Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
01.08.2006 - 04:26
otsego1491
Account deleted
Alright im gonna go and say it I think we can give it to like the bach/beethoven people because when you break it down, it pretty much comes down to the fact that all music evolev from there, and if you go that far you can say that the god that I believe in invented it because it in vented sound

ALL HAIL ODEN
01.08.2006 - 09:41
Xaphiris
I honestly think you're wrong. Even they got inspired from folk but that's not the point. We're talking about the band that first played metal. One time, some wiseass dude on the radio said something about a show in the '60s where they had an unusual drum set on stage and played much more powerfull music. Right now I haven't got the vaguest clue as to what year, what event and who? Can anybody help me?
----
01.08.2006 - 14:58
Beer Fairy
If you ask me i'm sure that everything started with Led Zeppelin , and they gave a new direction to the music. I love them about that
01.08.2006 - 22:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I really wish people would learn the history of metal and stopp saying "BLACK SABBATH!" Metal started before them. Anyone ever hear Blue Cheer? The Yardbirds? Those were the first bands. Sure they are not grim or brutal. But they are the first bands to really push a heavier style of music. Then from the Yardbirds we got Cream and Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin is cedited with wreiting the first true heavy metal song, 'Whole Lotta Love'. There was also Rush that came out and started the Progressive Metal movement (or what would be know as prog metal 22 years later). Then after all these, and other bands were doing, then came Black Sabbath.

The term "Heavy Metal" was first being used to describe Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and Iron Butterfly. "Headbanging" came with Led Zeppelin. Most people agree that there may have been other bands that had people doing it, but there was a newspaper article, I think from Boston, that was the first documented case of fans 'headbanging'.
----
(space for rent)
01.08.2006 - 22:17
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Ill go with Yardbirds, I really dont think that Led Zeppelin "made" Heavy Metal, they did influence metal, but we all know they are hard rock =)
----
05.08.2006 - 17:38
akildoruk
The first metal music made by Black Sabbath...In 1983 Kill 'em All was the most vicious and hard album ever made.
21.08.2006 - 20:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well."BLACK SABBATH" is a response i will have to disguise in this post:
ok so.let's think about the yardbirds.i simply CANNOT stand one full video by them because of what they look like.that's right.total nerds,but that doesn't matter.well,they certainly played some kind of rock,and although i only heard 1-2 songs by them,i have to say it's not nearly(even by early metal standards) metal.about rush,and blue cheer,well i haven't heard any song by them.Alice Cooper could be an option,but he too wasn't that much metal,even in the 80s.
So,(for me at least) led zeppelin and sabbath stand.out of these 2 i chose sabbath.why?just listen to their selftitled song from their self-titled album.and then tell me it's from 1970.it's just so EVIL.you simply can't get more metal than this.sure sure zeppelin had a whole lotta love in 69,but this is much more pure,much more doomy,evil,disturbing "daddy?DADDY?WHERE ARE YOU?" music
whole lotta love is definetely a song that stands at that edge between hard rock and heavy metal,but their second selftitled album is so blues,jazz and whatnot
and now that slightly faster part started.at this moment i don't have a shadow of doubt.conclusively:
you may tell me there are bands before sabbath that invented the term "heavy metal" or playing harder or something,or maybe just sitting on that thin edge between rock and heavy metal but there is no doubt in my mind:BLACK SABBATH IS THE FIRST HEAVY(slightly doomy)METAL BAND
23.08.2006 - 14:11
Iris
Account deleted
I'd say Black Sabbath,but still Iron Maiden offered so much! Who knows...
23.08.2006 - 15:20
Anathemani@c
Written by [user id=15453] on 23.08.2006 at 14:11

I'd say Black Sabbath,but still Iron Maiden offered so much! Who knows...

