Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
15.11.2008 - 01:04
Demigodc
It was about 2 or 3 years ago when some friends saved my life and made me listen to real music. I remember the first two metal bands they made me listen to were Slipknot and Dream Theater, since then I couldn't stop listening to metal, and now I listen to the most heavy and brutal bands out there like Nile, Morbid Angel and Cryptopsy. People stay metal!!!
15.11.2008 - 04:44
accursed
Account deleted
.In 1986 my friend and his sister introduced me to metallica. It was amazing. In 1987 I discovered slayer, mercyful fate/king diamond, anthrax and The rest is headbanging speed metal history.
18.11.2008 - 10:31
Eeric
Account deleted
Dad teached me to listen Queen when I was about 6-years but i used to listen techno (what a horrible confession) till I heard Megadeth and King Diamond and Terapia when I was 12 or something, after that metal have been the way.
19.11.2008 - 08:52
Metalbound7
I used to listen Nu Metal, Punk and Metallica. But it was at the age 13 when all happened. I was in the house of my cousin when he told me "Hey there's something really cool that i want you to listen" he pushed play in the stereo and suddenly i listened the most beautiful riff ever, followed by a powerful and possesing voice started singing "You take my life but i take your's too, you fire your musket but i run you trough" i feel an overwhelming sence of power and the chills in the back of my neck and i loved it. a week later i bought the album "The Best Of The Beast" and by the time i finnished to listen the whole album, I was Borne Again.
19.11.2008 - 17:36
Deathamphetamine
Account deleted
I was 14 and I first listened to the album version of Welcome to the Jungle and was hooked as fuck. I know that GNR isnt really metal, but it began to gear me towards older and heavier music, because at the time I was listening to nu-metal/rock and pop punk *covers face in shame*
21.11.2008 - 00:35
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I remember that when I was a child my brother (who is 8 years older than me) used to listen to Metallica, "Master Of Puppets", "Kill 'Em All", "...And Justice For All", and other bands like Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, The Doors yeah! Great times... then he changed, he left metal and started listening to other things, commercial music, pop, crap rock, techno, and those things (You know, girlfriends can change people). Then when I was 14 or 15 (I can't remember very well), I used to listen to bands that people in my school listened in those times, I was a fan of Linkin Park and Korn (It is very funny to recongnize this jeje), everyone listened to Limp Biskshit but, nope, that was too much crap for me jaja. Here is where I retake the original story, when my brother started to listen other things he left me many albums:
-Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
-Nirvana - Nevermind
-Metallica - Kill 'Em All
-Metallica - ...And Justice For All
-Metallica - Load
-The Doors - The Best Of The Doors
-Skid Row - Skid Row
Everything changed since that moment (also mother gave me a discman for christmas, oh yeah), after that I started to watch a program in local TV called "Flow Metal" where I met many bands, such as Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody (The first metal album I bought was Dawn Of Victory, and now I love them!!!). Then I had an Internet Radio Program and the story goes on...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.11.2008 - 21:27
ãtuã
I started with korn, rammstein and System of a down, when I was about 9 years old (along with diverse rock bands) until I was introduced to power metal and old school heavy metal (mainly angra, shaman, blind guardian, tuatha de dannan, mago de oz, helloween, iron maiden). Then I just started to listen to some more thrash and prog, such as metallica, pantera, orphaned land and dream theater. After that, came children of bodom, salem, sadist and dimmu borgir, which was when I started to listen to melodic death & black metal. Now I'm into practically every metal sub-genre, except for the "raw" black and death metal, like gorgoroth, mayhem, and grindcore bands. By the way, some numetal bands go to techno, as well as some glam metal bands get too "gay" .
24.11.2008 - 18:02
PM
Hail Lusitânia
Well, i guess it was about... the last week! hehe, nah, just kidding...

It was like 4 ou 5 years ago... When I was about 13 years old..

Before that I was kinda lost in the music space, i liked Hip-Hop and those things you listen at the radio... How lost i was...

One day, i switched the TV on on MTV2 (i think; now i simply ignore TV [except some programs] ) and there it was....

'Through The Wire' - Dragon Force (hehe, yeah, misspelled, but in fact they were there!)

Immediately, i found my reason to live, the purpose of my existance: I was born to be a metaller, and DragonForce is my messiah, and my favourite band for ever more.

Why did i take so long to figure this out? bah....
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
25.11.2008 - 02:41
ShadowMaiden
Account deleted
I can soo relate to what you are writing...!
Actually I started to listen to metal pretty late, it just really started about 2½-3 years ago (2005), back then I was 17...

Before that I had listened a bit to Rammstein and Linkin Park, that was as hard as it got, back then...

