Metal Storm logo
"True Metal"

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 03.07.2006 - 04:39
A lot of metalheads have been describing and discriminating against bands who they classify as 'true metal' (or 'tr00 metal'). Whilst this is not an actual defined metal sub genre like prog or black metal, I've seen this term used a lot to describe bands from Manowar to Burzum. Some metalheads are quite passionate about this pseudo-tag and have gotten into petty squabbles about what is true and what isn't.

Anyhow, I've decided to question your thoughts on what 'true metal' is or has been described as. There is no real answer so there will be no need to bash or redefine other people's points. What makes a band 'true'? What bands can be considered so? And can a band that has 'sold out' be classed as 'true' as well or do they have to be underground to a certain extent? Do bands belonging in a certain metal subgenre have a better chance of being 'true' than another metal subgenre?

Discuss. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
24.05.2007 - 14:41
rageing atheist
Account deleted
For me "true metal" is just an empty term that people tend do use for all metal bands/styles they like, and I don't see how can anyone take it too seriously. I mean is music meant to be judged on how "metal" it is? I think the quality of music is more important than subjective trappings of labels that peopl use when describing music, for me all metal subgenres help to better describe the bands in question, but have no strict rules. Anyway "true metal" can also be used to distinguish the bands who keep their metal "pure" ie don't bring in influences from other genres, and I see no reason why these kind of bands are better than bands that dare to expand the trappings of genres, whilst remaining true to themselves, not any subjective labels. I agree that Slayer is probably "truer" metal than for example In The Woods..., but does it make Slayer automatically better? I don't think so.
24.05.2007 - 15:09
Ernis
狼獾
For me the term "true metal" or even better..."tro0" metal...is a comic thing...it's used when you want to take some stupid poseur pictures or if you're in a funny mood or try to be cool or if you want to be ironic...I think that the most important is the quality of the music and they the performers take it and the way how the listeners enjoy it....this is more important...expressions like "tro0" have simply become mere stupid cliché words....perhaps they meant something more deeper and.."truer" years ago....but not now....
24.05.2007 - 16:22
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Yes, all that "true metal crusade" seems to be just a shallow pose, though maybe "true metal" once meant
honest pure metal music that comes from your heart and is true to yourself, but I'm too young to know.
26.05.2007 - 14:39
Ernis
狼獾
Exactly....for me...I may not even be a so called "tro0 metal" fan...because I don't most probably listen to bands which are considered "tro0"...I simply listen the music I can get and what I like...one day a 14-15 year old guy came to me and told me "I don't like Metalstorm because it's pointless. Only MAINSTREAM bands are featured there...too few UNDERGROUND bands..."

I don't know...so...sometimes it seems that mainstream=untro0 and underground=tro0....well...for me this attitude is pointless...if the music is good then I'll listen to it no matter if it's underground or mainstream and I would never care what others say about it....
Should I listen to some "underground" one-song-band from village x in county x that managed to make a shitey quality demo tape in their grandmother's cellar amidst jam-jars and tatty boxes.....should I listen to this so called "expectorations recorded on birch bark" to be "tro0"?
26.05.2007 - 21:04
RavenLord
The term 'true metal' is, quite frankly, a ridiculous label. Thinking that your taste in metal, let alone music, is better than anyone else's is perfectly fine, as long as you don't parade it around...forcing it down other people's throats is just immature and idiotic. And yet these 'tr00' metallers would be among the first to complain that Christianity is forced down their throats ('tr00 Xtianity? ).

As I see it, Manowar originated the label with their 'death to false metal' cries, but they were discussing Black/Death metal, as opposed to 'Traditional' Metal. Many metal fans refer to different genres as True Metal. Myself, I just call it good 'old (Classic) Metal, and to hell with the labels. Admittedly, I am a member of 'True Metal Fans' group on last.fm, but that's because it's got a heap of good bands it represents. I would refer to any metal I listen to as 'True metal' myself, if I think it's good. Instead of 'false metal', I prefer to use the new, upcoming label of 'shit'.
----
26.05.2007 - 22:41
Ernis
狼獾
Written by RavenLord on 26.05.2007 at 21:04

The term 'true metal' is, quite frankly, a ridiculous label. Thinking that your taste in metal, let alone music, is better than anyone else's is perfectly fine, as long as you don't parade it around...forcing it down other people's throats is just immature and idiotic. And yet these 'tr00' metallers would be among the first to complain that Christianity is forced down their throats ('tr00 Xtianity? ).