Metal has not started from Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden.. These are just two bands that have inspired metal music very much.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
23.08.2006 - 15:22
Anathemani@c
Written by akildoruk on 05.08.2006 at 17:38

The first metal music made by Black Sabbath...In 1983 Kill 'em All was the most vicious and hard album ever made.

I really think you are 15 years old or even a little bit smaller...
----
Trapped in time
23.08.2006 - 15:52
Damnated
Churchburner

I fail to see the connection between Kill'Em All and Sabbath. IMHO Led Zep made metal for the first time. (Whole Lot Of Love)
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.08.2006 - 04:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I have to say Black Sabbath, and for a long time I didn't think so, I used to think, "No way, they may have influenced countless bands, but they didn't start it", but then one day I was looking at the inside if my Album cover for "Paranoid", and it said they Started In 1966! I was like, Wholy shit dude, no way!
So I think it's very plausable that sabbath actually was the first metal band, unless there was a metal band from before 1966, and if anybody has any info on that, I'm happy to listen.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.08.2006 - 17:55
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Black Sabbath for sure invented the genre. Led Zeppelin may have influenced t but they certainly did not invent it. I don't think that the Yardbirds qualify as metal. Judas Priest, Maiden, and Motorhead made metal popular though.
25.08.2006 - 19:23
Iris
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 23.08.2006 at 15:22

That's your opinion... Right or wrong I had my own.... I'm 17 by the way
25.08.2006 - 19:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol he wasn't talking about you but about that guy acko
26.08.2006 - 00:23
Anathemani@c
Written by [user id=15453] on 25.08.2006 at 19:23

Written by Anathemani@c on 23.08.2006 at 15:22

That's your opinion... Right or wrong I had my own.... I'm 17 by the way

Sorry, but I said that for acko - not for you. I respect your opinion and I didn't say anything.
----
Trapped in time
26.08.2006 - 00:40
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Arian Totalis on 24.08.2006 at 04:11

they Started In 1966! I was like, Wholy shit dude, no way!

Their very first material was recorded between March and September 1969 . 'Led Zeppelin' was released on January 12, 1969. Draw a conclusion.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.08.2006 - 01:55
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Damnated on 26.08.2006 at 00:40

Their very first material was recorded between March and September 1969 . 'Led Zeppelin' was released on January 12, 1969. Draw a conclusion.

Listen dude, I don't wanna get in some petty squabble over Led Zepplin, I just told you what I thought about them, that they play rock. And Just Because they didn't release their first Recording untill 1969, doesn't mean they wern't a band before 1969, Iron maiden Started in 1975, but didn't release an album untill 1979, that's FOUR years, but they still had a hardcore underground following, and were a loved band on the east side of london, so I hope now you see my point?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.08.2006 - 02:08
Damnated
Churchburner
Look, if they don't release anything, it is if they doesn't exist. Who knows if they had concerts, Sabbath that is, in the '66-'69 period? Who knows what they sounded like? What we know is their demos, wich are followups to Zeppelin's first album. Sabbath, on some level, was influenced by Zeppelin, wheter you like it or not. And Zep played, from the begining, a more heavier form of rock. Hell, if they debut today, it would be metal. See my point?
----

26.08.2006 - 03:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 26.08.2006 at 01:55

Listen dude, I don't wanna get in some petty squabble over Led Zepplin, I just told you what I thought about them, that they play rock. And Just Because they didn't release their first Recording untill 1969, doesn't mean they wern't a band before 1969, Iron maiden Started in 1975, but didn't release an album untill 1979, that's FOUR years, but they still had a hardcore underground following, and were a loved band on the east side of london, so I hope now you see my point?

Guys, Led Zeppelin did not start in 1966. Jimmy Page formed the band in 1968. In 1966 he was just a young session musican.

And as for Led Zeppelin playing 'rock', yes they did. But they also played 'metal'. Rock is a term that comes from Rock 'n' Roll (or any of the various spellings). Rock contains, all the differnt forms of hard rock, punk, metal, grunge, etc.