It actually started when we where driving from Prague to Denmark in bus... I sat next to a guy from my class who listened to Within Temptaion and Nightwish (pretty high - so I could hear it all) the entire way, and I liked it, so had to asked what it was and then he just started to introduce me to all the amazing bands I know now...

I too have a big brother who was/is into this music, but back then it just didn't get my atention...and it is amazin to think about what a big change my "music-jump" has made in our relationship... suddenly we have a lot in common...

It's hard for me to emagine that it's less than 4 years ago that i was such a big "pop-girly-girl", with everything that comes with it...oO(don't know if any of you remember the band Busted?...well anyway, that was what I thougt was rock 4-5 years ago...HAHA - what a change)
25.11.2008 - 21:43
When I was about 10-11, I would sit in the truck with my step dad and he'll always pop in either a Metallica, Megadeth, or Death CD. This was about the same time that I saw the Wait And Bleed video on mtv2. Also my brother downloaded a couple tracks from Dark Army, Dying Fetus, and Biohazard. The rest is history.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
26.11.2008 - 06:27
laid2rest
Account deleted
I probably only really got into metal like last year. But I can trace my roots back to 2003. When I was 9 years old. I brought Linkin Park's Meteora, and it was really the first album that made me LOVE music. I listened to the album none stop. Everynight before I went to sleep, I'd pop it on and listen to it the whole way through, then go to sleep. At that time, I now find it hilarious, but the songs 'Lying From You' and 'Faint' were too heavy for me, and I couldn't quite get into them. It really moved me from rap/hip-hop to rock acts like GNR. But then, when I picked up a Queen cd, my life changed forever. I actually cared what the lyrics were, I cared who band members were, what their names were, what instruments they played, I cared if they were good musicians, and I loved the music. Then, one rainy school day, I went into the libary where my friend was listening to music. I was like "what are ya listening to?" he chucked me an earphone and I heard the first metal song. It was Slipknot. About 10 seconds of either 'Before I Forget' or 'Left Behind'. I then downloaded some songs, loved it. Got into bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Lamb of God, and stuff like that all within a few months just because people said they were good.

I was 12 when I listened to what I thought was the heaviest music, with the most insane solo's ever. Now I'm 14 and have heard enough thrash solo's to not be that impressed when I hear an insanley fast solo, I sometime just go "meh" and skip the song. Holy shit this is long. Sorry for telling you my entire progression of music. Well, I haven't 'progressed' persay, 'expanded' is a better term for it. I am able to listen to Slayer, then change the song to some Linkin Park. And I still think Queen are a very good band. I'm probably more open minded than the normal metalhead, but that's just how I am with music.

Metal has helped me progress so fast with music that I have only thought a band were the fucking shit for a week or two. Which goes against the saying that when a metalhead likes a band, they like it forever. But I do reckon that I have progressed faster than most other people. And I wish I could say, like someone said before me, that I heard the first line of the trooper and my life changed like that. But, atleast I can say that I have the trooper on CD, and on a live DVD, which alot of 14 year-olds probably can't.
07.12.2008 - 13:53
benvolent
When I read all these (hi)stories, I start feeling a bit old - and that's the first time! weird!

anyways I also had a big brother, who was into AC/DC and Guns N' Roses, but that never got me. I hated that stuff with 10-11 years and listened to the beatles (yeah!) and bad punk like greenday (in fact I didn't know other..). The first metalbands I loved were Tool and Metallica, although I never considered me to be a metalhead, as listening far more to grunge and rock.
Really listening to metal and starting to explore the whole genre came with Mastodon, which I saw by chance on a festival. That was in 2004 - so really late! But when I saw them, I understood, that this is mine, and it had just waited for me. A wonderful feeling!
I can't define a genre of metal, which I like most, because bands usually just pick me up - or not, and I listen to far more, than only metal, but it's become part of my life.
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
08.12.2008 - 22:53
Saitenhexerin
When I was 12 years old (a mere 8 eight years ago *sigh*) I walked into a big record store, and Iron Maiden just released their great album Brave New World. And there was this big Artwork of Eddie over London at the end of one of the aisles in that shop. I was really fascinated by this, and so I took one of the CDs. I put it in and from that moment on I loved Iron Maiden and started to search for other music from that genre. I actually did not even know at first, that I was listening to Heavy Metal, I just loved it!
Others folloed, namely Deep Purple (from my father's record Collection), Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, Machine Head etc.

so far
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
15.12.2008 - 04:09
bard
Sometime in junior high an older friend of mine burned me some Buckethead CDs, which I found bizarre, yet much more thought provoking and creative than any kind of music I had previously listened to. From there I jumped to other things Buckethead is involved in like Praxis and I bought a guitar.

