Metal Storm logo
Dreams

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.06.2006 - 00:47
Dreams...do you believe in them? what do they mean to you....what was the nicest and the most horrible dream you've ever had...what was your last night's dream...and, in fact what are dreams? these are the questions i would like you to answer to in this thread...I, for one, believe that dreams are just bullcrap; my guess is that they are just representations of the most intense feelings and events that happened to a person during a day, or a certain period of time, that come out at night....so, i'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say about this...
09.11.2008 - 11:06
Elio
Red Nightmare
few nights ago I made a very strange dream and there was also an English test to be done...it was about Kurt Cobain's life and the way he influenced music
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.11.2008 - 19:44
Graveheart
Written by Valentin B on 29.11.2007 at 22:03

@all the deja vu guys: how many do you estimate you have had up to this day? i think i've had well over 200 deja vu's.

Ever had a deja vu²? Deja vu of a deja vu. When it happens you feel like telling yourself "I've re-experienced this before"

Has anyone tried to keep up a dream journal? If you're interested in having carefully detailed and complex story dreams, writing them down is said to help have more of them and it's also supposed to get you more into the tendency of remembering them. I don't exactly know how it works, but it's a psychological issue of some kind. A couple months ago I "captured" a few and one of them is something I'd like to call a very pleasing result of the habit, but I somehow lost the taste for it soon after that so I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence because I'm still lacking long-term effect. Anyway here is something I saw then and wanted to share, it's on the last page in my dream journal and dated to September 13th of 2008.

Quote:

For reasons unknown to me I've moved to a foreign country, which most probably is the United States. I'm walking on the street late at night and I notice one of my buddies walking towards me some hundred yards' distance away. This guy isn't a real life friend, he only exists in the dream and he's somebody I probably didn't know before I arrived in the country. But I recognise him instantly and later while awake I've realised he looked a lot like the actor that plays Logan Echolls on Veronica Mars.

Before we meet however, from behind my friend a tourist bus suddenly appears out of nowhere, speeding and sliding and swinging left and right on the road completely out of control. The rear end rolls over my friend and the bus stops right in front of me. I run to check if my friend's doing alright. At first he's crawling on the pavement in a sort of comical way, then he suddenly springs up completely cured as if nothing had happened. I also accept this and it doesn't surprise me at all, it's like I always knew no one ever had or would be killed in a bus crash (it's funny how you never question even the silliest things in dreams).

So we approach the tourist bus that's awkwardly parked across the road. It's got "POLAND & FINLAND" written on its side. We enter and take a look around to see it hasn't got a driver, no steering wheel or anything whatsoever indicating that the bus could be controlled from the inside. That also feels completely normal, because since when were bus drivers ever necessary? It's just full of passenger seats with Polish and Finnish tourists sitting on them chatting and also pretending as if nothing happened and as if the bus was still moving. My American friend and I find two vacant seats and try to listen to what the other people are saying, but we can only hear Polish conversation which neither of us can understand a word of (now I'm not sure if it actually was Polish, but the dream did a pretty good job convincing me).

I get bored and head for the rear end looking for Finnish tourists. I can only find one, a middle-aged woman who's wondering aloud in Finnish why there are no other Finns on the bus. I want to be friendly so I tell her she's not alone and suggest if I should try and translate to them whatever she wants to say, but she doesn't seem to see or hear me at all. I wave my hands right in front of her but it doesn't help, she keeps seeing though me and calling in Finnish for someone to listen and understand her. I give up and return to where I left my friend, but meanwhile my seat's been occupied by an attractive Polish girl kissing him passionately. I try to distract them but only to receive the familiar response of neither paying any attention to me. The dream ends with me pacing back and forth through the bus listening to Polish and completely unable to contact anyone and wake them up.
09.11.2008 - 20:29
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Graveheart on 09.11.2008 at 19:44

So we approach the tourist bus that's awkwardly parked across the road. It's got "POLAND & FINLAND" written on its side.

