Metal Storm logo
"True Metal"

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 03.07.2006 - 04:39
A lot of metalheads have been describing and discriminating against bands who they classify as 'true metal' (or 'tr00 metal'). Whilst this is not an actual defined metal sub genre like prog or black metal, I've seen this term used a lot to describe bands from Manowar to Burzum. Some metalheads are quite passionate about this pseudo-tag and have gotten into petty squabbles about what is true and what isn't.

Anyhow, I've decided to question your thoughts on what 'true metal' is or has been described as. There is no real answer so there will be no need to bash or redefine other people's points. What makes a band 'true'? What bands can be considered so? And can a band that has 'sold out' be classed as 'true' as well or do they have to be underground to a certain extent? Do bands belonging in a certain metal subgenre have a better chance of being 'true' than another metal subgenre?

Discuss. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
29.09.2006 - 02:19
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 25.09.2006 at 17:15

Written by [user id=14754] on 20.09.2006 at 23:32

...and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"..hahah you Nerd...Seriously.... WHO talks like This?...i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones

Bit of a hypocrite, eh? I dub thee Jesus "Mentionitis" Puncher.

haha oh really now?...what a coincidence..because it so happens i was looking at your profile pics..and i came up with a bunch titles for you myself..."douchebag" ,"Flamer", and "Begs for Sex" are a few examples,haha you're wearing a metalstorm shirt in your pics..what a dork,haha and leather pants?...i love all these losers that think they're Jim Morrison.so in the future,you really should look at yourself before giving me some cute nickname kiddo.....
29.09.2006 - 03:23
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Darth Satanious on 28.09.2006 at 22:35

@Bitter COld:

Yes.

Written by Immortal Plague on 28.09.2006 at 03:40

pretty much anything BUT Nu Metal and Metalcore, and any of this Rapmetal shit im hearing about, Nu Metal and Metalcore, take aspects from the genre of Emo or Hardcore of even Post- HArdcore, its not metal

And Thrash Metal does not take influence from Hardcore Punk, right?

No it does, but its sound is mainly based on metal, Nu Metal is half rap and half something else i dont even know, same with metalcore, have post hardcore and emo, and half something else, thrash metal does take aspects from Punk and Hardcore, but it dosent sound punk or hardcore, it has its own sound instead of taking other sounds and mizing them such as Nu Metal and Metalcore.
30.09.2006 - 22:56
Klaara
Account deleted
Written by [user id=15104] on 24.07.2006 at 12:04

i hate the expression "true metal". i mean... what makes a band "true", and what makes another band "false"? i listen to whatever i want to listen to, and i dont want to hear by some other guy that its not "true" metal.

I agree, also well said here:

Written by marinBG on 20.09.2006 at 15:28

True Metal is something like Poser Metal, but with a different name...

The term 'true metal' is nonsense. I agree with 'traditional metal' or something like that, that's correct. But 'true metal'... it is saying that there is some not true metal outside this genre and that's not right.

People like DeMaio shouldn't judge other bands only because they don't like what others play. That's how the good metalhead should not behave. Manowar are kind of posers imo and that's what I hate. I also don't like e.g. black metal bands, but I don't say their 'not true' or something. All bands can't play the same genre, for example stg like 'Manowar metal', don't you think? There is always some progress, modern styles, something new in music. Be open-minded!

I personally listen to KoRn as well as Gamma Ray, as well as Children Of Bodom, for example. That's my choice, that's what I like and I don't feel worse because someone said that KoRn are not true. I simply don't care about these opinions.

And thank you, peavy, for good example of ignorancy and narrow-mindness you speak about. Nothing against you personally, of course. But just look at this and think about yourself:

Written by [user id=12173] on 19.09.2006 at 00:11

There is no such thing as "nu metal". Mallcore, rapcore & grunge SUCK BIG TIME!!!!! Yuck!! There is MORE metal in a Cinderella ballad than in that mallcore crap!!!

Long live TRUE FUCKIN' METAL!!!!

Written by [user id=12173] on 21.09.2006 at 01:14
THAT'S WHAT "TRUE METAL" IS ALL ABOUT, you ignorant!!!
01.10.2006 - 08:37
Hyvaarin
Written by [user id=14754] on 29.09.2006 at 02:19

...and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"..hahah you Nerd...Seriously.... WHO talks like This?...i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones

haha oh really now?...what a coincidence..because it so happens i was looking at your profile pics..and i came up with a bunch titles for you myself..."douchebag" ,"Flamer", and "Begs for Sex" are a few examples,haha you're wearing a metalstorm shirt in your pics..what a dork,haha and leather pants?...i love all these losers that think they're Jim Morrison.so in the future,you really should look at yourself before giving me some cute nickname kiddo.....

