Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
02.06.2008 - 23:14
Freezer
Written by Dagorwen on 30.05.2008 at 21:01

Well, as girls are often educated in a culture that want them to be soft, gentle, passive etc... they are fewer among metalheads, i think it's no kind of "female nature" but only education and civilization that give them a role to play since birth.

When I'm growling, my mum always says "don't do that, don't you want to be a girl anymore? why are you denying your female nature? there's no point in imitating the boys" what singularly piss me off. At least, it's a progress since the first times and the hysterical "stop it! you seem to be possessed!"
yes, this surely is one of the biggest reasons. Cultural impositions (on every side) play a heavy role on how the "metalhead" (or whatever) is viewed by everybody else
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
02.06.2008 - 23:43
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
to be honest i dont really know, but i dont see why it should matter.

most girls i know like the metalcore and emo side of metal, and find it unusual that i listen to extreme metal. in a way it spurs me on to find the most evil and extreme band i can just to shock...i know i shouldn't but i do do that sometimes...i just love the look on peoples faces when i say i like akercocke or some band with a weird name like anal cunt!

i have realised however that alot of guys who listen to heavy metal (not all) have girlfriends who hate it...i wonder why that is?
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
03.06.2008 - 02:17
DorianGray
hmm well I think its pretty even here in the netherlands
my ex listnens to gorgoroth , cannibal corpse and all other loud and heavy metal
----
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
03.06.2008 - 12:19
owl
Written by Dagorwen on 02.06.2008 at 13:47

excellent!!! it's perhaps the reason for the bm panda paintface too... their girlfriends where quite bad teachers though...
I had never heard that expression before, but it's effin' brilliant! Suits corpse paint to a tee!

On topic: the other day I attended a festival (just a small town local thingy), and there were around 100 people in the audience. Half of them were band members, but hey. But for the first time I noticed there were more or less as many girls as there were boys. I don't think I had ever seen that before... Ok, many of them were only girlfriends keeping company to their guys, but still...
----
03.06.2008 - 13:47
TheBigRossowski
Written by Necrogeddon on 02.06.2008 at 23:43

to be honest i dont really know, but i dont see why it should matter.

most girls i know like the metalcore and emo side of metal, and find it unusual that i listen to extreme metal. in a way it spurs me on to find the most evil and extreme band i can just to shock...i know i shouldn't but i do do that sometimes...i just love the look on peoples faces when i say i like akercocke or some band with a weird name like anal cunt!

i have realised however that alot of guys who listen to heavy metal (not all) have girlfriends who hate it...i wonder why that is?

Tisk, tisk, there is no shock value in Satan, Sex or Death any more. Maybe if you're walking in a small town, but more or less people are coming around to accept this behavior/lifestyle/attitude, whatever.

My wife isn't a big fan of metal, but she likes some black metal surprisingly. She attends the shows with me too, but I think its to make sure I'm not looking at big, black metal asses...haha
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.06.2008 - 18:29
Dagorwen
Written by owl on 03.06.2008 at 12:19

I had never heard that expression before

well, I found they were soooo serious with their necro looks "I'm eviler than you" that it deserved a funnier name than "corpse paint"... now I'm calling the truer-than-you bm guys "dark pandas"

and I do love owls! I have an owl collection! (tremendously interesting, isn't it?)

and for the topic (ahem) if the metal public is geting more and more equaly composed of boys and girls, the metal scene (above all the bm, indus, thrash) is still very masuline (yes, there is Angela, and two or three other girls... but it's still rare)
04.06.2008 - 19:06
Freezer
Written by Dagorwen on 04.06.2008 at 18:29

well, I found they were soooo serious with their necro looks "I'm eviler than you" that it deserved a funnier name than "corpse paint"... now I'm calling the truer-than-you bm guys "dark pandas"

and I do love owls! I have an owl collection! (tremendously interesting, isn't it?)

and for the topic (ahem) if the metal public is geting more and more equaly composed of boys and girls, the metal scene (above all the bm, indus, thrash) is still very masuline (yes, there is Angela, and two or three other girls... but it's still rare)
It's true, usually girls cover the vocalist role. I have to say that there are some exceptions but, as you said, it's very rare (I'm thinking of Samantha Escarbe, for example)
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
06.06.2008 - 00:57
Gordon Freeman
Written by Freezer on 04.06.2008 at 19:06

Written by Dagorwen on 04.06.2008 at 18:29

It's true, usually girls cover the vocalist role. I have to say that there are some exceptions but, as you said, it's very rare (I'm thinking of Samantha Escarbe, for example)

Except in extreme metal bands...then they're usually the bassist (rarely the keyboards for those bands that actually use them.)
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
06.06.2008 - 06:07
Conservationist
Metal is gnarly, masculine, assertive, vir-driven music -- of course it's going to attract more men. Women can be introduced to it and can like it, but it seems less of a natural inclination.
06.06.2008 - 15:00
Dagorwen
it is absolutely natural for womens, what's unnatural is the fact that there are more metalhead boys than girls, what you call "masculine" is a cultural system of qualities, it doesn't concern the "nature" but the way we educate the children!
06.06.2008 - 19:36
Conservationist
I agree what I call masculine is a cultural system of qualities, but your nurture/nature argument is incoherent to me. In addition to these cultural values, metal expresses them in a masculine way. I don't believe that's a nurture issue.
09.06.2008 - 09:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dagorwen on 06.06.2008 at 15:00

it is absolutely natural for womens, what's unnatural is the fact that there are more metalhead boys than girls, what you call "masculine" is a cultural system of qualities, it doesn't concern the "nature" but the way we educate the children!