Dude, do you remember if in your dream you read the writing? Because I've heard (and noticed in my dreams too) that it's impossible to read in dreams.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.11.2008 - 23:06
Graveheart
Written by Elio on 09.11.2008 at 20:29

So we approach the tourist bus that's awkwardly parked across the road. It's got "POLAND & FINLAND" written on its side.

Dude, do you remember if in your dream you read the writing? Because I've heard (and noticed in my dreams too) that it's impossible to read in dreams.

I don't remember if I actually read it as in saw the letters in front of me or if I just subconsciously knew it had that written on it somewhere. Or maybe my friend told me it was there and I believed him, it could have been anything saying so. It's all pretty vague trying to recall a solid picture, with dreams you just somehow automatically feel what is there and what isn't there. Most of the time it isn't limited to visual reception.

I've also heard of and noticed a similar thing which is seeing your own limbs in your dreams. That is extremely, extremely rare.
10.11.2008 - 14:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Graveheart on 09.11.2008 at 23:06

Written by Elio on 09.11.2008 at 20:29

I don't remember if I actually read it as in saw the letters in front of me or if I just subconsciously knew it had that written on it somewhere. Or maybe my friend told me it was there and I believed him, it could have been anything saying so. It's all pretty vague trying to recall a solid picture, with dreams you just somehow automatically feel what is there and what isn't there. Most of the time it isn't limited to visual reception.

I've also heard of and noticed a similar thing which is seeing your own limbs in your dreams. That is extremely, extremely rare.

i can read in my dreams, just last night i dreamt i was online on yahoo messenger and a certain "drunkard girl" just signed in, and i thought who the fuck is this
10.11.2008 - 14:53
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 10.11.2008 at 14:46

i can read in my dreams, just last night i dreamt i was online on yahoo messenger and a certain "drunkard girl" just signed in, and i thought who the fuck is this

----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
11.11.2008 - 00:13
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...they say there's actually two things that can be done by few while dreaming...watching yourself in the mirror and seeing your watch or knowing what time is it...anyone??
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
11.11.2008 - 04:56
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I remember that for almost two months in the beggining of the year I kept haing this nightmare of my parents dying in a horrific car accident... *shivers*
But more or less from may I can't remember what I dream. Very rarely I can remember what I dreamt. I heard that it means that my sleeping cycle is good. Is that true?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.11.2008 - 08:48
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I had a dream when I was a little kid (maybe 3-4) that I remember really well for some reason. I was in one of those big tube play structures, the ones at fast food places and the like. The tube structure was in the parking lot of the apartment building I used to live at. There were dinosaurs everywhere outside and I walked out and I picked up a hand full of woodchips and threw them at a triceratops and yelled "EAT THIS" expecting it to kill it or something. I then just stood there and walked slowly back into the structure and the dream ended.
----
Coldgrits
11.11.2008 - 14:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Man, i've never ever ever had the same dream twice, or at least i don't remember it
11.11.2008 - 20:22
Vrana

Has anyone tried to keep up a dream journal?

