Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
29.08.2009 - 21:52
IllOmenNation
In general, metalheads can be intelligent especially those who listen to metal for its complexity, a brain that can process and appreciate complex music on a high level could be said to be more intelligent than one that listens to pop or dirty south rap, but then again there are a number of factors, and I can't say "listening to metal makes you intelligent" because there are certainly some retards in this scene just as any other.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
30.08.2009 - 17:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IllOmenNation on 29.08.2009 at 21:52

In general, metalheads can be intelligent especially those who listen to metal for its complexity, a brain that can process and appreciate complex music on a high level could be said to be more intelligent than one that listens to pop or dirty south rap, but then again there are a number of factors, and I can't say "listening to metal makes you intelligent" because there are certainly some retards in this scene just as any other.

heheh well not all metal is complexed, listen flower metasl, it can be easely play in Top 20 Euro Hits radio lol
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.08.2009 - 17:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
I actually think it is probably the complete opposite of a bell curve.
30.08.2009 - 17:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.08.2009 at 17:48

what means bell curve? bell , its litheraly meaning of it?
----

30.08.2009 - 18:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.08.2009 at 17:49

Written by Baz Anderson on 30.08.2009 at 17:48

what means bell curve? bell , its litheraly meaning of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function

If we took everyone in the world and plotted their "intelligence" on a graph, it would show a standard normal distribution in the form of a bell curve.
I'm saying that with people who like metal, it might be the case that instead of a peak in the middle - the peak might be at either end. Meaning that people that like metal are, in general, either very dumb or very smart - with not a lot in between.

If this were to be actually tested, I don't think this would actually show though - I think we would still see a normal bell curve, but just perhaps a little straighter than the one for a general population.
30.08.2009 - 18:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.08.2009 at 18:00

I think we would still see a normal bell curve, but just perhaps a little straighter than the one for a general population.

Why do you think it would perhaps be a little straighter. I think the bell curve would be exactly the same.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2009 - 18:26
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2009 at 18:14

I think we would still see a normal bell curve, but just perhaps a little straighter than the one for a general population.

Why do you think it would perhaps be a little straighter. I think the bell curve would be exactly the same.

Maybe it would - but I just get the impression that, although not significantly so, people who like metal are either smarter or dumber than average with less in the middle.
30.08.2009 - 18:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 30.08.2009 at 18:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2009 at 18:14

Maybe it would - but I just get the impression that, although not significantly so, people who like metal are either smarter or dumber than average with less in the middle.

Well, from my experience they are the exact same as your average person.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2009 - 18:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2009 at 18:29

Well, from my experience they are the exact same as your average person.

That might be the case - but maybe age is also another variable in this.
Perhaps my impressions are correct with teenagers/people in their 20's, but then if we took a sample of people who like metal who are around your age - it may be as you say.
So perhaps if we are looking at age - it starts a little straighter, but then turns into a more traditional bell curve as age gets higher.

Of course this is all absolute speculation and may be entirely wrong. Which it probably is. Hahaha.
31.08.2009 - 12:43
Nighthowls
Paratrooper

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! you know about the Dirty South in Sweden!!!!!!!!!! shit's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well written though ( not to be on your nuts) but I agree with you
31.08.2009 - 13:27
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
It would be nice if metalheads were more intelligent from other people but i don't think so. i've met completely stupid metalheads. i don't want to tell anything in order not to offend them but i am sure that many metal heads are completely stupid. check out all those posers out there... even if you see the metal musicians there are many stupid also.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
31.08.2009 - 23:36
IllOmenNation
Written by Nighthowls on 31.08.2009 at 12:43

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! you know about the Dirty South in Sweden!!!!!!!!!! shit's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well written though ( not to be on your nuts) but I agree with you
Well you'd do well to remember that just because someone lives on the other side of the world from you, doesn't mean they never lived on your side, or seen anything outside their own country. I was born and raised in Canada, lived there for 25 years..
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
01.09.2009 - 02:52
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Quote:
Quote:
Well you'd do well to remember that just because someone lives on the other side of the world from you, doesn't mean they never lived on your side, or seen anything outside their own country. I was born and raised in Canada, lived there for 25 years..

