Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
14.09.2009 - 03:41
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Depends. I find open-minded people the smartest people. Usually, smart people are considered to be the people that can condense the most information, but I don't think that does you much good when you just lead the pack and follow the road your told to lead (even subconciously, following all the rules, smiling, and having the quickest answer doesn't make you smart, even if you are sharp as a tack). Open-minded people that live within themselves, don't submit to influence, but treat others as equal are the smartest people. Typically metal fans have a tendency to be opinionated, listen to the music and not to the talk about the music, and obviously don't worry about pretentious things much, such as appearance or popularity. I'd say metal fans do have a tendency to be above the norm, but there are plenty of blood-thirsty headbangers out there. It depends a lot on your definition of intelligence. I'd say, for the most part, yes!
----
19.09.2009 - 22:23
MetallicA
I don't think there's a direct correlation to intelligence and metal heads. I've met some fucking retards and I've met some very smart people. I thinks it's the same way all across the board, no matter what you listen to. In general, I have noticed that metalheads in my area tend to be a bit smarter but it doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else. I've been to other places and it's just really a mixed bag. Also as a side note: when I say smarter, I mean they can be academically smart, make good life-altering desicions or just street smart or a mix of all 3.

Unless you're a crustie, then you're just stupid. Who the fuck becomes homeless voluntarily?
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
19.09.2009 - 23:03
GamlaSonn
No i dont think metallers are more intelligent than anyone else. Perhaps more intelligent "musically"
21.09.2009 - 02:21
ToMegaTherion
Intelligence is something that is very difficult and complex to calculate, let alone to attribute it to a particular type of music. While I would agree that a high percentage of metalheads that i know are in university, that it largely due to the fact that i too am in university so its not a very good example.

So in short I agree with @GamlaSonn "Perhaps more intelligent 'musically'" but that is about it I think.
24.09.2009 - 19:44
petrawks
Gotta love Psychostick fans

Psychotrip of some dedicated fans with wayyy too much time on their hands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJ2uO4Wg7g
24.09.2009 - 20:54
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Ag Fox on 04.09.2009 at 21:50

well... music complexity can be found on plenty of classical music (Bach fugues anyone?), so those who enjoy and understand classical music do seem to show the tendency of being smarter than the norm. Also, many studies have shown brian stimulatory effects when listening to classical music and increases the left-right brain coordination.

An interesting thing i've noticed is that Classical music fans are most likely to also enjoy Metal! seriousely, the two may seem poles apart but...
A friend of mine who's a big classical music fan is the ONLY one who really appriciated Metal when i introduced some stuff. Not being like: "Oh, how could i miss this for so long! fuck Classical lets get into this instead"...haha. I'm talking about appriciation, you know...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
24.09.2009 - 23:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by MetallicA on 19.09.2009 at 22:23

I don't think there's a direct correlation to intelligence and metal heads. I've met some fucking retards and I've met some very smart people. I thinks it's the same way all across the board, no matter what you listen to. In general, I have noticed that metalheads in my area tend to be a bit smarter but it doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else. I've been to other places and it's just really a mixed bag. Also as a side note: when I say smarter, I mean they can be academically smart, make good life-altering desicions or just street smart or a mix of all 3.

Unless you're a crustie, then you're just stupid. Who the fuck becomes homeless voluntarily?

lol depends what you listen, what it means?

Well if what genre then from expieriuence doom metal fans are more inteligent how others, less is core fans, its from my personal expierience
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.09.2009 - 23:35
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 24.09.2009 at 20:54

An interesting thing i've noticed is that Classical music fans are most likely to also enjoy Metal! seriousely, the two may seem poles apart but...

But they aren't; that's the thing. A lot of metal is influenced by Classical music... and jazz. I'm pretty sure I've said that somewhere on this thread.
26.09.2009 - 19:00
Written by GamlaSonn on 19.09.2009 at 23:03

No i dont think metallers are more intelligent than anyone else. Perhaps more intelligent "musically"

Actually, the majority I can turn around and show you that not all of them are musically intelligent.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
27.09.2009 - 01:00
GamlaSonn
Mkay
27.09.2009 - 01:06
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by GamlaSonn on 27.09.2009 at 01:00

Mkay

27.09.2009 - 06:02
FOOCK Nam
Well, I think metal fans are more intelligent, but more than average person, I am not sure. The thing I realize is metal heads DARE to throw themselves in Negativity, or at least based on my own metal experiecen. But if comparing to almost other people, some metalheads are very retard to all other, even below average ppl, I think.
27.09.2009 - 11:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Mkay

and what it supose to mean?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2009 - 04:03
GamlaSonn
Written by Bad English on 27.09.2009 at 11:17

Mkay

and what it supose to mean?

nothing.. I replied to let him know I read what he said, but didnt have anything constructive to add
17.10.2009 - 15:58
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
I dont think so ..its differ from a person to another ...so it differs from a metalhead to another thats the way !! u can find an intelligent metalhead and u can find either a stupid fucked head !!
In some reasons ...i say those metalheads with a veteran career in the field who knows what metal music is about and what have to lisen and have to not !! well many of those i can say they got a real great mind and intelligence and also class life and soul , we cant find in any reguler person exsicting in this world !! and im sure of what im saying in this point
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
17.10.2009 - 22:18
Evil Chip
I dom't think metalheads are more inteligent than other people. I would say that metalheads tend to search more for knowledge than the avarege people. But that has nothing to do with intelligence. Maybe wisdom, but not intelligence. Someone who reads a lot can be as stupid as a christian fanatic.
19.10.2009 - 18:54
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I think metal fans are at least more willing to explore the dark side of music culture.
22.10.2009 - 09:06
Does music determine intelligence?