Yeah, I have a dream journal and it's really worth making one. Just looking for one month back, I can analyze I what period, mood I was... dreams tell a lot of things.
For example,last 2 weeks of september /first of october I had dreams about houses and about me being in them. I can remember how comfortable and safe I felt. Last two weeks of octobers were nightmares. Animals (pandas, elephants) chasing me and there was always a friend with me, I just never saw her face, I just know someone was there. In one of my dreams someone even shoot at me and stabbed me. Incredible, how I felt the pain in my dreams.
Last week I had a dream about having a car accident and loosing my bicycle.
it's easy to understand my dreams. I dreams houses before going to Ljubljana and my dreams changed when I came here: a lot of new things, people, school, stress and some problems from the past. In reality I didn't even realized that sth's not ok, but well, dreams showed that.
Well, I'm still working on my last dreams, I didn't find any connection yet. But I will eventually .
11.11.2008 - 20:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This reminds me: one time i remember i dreamt i was on a boat or something, then ALL OF A SUDDEN something pulled me down REAL FAST to the bottom of the sea and i was choking! it was pretty horrible, maybe the worst dream i ever had. this shit just proves that the mind controls all the body's perceptions.
11.11.2008 - 20:56
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I keep having dreams where i am a man and im naked...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
12.11.2008 - 01:30
necrovamp
Hm a dream itself is bassiclly your head working things out. if you keep a dream diary (as i do) you can rember your dreams and therefore interpret them. mosth things in your dream will mean something to you mayby in an odd way but if you take time to study them you can work out whats going on in your life. lets say you ahve a problem with one of your friends and they are not speaking/ contacting you. if in your dream you picture them in an accident then it probably means they need help, if they ahve moved away it means they are distanceing themselves from you or visa versa. I could go on for hours here but it hink you get my general gist of things. of course there thoses dreams that just happen for no reason. like the time i was a televison.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
22.11.2008 - 10:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Last night i dreamt my dad brought a lot of guitars back home from some dude who didn't want them, and they were all really wacky and shit.

there was one which actually was a bass and it had 5 double strings(like on 12 string guitars, only this one had 10), and the body looked like some kind of weird Flying V...

the body looked something like the green things on this thing:

23.11.2008 - 09:43
tulkas
el parcero
About a month ago, i fell asleep a whole afternoon and dreamt that my ex gf had died. it was something like me recieving a call and going to a place somehwere and when i got there, they said like, we found her dead, she had drowned on a lake or something like that. i woke up freaked up (i still love her and i have no idea what dreams mean, so... it shocked me) hehe, and the wierd thing was that i saw her the next day and she looked strange, so i asked her if something was wrong and she told me she had been sad for some days...

i don't know, probably sounds stupid, but that did have some effect on me and i don't know what this dream could have meant, specially because after that until now i have dreamed twice that we had gotten back together
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
24.11.2008 - 08:52
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...dreaming that someone close to u dies is terrible...it has happened to me before and when i woke up i phone this boy to ask him if he was ok there's alot of beliefs sorrounding this events, some ppl say if u dream someone dies from the opposite sex, u'll marry him/her...i dont believe that but some ppl do...

...fyi, some interesting sleep facts...

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
24.11.2008 - 11:14
tulkas
el parcero
Written by nana.MD on 24.11.2008 at 08:52

...dreaming that someone close to u dies is terrible...it has happened to me before and when i woke up i phone this boy to ask him if he was ok there's alot of beliefs sorrounding this events, some ppl say if u dream someone dies from the opposite sex, u'll marry him/her...i dont believe that but some ppl do...

...fyi, some interesting sleep facts...

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm

i don't believe that's true either (marrying the person of opposite sex that died in your drem), but i'd certainly like it in this case, hehe.

btw, interesting facts there, specially the one that says that teens need the same amount of sleep as children which is 10 hours. now i have a valid argument for my parents when they tell me to wake up
----
24.11.2008 - 23:52
Graveheart
Quote:
The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

Whoa, I read that wrong for the first few times, I somehow thought it was about the longest period of sleep and that it's 18 days, 21 hours and 40 minutes. I thought that was even more amazing than what it actually read and the results sounded oddly surprising... concentration lapses alright.

This forcefully reminds me of Insomnia by Stephen King. The main character/narrator in the novel said it's possible that people can die of insomnia, but it's always interpreted as suicide in the death certificate. I found that extremely fascinating, although it's one of those fictitious facts.

Quote:
Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can reset the brain's sleep-wake clock.

I've always known humans are strange, but this... what

Quote:
The 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill off Alaska, the Challenger space shuttle disaster and the Chernobyl nuclear accident have all been attributed to human errors in which sleep-deprivation played a role.