Yeah thats true no disrespect ment, just that not many people outside the US really know the real culture, but thats cool and you're right peace.
03.09.2009 - 05:24
flickaa
I've met some dumbasses before.. so no I don't agree that metalheads might be smarter... I met some guy that told me that he wanted to hang out with "like-minded people" according to him people who would listen to metal all thought alike... I asked him to define " like-minded people" he said... people that listen to the same music and dress in black everyday XD ... do you call that smart? I also met one time.. a guy who told me that all blackmetal was satanic XD hah.. I guess it depends who you talk with.. I have met smart metalheads, however I also have met smart people who don't listen to metal. It depends who you talk to.

aside from that.. I love metal and I am left handed w00t!
03.09.2009 - 11:13
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by flickaa on 03.09.2009 at 05:24

I met some guy that told me that he wanted to hang out with "like-minded people" according to him people who would listen to metal all thought alike... I asked him to define " like-minded people" he said... people that listen to the same music and dress in black everyday XD ...

Wait. What? I hope you told this guy he has the wrong idea about... uh... everything.
03.09.2009 - 15:59
flickaa
Of course!!!!!! I did ..... honestly knowing this guy's background... his mother never allowed him to go out or talk on the phone during high schoool... maybe thats y he was weird.. XD actuallly i had him in my third grade class.... he was still pretty weird back then XD I try to avoid hiim as much as possible.
03.09.2009 - 21:58
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by flickaa on 03.09.2009 at 15:59

Of course!!!!!! I did ..... honestly knowing this guy's background... his mother never allowed him to go out or talk on the phone during high schoool... maybe thats y he was weird.. XD actuallly i had him in my third grade class.... he was still pretty weird back then XD I try to avoid hiim as much as possible.

Well, that explains it then... But don't you think that avoiding the guy doesn't really help with the whole "not being connected with the world" issue?
03.09.2009 - 22:28
gocasaca
Written by Warman on 10.08.2009 at 16:03

No, I don't think metalheads are more intelligent than others. But I think that we like to think so.

sad, but truth
04.09.2009 - 01:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by flickaa on 03.09.2009 at 15:59

I have no pfone if you mean cell pfone, in school I havnt even all was, I was outlaw, proudly say 1% er in school, so dont know but w emetalheads has other interests how ''normal'' people, we're diferebt and digging somewhere , what you cant find so easy how pac of condoms in supermarcet, you need to know where find metal and how to get it to
----

04.09.2009 - 02:16
flickaa
Back then elementary kids didint own cell phones.. damn you make me feel old.... XD I didint get my first cell phone till high school...
04.09.2009 - 03:31
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by flickaa on 04.09.2009 at 02:16

Back then elementary kids didint own cell phones.. damn you make me feel old.... XD I didint get my first cell phone till high school...

Same with me about the getting a phone. I didn't get mine till junior year. And what? Elementary kids have cell phones? O_O
04.09.2009 - 04:27
flickaa
Some do... some of my students that I coach.. are like 9 and they have some i'm like WHAT A @#$^ ..... shows the fear of people in our american society... don't get me wrong they can be quite handy, but however back then we could live without them.. nowadays having a cell phone is like having you wallet with you
04.09.2009 - 18:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by flickaa on 04.09.2009 at 02:16

I still have no it I mean I have it but I keep it home, I like be like old days heheheheh
----

04.09.2009 - 19:20
flickaa
That's cool I should that XD
04.09.2009 - 19:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by flickaa on 04.09.2009 at 04:27

Some do... some of my students that I coach.. are like 9 and they have some i'm like WHAT A @#$^ ..... shows the fear of people in our american society... don't get me wrong they can be quite handy, but however back then we could live without them.. nowadays having a cell phone is like having you wallet with you
most of my students hv better mobile phones than me too T_T

back on topic:
i think intelligence depends on what sort of band one listens to as well. I find some bands needs more "brain juice" to digest than some others.
----
loves 小巫
04.09.2009 - 19:55
flickaa
But that would go back to the personal taste on music dont you think?
04.09.2009 - 20:05
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 04.09.2009 at 19:31

back on topic:
i think intelligence depends on what sort of band one listens to as well. I find some bands needs more "brain juice" to digest than some others.