As I see it, Manowar originated the label with their 'death to false metal' cries, but they were discussing Black/Death metal, as opposed to 'Traditional' Metal. Many metal fans refer to different genres as True Metal. Myself, I just call it good 'old (Classic) Metal, and to hell with the labels. Admittedly, I am a member of 'True Metal Fans' group on last.fm, but that's because it's got a heap of good bands it represents. I would refer to any metal I listen to as 'True metal' myself, if I think it's good. Instead of 'false metal', I prefer to use the new, upcoming label of 'shit'.

Go raibh maith'ad...The term "tr00 xtianity" is simply hilarious and brilliant...perhaps I'll start using it
ok...that was a joke in fact...I doubt if I can be considered "tr00 xtian"...anyway....I agree that any metal can be..ahem.."tr00"...this shouldn't be influenced by neither it's popularity nor availability to the masses...(we meet the underground contra mainstream issue again...)
Labels are sometimes actually necessary because metal itself is a diverse field where we can see different musical techniques and different ways of interpretation....labels make it easier for people to define their own preferences concerning this field....
26.05.2007 - 23:11
RavenLord
Written by Ernis on 26.05.2007 at 22:41

Go raibh maith'ad...The term "tr00 xtianity" is simply hilarious and brilliant...perhaps I'll start using it
ok...that was a joke in fact...I doubt if I can be considered "tr00 xtian"...anyway....I agree that any metal can be..ahem.."tr00"...this shouldn't be influenced by neither it's popularity nor availability to the masses...(we meet the underground contra mainstream issue again...)
Labels are sometimes actually necessary because metal itself is a diverse field where we can see different musical techniques and different ways of interpretation....labels make it easier for people to define their own preferences concerning this field....

I used to be obsessed with genres...I would steer clear of anything labelled 'Black Metal' or with 'Antichristian' lyrical themes on Metal-Archives. Now, Myspace and YouTube are my first stops after hearing a band name...usually after their profile listing on M-A. There are simply too many bands that can't be classified, and the constant arguments over what genre Wintersun are or whether Children of Bodom are melodic death metal (for the record...they're not death metal, no more than their influence Stratovarius are).

Consider Primordial. I would agree that they have elements of folk metal and black metal in their music, yet they don't feel constrained to those genres, and they've managed to fit into their own style. Similarly, I don't consider Opeth to be particularly progressive, yet they don't have many death metal trappings anymore, either (some of each genre, perhaps). In these cases, genres are useless...just go by your ears.

I'm generally cautious of any band labelled Melodic Death or Metalcore, though...mainly because they're probably rehashing old At the Gates riffs with Maiden melodies, anyway...
----
24.09.2007 - 10:11
Ellie
Account deleted
I would say that it depends on the band to infer what true metal means..I mean it means something different depending on what band you are talking about.
25.09.2007 - 09:25
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I enjoy this kinda thread , there is no true metal ..... different people different opinion !!

Carry on ....

Now Playing : Sterbend - Intro [Dwelling Lifeless] [02:27m of 03:23m]
30.09.2007 - 04:31
selken
Irreligious
There is no true metal, just true metalheads!!!!
----
30.09.2007 - 10:06
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Okay, so who or what is a true metalhead?
01.10.2007 - 05:30
selken
Irreligious
Written by [user id=23267] on 30.09.2007 at 10:06

Okay, so who or what is a true metalhead?

Simple, is someone who respects metal, and shows pride and happiness for being a metalhead, no matters the trends or if their thoughts are questioned
----
01.10.2007 - 05:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am thinking about forming a False Metal band. I mean, if Metal is about rebellion, how much more Metal would it be to rebel against Metal?
----
(space for rent)
01.10.2007 - 12:49
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Dane Train on 01.10.2007 at 05:44

I am thinking about forming a False Metal band. I mean, if Metal is about rebellion, how much more Metal would it be to rebel against Metal?

Good point
----
THRASH!!!
01.10.2007 - 20:48
Kharn
Account deleted
True metal is such a stupid term. it seems to be a term used to slag off younger metallers into trivium and that wave of stuff. in ten years those people will be slagging whatever is coming out at the time, saying it's not true metal. happens every generation.

I remember back in 1997 thinking that metal was getting shit...soulfly no.1 album and shit like that (Sorry...1998). then coming up for 2000 my fears took life. Bands like papa roach and limp bizkit on the tv and radio constantly. i ripped the fuck out of people for listening to it...now...i believe what you listen to is your choice. it's not for anyone to take the piss out of.