Not the career choice for me then obviously

Quote:
Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet.

It's almost midnight and I'm still reading these
26.11.2008 - 23:15
Dark Blood
The Avenger
A few months ago I had a dream about a friend. Nothing special just me, her and some other dudes on some kind of lan house.. the weirdest thing is that I haven't seen her or talk to her for 6 years, only a few months ago I managed to recover a contact of her. Last week she said she had a dream about me! And basically the same dream according to her! Wtf?! LOL This is very weird cause we haven't seen each other for 6 years.. only talk on msn!
Does someone here knows about anything similar to this.. like 2 people having a dream of each other in a short time?
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
27.11.2008 - 10:15
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Dark Blood on 26.11.2008 at 23:15

A few months ago I had a dream about a friend. Nothing special just me, her and some other dudes on some kind of lan house.. the weirdest thing is that I haven't seen her or talk to her for 6 years, only a few months ago I managed to recover a contact of her. Last week she said she had a dream about me! And basically the same dream according to her! Wtf?! LOL This is very weird cause we haven't seen each other for 6 years.. only talk on msn!
Does someone here knows about anything similar to this.. like 2 people having a dream of each other in a short time?

i know it may go a bit out f context of 'reality' but there's this book about vampires called Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu, where something like that happens. as a little girl Carmilla, the main character, dreams about a girl that appears on her room and then lies by her side on her bed. years later, she meets this girl, and in one of her chats the latter says that she had had the same dream...
you could check it out, it's a very interesting book and not long at all

sorry for going off-topic here...
----
27.11.2008 - 22:46
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by tulkas on 27.11.2008 at 10:15

Written by Dark Blood on 26.11.2008 at 23:15

i know it may go a bit out f context of 'reality' but there's this book about vampires called Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu, where something like that happens. as a little girl Carmilla, the main character, dreams about a girl that appears on her room and then lies by her side on her bed. years later, she meets this girl, and in one of her chats the latter says that she had had the same dream...
you could check it out, it's a very interesting book and not long at all

sorry for going off-topic here...

Not at all. It sounds interesting, and I'll check it out. I don't read much but when I found a subject that interests me I make sure to read it
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
10.01.2009 - 23:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
A few nights ago i dreamt that a redhead girl with a huge dark funeral tattoo on her back(complete with pentagram and "evil-as-fuck" logo) put her hand on my forehead, covering my eyes too, and started hypnotizing me lol. pretty weird/funny dream now that i think about it
11.01.2009 - 01:38
Graveheart
I was out on my back yard, watching aurora borealis while sitting in a wheelchair alone at night in the freezing cold (because it was last week, at the heart of winter). There was this deep feeling of sadness all over the dream although nothing particularly sad happened. It felt like finally accepting I would never ever walk again.

It probably tells me I'm scared of becoming disabled/amputated/paralysed for the rest of my life - but aren't we all?
23.01.2009 - 02:12
infydreams
I find dreams really interesting, though I've never really taken much time to read more into it (which I probably should).
I do have the odd dream about dying in various ways (being stabbed, shot, falling off cliffs and funnily enough being eaten by a crocodile). Then there are those good dreams where I either meet a gorgeous girl or for example I buy a lot of sweets and wake up feeling pretty disappointed it was only a dream.

Day dreaming (or fantasizing) is something else I really like doing, merely to vanish from reality and get what I long for.

