Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
30.05.2008 - 21:13
Dagorwen
When I was 13, I heard of "gothic" people and so called "metal" and was quite frightened, I even said to a friend "I will never hear to that diabolical music!" I was really affraid of being possessed through music (hihihi, youth...) and listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner...
The same year, I discovered Offspring, the summer, on an archeologic camp, I discovered SOAD, Slayer, Rammstein, Craddle of Filth, Soulfly, Korn on a CD that made a friend for me (who listened to Offspring too) as I wished something more punchy and violent
one year later, on the same archeologic camp, I asked for more brutal music and discovered Dysmal Euphony, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom and realised it was evrything I had been longing for !!!
01.06.2008 - 00:09
TheBigRossowski
When I was in the 8th grade all the "rebels" were wearing Slipknot shirts and what not while I was still listening to whatever shit my mom played. Then my friend made me a CD with that shit and the only bands that appealed to me was Metallica (Whiplash), Cradle of Filth (Born in a Burial Gown) and a few others. Now, coming from a small place in West Texas there was nothing else around like that! Or at least it didn't look like it...

I must have been 14 or something when I bought Cradle of Filth's "Lovecaft and Witchhearts". Then from there I read about other bands and what not and thus I was reborn into the world of metal...

Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse was the second album I ever bought..
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
16.06.2008 - 23:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
3 days before my 14th birthday...I used to listen some pop punk as green day or offspring when a friend of mine passed me "kill'em all" by metallica *_*
since then only metal in my life
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.06.2008 - 20:02
FoxZdemoN
I was 12 when I found my identity as a metalhead. Before that..I wasnt allowed to listen to music due to the religion I was forced in at the time.
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
19.06.2008 - 00:25
mankvill
Back in January of 2005. The first song was "Doleful Night in Thelema" by Anorexia Nervosa. I started listening at the extreme end of the spectrum. And I was never the same since.
20.06.2008 - 20:59
Candlemass
Defaeco
Age 15.
Correctly I'm 20.
11.07.2008 - 09:25
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Age 10: heard metallica's ride the lightning... that did it for me.
28.07.2008 - 08:46
Zomvik_1511
Age 12 with Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Slayer's Reign in Blood.
Around 2001.. and two years later I found this page and... so on with my life.
----
"Unexploited potencial is nothing, absolutely nothing"

[Perverse Suffering - Carved from the inside out]
[One person can change the World with a bullet in the right place]
30.07.2008 - 14:11
Macedonia
Account deleted
I was 14 when i heard Her Ghost In The Fog. And that was enough...
18.08.2008 - 11:11
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
you know how doctors say that babies like what they heard her mom listened to when she was pregnant with you???

yeah my mom was a metalhead in the early years... enough said???
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
18.08.2008 - 11:15
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
SHIT IM JUST FUCKING WITH YOU

i actually cant remember how it all started. there was definitely Cradle of Filth or Eternal Tears of Sorrow involved...

shit this sucks
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
20.08.2008 - 13:42
Tango2150
Account deleted
i was about 12, i just discovered dragon ball z on cartoon network, so i went online looking for pic n vids and i found an amv with system of a down - toxicity, i fucking loved it, i never listen to bands or anything before then.
i started listening to rage against the machine and a bit of punk, but started finding it boring and started looking for more technical and heavier things.
20.08.2008 - 22:37
Sorg
Account deleted
It all started with old Metallica, then some Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and then found out about thrash and then everything else...
I was about 9 or ten.
16.09.2008 - 05:13
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
with me in started with metallica,slayer then i branched off into heavier newer stuff like OLD lamb of god some bodom impaled nazarene killswitch and some other stuff.
26.09.2008 - 00:57
Scottgun
13 years old in 1980. Heard AC/DC's Back in Black. It was all over...

I really wish I could find a copy of Hit Parader from 1980 with The Who on the cover because it had an article called the Heavy Metal Sweepstakes and they gave odds on which bands would be succesful. The funny thing was that they were dead wrong on most accounts. Def Leppard was given bad odds for success, as was Ozzy Osborne, Iron Maiden, and the Scorpions. The group they gave the best odds?: Krokus.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
26.09.2008 - 02:06
thesabbathfan
when i was 12... I completely accidentally found Dragonforce (whom I hate now) and Blind Guardian on the internet, and then I started with Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth, and those were the only metal bands I listened to until about 6-8 months later when I discovered Lamb of God and CoB, and now I can say I am a true metalhead!
----
13.10.2008 - 22:11
When I was 12 years old my uncle put the unforgiven video and saw that I liked metal music so he gave me the disc Powerslave.

