Metal Storm logo
More metal guys than girls?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 04.08.2007 - 20:28
it just came to me right now, why are there more male metal fans than female?

the only logical explanation i can give is that girls are softer and prefer lighter music in general...
14.08.2008 - 19:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I would say that there are more girls into goth than into metal. At least here in Portugal. It's hard to find girl metallers.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.08.2008 - 19:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think girls more are into extreme metal and gothic scene not such hatd rock and heavy metal bands like Accept, Grave Digger and so on, I had seen pnalty BM girl DM fans but not pure HM and Hard Rock
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.08.2008 - 19:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Maybe you're right. I usually don't find that many girls into extreme metal, only goth.

That explains the fact that I have mostly male friends
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.08.2008 - 19:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 14.08.2008 at 19:18

Maybe you're right. I usually don't find that many girls into extreme metal, only goth.

That explains the fact that I have mostly male friends

I had more male friends too, but REALY good friends its maybe 3 or 5 from boat sexes
Moutly girls what I know are when thay need soemthing thay remeber
and I dont know much metal girls in Latvia, more iun Sweden but even here I had seen its like 70% man, 30% woman
----

13.04.2009 - 11:36
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
I dunno. I think metal in general is predominantly masculine.
Also the metal maidens i know got into metal because
they like there men metal lol.
03.05.2009 - 19:50
Rosaka
Written by [user id=40343] on 13.04.2009 at 11:36

I dunno. I think metal in general is predominantly masculine.
Also the metal maidens i know got into metal because
they like there men metal lol.

It's true that Metal is rather masculine, thus mainly for men. And it's true that sreaming men on the stage look good.
I think that Metal sounds too aggressive for many female listeners. I've tried to make a couple of my friends listen to metal while the other hated it (and went to listen her dance/pop/trance music) while the other liked it a little. Still, I can say that a minority of girls listen to anything heavier than Hanoi Rocks.
22.07.2009 - 10:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Some observations

Total MS members: 15515
Guys: 12897
Girls: 2570

draw your own conclusions.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.07.2009 - 10:51
tulkas
el parcero
If you judge by the scene here in Colombia, or at least in Bogotá, the number of girl metalheads is veery reduced, much less than men. And the worst part is that, it's not just that there's too few, but that from that already reduced number, the number of hot/nice/interesting ones is... well, you can imagine. A lot are into metal because their boyfriend, who is older than them, is a metalhead, or stuff like that.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.07.2009 - 11:12
Elio
Red Nightmare
Of course, metal is business for bad guys, let the girls play with their dolls.

I also think (don't know if it's true, just a random thought) that even if girls listen to metal don't dress like metalheads so you can't know if an average girl you cross in the street likes metal or not.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.07.2009 - 11:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those girls who listen metal because of BF does it I dont say those are metalheads, metalheaf girl is metalhead if she do it because she likes metal , she's in love whit it not because she's GF or somebody
----

22.07.2009 - 11:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah but it's not only that...I like metal music (I did even more until last year, now I lsiten also to many other genres) but I have never been a metalhead, in the sense that I don't/didn't wear metal close. And many people I know do the same.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.07.2009 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 22.07.2009 at 11:26

Yeah but it's not only that...I like metal music (I did even more until last year, now I lsiten also to many other genres) but I have never been a metalhead, in the sense that I don't/didn't wear metal close. And many people I know do the same.