Unless in a joking manner of course...nightwish suck!
01.10.2007 - 21:57
Too many fail.
Written by Dane Train on 01.10.2007 at 05:44

Who ever listens to metal to rebel is a cock. What kind of a retarded reason is that. And besides how rebellious is it to hear different sounds that the general population with silly lyrics that almost no one in their right mind finds offensive these days. Maybe this rebel attitude is what makes most metal so shite and generic. Music should be written for the music, not for people to use to slap titles on themselves.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
02.10.2007 - 10:30
Woutjinho
Account deleted
true metal is about rebellion, anti religion, violence, gore, beer and that kind of stuff
metal about happy feelings isnt true
true metal is oldschool and the bands are formers/pioniers of some subgenres
metal that combine rap with metal in the 90's isnt true

but there is no definition of true metal. useally its just said if a band sucks its not true.
heavy and agression bands seem to be true metal
02.10.2007 - 12:24
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by [user id=26136] on 02.10.2007 at 10:30

true metal is about rebellion, anti religion, violence, gore, beer and that kind of stuff

I couldn't disagree more. When saying that happy feelings in metal isn't true metal, you just bashed the entire Power Metal community. And to comment your line about rap in metal, are you saying that bands like Anthrax isn't true metal?

I think that the term "True Metal" i a load of bullshit. It is just something that someone came up with in order to bash bands or genres they don't like... Christ, listen to the music instead of fucking around about what band is what..
----
THRASH!!!
02.10.2007 - 12:35
MetalFang
Account deleted
I think true metal is what people think is good to listen to, so it's not a really useful term.
02.10.2007 - 15:45
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by DrunkenFuck on 02.10.2007 at 12:24

Written by [user id=26136] on 02.10.2007 at 10:30

I couldn't disagree more. When saying that happy feelings in metal isn't true metal, you just bashed the entire Power Metal community. And to comment your line about rap in metal, are you saying that bands like Anthrax isn't true metal?

I think that the term "True Metal" i a load of bullshit. It is just something that someone came up with in order to bash bands or genres they don't like... Christ, listen to the music instead of fucking around about what band is what..

have you even tried to read the rest of my post?

Quote:
but there is no definition of true metal. useally its just said if a band sucks its not true.
heavy and agression bands seem to be true metal

USEALLY its just said if a band sucks... then its not true according to them

keep your responses for yourself if you havent read the whole post, thank you
02.10.2007 - 19:01
Too many fail.
It might help if you didn't contradict yourself in your posts.
As stupid as it sounds, three magical letters IMO will save you from getting flamed.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
02.10.2007 - 19:31
Nebel_Hexe
Account deleted
I get bored of people around me going on about what is true or isn't and all the tr00 n3kr0 stuff, sure it is amusing in the odd joke here and there though.
If I like the music and the music comes from the heart and if the music "sets me free" as it were then it's all good and that's all that matters to me.
Sure there are some twats around in the music scene or whatever but there always will be, they're easy to spot out and I don't waste time bitching about them, they ain't worth a second of my time.
02.10.2007 - 20:49
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 02.10.2007 at 19:01

It might help if you didn't contradict yourself in your posts.
As stupid as it sounds, three magical letters IMO will save you from getting flamed.

IMO its not necessary to say those three magical letters
02.10.2007 - 21:13
Too many fail.
Apparently the slight hint of satire was not transmitted over the internet.
----
- Bill Hicks
03.10.2007 - 08:07
Woutjinho
Account deleted
bad luck. lets get back on topic
03.10.2007 - 10:54
Anton Alcolust
there's ONLY ONE band who play true metal , and they don't really play , they KILL !

"Other bands play , Manowar kills !"
----
A.M.S.G.
08.10.2007 - 21:02
Tod_Engel
For me the "true metal" thingy is stupid. What does it stand for ? I don't know, maybe for ultra-tr00, kvlt and satanic black metal or for somebody's narrow taste, who cosiders other metalheads taste lower. I think it has been mentioned that most of people spit on such views, but some metalheads tend to take it seriously. For example some narrow-minded people can't stand electronic elements in metal music. Why can't it be there, can't it make it sound more interesting? Or call clean vocals "emo", it's stupid. I really hate when people don't know anything about music.

Written by Ernis on 26.05.2007 at 14:39

sometimes it seems that mainstream=untro0 and underground=tro0

That's an stupid attitude. In my opinion it doesn't count if a band is popular or not. It depends of the quality of music. Again some people will disagree with me (wasn't talking about you Frodo Of Steel).
08.10.2007 - 21:15
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I agree with you for a little, but dont get excited
08.10.2007 - 21:47
Tod_Engel
Written by [user id=26136] on 08.10.2007 at 21:15

I agree with you for a little, but dont get excited

What do you mean by that?
08.10.2007 - 22:32
Woutjinho
Account deleted
that i agree with you for a part. but not entirely. so dont get excited.
I dont like electronic elements in metal. better like it when its not combined with metal