Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
10.09.2008 - 18:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.09.2008 at 17:40

Written by Anathemani@c on 09.09.2008 at 23:37

I just have to underline that their newest album was much better than the previous one... I didnt enjoy ghost reveries finally... I think it missed something...???:erm:

Woaaaa... First people I remember who shares my opinion about GH.
I think that's the worst cd by Opeth. I don't feel anithing while listening to it. Don't know why...

I think its because in previous albums they were able to create atmospheres based mostly around the guitar/guitar effects. Whereas the last one it seemed they took a shortcut by adding in keyboards. I know I hear keyboards in a lot of early stuff, but its mostly used to boost production values a little bit, as many bands will do that (add in keyboards that are barely audible to the untrained ear). So when the keyboards were added in, sure there were some great tracks, but it felt really dry and kind of....passionless? (lack of a better word). They improved it in their newest one, but I doubt I'll ever hear the greatness of "Still Life" again.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.09.2008 - 14:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 10.09.2008 at 18:33

I think its because in previous albums they were able to create atmospheres based mostly around the guitar/guitar effects. Whereas the last one it seemed they took a shortcut by adding in keyboards. I know I hear keyboards in a lot of early stuff, but its mostly used to boost production values a little bit, as many bands will do that (add in keyboards that are barely audible to the untrained ear). So when the keyboards were added in, sure there were some great tracks, but it felt really dry and kind of....passionless? (lack of a better word). They improved it in their newest one, but I doubt I'll ever hear the greatness of "Still Life" again.

Yeah... I think tha samer... it can be the keyboards :
I agree on the other point.... Opeth would never be the band that I used to listen in the beginning. That's a fact evenm if I like the new album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.09.2008 - 18:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.09.2008 at 14:46

Written by Doc G. on 10.09.2008 at 18:33

Yeah... I think tha samer... it can be the keyboards :
I agree on the other point.... Opeth would never be the band that I used to listen in the beginning. That's a fact evenm if I like the new album.

Me as well. Then again it might also because the older albums have sentimental value for me, listening to Still Life really brings me back to a great time in my life, the new albums lack those memories tied to it I guess.
----
- George Carlin
12.09.2008 - 16:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 11.09.2008 at 18:26

Me as well. Then again it might also because the older albums have sentimental value for me, listening to Still Life really brings me back to a great time in my life, the new albums lack those memories tied to it I guess.

Mmmm, I'm kinda jealous, since Opeth is one of my favorites bands but I don't recall personal memories while listening to the music. But I do feel their music a lot.

Talking about something else:
I'm a bit pissed off right now. I was on a topic about metal in a general forum that I use to visit and I was suddenly commenting about Mikael that did the vocals on the second cd by Katatonia [great album btw...] and after my message a girl said that she disliked Opeth very much since it was horrible how great growls were mixed with clean vocals that were so emo.

I mean... WTF?! Have you guys hear emo music? I did and it was shit... but nothing compared to the clean vocals that Mikael does. I have seen a lot of people that really hates Opeth's music, from the total beginning. I just don't know why. It's ok to not like it, but C'mon... the great music/vocal quality is fucking undeniable!
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2008 - 16:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2008 at 16:05

Written by Doc G. on 11.09.2008 at 18:26

Mmmm, I'm kinda jealous, since Opeth is one of my favorites bands but I don't recall personal memories while listening to the music. But I do feel their music a lot.

Talking about something else:
I'm a bit pissed off right now. I was on a topic about metal in a general forum that I use to visit and I was suddenly commenting about Mikael that did the vocals on the second cd by Katatonia [great album btw...] and after my message a girl said that she disliked Opeth very much since it was horrible how great growls were mixed with clean vocals that were so emo.

I mean... WTF?! Have you guys hear emo music? I did and it was shit... but nothing compared to the clean vocals that Mikael does. I have seen a lot of people that really hates Opeth's music, from the total beginning. I just don't know why. It's ok to not like it, but C'mon... the great music/vocal quality is fucking undeniable!