My mate's a genius and a total metalhead. But I know some pretty retarded metalheads as well.

In short, I have very little to contribute to this discussion. There are interesting trends with music though... like nymphos tending towards jazz music... but thats a rumour so, yeah... I wouldn't quote me on that. And I'm sure we've all heard that metal makes you more depressed. Interesting discussion.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
22.10.2009 - 11:31
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Entropic Silence on 22.10.2009 at 09:06

like nymphos tending towards jazz music... but thats a rumour so, yeah... I wouldn't quote me on that.

Not sure with what that has to do with intelligence, BUT... I'm not a hypersexual, but a slick sax solo *does* get me a bit hot.
22.10.2009 - 11:41
Yea... unfortunately I can't play decent jazz for crap although I've been trying to learn how.
Just thought there was a parallel in the idea that the music that someone listens to determines their behaviour... might even be able to find a link to an article somewhere, bear with me...
----
22.10.2009 - 11:55
----
22.10.2009 - 14:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Entropic Silence on 22.10.2009 at 11:55

Boom. This type of thing. Btw I its a load of crap.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/heavy_metal_music_linked_to_teenage_depression.html

Always funny those sorts of articles.
Back when I was a teenager all the teenage metalheads I knew weren't depressed at all. The depressed teenagers listened to other music. And this trend I still see around me today.
But maybe it's due listening to metal that we weren't/aren't depressed?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2009 - 22:49
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.10.2009 at 14:02

Written by Entropic Silence on 22.10.2009 at 11:55

Boom. This type of thing. Btw I its a load of crap.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/heavy_metal_music_linked_to_teenage_depression.html

Always funny those sorts of articles.
Back when I was a teenager all the teenage metalheads I knew weren't depressed at all. The depressed teenagers listened to other music. And this trend I still see around me today.
But maybe it's due listening to metal that we weren't/aren't depressed?

I've always thought that things like music usually only *amplify* one's mood. Like if you're already sad, and you listen to depressing music... You'll just be more depressed. I listen to Shining when I'm in a perfectly good mood, and it doesn't change my mood at all.
23.10.2009 - 11:45
Actually when i'm angry or frustrated I listen to Meshuggah's Straws Pulled at Random. My anger gets satisfied by the frenetic and insane first half, then the second half calms me down. It works like soap. That will make more sense to those of you that know how soap works. Let me know if you don't. We'll sort it out.
----
22.05.2010 - 21:43
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I don't think metal fans are more or less intelligent than anyone else and like all other people there is a wide range of intelligence. I've met some very intelligent metal fans, while I've met metal fans that are borderline retarded.
26.05.2010 - 17:51
SerratedSyringe
I would say that the metal fanbase as a whole is a lot more open minded than most people; this means that they are generally more receptive to facts especially regarding controversial issues. This receptiveness can make metal fans seem more intelligent because of their proficiency in arguments and abstract thought, however these attributes are not directly reflective of intelligence.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
26.05.2010 - 18:02
Mikyz
Not necessarily more intelligent but rather like people said before me much more open minded to certain delicate issues, so we always take the correct stand in some situations and we are actually aware of what is important or not. Namely, our future. So we sure as hell should not be regarded as Drop outs or whatever but as normal people with more freedom, balls, and most importantly aware of the misconceptions and malformations of the world. Yup, we're pretty deep people, far from being idiots, so I think that we are more aware than the average people rather than more intelligent.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
29.05.2010 - 00:36
Grody2themax
I would disagree that metalheads are more intelligent, or born more intelligent. Its just that I think metal is a way for us to be different than the mass of people who become corporate zombies that dont examine life as much as your average metalhead. Im not saying metal is all serious and we need to listen to metal and philosophize...but metal does cause me to think, and of course not really think and just have a good time a lot too.
29.05.2010 - 07:07
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I Think metal heads can be better with picking out detail, wanting more to music and generally do have some more original thoughts than most. I don't know if I can say more intelligent but I can say that they're more pickey/particular (Depends on how they send it out to people) about thing they like and generally aren't afraid to stand for an opinion.
----
10.06.2010 - 12:56
busta5000
Account deleted
Actually I think metal fans are average people because average people like to fans of music no matter what genre are they following.

It depends on the level for example I think a guy who has all collection of T-shirts cups etc now that guy is really dumb & below average.

but if your like me for instance who just is a fan of the music & the band for their music & not their personal lives then yes you are intelligent if you do other stuff like reading books & sports etc I mean not metal all the time.