12 years listening metal music!!! Yeahhh
13.10.2008 - 22:29
Immortal
I started listening to some of my friends' heavy metal cds but craved something heavier - I then stumbled across blackmetalradio.com and found so many awesome bands. Still visit this site to discover new extreme bands
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
14.10.2008 - 02:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Heh, it seems like there is a trend here with people starting to listen to metal at 12...I'm pretty sure that the Black album was the first metal album I listened to...it was my sisters...the first rock album I ever listened to was her Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet album and then while I was playing that she was playing the Black Album so...
21.10.2008 - 14:26
Yossarian
Hi,

I think that I like metal as far as I can remember. My parents told me that I got mad running and dancing when I was 8 or 9 -I just remember bits of it- and they attended a concert in which a metal band played. We have not yet discovered which one it was. It was common to have concerts in those times when pop, traditional Spanish singers and hard rock bands played together in the same gig at city festivals. It was around 1980. Then I saw some videoclips in the telly from Iron Maiden, Ac-dc, Judas, Scorpions and Spanish metal-hardrock bands during the next 3-4 years.

One very curious thing is the fact that from 1980 until 1987 I just thought that there were only 6 metal bands in Spain and another 4 outside Spain -The ones I have mentioned before-. This is because I was living in a city at the south of Spain. There has never been a metal scene in that region ever and parents and people were then quite stubborn about not letting people from having long hair. Therefore, I did not know that a tribe named metalheads, metallers "heavis or heavies or gebis in Spanish. There is not agreement about written form for the expression" exist so my knowledge was minimum.

I remember asking my father once we were in Madrid, why I boy we saw had long hair and strange clothes. My father told me that he would be a travestite. It was the first time I have seen a metaller..."un heavy".

During those years I have met some people that liked metal too. Older boys from my school that have a bit of long hair and for that reason, every younger boys feared them. They were astonish that such a young boy with 11 years knew all the members of Iron Maiden.
They finished school the next year and I did not talk to them again until 4 years later when they started a radio program playing metal every Sunday afternoon. It was around September 1986.
It was a great fact in that metal forgotten city. All people that like that kind of music at the city and nearby towns finally started knowing each other and I shut up when I realised that there were more bands apart from Ac-dc, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Scorpions. I discovered and enjoyed a lot with Accept -then disbanded-, Helloween, Kiss, Ozzy and then Flotsam and Jetsam, Testament. I am not mentioning Metallica. I never liked them really.

From then on I started wearing tight jeans, band patches and metal black tshirts...the typical metal accesories and of course...let my hair grow.
21.10.2008 - 22:34
Alfurion
Account deleted
When I was born. My dad was a metalhead, he brought me to college with him (he was 24, went into the military before college), and he would blast Judas Priest, Maiden, Alice in Chains, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Slayer, and Anthrax. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the back of his car with Priests "Painkiller" and "Burn in Hell" blasting.
21.10.2008 - 22:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=35510] on 21.10.2008 at 22:34

When I was born. My dad was a metalhead, he brought me to college with him (he was 24, went into the military before college), and he would blast Judas Priest, Maiden, Alice in Chains, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Slayer, and Anthrax. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the back of his car with Priests "Painkiller" and "Burn in Hell" blasting.

Cool... btw I guess you are talking about Twisted Sister's Burn In Hell and not DImmu Borgir's cover?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2008 - 00:13
gocasaca
Simple question, but not simple answer in my case. First time I liked a metal song was when I was 9 or 10, and it was Metalica's Unforgiven. My friend had this tape with metal ballads. But that was it. I liked mostli pop and rock then. Litle deeper getting into metal was when I bough 3 albums of Iron Maiden ( 14 years ), and then I really liked that one Judas Be My Guide and Wasted years. And some others. At that time I was more into hard rocky/metal stile, there was also a A.Cooper, Europe, Dokken, UFO, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabath, Alice in chains, Korn... But still I listened many other kinds besides that.
Then at 15 I discovered Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity, and played it few times before started to like it. At 16 came other albums,like Metropolis II and Awake. They became and always stayed my favourite. Then little bit of Megadeth ( although I dont realy like trash ), Nightwish, Therion...
But passionate I became 2 yers ago, with Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, More of Dream Theater albums and member proyects, and Queensryche. Soon after that I collected much, much more.
These few month I'm slowly getting ( from power/prog ) into melodic death/folk/prog sound.
Who knows whats next!
23.10.2008 - 06:48
Alfurion
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2008 at 22:44

Written by [user id=35510] on 21.10.2008 at 22:34

Cool... btw I guess you are talking about Twisted Sister's Burn In Hell and not DImmu Borgir's cover?