Ahh, but my comment was actually relevant, and based firmly in reality. I pointed out a contradiction in your post/character that was relevant to the thread, and you went looking for something to throw at me (something incredibly lame, might I add). Get the fuck over yourself.

Personally, I think a lot of people use the tag "true metal" in a tongue in cheek way. Sure, it applies to bands that are true to the spirit of metal (ie. freeing oneself from restraints), but I don't think that many people use it in a serious way.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
02.10.2006 - 03:16
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Immortal Plague on 29.09.2006 at 03:23

@Bitter COld:

Yes.

pretty much anything BUT Nu Metal and Metalcore, and any of this Rapmetal shit im hearing about, Nu Metal and Metalcore, take aspects from the genre of Emo or Hardcore of even Post- HArdcore, its not metal

No it does, but its sound is mainly based on metal, Nu Metal is half rap and half something else i dont even know, same with metalcore, have post hardcore and emo, and half something else, thrash metal does take aspects from Punk and Hardcore, but it dosent sound punk or hardcore, it has its own sound instead of taking other sounds and mizing them such as Nu Metal and Metalcore.

And what about Anthrax's "Got The Time" song for example? Isn't it Punkish to the vein?

Nu Metal is mainly Alternative Metal from the 90s. It does have Metal in it; there is a lot of Post-Thrash in some bands for example.

Metalcore, as the name suggests, has Metal in it and if it has Metal; it sounds like Metal. If you are going to argue about Metalcore bands not sounding like Metal perhaps you could mention some bands whose main focus is their Hardcore aspects of their music instead of Metal; but not all Metalcore bands are like this. There are bands whose only Hardcore influence does not go far from just having breakdowns in their songs or the vocalists' way of singing but we all know that vocals do not make a subgenre. These bands come with something which is very Metal; there are bands whose main musical approach goes to Melodic Death Metal (just with the above elements of Hardcore present). And by the way, not all bands have that Pop singing (considered as Emo) in their songs; I think that generalizing was very unwise from you.

Bands from the seventies could even argue if a genre such as Death Metal sounds to that which they played in their days. This is even kind of relative. If you argue that having Pop singing is not fit for Metal, a pioneering Metal bands can say the same about "cookie monster", low vocals.
----
Christless
04.10.2006 - 22:59
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Darth Satanious on 02.10.2006 at 03:16

Written by Immortal Plague on 29.09.2006 at 03:23

@Bitter COld:

Yes.

And what about Anthrax's "Got The Time" song for example? Isn't it Punkish to the vein?

Nu Metal is mainly Alternative Metal from the 90s. It does have Metal in it; there is a lot of Post-Thrash in some bands for example.

Metalcore, as the name suggests, has Metal in it and if it has Metal; it sounds like Metal. If you are going to argue about Metalcore bands not sounding like Metal perhaps you could mention some bands whose main focus is their Hardcore aspects of their music instead of Metal; but not all Metalcore bands are like this. There are bands whose only Hardcore influence does not go far from just having breakdowns in their songs or the vocalists' way of singing but we all know that vocals do not make a subgenre. These bands come with something which is very Metal; there are bands whose main musical approach goes to Melodic Death Metal (just with the above elements of Hardcore present). And by the way, not all bands have that Pop singing (considered as Emo) in their songs; I think that generalizing was very unwise from you.

Bands from the seventies could even argue if a genre such as Death Metal sounds to that which they played in their days. This is even kind of relative. If you argue that having Pop singing is not fit for Metal, a pioneering Metal bands can say the same about "cookie monster", low vocals.

Well your right about some things, there that thrash do have the same drum beats and same vocals sometimes, like DRI mix of thrash punk, but seriously i cant think of anything else to support my topic other then saying, Nu Metal, Metalcore, and anything deriving on those lines take ALOT less talent to play then true metal in my opinion, also true metal to me came out earlyer. But thats all i can come up with to support my reasoning, but remeber, just an opinion.
07.10.2006 - 08:27
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 01.10.2006 at 08:37

Written by [user id=14754] on 29.09.2006 at 02:19

Ahh, but my comment was actually relevant, and based firmly in reality. I pointed out a contradiction in your post/character that was relevant to the thread, and you went looking for something to throw at me (something incredibly lame, might I add). Get the fuck over yourself.

Personally, I think a lot of people use the tag "true metal" in a tongue in cheek way. Sure, it applies to bands that are true to the spirit of metal (ie. freeing oneself from restraints), but I don't think that many people use it in a serious way.

