suggestions for black metal with female lead vocals, either clean or harsh, as long as the main vocalist is a chick?

Darkestrah (A very must listen band)
Be Persecuted ( Depressive BM from China , excellent band)
Amesoeurs (shoegaze BM)
İlkim Oulanem (one man (actually woman) band from Turkey)
Gallhammer (not sure if Black Metal, but female vocalist)
Bestial Holocaust (same as above)
Ludicra (I personally don't like them, but you might!)
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (female vocalist + guitarist)
Melencolia Estatica (one woman project)
Sigh (Japanese BM, very good)
Thorr's Hammer (MA says they are Doom/Death but check them out)
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.02.2012 - 19:46
The Turbanator
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2012 at 04:01

Nyktalgia FTW.

Great band! Wish they released more albums. Those two they released are fantastic.
----
12.02.2012 - 22:29
IronAngel
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.02.2012 at 03:56

Written by IronAngel on 12.02.2012 at 01:53
If you had to give me 10 black metal records to listen to and really get to know, what would they be?

Here's a list, some of it is from this year. I'm going to add one youtube link for each album because I'm a cool guy.

Aaskereia - Dort, Wo Das Alte Böse Ruht (Pagan black done right, nice acoustic touches)
Anti - The Insignificance of Life (Depressive BM with fuzzy production that reminds me of Darkspace, nice riffs).
Deathspell Omega - Kenose Quite dissonant and testosterone-filled BM, tight and varied drumming and overall crazy atmosphere)
A Forest Of Stars - The Corpse Of Rebirth (BM for the gentlemen, this stuff is filled with victorian atmosphere, nice instruments like piano, violin and even some nice flute)
Infestus - E x | I s t (Impressive one-man band, the kind of stuff I can't believe it's just one dude... amazing atmospheric BM that doesn't realy on keys and stuff, just nice old riffing.)
Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations One of the odd ones in this bunch if you ask me, I can't quite point out why I feel they are special, there's some really "mad" and "ocultist" vibe going on here. Interesting melodies too.

I was going to add some more but some of them felt way off the ones you posted (well... some of these ones are already a bit off but hey, it's cool to discover new stuff) and some other shit you might know already like Deathspell Omega but I put it anyway, I didn't post stuff like Shining or Wolves In The Throne Room because I assume there are even more possibilities of you being well aware of their stuff. But yeah... hopefully there's something here for you, even if it is one band I would be a happy fella. All the albums but the Aaskereia one have reviews here btw.

I never considered stuff like Moonsorrow to be black though, maybe that's just me.

Thanks. Yeah, I know most of these by name but never really got deeper into them (except Infestus, gave that album quite a few spins last year). My problem isn't so much knowing what bands are out there but picking the very best and getting to know them well. I've played a few DSO albums here and there, same with WITTR and Shining. But usually I'm doing something else and they kinda just float by, so I really haven't gotten into that many albums properly.

For me, a black metal album is relatively hard to digest: I can immediately love the sound and atmosphere, but actually grasping the riffs, song structures etc. and remembering them next time I play the album has always been a bit hard for me. It doesn't come as naturally as the folky singer-songwriter stuff I mostly listen to, for example. So I've decided to pick just a handful of really great albums and get to know them intimately. I'll start with these, feel free to keep recommending what you feel are the essentials of the genre.

And yeah, Moonsorrow aren't exactly black metal. Verisäkeet does have some unquestionably BM moments though, especially on the first track, and the band was kinda my entry point into extreme metal years and years ago. Figured I'd mention them. Agalloch are in the same vein of essential, BM-evolved folky stuff but I'm only recently starting to appreciate them.
12.02.2012 - 22:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 12.02.2012 at 22:29
And yeah, Moonsorrow aren't exactly black metal. Verisäkeet does have some unquestionably BM moments though, especially on the first track, and the band was kinda my entry point into extreme metal years and years ago.

Hehehe, yeah. I understand and that actually maked me post Aaskereia as a recommendation.
If that's the case with albums like Shining or WITTR then I'll update my list and add this as your homework:

Shining - IV (Probably my favorite album by them)
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage (Two Hunters seems to be the best one according to many but I haven't heard it yet so i can't comment on it, this one is good shit though, a return after their third album that went a bit on the meh-side)
Chaos Moon - Languor Into Echoes, Beyond (Oddly uplifting BM, a bit hard to digest if you are BM n00bie but I think they are worth the effort).

Now...Essential is a big word tbh. I don't think the stuff I just posted is essential but more in the vein of "you might like this...or not, but it's interesting anyway"... If I wanted to post just essential I would just post second wave bands along with a couple of more or less groundbreaking shit of the 2000s like Blut Aus Nord or Deathspell Omega (although I did post DSO, but you get my point) but it would be a bit too boring .
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.02.2012 - 23:04
Solemn23
Account deleted
Are some people seriously recomending WitTR as 'essential black metal' over here..? They are pretty much one of the main pillars of what has been going very wrong in the recent bm-scenery. Smug hippie douchebags..
12.02.2012 - 23:14
IronAngel
It's OK, I'm a hipster. I happen to be quite smug, too.
12.02.2012 - 23:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=127414] on 12.02.2012 at 23:04
Are some people seriously recomending WitTR as 'essential black metal' over here..?

Did I say that it was essential? No, I even said that my two posts weren't essential at alll and I just focused on something he might like based on his favorite bands and the stuff he already knew.

I guess it's hard to really care and actually READ what has been written before commenting.
----
Rod, let me love you.