Metal Storm logo
Cricket

Original post

Posted by Valar, 19.05.2006 - 17:01
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
19.03.2007 - 11:49
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Yeah I hear you on that. However I've been to India and stayed there for around 2 years and I know what cricket means to them. Its a similar situation in Pakistan I think. Cricket really is a religion there, much like Cinema. They take it very seriously and with a lot of national pride so its understandable really.. Still it condones nothing but anyway..

This is not the case for all subcontinent countries though. Sri Lanka for instance is nothing like this. I lived there for a while too and to them its not so much a religion. Just a sport I guess. If you've been to one of their interschool cricket matches which last 3 days you'll find its more of an excuse to get drunk rather than actually watch the match although I think there's more history and pride in interschool competitions than the national squad. For instance there are interschool tournaments lasting over 127 odd years..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.03.2007 - 11:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
First of I would like to pay my due respects to Bob Woolmer, especially since I met the guy a couple of times when he was the iCC High Performance coach for Holland.

Bangladesh - India wasn't as much of a surprise as Ireland - Pakistan, and that on St. Patrick's Day. Ireland is almost certain of the SUper Eights now. I hope that Ireland's performance will shut uip the big countires who didn't want the minnows to be in the World Cup. The WC is a great learnign experience for those countries (even for Holland although we got slaughtered twice)

Funny thing is that Luuk van Troost (captain) said that Holland wanted to write history against SA, we did manage that hahahaha, or at least Daan van Bunge did when he was smashed for six sixes by Giobbs in that one over. I saw the over and there were actually four good balls in that over.

About canada - England, no chance in hell Canada could have eevr won that game. Canada is about as strong as Bermuda. And bpth canada and Bermuda are a lot weaker than Ireland, Scotland and Holland.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 12:29
Judas
The Amputator
@Himann: I totally understand the way these fools view cricket (I'm Indian myself), and I know nothing really warrants such fanaticism (about ANYTHING!), but I think it's to do with the fact that they don't really have anything else to look forward to. For many people, the only highlight of their day is seeing their team win, and when they don't, it's a lot easier making them the scapegoats for everything that goes wrong in their lives. It's sad, but that's the reality.

@Marcel: Man, if England played some of their trademark crappy cricket, Canada so could have pulled off an upset too. They did really well in getting to a respectable total, and batting out their overs. If the Poms had collapsed... But I suppose the point is that they didn't, and everything went almost exactly to script.

India v Bermuda tonight, can't be bothered to watch, it'll be a slaughter. West Indies v Zimbabwe will probably also be a drubbing, but there's more of a contest in that match.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.03.2007 - 12:43
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Sudden deciplinary problems for England too. Flintoff was not allowed to play cause he was drinking and fell off a boat or something lol.

@Judas, yeah its quite understandable though. Even that Tennis girl Sania Mirza seems to be causing similar kind of fanaticism lol. Anyway I agree completely..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.03.2007 - 13:11
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Himann on 19.03.2007 at 12:43

Sudden deciplinary problems for England too. Flintoff was not allowed to play cause he was drinking and fell off a boat or something lol.

@Judas, yeah its quite understandable though. Even that Tennis girl Sania Mirza seems to be causing similar kind of fanaticism lol. Anyway I agree completely..

Flintoff's alcohol issues were on the news here, I was laughing so much imagining him in a little paddle boat when hammered and causing it to capsize...

Apparently there were quite a few other players fined for drunkenness too, and Nasser Hussain actually ventured so far as to suggest that the team had a collective boozing problem.

Right, well I'm off to bed now, that's my spin for today, I'll need all the sleep I can get during the week because there's no way I'm sleeping on Friday or Saturday nights! India v Sri Lanka and Australia v South Africa...
----
19.03.2007 - 13:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 19.03.2007 at 13:11

Flintoff's alcohol issues were on the news here, I was laughing so much imagining him in a little paddle boat when hammered and causing it to capsize...

Apparently there were quite a few other players fined for drunkenness too, and Nasser Hussain actually ventured so far as to suggest that the team had a collective boozing problem.

Right, well I'm off to bed now, that's my spin for today, I'll need all the sleep I can get during the week because there's no way I'm sleeping on Friday or Saturday nights! India v Sri Lanka and Australia v South Africa...

Why is everyone talking about boats?
Doesn't anyone here know what the expression: "to fall off the boat" means?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 13:23
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 13:20

Um he actually fell off a boat lol. Apparently he had to be fished out and stuff. At least thats what the news says. Its not related to the expression in this case I think..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.03.2007 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Himann on 19.03.2007 at 13:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 13:20

Um he actually fell off a boat lol. Apparently he had to be fished out and stuff. At least thats what the news says. Its not related to the expression in this case I think..