Lame?..i'm not the one thinking i'm mick jagger on stage...and i'm curious to know how i contradicted myself ?
07.10.2006 - 09:01
Hyvaarin
Nice to see that, once again, you're failing to address what I'm actually saying. Gosh, could it be because you have nothing worthwhile to say?

Oh, and to answer your question - you contradicted yourself when you said "and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"" (you were referring to people name-dropping), then did the exact same thing in saying "i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones".

Now let's end this stupid fucking argument. Sorry for the mild hijack, Daru.
----
07.10.2006 - 11:16
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 07.10.2006 at 09:01

Nice to see that, once again, you're failing to address what I'm actually saying. Gosh, could it be because you have nothing worthwhile to say?

Oh, and to answer your question - you contradicted yourself when you said "and spare me the "i know more about metal than you talk"" (you were referring to people name-dropping), then did the exact same thing in saying "i'm about Thrash,Punk,Grind,Extreme Metal,Alternative Metal,Abstract/art Rock but i do like Motorhead,Maiden,Priest,Venom,Ya know,The Household ones".

Now let's end this stupid fucking argument. Sorry for the mild hijack, Daru.

well genius...you would be right except for i was referring to the type of people that make snobby remarks like "i bet you dont own this album or know that song"...in which that other guy did just that with that helloween comment he made to me....big difference between that and me namedropping venom and motorhead or mentioning genres of music i like...in which btw if you read the whole argument,you'd see i was being condescending and sarcastic with the Venom,Motorhead,Maiden and whole household band part...but nice Try...haha what's there to be relevant about? i simply saw your pics and you're a douche that thinks you're a rockstar when in reality chances are you're just a pipedreamer in a shitty bar metal band thats never going anywhere....but whatever..yeah sure,let's end this,i'll keep being a hypocrite and you keep Flaming on with your poor man's jim morrison act on stage
07.10.2006 - 15:04
danzig111
Account deleted
@Achor: What makes a band false is if they are some trendy MTV fvcking Metalcore or Nu Metal band cuz they're not tied in with all those other forms of ACTUAL METAL. It's like how people think Blink 182 are Punk, but yeah right, they're not. Oh yes and people are at times under the impression that only Power and Heavy are True.....but no, The extreme stuff is as well, it's just they don't sing about Metal in their lyrics so much lol.
07.10.2006 - 21:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Darth Satanious on 02.10.2006 at 03:16

Well, you got a problem using this song as an example because this is a cover of the Joe Jackson song called Got the Time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2006 - 01:34
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@Immortal Plague:

But we are discussing here what this supposed "True Metal" label is instead of what genre has more talented musicians than the other. But if we go by that line, I can mention far more talented drummers within Nu Metal than several drummers which are found under some Gothic Metal bands and even Power Metal. The same goes for some Metalcore guitarists which are more talented than some Gothic Metal bands which are even listed here in Metal Storm. You can have an opinion about anything and you may dislike Nu Metal and Metalcore as much as you want but this dislike should not be a reason to overlook some facts as considering them subgenres of Metal can be.

@Ozzman:

Oops, credit to the one that deserves it. Yeah, it is not the best example, my bad.
----
Christless
09.10.2006 - 08:14
Asat0r
@ Darth Satanious

I totally agree with you there. I'm not a big fan of metal-core, or nu metal, but it's still metal. And yes some Nu Metal drummers are really good. I hate the whole classification of "true metal" anyway. It's all a matter of opinion.
17.10.2006 - 16:58
Xaphiris
"In June 2003, Jon Wiederhorn of MTV.com referred to Marilyn Manson as "the only true artist today"." [Wikipedia]

It is obvious, that that [pardon my french] motherfucker was seriously disturbed. Besides that, what's really a nuisance to me is how ignorant people tent to listen and follow such loud-mouths.
----
17.10.2006 - 21:59
Unholy_Emperor
True Metal for me is a band with great spirit, with great personality that changes when the members choose to change, that always keep his spirit on above anything else.
It's just difficult to explain, is more like a feeling, for me are True Metal bands from Manowar to Burzum, Dismember or Kreator and Sodom.

Aggression, feeling, epic topics, that's what True Metal is about for me.
18.10.2006 - 12:30
Hyvaarin
Written by Xaphiris on 17.10.2006 at 16:58

"In June 2003, Jon Wiederhorn of MTV.com referred to Marilyn Manson as "the only true artist today"." [Wikipedia]

It is obvious, that that [pardon my french] motherfucker was seriously disturbed. Besides that, what's really a nuisance to me is how ignorant people tent to listen and follow such loud-mouths.