But whats a metalhead?
people who lsiten it or people who wear it
I know guys who wear letter but listen only metallica in public but in home Britney, Gay Z and Ozols)ask ragana who's he, better for you dont know)

I wear metal, not always more like jeans, boots, dennim, letter but Im more like biker , but I think Im outlaw who dont liove by society rulles, but live by society law lol
So I listen many bands, blues, jazz, country, oldies etc,

I know one biker(who's at jail for thiefing cars n goods , n bikes) his ex GF was whit him because wanna be cool , so he likes his muisc, but when she was alone she likes pop hip hop , nah she destroy my REO Speedwagoon tape n Aerosmith CD ,
----

22.07.2009 - 23:40
Probably cause girls are more likely to copy trends and stuff from 'cool' magazines and then their friends copy them cause they want to be 'cool' too and then it goes in a circle like that cause they all want to be popular and trendy but metal doesn't get as much promotion I suppose. Well that's what it's like here anyway. They just aren't as willing to give this genre a chance, even though I bet you could find a type of metal to suit anyone.
23.07.2009 - 02:59
Biedrik
I think more girls have potential towards liking metal than they realize. I recall once talking with a girl who definitely did not seem like the headbanging sort. I checked out what she had on her ipod, and it was almost all pop. Then, she looked at what I had on my ipod. She sees Metallica, and says "Oh, they're a great band." Now I was pretty sure she was gonna start talking about 90s Metallica songs, but instead she puts on her headphones, and selects Creeping Death and starts singing along to it. Surprised me quite a bit. So, even a pop-obsessed girl was able to sing along happily to "DIE! BY MY HAND! I CREEP ACROSS THE LAND! KILLING FIRSTBORN MAN!"" And if she can enjoy that, why not other girls?

Oh, and since then I've recommended some more metal to her. She doesn't like much of the extreme stuff, but still, she has managed to develop a taste for metal.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
23.07.2009 - 04:58
gwarscumdog
Girls seem to need more of a rhythm. We like sounds just explode out in a different format.
23.07.2009 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Countess Bathory on 22.07.2009 at 23:40

Probably cause girls are more likely to copy trends and stuff from 'cool' magazines and then their friends copy them cause they want to be 'cool' too and then it goes in a circle like that cause they all want to be popular and trendy but metal doesn't get as much promotion I suppose. Well that's what it's like here anyway. They just aren't as willing to give this genre a chance, even though I bet you could find a type of metal to suit anyone.

Its truth I think I would die if I be common GF and she wanna new shoes and skirt each week, .... go shoping, damn outlaws mc all ladies has west whit ''property of outlaws'' and its for life, no shoping
----

23.07.2009 - 15:46
IronAngel
This thread is hilarious and sad at the same time.

The difference is only cultural, social. Rock music, and metal in particularl, is male-dominated, masculine in imagery, and socially acceptable "boy's music." Girls are expected to like pretty stuff, music with feminine symbolism. It's exactly the same as some professional fields being female dominated (health care) or male dominated (construction work), or why blue is considered a boys' colour and yellow a girls' colour.

Statistical fact: parents are more likely to put to piano lessons, but allow a boy to grab a guitar, than vice versa.
23.07.2009 - 23:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
What has 2,000 legs and 2 tits?

the typical crowd at an Overkill show... (joke courtesy of Bobby Blitz on "Get Thrashed")
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.07.2009 - 00:46
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Elio on 22.07.2009 at 11:12

I also think (don't know if it's true, just a random thought) that even if girls listen to metal don't dress like metalheads so you can't know if an average girl you cross in the street likes metal or not.

well, guys don't like chicks who are more br00tal than they are, I suppose.

Written by Bad English on 22.07.2009 at 11:36

I know guys who wear letter but listen only metallica in public but in home Britney, Gay Z and Ozols)ask ragana who's he, better for you dont know)

Ozols? Hahaha. Damn, I listened to his music when I was ten years old or smth. Btw, now Gustavo is cooler than Ozols... you're living in the past, K7. Why always "ask Ragana"? Is there written "1188" on my forehead?