Hahahahaha, man, if that is the case it is even funnier.
But what the hell did they expect from Flintoff? Being in the Carribean with only lads around him, and there's plenty of rum...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 14:16
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 13:25

Hahahahaha, man, if that is the case it is even funnier.
But what the hell did they expect from Flintoff? Being in the Carribean with only lads around him, and there's plenty of rum...

Yeah its not very surprising I guess lol.. It was funny watching Vaughn trying to explain it before the toss to the comentator interviewing him. He was watching his words so carefully it was actually funny lol.. Yeah if anything can make you fall off a boat its Carribean Rum lol.. Anyway I though it sucked only to penalise him and not the others. Just because he's the vice captain....
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.03.2007 - 14:47
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well I think it's good that we're seeing upsets. And how funny was it that Ireland won on St. Pats day! They have a 0 losses record too It makes it more interesting when you see the no so well known teams beating the ones that really should be winning.

One thing I don't really like about the world cup, is that there's no free to air television coverage of the games
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
19.03.2007 - 14:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Raiden on 19.03.2007 at 14:47

One thing I don't really like about the world cup, is that there's no free to air television coverage of the games

Imagine how frustrating it is living in Holland.

Natinal tv spends at most about 2-minute length items on the World Cup. So when I wanna see a match I have to go to either a pub (which might have Sky) or the cricket club (where we do have Sky but clubhouse is freezing cold since half it burned down two weeks ago)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 15:02
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 14:50

Natinal tv spends at most about 2-minute length items on the World Cup. So when I wanna see a match I have to go to either a pub (which might have Sky) or the cricket club (where we do have Sky but clubhouse is freezing cold since half it burned down two weeks ago)

Dude, your clubhouse burnt down?
----
19.03.2007 - 15:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 19.03.2007 at 15:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 14:50

Dude, your clubhouse burnt down?

Half of it. During daytime and in winter it is used as a day care centre and one of the kids apparently played with some matches. But luckily all the valuable stuff is still intact.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 15:29
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well that's lucky I guess.

I can imagine it being hard to see games, living where you do, but cricket is one of Australia's top sports. I think we should have some coverage

Yeah, I have to just catch news items about it too. Or hear bits and pieces on the radio.

<muttersunderbreath>Damn lucky Judas and his Dad getting foxtel
----
- Bruce Dickinson

19.03.2007 - 16:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You can try find FTV channels here http://www.satfootball.com/

Go this forums and where are feed forum there might be something, but log in otherwise ist closed

You camn ask for feed, maybe soemone knows something and I even had see some cricked feeds, but I forgot frequances, ebcause Im not into cricket, but sometimes Dubay Sport and Al Jazeera sport shows them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.03.2007 - 16:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Thank you Austar / Foxtel (cable), Im able to what some coverage on there, havnt yet though.

Anyway, heard about the Pakistani cricket coach dying? On the news they said hotel staff found him in his room in a pretty bad way (other details I'll leave out) and he died within the hour.

That has to be an absolute bomb shell for the Pakistani team that this has happened. Quite sad really.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.03.2007 - 16:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok in witch country are WC in Cricket?

I read one indian dude sold his own kidney to go to WC
----

apos;'
[image]
19.03.2007 - 16:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 19.03.2007 at 16:51

It's in the carribean. So it is played in Trinidad, St. Kitts & Nevis, all those nice sunny islands. And it lasts 6 weeks with over 2,000,000 people watching it on tv. AFter the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup it is the biggest event television wise
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 17:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 16:54

It's in the carribean. So it is played in Trinidad, St. Kitts & Nevis, all those nice sunny islands. And it lasts 6 weeks with over 2,000,000 people watching it on tv. AFter the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup it is the biggest event television wise

Well nice sunny islands I wanna go there, but not watch cricket but girls and drink rum
but seriusly WC, Olympics, then woud be Rugby wC and EUFA/EC etleast I read it in soem magasine, its new dates about biggest TV events
----

apos;'
[image]
19.03.2007 - 17:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 19.03.2007 at 17:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 16:54

Well nice sunny islands I wanna go there, but not watch cricket but girls and drink rum
but seriusly WC, Olympics, then woud be Rugby wC and EUFA/EC etleast I read it in soem magasine, its new dates about biggest TV events

Nope, Rugby WC and UEFA/EC don't attract more than 2,000,000,000 people watching it. Really, believe me Cricket WC is the nr. 3 in the world when it comes to television viewers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2007 - 17:31
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@Marcel Hubregtse - which is it, 2 million or 2 billion viewers? .. Just you've said to different figures now

EDIT: Obviously 2 billion... just thought i'd point it out incase Kariasakis7 might of thought the first figure.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.03.2007 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Xtreme Jax on 19.03.2007 at 17:31

@Marcel Hubregtse - which is it, 2 million or 2 billion viewers? .. Just you've said to different figures now

EDIT: Obviously 2 billion... just thought i'd point it out incase Kariasakis7 might of thought the first figure.