educate childern, whit metal and alcohol, frem early days, better my child be alcoholic how non metalhead who lsiten hip hop and go and joun to gang , but I complitly hate kids and I wont be father
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2008 - 13:04
Dagorwen
yeah, pygmalionism is great!
18.06.2008 - 19:58
FoxZdemoN
Well..as a girl..i can say this without being a total asshole..but anyways...most chicks are annoying retards that try to be accepted into anything popular.. hence..the growing popularity of metal accompanied by the growing number of "metal chicks". Of course some chicks have metal in their blood. But others just wanna be accepted into a group. Metal boys being so cute is probly another culprit
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
18.06.2008 - 20:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FoxZdemoN on 18.06.2008 at 19:58

Well..as a girl..i can say this without being a total asshole..but anyways...most chicks are annoying retards that try to be accepted into anything popular.. hence..the growing popularity of metal accompanied by the growing number of "metal chicks". Of course some chicks have metal in their blood. But others just wanna be accepted into a group. Metal boys being so cute is probly another culprit

about getting and being popular, guys has same proble, but soemhow guys more follow to not so popular thinks how girls, dont know why
----

20.06.2008 - 16:00
Dagorwen
I'm stupid... but is a "chick" just a girl or has the word a connotation like "bitch" or "slut" or "girly girl"?
20.06.2008 - 17:46
Candlemass
Defaeco
@Dagorwen
Yeah it does.

Metal is macho... Metal is violent mostly and aggressive, wrath.
Not for most woman, not in our culture today.
20.06.2008 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dagorwen on 20.06.2008 at 16:00

I'm stupid... but is a "chick" just a girl or has the world a connotation like "bitch" or "slut" or "girly girl"?

yes it is and thats why I dont use ''chick'' when talk about girl, always litraly
----

20.06.2008 - 20:49
owl
Written by Bad English on 20.06.2008 at 18:10

I'm stupid... but is a "chick" just a girl or has the world a connotation like "bitch" or "slut" or "girly girl"?

yes it is and thats why I dont use ''chick'' when talk about girl, always litraly

Funny, I always thought that "chick" meant a young girl. I never gave it a rude meaning.
----
20.06.2008 - 20:59
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by owl on 20.06.2008 at 20:49

Funny, I always thought that "chick" meant a young girl. I never gave it a rude meaning.

Here we say "Kos-sit".
Which "Kos" means (In Hebrew slang and Arabic slang) female sex organ.
"sit" is just adding it as turning it into an adjective.

So chick sounds pretty decent next to it...
20.06.2008 - 21:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by owl on 20.06.2008 at 20:49

sometimes its not, it depends of contest, if guys talking whit fiew drinks about girls, maybe its not rude meaning, but some cases can be, but im not from UK so cant explain good
----

20.06.2008 - 22:21
Dagorwen
ok thanks for helping me to improve my English ^^
so, I assume there is no metal "chick": metalhead girls are proud and mighty wariors, not "chicks", tssss tsss!

edit: I've an idea, you could call the metal grirls "walkyries" ^^
22.06.2008 - 14:04
LilMariah
Account deleted
Warriors? Valkyries? Oh nooo..
22.06.2008 - 15:08
Dagorwen
hehe... but still "God save the clichés!"
23.06.2008 - 10:27
owl
Written by Dagorwen on 20.06.2008 at 22:21

For those who are into power metal, maybe.

Not for me, though.
----
23.06.2008 - 18:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by owl on 23.06.2008 at 10:27

Written by Dagorwen on 20.06.2008 at 22:21

For those who are into power metal, maybe.

Not for me, though.

No not power but epic folk, viking and black
----

24.06.2008 - 00:28
Buggy
Account deleted
Written by Conservationist on 06.06.2008 at 19:36

I agree what I call masculine is a cultural system of qualities, but your nurture/nature argument is incoherent to me. In addition to these cultural values, metal expresses them in a masculine way. I don't believe that's a nurture issue.

It may be just me, but seems like you are the one looking incoherent here. You say masculinity is a cultural construct and right after that you contradict that by saying it's not a nurture issue... Clarify?
24.06.2008 - 22:44
owl
Written by Bad English on 23.06.2008 at 18:15

Oh true, I forgot those. Ma bad.
Still, I can't say I feel very... er... "walkyr'ish" when I listen to Black Metal.
----
24.06.2008 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by owl on 24.06.2008 at 22:44

Written by Bad English on 23.06.2008 at 18:15

Oh true, I forgot those. Ma bad.
Still, I can't say I feel very... er... "walkyr'ish" when I listen to Black Metal.

then you shood be onluy black metal only balk to be valkiry
----

25.06.2008 - 03:04
supersoad1
Account deleted
this really is a good question