I've also had one specific episode where I've had an "awake" dream. I'm not sure what to categorise it as, but I was awake, yet my mind was in some sort of dream and my body was completely paralysed. It was probably one of the strangest things that have happened to me to be honest. I was lying in bed listening to Opeth's Hessian Peel, when as the song progressed I found myself standing in the middle of nowhere, a desert, complete emptiness. I turn around and I dead tree is suddenly there in the middle of it all. I continue turning and I see a person standing naked and bent over at the opposite side from where I saw the tree. I walk closer to the person and notice it's a woman and as I move to see her face, all I see is that she's in shock. Then it changes, as if she's seen something horrible because she looks terrified, yet not moving and still bent over. Again her face changes and she looks in agony, but only by facial expression, she's not making a single sound before the skin on her back and neck start to rip and I can see fingernails emerge from within her.
Fingers start to emerge slowly, they're slightly grey'ish and bony and her back opens up more and more. Something is about to come out of her back. The music is getting more intense and my heart is beating faster as everything is happening is this vast emptiness with only me and this woman who's in complete agony and got some sort of creature ripping its way out of her back.
Then, finally its head, it squeezes out of this poor woman's back and screams in a horrifying way. It sounds so dreadful I want to tear my ears off. It looks like some sort of demon that's half way out of a woman's back and I can't do anything, I'm standing there in shock, terrified of what's happening right before my eyes.
Then I'm back in my bed, the song has finished and I can move, open my eyes and stunned by what I'd just experienced.

Personally I think I have a bizarre imagination and that I'm possibly just a bit fucked up. Sadly I scared one of my friends from ever listening to that song again even though it was her favourite Opeth song...so I'm a little ashamed of that.

I'd like to hear people's opinion on my experience though...oh and I do know about that reversed bit in that song, but don't really think it's got anything to do with it.
23.01.2009 - 15:30
Kanto
I've had like 55 dreams with the same girl, she is a friend [but in my mind obviously more than that] of mine and...is creepy sometimes

About dreams in general, sometimes they are just an expression of your weird mind, so it doesn't mean anything at all. It's strange that people really pay to know what their dreams mean or are trying to tell you, another (Smart) way to steal you money I think
----
...Dude.
15.02.2009 - 11:46
Graveheart
Last night I had my first nightmarish experience in ten years.

I was a woman in the dream (which seriously had nothing to do with it being a nightmare, although that might have been a funny joke in another context like "and that was the end.") and writing poetry with a man that called himself Rafael Manos. Except that I didn't see this person anywhere, or anyone else around me for that matter, it was just me alone with a pen and a paper. His verses kept writing themselves on the paper right next to mine and both of our poetry was in English and connected to each other (the situation was very reminiscent of Ginny Weasley's dialogue with Tom Riddle's diary in HP and the Chamber of Secrets). Now I can't remember any of my poetry, except at one point I wrote something about the rain. Rafael's poetry was very rich and romantic, most of which I've entirely forgotten now, except there was a phrase that said "you shiver at my touch." I slowly began to develop an emotional, heterosexual attraction towards this mysterious person that kept telepathically exchanging poetry with me and I started asking him about himself. He told me his name was Rafael Manos and he told me more. At the end he told me he was dead. Then I heard myself let out a scream (with a female voice) and freaked out completely.

It probably sounds a little silly to you and not convincingly scary at all, but somehow the dream had very effectively lured me into an extremely emotional state of mind and something about this Rafael Manos turning out to be a dead person just frightened me senseless. I woke up immediately, but the real shit starts here: Rafael Manos didn't seem to have gone anywhere. I still sensed his presence in the darkness of my room and he didn't appear friendly at all. I could barely feel my bed beneath me, heard a constant high-pitched buzz drone numb in my ears and I shivered at his touch. I don't mean his physical hands of course, fortunately it didn't go that far. Mind you I was fully awake and knew it, not half dizzied by a dream anymore and totally capable of sense. Not a sleep paralysis either, because I could move my body and keep my eyes closed, neither of which you can't do in such a condition as far as I know. It lasted a minute or two until Rafael Manos or whatever it was eventually went away. I'm able to laugh at it now, but at the time it actually made me question my faith in the non-religious and non-spiritual view of the world, although I've tried to explain that the intense ending of a dream fucked with my brain and deluded me for a minute, which likely might be what it all was about. But last night I seriously believed for that minute that an evil shapeless being had found me in my weakest moment (like perhaps everyone, I'm least sceptical of everything while I dream) and had finally sensed a fracture in my atheistic shell to penetrate through to get me. And for the record, of all the people you've ever listened to I might be among the very last ones to believe any of this could actually happen to you.