I'm talking about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVaSRfli8I (I'm pretty sure its a cover just the same) it was during the stint that Halford was out of Priest, and I think this is Iced Earth's lead singer (I may be wrong, thats just what I heard)
23.10.2008 - 07:37
DevilBabi
Hhhhmmm.

well i think my metal obcession came from my parents. And basically started pre-birth?
LOL
My dad is an avid AC/dc, Def Lappard, Alice Cooper, etc etc fan. He remembers playing this stuff too me before i was born, exposing me to it at an early age. LOL

From the age of about 5 or 6, i was into ac/dc in a big way. It was the one type of music i hear time and time again. And just to add contrast, i also gathered a firm knowledge of Roy Orbison, Elvis, Charlie Pride, Dr Hook, CCR. The list goes on and on. Anyway, i detract.
When i hit say about 14, i got into Aerosmith in a big way too and busted open that vault. Which lead into Ozzy Osbourne, i cant remembe what my first metal album was but i remember the real first metal band i heard was pantera.
Shit, i was hooked straight away. LOL
26.10.2008 - 02:55
Land Of Doom
When I Were In The Collage My Friend Advice Me o Listen To Many Gothic Bands Like Epica And After Forever Then I Start To Know Every Thing About Metal
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
26.10.2008 - 03:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well, my story isn't exactly straight-forward. Since I was as long as I can remember I've been into rock, my Dad got me into classic rock like ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Guess Who, The Who, and The Doors. I learned the "F" word from a copy of GnR's Appetite For Destruction borrowed from the library (I must have been around 7, my Dad borrowed it from the library thinking GnR were just some blues rock/southern rock band). At the same time my older brothers got me into stuff like The Offspring, Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Greenday etc. I always stayed loyal to Rock. When I was about 12 I grew tired of plain old classic rock and borrowing those alt rock cassettes from my brothers, and I wanted something faster and more aggressive. So I got into punk, started really getting into The Sex Pistols, MC5, The Distillers, Flogging Molly, and The Ramones (which still sit as a personal favorite to this day). From there it grew a little heavier, my borther eventually bought me a copy of 'Number Of The Beast', which at the time I found more humorous than anything else, and I stuck with my punk. The transformation to metal I can remember vividly, it was spring break of '05 (mid-March), and I was feeling particularly depressed (because I was at a school where I didn't exactly get along with my schoolmates). I was laying on my couch listening to an internet punk radio station and this song came on, blisteringly fast bass riff, face melting solos and vocals that sounded like a fucking rottweiler. I stood up and had to know what this band/song was; it was Motorheads 'Ace Of Spades', and everything sort of clicked. From then on I started investigating more and more bands, joined MS and learned new stuff. It wasn't until about Dec '05 when I first got into any forms of extreme metal. All my new metalhead friends were going to see this band called Opeth, so I bought a ticket so I would'nt be left out. I decided to buy a CD of theres so I at least knew something about the band for the show, and was pleasantly blown away, and they helped me grow used to-and eventually enjoy harsh vocals. After that I pretty much branched out and dipped into a little of everything.

Its funny now that I look back, when I was in elementary school me and my best friend got made fun of for listening to classic rock and not any of the hip fads that came along (IE-Baha Men, Limp Bizkit, Aqua, N*Sync, Destinies Child, Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park), now all those people I grew up with are really into Led Zeppelin, The Doors Etc., maybe the journey to metal has just begun for them?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.10.2008 - 06:45
Barbaydos
Account deleted
Well for me two years ago when i was 14 or 15 my best friend gave me a cd of Demon Hunter songs and some other stuff. i didn't really like it at first but it kinda grew on me after a while. then i kept getting more songs from him until i bought my first metal album which i think was disturbed's ten thousand fists. i didn't really know alot about them then but i bought it and then started to listen to other things like slipknot and machine head and lots of other bands, and that how i got into metal music
28.10.2008 - 22:15
LebRuins
Account deleted
Well when i was about 13-14 I heard some people talkin' about Metallica so I went and decided to check them out so I asked the guy at the shop the best Metallica album and he gave me Master of Puppets.It was incredible. That was the Album that got me into metal after that I listened to Iron maiden, then Megadeth, then Judas priest .... and behold I entered the world of Metal XD
29.10.2008 - 19:25
MetalSpider
I listened to a bit of metallica when I was in my rap phase. However, its when I heard In Flames - Man Made God from a video I was watching that I started to really listen to metal.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!