I honestly don't get how anyone could possibly think that. Seriously, there is no possible explanation for that statement.
----
23.10.2006 - 20:46
ASiema113
To me anyone who brings in/back a aspect or technique in metal for the best is a band that should be deemed true or a band that can stick to their roots as well as creating brutal riffs with unrelenting speed and outdoing their own work successfully is True to me
I'd say Keep of Kalessin qualifys.

Hails to True Norwegian Black Metal
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
27.11.2006 - 02:50
Hyvaarin
Here's a pretty definitive quote from Eric Adams - "If they play from the heart and not from the wallet then it's true metal.".
----
27.11.2006 - 02:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hyvaarin on 27.11.2006 at 02:50

Here's a pretty definitive quote from Eric Adams - "If they play from the heart and not from the wallet then it's true metal.".

Ill agree with this. that quote also explains why you dont hear 'true metal' and _________ {insert nu-metal band name here) used in the same sentence.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2006 - 15:31
don Bastardo
True, not true....I don't give a damn...but actually (imho) being "true" isn't really about music, it's more about attitude...or what?
----
Save the trees - wipe your butt with an owl.
27.11.2006 - 15:49
Sunioj
True metal= musicianship, hard work, and integrity. If a band isnt being troo, you can hear it. Sure lots of bands need the media to back them up, but its heart warming when they put the fans first, unlike bands like children of bodom and in flames, who "evolved" so to speak. Bands that change their sound with a motive to reach mainstream audiences arent troo.
28.11.2006 - 16:27
Damnated
Churchburner

speaking of the devil, Manson's new album is coming out in early next year wich will rock my ass of, for shure
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.11.2006 - 16:52
Sunioj
Written by Damnated on 28.11.2006 at 16:27

speaking of the devil, Manson's new album is coming out in early next year wich will rock my ass of, for shure

Holy shit, hes so original, almost everyone of his songs isnt stolen from 80's artists! C'mon he was in the Cos, so he has to be metal!
28.11.2006 - 16:59
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Sunioj on 28.11.2006 at 16:52

Holy shit, hes so original, almost everyone of his songs isnt stolen from 80's artists! C'mon he was in the Cos, so he has to be metal!

yeah, I mean his top hits were covers. he's just like britney spears
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.12.2006 - 07:44
C0kaCoLa
Account deleted
Is there any bands that can match old metallica's superiority?? I mean old metallica as in the time of James Hetfield something like ride the lightining album. After they changed members, its not that good anymore.
03.12.2006 - 03:36
Xaphiris
Written by [user id=18232] on 01.12.2006 at 07:44

Is there any bands that can match old metallica's superiority?? I mean old metallica as in the time of James Hetfield something like ride the lightining album. After they changed members, its not that good anymore.

Dude, James has always been in the band.
----
03.12.2006 - 03:37
Xaphiris
Check this out

LOL, can't get enough of the last paragraph of that section.
----
03.12.2006 - 17:28
C0kaCoLa
Account deleted
Oh. yeah.. i got mixed up a bit.. i was thinking of sepultura... but still i meant any band that can continue the legacy of metallica's music?? Maybe with a new improve shit... I like especially metallica's solo lead
11.12.2006 - 18:56
Om
Account deleted
Hm, I think the term 'true metal' is pretty pathetic imho. I think it's a term of people who want to be cool by listening metal and everyone else who doesn't listen the type of metal they classify as 'true' is stupid from their point of view. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm certainly not trying to offend people who like to say 'true metal', but this is just the way I know it from my experience...
16.12.2006 - 08:04
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=18486] on 11.12.2006 at 18:56

Hm, I think the term 'true metal' is pretty pathetic imho. I think it's a term of people who want to be cool by listening metal and everyone else who doesn't listen the type of metal they classify as 'true' is stupid from their point of view. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm certainly not trying to offend people who like to say 'true metal', but this is just the way I know it from my experience...

Calling some person 'true metalhead' would mean that he really likes metal and does not just pretend to do so.
I don't know what only 'true metal' means, but calling any particular genre 'true' would mean the form of that genre when it originated.For example, black metal was first played by bands like Bathory, Mayhem, Darkthrone,Burzum, and many other black metal bands like Dark Funeral , Immortal etc. have this type of sound. This music was named black metal; but later, bands like arcturus played their kind of music(and this was called avantgarde black metal), which, I think sounded much different from that original black metal. So, the first type is 'true' whereas the second type is 'untrue'.
This is how I have understand 'true' and 'untrue'.You should see the explanation of those who use the term 'true' and then make up your mind about it.
----
that which shines without names and forms...