Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
17.11.2008 - 03:42
Hrothdane
I'm not just going to concerts to listen to the music; I'm going to see the band. Possibly my favorite show was gamma ray and helloween b/c they really made the concert fun with their banter and interactions with the crowd. Michael made Andi Deris teach the audience curse words in german and Kai Hansen had funny lead-ins to songs.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
17.11.2008 - 14:08
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 17.11.2008 at 03:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2008 at 02:55

I am also not interested in the chit chat by bigger bands. 95% of those bands have nothing interesting to say anyway. They are musicians and should stick to playing music on stage. If I want their opinion, or whatever, on anything I'll interview them.

I agree to an extent, I hate cliche stage banter that every band says "Its good to be back in _____!" and all that kind of crap. But when a big band actually has something bizarre or funny to say (Mikael Akerfeldt is really good at this) it makes it interesting. Memorable stage banter is usually nice. I hate when bands just come on, play through their songs and leave without any talking to the crowd at all.

I agree that no talking at all makes the concert too boring, but yes it's annoying if they tell a life story between every song. Just a few lines now and then is perfect.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.11.2008 - 23:24
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

But when a big band actually has something bizarre or funny to say (Mikael Akerfeldt is really good at this) it makes it interesting. Memorable stage banter is usually nice.

Yeah, I liked his whole "this next song is about DEATH... again" thing he did when I saw them.
09.12.2008 - 03:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just me who loves their B-side "That Girl"? I've loved that song for almost six years now. It's without doubt their cheeziest moment, but it's sooo catchy!
----
09.12.2008 - 14:23
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by GT on 17.11.2008 at 14:08

I am also not interested in the chit chat by bigger bands. 95% of those bands have nothing interesting to say anyway. They are musicians and should stick to playing music on stage. If I want their opinion, or whatever, on anything I'll interview them.

I agree to an extent, I hate cliche stage banter that every band says "Its good to be back in _____!" and all that kind of crap. But when a big band actually has something bizarre or funny to say (Mikael Akerfeldt is really good at this) it makes it interesting. Memorable stage banter is usually nice. I hate when bands just come on, play through their songs and leave without any talking to the crowd at all.

I agree that no talking at all makes the concert too boring, but yes it's annoying if they tell a life story between every song. Just a few lines now and then is perfect.

I agree. I like it when they throw in a bit of comedy to liven the show.
11.12.2008 - 10:50
Saitenhexerin
Written by Warman on 09.12.2008 at 03:24

Just me who loves their B-side "That Girl"? I've loved that song for almost six years now. It's without doubt their cheeziest moment, but it's sooo catchy!

No me too!!!
It is so great, i think one of their best B-Sides!! A lil' cheezy is no crime
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
13.12.2008 - 20:45
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 11.12.2008 at 10:50

No me too!!!

Honestly, I can't say that I enjoy that cover too much, but their Jethro Tull cover, Cross-Eyed Mary, has to be one of the best covers I've ever heard. The way that Bruce sings it gives it this almost humorous intensity compared to the original.
13.12.2008 - 23:05
Saitenhexerin
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.12.2008 at 20:45

No me too!!!

Honestly, I can't say that I enjoy that cover too much, but their Jethro Tull cover, Cross-Eyed Mary, has to be one of the best covers I've ever heard. The way that Bruce sings it gives it this almost humorous intensity compared to the original.

Cross-Eyed Mary is also a very good one! I just do not really like the Communication Breakdown version...Bruce sings it quite good, but somethiing is missing...
----
14.12.2008 - 09:39
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 13.12.2008 at 23:05

No me too!!!

Cross-Eyed Mary is also a very good one! I just do not really like the Communication Breakdown version...Bruce sings it quite good, but somethiing is missing...

I'll tell you what it's missing... JIMMY PAGE. Honestly though, Communication Breakdown and Immigrant Song are the only songs I think would suit Maiden for covering... Too bad they never covered Immigrant Song.

I can't wait for Maiden to release new stuff. A Matter of Life and Death isn't tiding me over like Dance of Death and Brave New World have/did.
14.12.2008 - 11:33
Hrothdane
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.12.2008 at 09:39

Written by Saitenhexerin on 13.12.2008 at 23:05

No me too!!!

Too bad they never covered Immigrant Song.

That would be cool, but it would be hard to beat the Demons and Wizards cover.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
15.12.2008 - 07:28
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 14.12.2008 at 11:33

That would be cool, but it would be hard to beat the Demons and Wizards cover.