I think the only thing that can you can relate to one's intelligence to music is the level of appreciation of more "intelligent" music. This would mean that they are knowledgeable enough about music to understand things like music composition and the like. For instance, I have never met anyone that really likes classical symphonic music that is anything short of bright. But on the other hand, just because you are knowledgeable about music... Doesn't really make someone an overall smart person. :/
04.09.2009 - 21:50
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.09.2009 at 20:05

Written by Ag Fox on 04.09.2009 at 19:31

back on topic:

I think the only thing that can you can relate to one's intelligence to music is the level of appreciation of more "intelligent" music. This would mean that they are knowledgeable enough about music to understand things like music composition and the like. For instance, I have never met anyone that really likes classical symphonic music that is anything short of bright. But on the other hand, just because you are knowledgeable about music... Doesn't really make someone an overall smart person. :/
well... music complexity can be found on plenty of classical music (Bach fugues anyone?), so those who enjoy and understand classical music do seem to show the tendency of being smarter than the norm. Also, many studies have shown brian stimulatory effects when listening to classical music and increases the left-right brain coordination.

Back to metal. Not all metal music is complex, but there are definitely some that are considered to be "intelligent" or as some may put it as "elitist". As someone in the forum remarked in another thread, metal does seem to be a continuation in terms of the musical complexity which I agree (to a certain extent, as I still think the genius of the Bach fugues and Mozart table music etc are near the level of being ridiculous), and I hypothesise those who appreciate these bands may be cleverer.

simplified generalisation imo
(classical music) [mainstream pop/MTV, mainstream rock/metal] (so-called "intelligent" metal)
those in square brackets, i.e. probably consisting the majority of the society's population may generally (I need to emphasise generally, not all cases) of average intelligence while those in curve brackets are among the "extreme" territory and may GENERALLY be cleverer

(?)
----
loves 小巫
13.09.2009 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After what I hear heppened in Greece I say NO
Ok one undercove rcop was like underground metal promoter and some discovere it
Now some bands cancel many gigs even whit some TOP n Well know names in metal, I mean warm up bands and many greek so calledtrOO metalheads are mad, cop promoted, sorry i dont like cops in some cases but still acab, its more vaking when cops beat anarhists n hooligans, ok in Lv they sometimes are like dick n ass and idiots but generaly I dont see anything bad if cop is metalhead
Well greek football hools and anarchsist is stupid they are more treth to Europe how nazies n cimies,now they are scared because well stupid asnarchsts do time for birnung cars,m proiperties because are stupid and idiots, nornal people dont wanna burn shop, such people shood be jailed for long, ok burn something like other gang club house, but burn for burning for fun and attacking to cops whit no reason well those guys are stupid, and shood be kille, also skin heds troo skins like movemt ., we're metalheads, but attack guys whit long hair, damn in UK are football banning rders,, there shood be banning orders who can go and who can not go to metal concerts, many there ho to piss peopole of , fuck it such people are stupid and shoo be killed or sentenced, less idiots better life for normal people

Does you somehow think why bikers never go after cops who sell gang? Civilians who sell yes be kille,d but cops they never go after cops................. and such metalheads n bands call them selsf intelectual, I say they has less bains how frog
----

13.09.2009 - 21:09
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Maybe metallers are generally more intelligent than your typical person on the street because most metallers are socially awkward, introvert nerds.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.