So, yes Zeppelin did play rock, but they played metal. In 1969, they were being called 'Heavy Metal'. Their song "Whole Lotta Love" is considered to be the first fully developed Metal song.
----
(space for rent)
26.08.2006 - 04:28
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dane Train on 26.08.2006 at 03:06

Written by Arian Totalis on 26.08.2006 at 01:55

Guys, Led Zeppelin did not start in 1966. Jimmy Page formed the band in 1968. In 1966 he was just a young session musican.

And as for Led Zeppelin playing 'rock', yes they did. But they also played 'metal'. Rock is a term that comes from Rock 'n' Roll (or any of the various spellings). Rock contains, all the differnt forms of hard rock, punk, metal, grunge, etc.

So, yes Zeppelin did play rock, but they played metal. In 1969, they were being called 'Heavy Metal'. Their song "Whole Lotta Love" is considered to be the first fully developed Metal song.

Well yeah, but I never said Led Zepplin formed in 1966, I said Black Sabbath did. Just read Higher up on my post, I said That I thought Black Sabbath was the first Metal Band because they formed in "66", and that I'd never heard of a metal Band before then.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.08.2006 - 05:06
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
there is a band called Iron Butterfly (or something like that), they are pretty old, from the early 60's, I dont know much about them, maybe they are older than Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, Ill look for it =)
----
26.08.2006 - 05:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by 4look4rd on 26.08.2006 at 05:06

there is a band called Iron Butterfly (or something like that), they are pretty old, from the early 60's, I dont know much about them, maybe they are older than Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, Ill look for it =)

Yes Iron Buttlerfly was a band from the mid 1960's. They, along with Blue Cheer, Stepenwolf, The Yardbirds and a few others are the bass for Metal.

I would highly recomend checking out these early bands. Their influence is being felt today.
----
(space for rent)
26.08.2006 - 06:35
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Alright i didnt bother to read the other posets so this was probably already said but hell.

In the flower power times the hippies were into their crap an people like Dee Snider were looking for something 'Heavier' Grand Funk Railroad were a band they were looking at but they werent 'Metal' they were the kind of band that the Heavy people wanted the were more melodic

These bands had the attitudes and the motives but they didnt have a focuse on the 'heavyness' and the distrortion.

To cut a long story short

BLACK SABBATH IS THE BIRTH OF METAL HANDS DOWN CHILDREN!

Because they were the first band to take the motives and directions of band like Led zep, grand funk railroad etc. and distort and make it heavier and thats is how.... IMO from what iv heard and seen from the mouth of ppl who lived through it from my Heavy Metal Documentary.

Thank you
15.09.2006 - 13:22
ironman2002
God, million topics about the same. Someone should stop it!
15.09.2006 - 18:28
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Certainly Black Sabbath. They were first that played music that sound like (heavy/doom) metal. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc. were very important for development of metal but they were hard rock bands, so we can't say that they were first that played, as you say, True Metal.
16.09.2006 - 14:58
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Led Zeppelin influenced many heavy metal bands but they are not heavy metal themselves.

Bands like Metallica, Black Sabbath and even Deep Purple (sort of) created heavy metal

this is all in my opinion.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.09.2006 - 18:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 16.09.2006 at 14:58

Led Zeppelin influenced many heavy metal bands but they are not heavy metal themselves (...) and even Deep Purple (sort of) created heavy metal

Zep influenced many heavy metal bands so they (sort of) created heavy metal. or what are you saying? that Deep is heavy metal?
----

17.09.2006 - 16:45
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Well I'd say it goes to the crew like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. And then bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Venom and so on gave their directions to it. But my most greetful greets go to blues and folk.
20.09.2006 - 01:02
hottercraft
There were a lot of bands before that influenced him, but I think the first METAL band was Judas Priest. Black Sabbath was an influence, but I think it wasn't exactly Metal, and Led Zeppelin wasn't exactly Metal either...