Yeah, that is a great cover. One of my favorites. It's a little different from the original, but still awesome.
20.12.2008 - 09:26
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
I'm just gonna throw this out there:

Moonchild has to be Bruce's best vocal performance. He sounds so SINISTER!
23.12.2008 - 10:07
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Actually I'm not a big fan of Moonchild. Sure Bruce sings good, but I just don't like, well almost everything in that song
----

23.12.2008 - 10:17
mortjoyeux
Written by GT on 23.12.2008 at 10:07

Actually I'm not a big fan of Moonchild. Sure Bruce sings good, but I just don't like, well almost everything in that song

I actually agree with this..Moonchild is just boring for me.
23.12.2008 - 10:19
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Well I wouldn't call it boring. It just have something that doesn't appeal to me I guess
----

23.12.2008 - 10:21
mortjoyeux
Meh.
I only like the riffs in that song.
I just don't get a rush of excitement when I listen to it that I normally get from maiden.
24.12.2008 - 08:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Moonchild is actually a great listen for me. It's just SO epic. lolz.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
24.12.2008 - 20:55
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by GT on 23.12.2008 at 10:07

I felt that way when I saw it performed live... it sounded really different to me.

Still though... I fucking love the song. "Hear the mandrake SCREEEEEEAAAAAAAAMMMMM!!!"
08.01.2009 - 16:22
MeloDeathViking
Written by Dark Cornatus on 09.12.2008 at 14:23

Written by GT on 17.11.2008 at 14:08

I agree. I like it when they throw in a bit of comedy to liven the show.

Bruce is awesome on stage, when I saw them he went off on a couple of rants about record labels and stuff, it was hilarious.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
08.01.2009 - 17:13
Saitenhexerin
Bruce reallly rules on that topic...
I collect Iron Maiden Bootlegs and there are some, that always could kill me!
Ever heard about the Cheese shop incident? Or how he proves that he can sing more than 2 notes...
sometimes I really regret that i am so young and never had the chance to go to one of their concerts in the 80s...
----
08.01.2009 - 22:49
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.01.2009 at 17:13

Bruce reallly rules on that topic...
I collect Iron Maiden Bootlegs and there are some, that always could kill me!
Ever heard about the Cheese shop incident? Or how he proves that he can sing more than 2 notes...
sometimes I really regret that i am so young and never had the chance to go to one of their concerts in the 80s...

He still rolls out the funny stuff now. I like how during the last tour, before the encore, he started going on about how the lights wouldn't turn off on the stage, so they might as well play a few more songs. It was one of the most awkward introduction to an encore I've ever seen!
26.01.2009 - 01:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
26.01.2009 - 03:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 26.01.2009 at 01:02

UNLIKELY: Miley Cyrus is an Iron Maiden fan

LOL:
"'Run to the Hills,' good song, you guys should check it out."

Never heard of it.

Almost as bad as this
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.01.2009 - 03:54
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2009 at 03:37

LOL:

Never heard of it.

Almost as bad as this

David Beckhamm once was seen waering an Exodus shirt. when people asked him if he liked the band he said "no" he was only wearing it as a fad. what a fucking tool
----
Coldgrits
26.01.2009 - 04:02
Thrashard
Written by -DC-002- on 26.01.2009 at 03:54

Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2009 at 03:37

LOL:

Never heard of it.

Almost as bad as this

David Beckhamm once was seen waering an Exodus shirt. when people asked him if he liked the band he said "no" he was only wearing it as a fad. what a fucking tool

Out of extreme boredom and curiosity, I found him wearing the shirt. link WHAT A FUCKING POSER.
26.01.2009 - 04:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 26.01.2009 at 03:54

3 years ago it was the hip thing to wear Ramones and Misfits t-shirts without knowing anything about the bands, now its hip to wear metal t-shirts. Luckily this fad will change hands in a few months and they'll piss all over another once sacred corner of rock. Don't think about this topic too much, these thoughts have agitated me into sleepless nights many 'a time.
----
- George Carlin
27.01.2009 - 00:25
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
I saw this Justin Timberlake video with some hot chick wearing a Purgatory shirt. I can't seem to find it... because I can't remember the name of the song... nor do I care to.
29.01.2009 - 10:11
The Butt
Account deleted
I'm gonna prepare myself for some heavy flaming here... hopefully that doesn't happen, but what evs.

I actually don't care for a lot of Iron Maiden, tbh. I like a few songs (Powerslave, Aces High, Hallowed be thy Name, etc), but for the most part, I just don't like NWOBHM in general, really. I respect them immensely as being influential though.
31.01.2009 - 04:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
31.01.2009 - 04:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Part of me wants to trash that hotel out of principle.
----
- George Carlin