Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2016

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 21.11.2015 - 21:19
I already have quite a few albums to look forward to in 2016, so I figured we'd go ahead and get this thread started. The two so far are the upcoming Ctheilist and Lycus albums. Ctheilist embody all that is great with strange Lovecraftian death metal, while Lycus are an incredibly solid funeral doom outfit.

14.12.2016 - 21:55
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 14.12.2016 at 10:36

I'm surprised how shoegaze-y/post-y this new track sounds.

And I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this every day, and still can't get enough

EDIT
I really like the lyrics here, wonderfully that they use Polish
14.12.2016 - 23:21
Paz
Elite
Written by Góral on 14.12.2016 at 21:55

I really like the lyrics here, wonderfully that they use Polish

That's always an advantage
15.12.2016 - 12:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Classical influenced avant-garde grind. Remember these guys from a few years ago so glad to see them back. Pleasing and fun stuff.

Another band from a few years ago I forgot about. Rather good post-hardcore driven black metal. The hardcore melodies differ this from the average atmos black band I feel without pushing too far into hardcore territory. Track 4 is really uplifting I find.

15.12.2016 - 18:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Vicious grindcore. Great and varied sound.

15.12.2016 - 21:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Strange, atonal chords drift in and out of ethereal (yet oddly tactile) clouds of distortion that seem to spontaneously erupt into lightning cracks of blast beats and queasy hi-hat rides while the vocals speak in maledictions."

Sounds filthy and dark enough for me. The excessive atonal or whatever-that-high-pitched-guitar-picking-is-called riffing gets really boring after a bit though.

Plasmodium - Entheognosis

15.12.2016 - 21:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Fairly decent and fresh sounding death/black from Hong Kong. Vocals resemble growls for the most part. Has quite a bit of ethnic instrumentation too. Love the video game-y art.

Xiejia 卸甲 - Orders of The King 皇者令

16.12.2016 - 00:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Klayton (most known for Celldweller) revived his first band. Good stuff on the metal end of the electro-indus spectrum.

Bandcamp: Circle Of Dust - Machines Of Our Disgrace
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.12.2016 - 20:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Uir - Tein-Eigin, black metal from UK. Slightly atmoblack-ish, slightly meloblack-ish but neither of that fully. Pretty decent stuff.

Úir - Tein​​-​​Éigin

16.12.2016 - 20:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Freakishly weird and cool Norwegian bm overridden with synths and theremins and mellotrons or whatever bells and whistles. Damn, I need a full length already.

Nuktrukt - MMXVI II

16.12.2016 - 20:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Their/His earlier debut EP sounds a lot less psychedelic and weird.

Nuktrukt - MMXVI I

17.12.2016 - 06:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.04.2016 at 20:51

This is quite a tasty listen, closest to De Magia Veterum than anything else. My favorite and most played Mories release this year and might stay that way too. Artwork is gorgeous as well.
17.12.2016 - 12:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 16.12.2016 at 20:44

Their/His earlier debut EP sounds a lot less psychedelic and weird.

[url=https://ordernoktondurner.bandcamp.com/album/mmxvi-i][center]Nuktrukt - MMXVI I

I find the earlier stuff way, way better. The newer stuff sounds totally ridiculous imo. I like the new artwork though. I like the stamp-like logo.
17.12.2016 - 17:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very nice sounding riffy black metal from Daemon Worship Productions. This is streamable in full but not legitimately and they seem to have eschewed Bandcamp for the time being. Here's the only available song.

17.12.2016 - 19:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=4365] on 17.12.2016 at 17:01

Very nice sounding riffy black metal from Daemon Worship Productions. This is streamable in full but not legitimately and they seem to have eschewed Bandcamp for the time being. Here's the only available song.

What am I doing checking out other people's recs? Well being without wifi does weird things to my brain I guess. Or I am just not able to fucking go out and scourge for good stuff. Fuck.

Anyway cool song that, always love Daemon Worship stuff personally. Also what do you mean by the earlier stuff of that Nuttruck or whatever band? I don't see any other side project or previous release except those two eps.
17.12.2016 - 20:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.12.2016 at 19:55

What am I doing checking out other people's recs? Well being without wifi does weird things to my brain I guess. Or I am just not able to fucking go out and scourge for good stuff. Fuck.

Anyway cool song that, always love Daemon Worship stuff personally. Also what do you mean by the earlier stuff of that Nuttruck or whatever band? I don't see any other side project or previous release except those two eps.

Yeah I meant the earlier EP, rather than the later one. The first one sounds quite good with a solid sound, but the second one with the wobbly sound seems really silly to me. Almost sounds like a joke or something.
17.12.2016 - 20:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah it does sound a bit silly but I kinda enjoyed it. Maybe he is experimenting with different stuff. Would be really interesting to hear more from him and what he does with it.
18.12.2016 - 01:33
ZÖN
Written by [user id=4365] on 15.12.2016 at 12:37

Classical influenced avant-garde grind. Remember these guys from a few years ago so glad to see them back. Pleasing and fun stuff.

Another band from a few years ago I forgot about. Rather good post-hardcore driven black metal. The hardcore melodies differ this from the average atmos black band I feel without pushing too far into hardcore territory. Track 4 is really uplifting I find.

this thread is so great, I keep finding incredible stuff. These are downright life changing.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
18.12.2016 - 05:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ZÖN on 18.12.2016 at 01:33

this thread is so great, I keep finding incredible stuff. These are downright life changing.

Wahay!
18.12.2016 - 21:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Really great sounding sort of pagan black metal, maybe. Has a weirdly dark and dense tone to it which really differentiates it from the flock.

18.12.2016 - 21:09
mz
Some female fronted metal with a lot of crazy time signature and dissonance going on. Also very groovy, and almost with industrial vibe to it.

SYK- I​-​Optikon

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.12.2016 - 13:20
Candlemass
Defaeco
Hemina - Venus
Top notch prog, you can read the reviews or better, have a listen:

20.12.2016 - 23:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
!T.O.O.H.! meets black metal. From Czech Republic as well. Sounds pretty fine to be honest. They call their music "grey metal"

21.12.2016 - 00:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Oh, that's the side project of Master's Hammer vocalist.
It might be interesting. Gotta listen when I get the chance
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.12.2016 - 00:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh nice, didn't know that. It's really fun stuff.

Seems like he was only a live member though, and not any more?
21.12.2016 - 00:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh, I could swear he was the actual vocalist at some point. But checking the sources I see I'm probably wrong then =p
I think it might have to do with the fact that the vocalist used to sound pretty similar to him
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.12.2016 - 00:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh well, still worth looking into at any rate

*cough*

!T.O.O.H.! meets black metal. From Czech Republic as well. Sounds pretty fine to be honest. They call their music "grey metal"

21.12.2016 - 18:54
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 21.12.2016 at 00:29

Oh well, still worth looking into at any rate

*cough*

Umbrtka - Hlavní stroj[/center]

This sounds pretty damn cool. Your "TOOH meet BM" description is pretty accurate I'd say.
21.12.2016 - 18:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 21.12.2016 at 18:54

This sounds pretty damn cool. Your "TOOH meet BM" description is pretty accurate I'd say.

I don't think it's going to fill the shoes left by TOOH but it's certainly a fun and solid listen.
24.12.2016 - 15:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Illegally heavy slvdgened grind / hardcore. Really vicious, and ends with a covple of almost drone-like tracks.

24.12.2016 - 16:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Blackened Stoner gaze from Vienna, Austria. Sounds really good actually.

Shock Metamorphism - Denomination