Also, Rafael Manos sounds very much like a Spanish name so I translated his last name just before I started writing this. Turns out "manos" is Spanish for "hands". I seriously wasn't aware of that and I started my Spanish lessons last month. It relieved me Google doesn't know who he is.

Earlier the same night I remember having two other dreams that might be related to said nightmare, but they're so goofy I doubt they can explain anything:

The first one involved myself taking a shower in my underwear. I didn't want to remove the last piece of my clothing, because I was listening to my mp3 player and had no place else to keep the device other than in my pocket. Which is strange since none of my underpants have any pockets and it isn't typical of me at all to listen to music while I shower, not even on the radio. The dream music I was listening to in the shower bore striking resemblance to "Cremation" on King Diamond's Conspiracy album.

In the other dream I was looking at a maze from above. In the middle of everything there was an opening and within it a square shape. A figure entered the maze and I directed it towards the goal in the center with my will-power. By the time it reached the square I had become the figure and the perspective changed to the first person in the third dimension. The square, or rather a box turned out to be a package delivery about the average size of a children's bicycle and it had my name on it. I lifted the box and carried it out of the maze. The exit was right there in front of me so I couldn't get lost on the way out. I lived in a cabin in the woods. I took the package home and started unwrapping it in the kitchen, but then I was interrupted by my father's voice coming from one of the other rooms. He was singing in his sleep, something about "watching as the ship sails by". Which is strange since my father never sings or even listens to any kind of music, and our family hasn't had any significant history with sailing and we never have owned a cabin. The dream ended before I found out what the package contained inside.

Whoa, this thing turned out pretty long
27.02.2009 - 16:31
LostSoul
I usually have dreams of someone beating the crap outta me.
depending on my moods though. But I rarely have or remember any good dreams.

I live at the edge of a forest and once I had a dream that me and my four friends were running away from something. That turned out to be vampires, hungry vampires. So they hunt us down, one by one and I got pretty damn well see how my friends died all before me, and I woke up when one vampire caught me. Took me a while to remember where I actually am, that dream felt really real.
I cannot remember had I been really down when I had that dream. But my dreams express my moods, if I'm down I have real real bad dreams, if happy no dreams at all
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
07.03.2009 - 22:25
Deus Ex Machina
I had a weird dream. I always have weird drams anyway.
This time I was going into a outlet shop. It was a long white building with a lot of big windows, but it was on a dirt road. When I went it there was so much cool clothes, all 70% off!! XDD My dad was there with me and started to ask all these annoying questions and talking all the time. He was talking so much that even the saleswoman told him to be quiet. I was browsing around the store. All the clothes were great but I couldn't find what I wanted. When the saleswoman asked if she could help, I asked her if they have hearts. She said sure, but you have to know what size heart you want. I didn't know so I gave up on that and went browsing some more until I found a long white shirt with Mickey Mouse on it, when I took it behind it was another like it with some anime character on it. I thought about which shirt to get but then I said "Wtf, I hate anime!" And took the Mickey Mouse shirt.

I don't even know.
07.03.2009 - 23:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Graveheart on 15.02.2009 at 11:46

Also, Rafael Manos sounds very much like a Spanish name so I translated his last name just before I started writing this. Turns out "manos" is Spanish for "hands". I seriously wasn't aware of that and I started my Spanish lessons last month. It relieved me Google doesn't know who he is.

damn, stuff like this is more frightening than any horror movie. i know the feeling of being scared shitless. once i dreamt i was on a boat and i fell off on my back, and i sank impossibly fast all the way to the bottom, also i almost felt like choking lol.