Written by Countess Bathory on 22.07.2009 at 23:40

Well, here it's full of girls who try to dress like some gothic queens or trve metalheads, it's pretty trendy here to be an emo or at least having a belt with spikes (omg, that's soooo cool). Okay, not to mention barbies, those are everywhere. I personally hate to look like a mannequin, so I try to look more unique by adding different accents or amending clothes on my own. At least I'm sure there won't be 100 other girls who look just as same as I do.
25.07.2009 - 23:33
Saitenhexerin
Mhm...
There are some of us, though to be honest, I've never met another girl in real who is as fanatic as me...but I guess I am quite a bit of a weirdo and guitar maniac...^^
However I think there are a lot of girls who listen to metal because they love it and not because their boyfriend likes it or whatever. And i think it is quite sad that only very few metal musicians are actually women. Maybe this is a reason that there are less female fans - because there isn't anybody they can identify with. I mean, I've got my idols and I practise almost every day to be as good as Dave Murray one day, but hell - if there was a female James Hetfield or Ozzy Osbourne , I guess it would draw a lot more girls into the scence.
Just some more female Idols, that's what some would need.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
26.07.2009 - 11:30
IronAngel
You're absolutely right, Saiten. The metal scene is very masculine. Over the decades, rock has become more feminine but it hasn't reached metal yet.
27.07.2009 - 11:08
Oldshirts
Account deleted
I had this same conversation yesterday with a female guitarist (and guitar teacher). She thought it odd that men idolise male rock bands, and that more women weren't at gigs, and making more of an impact. Of course there have always been the haircut bands, but metal (and punk) have mostly been male, with a lot of aggression thrown in, perhaps that is not so attractive to women. She also finds it odd that so few female guitarists make it to the top even though so many learn to play.

Personally I think there is a lot to do with formative years, wanting to be macho as a kid, of course the bad atitude angst years of teenagedom, Metal comes to the rescue, and then it truely grows on you. My wife only really got into metal after she met me, and to be honest, she tends to go for harder stuff than me now!
11.08.2009 - 19:44
Razorback
In my country guys are more into metal than girls,usually girls prefer some goth style and unfortunatly there is some part of metal fans who 'listening' metal to impress someone or bother parents,i hope it's better situation in your country but i think there is no escape from fake metalheads muaahahhaha:maniac: but anyway before you find yourself in something you should try some stuffs,so sometimes it's just period sometimes you stay into metal music till the end.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
27.08.2009 - 10:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Just an observation - I've noticed almost any chick thats into metal loves Opeth, is that just a regional thing or is that a common thread across the world? I noticed at Opeth concerts the ratio is a little more even. Would it be sexist of me to call Opeth sonic pantie-remover?

Damn, I really hope Opeth comes back to town soon.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.08.2009 - 01:34
Boltus
I personally really don't understand why there are so few female metal fans.
One of the best things about metal is the men who are obviously some of the best looking in existance in many cases.
An other reason is that heavy music can be extremely arousing!
What is more attractive than wild-looking, talented men expressing themselves in such a rebellious way?
Obviously the music is the key attraction to metal but that is not my point.
I'm quite glad there are so few girls though. If all girls liked metal it would be a bit less cool..
30.08.2009 - 00:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Boltus on 29.08.2009 at 01:34

I personally really don't understand why there are so few female metal fans.
One of the best things about metal is the men who are obviously some of the best looking in existance in many cases.
An other reason is that heavy music can be extremely arousing!
What is more attractive than wild-looking, talented men expressing themselves in such a rebellious way?
Obviously the music is the key attraction to metal but that is not my point.
I'm quite glad there are so few girls though. If all girls liked metal it would be a bit less cool..

Good post and its true but , I would say workd is full whit easy women what you can get faster before order drink in bar how swollow 400 grams of whisky in one time.