It's plain silly to say that about Mikael, anyone with a good head on their shoulders would agree to that.

But people say all kinds of things, why should we pay attention to them?
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 12.09.2008 at 16:45

It's plain silly to say that about Mikael, anyone with a good head on their shoulders would agree to that.

But people say all kinds of things, why should we pay attention to them?

I know what you mean, and the last thing I want to be is a blind fanboy. I'm just sick of the persons who are so ignorant.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2008 - 17:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hera new album finaly
Realy I like it better how Ghoust Reviaries, this is better, but I like those calm parts, where he use vocals, calm vocals , remainds me old Opeth, soemthing here is from firts Opeth album too, realy good album, maybe mnot best but its one of best albums in 2008 no doubt
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2008 - 17:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Glad you like it sakis Absolutely a great album. I'm glad a lot of people see that.
----

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 17:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 12.09.2008 at 17:44

Glad you like it sakis Absolutely a great album. I'm glad a lot of people see that.

I like it but it isnt like old albums too its about 70% perfect, IMO Opeth need brake for soem years for realise good album, and female becking vocals in opening song was good
----

12.09.2008 - 21:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think it was an excellent idea to have female vocals on that song, it totally took the song to a new level. It was a very smart move and it just shows that Opeth know what they are doing.

Yes, we won't have Still Life 2 and I don't want Still Life 2, i'd rather have something new, fresh and inspired like what I got with "Watershed".
----

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 12.09.2008 at 21:28

I think it was an excellent idea to have female vocals on that song, it totally took the song to a new level. It was a very smart move and it just shows that Opeth know what they are doing.

Yes, we won't have Still Life 2 and I don't want Still Life 2, i'd rather have something new, fresh and inspired like what I got with "Watershed".

Yes good idea, and IMO tahy try criate something, this time it comes from heart, last album sounds tahy do it because thay waanna do, but heart was emty, or maybe thay wanna experments there,this is good album indeed, even moust people will ovareted it but still its good
----

12.09.2008 - 22:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I agree... The last album actually seems very fresh sounding.

It was the prove that I needed... Now I see again why Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever. Even if the vocals sounds emo [Damn you ignorant bitch...]
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2008 - 22:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2008 at 22:24

It was the prove that I needed... Now I see again why Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever. Even if the vocals sounds emo [Damn you ignorant bitch...]

emo vocals man emo never will reach such level and age, you know suicide, im emo, I wanna die, but in this album vocals is good, like in ewery album, real profs
----

13.09.2008 - 01:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 12.09.2008 at 22:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2008 at 22:24

emo vocals man emo never will reach such level and age, you know suicide, im emo, I wanna die, but in this album vocals is good, like in ewery album, real profs

Well.. I should read what I wrote before... It's about a chic that hated Opeth because the clean vocals sounded Emo...
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.09.2008 - 02:07
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...well the truth is i haven't heard opeth...i heard a couple of songs long time ago and didnt like them...a friend just brought me all their albums and i promised i would give them a try, so i'll tell u later what i think of them...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
13.09.2008 - 16:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by nana.MD on 13.09.2008 at 02:07

hmm...well the truth is i haven't heard opeth...i heard a couple of songs long time ago and didnt like them...a friend just brought me all their albums and i promised i would give them a try, so i'll tell u later what i think of them...

If you like Death Metal as you have writed soemtimes.. I suggest you From Orchid to Still Life. The rest is up to you maybe I hope you like it.

Orchid might be the most "brutal" album though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.09.2008 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.09.2008 at 16:18

It is man, it is listen it somehow it remainds me lil Krisiun soemthing like such brutality in vocals how BDM bands has, and in taht album isnt calm and slow parts of songs, if i remeber correct
----

13.09.2008 - 17:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, Mikael's vocals on Orchid scratch black metal at times, completly agree.
----

My Instagram
13.09.2008 - 19:07
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bad English on 13.09.2008 at 16:31

It is man, it is listen it somehow it remainds me lil Krisiun soemthing like such brutality in vocals how BDM bands has, and in taht album isnt calm and slow parts of songs, if i remeber correct

So what albums of Opeth you think calm and slow as reverse of Orchid, concretely?
13.09.2008 - 19:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.09.2008 at 19:07

So what albums of Opeth you think calm and slow as reverse of Orchid, concretely?