I meant 2 billion, yes. India alone already has some 1 billion viewers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2007 - 08:27
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2007 at 17:49

Written by Xtreme Jax on 19.03.2007 at 17:31

I meant 2 billion, yes. India alone already has some 1 billion viewers.

Yep, if you can conquer the Indian market, then you're set for life. Cricket has done that, and for all the fanaticism, the subcontinent is one place where cricket will always be played.

Incidentally, that sucks about your clubhouse. Glad that everything important was saved though.

@Necrowinter: I love Foxtel...

India have thrashed Bermuda by 257 runs, the largest margin ever in a World Cup match. Their score of 413/5 was the first WC score of over 400, with Sehwag scoring a much-needed century, Ganguly playing the anchor with his 89, Yuvraj blasting his way to 83, and Tendulkar playing a fantastic innings of 57. In reply, Bermuda managed 156, with Hemp getting a well-earned 76. Kumble and Agarkar picked up 3 wickets each. This match is a welcome return to normalcy for India, who now need to convincingly beat Sri Lanka to ensure passage to the Super 8s.

India have traditionally thrashed Sri Lanka in WC matches. Taunton 1999, and Wanderers 2003, anyone?

Zimbabwe v West Indies was more of a 'match', but as expected, the Windies chased down the target of 203 without too many problems. For Zimbabwe, the high points were Williams' 70 and Taylor's 50, and while there wasn't anything to write home about for the West Indies (aside from the fact that they're home already... oh that was a crap joke, sorry everyone!) they did get the job done without too many problems. If they can beat Bangladesh in their final match, they go through to the Super 8s phase with 2 points intact.

Today's matches should be foregone conclusions. Certainly Scotland shouldn't cause South Africa any problems at all, but Kenya might cause a little wobble for New Zealand.
----
20.03.2007 - 10:28
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Judas on 20.03.2007 at 08:27

India have traditionally thrashed Sri Lanka in WC matches. Taunton 1999, and Wanderers 2003, anyone?

Happened in the 96' WC as well I'm sure..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.03.2007 - 13:30
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Himann on 20.03.2007 at 10:28

Well that you can put it as STROKE OF LUCK
India it seems to me are the most hated cricket team playing the WC.....
I can put my entire trust on the Indian team and say we will beat Sri Lanka on the 23rd of this month, come what may, betting anyone?
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
20.03.2007 - 14:15
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Valar on 20.03.2007 at 13:30

Written by Himann on 20.03.2007 at 10:28

Well that you can put it as STROKE OF LUCK
India it seems to me are the most hated cricket team playing the WC.....
I can put my entire trust on the Indian team and say we will beat Sri Lanka on the 23rd of this month, come what may, betting anyone?

Haha I dont hate India lol.. As I mentioned I lived there for 2 years..Well after watching that WC I doubt luck had much to do with it hehe unless luck is a word you like to replace Jayasuriya and de Silva with..

Haha well good luck to India and may the best team win..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
21.03.2007 - 12:22
Judas
The Amputator
South Africa 188/3 (Smith 91, de Villiers 62) defeated Scotland 186/8 (Brown 45) by 7 wickets with 26.4 overs remaining.

New Zealand 331/7 (Taylor 85, McMillan 71) defeated Kenya 183 (Shah 71) by 148 runs.

All as scripted...
----
22.03.2007 - 13:36
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Yes, well you can't have upsets throughout the whole cup.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

22.03.2007 - 13:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 13:36

Unfortunately not
I was hoping for one or two in the gorup with Australia, and then I am not talking about Scotland upsetting any of the major countries
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2007 - 14:01
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2007 at 13:47

Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 13:36

Unfortunately not
I was hoping for one or two in the gorup with Australia, and then I am not talking about Scotland upsetting any of the major countries

Hehe, not a chance my friend You'll have to wait for the next rounds for something remotely like it happening
----
- Bruce Dickinson