Many women who looks like metalhead are wild, hang around in biker bars, strip clubs etc , name it so , but there same like man who dont look like metalhead but listen it same girl cam look like secretary or nurse but be metalhead ,
----

03.09.2009 - 22:52
gocasaca
1. Males more rebbelious, metal is sort of rebbelion to society
2. Traditional roles and models of behaviour - screaming, headbangig, drinking to death etc., not feminine behaviours
3. Males are generaly more into music of any kind ( listening to MTV doesn't count as being into music )
4. Females are mostly opsesed with love, romance, guys, preparing for or being into motherhood, and other domestic shits, and no time for hobbyes
5. Those females that are in metal like it in less intellectual way than males, so are not so interested in informations about genres, bands, tours, gigs, whitch means they have less to say, and are less in metal forums ( me as an example, impressionist )
I gues we are still f...ed :/
04.09.2009 - 00:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gocasaca on 03.09.2009 at 22:52

2. Traditional roles and models of behaviour - screaming, headbangig, drinking to death etc., not feminine behaviours
3. Males are generaly more into music of any kind ( listening to MTV doesn't count as being into music )
4. Females are mostly opsesed with love, romance, guys, preparing for or being into motherhood, and other domestic shits, and no time for hobbyes
5. Those females that are in metal like it in less intellectual way than males, so are not so interested in informations about genres, bands, tours, gigs, whitch means they have less to say, and are less in metal forums ( me as an example, impressionist )

I agree rebelios and whit metal I say fuck army , best way how to do it long hair hehehe, liek Sepultura did , etleats thay sad they did it whit music n attitude. bikers n metalheads are moust rebelioss,also skins but tehy dont count because they has no hair

About being into music I disagree about it because many females are into it to but jazz, blues, country , classical, MTV and pop being into dont counts but no metter if its country or opera it counts being into

4th part I agree whit it even well no love more metal,

5 disagree , maybe more girls are there because of boys n parties, but in myspace I know manyw hoäs into deeper staff same like guys, I disagree there whit you
----

04.09.2009 - 00:50
gocasaca
Written by Bad English on 04.09.2009 at 00:33

I agree rebelios and whit metal I say fuck army , best way how to do it long hair hehehe, liek Sepultura did , etleats thay sad they did it whit music n attitude. bikers n metalheads are moust rebelioss,also skins but tehy dont count because they has no hair

About being into music I disagree about it because many females are into it to but jazz, blues, country , classical, MTV and pop being into dont counts but no metter if its country or opera it counts being into

5 disagree , maybe more girls are there because of boys n parties, but in myspace I know manyw hoäs into deeper staff same like guys, I disagree there whit you

when I said what I said, I never meant ALL but MOST. And, yes, there are females deep into music, wild, crazy and so on. Still, listening MTV and what is served on TV and highly available medias doesn't count as being into music. Most of them who listens to popular music don't think of it at all, they just play it for the atmosphere and they would listen whatever you play them long enough to get used to it.
Maybe females in metal are specially reare, but look at any genre of music and you will see more males, that's a fack. Acctualy, you will find that distribution not just in music, but in every art and profession that requres creating and dealing with ideas and objects. Females are more in human-relation stuffs and nurturing. I don't think thats natural and good, but that is what it is
04.09.2009 - 01:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gocasaca on 04.09.2009 at 00:50

Written by Bad English on 04.09.2009 at 00:33

when I said what I said, I never meant ALL but MOST. And, yes, there are females deep into music, wild, crazy and so on. Still, listening MTV and what is served on TV and highly available medias doesn't count as being into music. Most of them who listens to popular music don't think of it at all, they just play it for the atmosphere and they would listen whatever you play them long enough to get used to it.
Maybe females in metal are specially reare, but look at any genre of music and you will see more males, that's a fack. Acctualy, you will find that distribution not just in music, but in every art and profession that requres creating and dealing with ideas and objects. Females are more in human-relation stuffs and nurturing. I don't think thats natural and good, but that is what it is

MTV dont play music and yes there many people generaly who lsiten music like hear something, some easy and so on, but here well I see a lot of metal females around, but men is more, also male generaly are into extreme thinks , revolution groops, rebels, small rebels who wanna get independet and so on, just male are there more, but maybe itys also in what country you live to
----