Liesten all albums whit out Orchid, there be some calm vocal parts into music, it isnt so extreme
----

14.09.2008 - 11:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.09.2008 at 19:07

Well, theres Damnation, which is entirely acoustic with no death growls, all soft little ballad type songs which I found incredibly boring but a lot of people seem to love it.
----
- George Carlin
14.09.2008 - 11:44
FOOCK Nam
Thanks for the info. I own Still Life, and to me its so heavy and extreme, brutal even they also used clean vocal as part with growl vocal. One song is entirely clean vocal with acoustic. To be honest, Im not much appeal by that album
14.09.2008 - 18:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.09.2008 at 11:44

Thanks for the info. I own Still Life, and to me its so heavy and extreme, brutal even they also used clean vocal as part with growl vocal. One song is entirely clean vocal with acoustic. To be honest, Im not much appeal by that album

If you think that Still Life was too brutal and Extreme... I don't really think there's another album that we can recommend you. Damnation doesn't count that much since it's a pure ballad album so to speak.

You can maybe listen to their two latest albums... though I don't really like them that much. Specially GR that was one of the worst letdowns in my life and Watershed was fortunately a better one.

mmmm Now that I'm thinking of it, you can also try Blackwater Park. That album is more calm and it has the sound that I love from Opeth
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.09.2008 - 19:03
FOOCK Nam
Well, I think Still Life is fast rather than calm. As for other, I prefer My Arms, Your Hearse, I love the song Demon Of The Falls. Totally doom influence in that song, though I have not got around so much other songs in My Arms, Your Hearse. Ghost Reverie is too much fast and "jazzly" for me.
14.09.2008 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.09.2008 at 19:03

Well, I think Still Life is fast rather than calm. As for other, I prefer My Arms, Your Hearse, I love the song Demon Of The Falls. Totally doom influence in that song, though I have not got around so much other songs in My Arms, Your Hearse. Ghost Reverie is too much fast and "jazzly" for me.

Mmmm, If you liked Demon of The Fall [something funny as I view it as one of the most brutal tracks done by the band] then I guess that you will love MAYH... It's really a good album. I suggest you also my personal favorite, Morningrise. It has the similar sound but more.. Mmmm, How can I say, beautiful? and more doomy maybe. And it has also the song that I love the most: Nectar [Damn... even the name itselfs sounds so sexy]
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2008 - 00:36
nana.MD
Star-Queen

Written by nana.MD on 13.09.2008 at 02:07

If you like Death Metal as you have writed soemtimes.. I suggest you From Orchid to Still Life. The rest is up to you maybe I hope you like it.

ok thanx i will start by this album
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
15.09.2008 - 18:48
FOOCK Nam
Yeah, I heard many good compliment on Morningrise. Surely I check it cuz you said its "beautiful" and "doomy".
19.09.2008 - 02:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.09.2008 at 19:03

Its my first Opeth song , also Window Pain, those 2 songs are my fav of band,s pecely Deamon Of The Fall, and mosut doom influence sin band are band lyrics(not in Ghoust Revaeries) , realy so deep, emeotional and poetical
----

19.09.2008 - 03:47
MortalTheory
Account deleted
i really like Lotus Eater and Blackwater Park.
20.09.2008 - 01:14
Anathemani@c
I started listening to Opeth by Orchid.. Then I saw them live.... It was my first ever concert and it was the tour of damnation and deliverance... To tell the truth I cannot separate none of their alboums till damnation and deliverance.. Their ghost reveries hasnt been any of my favs, but their Watershed alboum seems to be very promising... I think I would recomend Blackwater Park to anyone who hasnt yet listened to Opeth!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???