Before long I stumbled onto Finntroll, continued into Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, and other Folk metal bands, until of course CoB sucked me in for many, many months, until I felt like getting some better guidance, so I came here.
----
19.12.2008 - 15:35
Ascendant187
My dad is a fan of Deep Purple, ACDC and Black Sabbath so I heard various songs from those three bands at an early age. I think, even at that age, I preferred Deep Purple over Sabbath and especially over ACDC (who I honestly don't have a lot of time for). When I was 11 an older friend of mine (he must've been around 15 at the time) introduced me to At The Gates and Emperor. Needless to say I was blown away and have been a fan ever since.

Originally I was all about death metal but have since branched out drastically and, unfortunately along the way, I've gotten into some "nu" stuff. I don't consider myself one of the elitist types; I tend to listen to everything with an open mind but I definitely favour metal over everything else.
20.12.2008 - 13:20
Slayer666
I was always into "dark stuff",horror movies,video games,etc.But my metal journey started when I was 11.A friend (a few years older than me) once brought Cradle of Filth's album "Damnation and A Day" to a school party.No one knew what it was,so they let him play it.The first song played was "The Smoke of Her Burning" (my favourite song even today).Everyone was terrified,but i actually LIKED IT.A lot.And so,thanks to the wonders of Internet I found out about that type of music,many bands......And free downloads.
At first I listened to Rammstein and Iron Maiden,but eventualy I got bored,and looked for those who introduced me to this music (CoF) and then.......revelaton!Since then,I moved more and more to the total Underground scene.I ended up with Nortt,Xasthur,Gorgoroth,Dark Funeral......
Of course,I still listen to some nu (if Slipknot is nu),gothic (there are a few Nightwish songs i kind of like) and softer metal forms.But,extreme metal forms (besides freakin' Tharsh,I can't stand it) will always be number 1 for me.Oh,yeah I just love Doom too.
28.12.2008 - 02:11
silkmadness
Well.. it was 1998 and i was only 15 years old. My older brothers had many LPs and CDs from AC/DC, Van Halen and Led Zeppelin. Eventually, I became a Zeppelin fan..buying some of their cds after. Then, months later, my brother had a very old VHS tape from a friend. I looked at it and i saw this name: Iron Maiden - Live After Death

I didn´t really knew Maiden and i only could recognize their logo, which has a singular design. I saw that tape.. Many many times. I hadn´t seen nothing like that before. That stage production (World Slavery Tour), that attitude, that energy, the songs, the style... I was totally blown away. Since then, Iron Maiden is my life as a music fan. I enjoy very much other bands like Dream Theater, Van Halen, Priest, Metallica and even Slipknot, Disturbed or Lamb of God (more recent bands).. But Maiden always stays untouchable at the top.
----
Silk Madness
28.12.2008 - 08:12
Yooden
I was about 14 when I heard Run to hills blasting out of the tv, was a commercial for the best of the beast-album.
Only like 5 seconds of the chorus and I was hooked, went out and bought every maiden-album within six months.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
31.12.2008 - 18:07
In Bone Factory
It was 1999 when I listened to Iron Maiden's 1990 album named "No Prayer For The Dying" in my friend's room and it was a start.
Other bands such as Metallica, Tool, Sepultura, and Megadeth were effective as well.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
14.01.2009 - 05:16
JackSyn
Well i was 13 i was playing counter-strike at this net caffe place and i was just checking the music there in the sharefiles or whatever and i found this folder labeled music and um i just played all the songs they were mostly disturbed/in flames and here i am and ya it was "Cloud Connected" by in flames that REALLY intrigued me.
15.01.2009 - 23:53
written in stone
Account deleted
Well when i was a young kid my dad always listen to black sabbath, pink foyld, led zepplin, you know all the classics so i was pretty much into that till i was 14 then i got into a little punk bad religion, rise against, black flag, soical D then i really got into punk. then came along my first tattoo a grim reaper and my buddy who was older than me we smoked up alot he said check out these guys and that was bodom somthing wild - lake bodom. every since then it was metal i still go back to my punk i still like it, i still go to shows and shit but i dont know why ever since then i just been into finnish metal checking out all the other finnish bands out there norther, enteral tears of sorrow, norther, you know and yes i do like him not cause of bam but they where one of the first finnish bands i liked back in the day. somthing about thoes harsh voicals and extream solo's i love and gets the blood pumping and makes your head just bang. and i was trying to get into other scandinavian bands i like amon amarth. dimmu borgir and like belmoth there pretty good but somthing about the fin's that makes me go nuts who knows maybe in a past life i was finnish, lol. thats my fucking story. whats yours?
19.01.2009 - 13:42
U47
Well, I got into metal in 1998 or so... a friend of mine really was into Sepultura and that stuff, so I bought their "Live under a pale grey sky" album and some Metallica releases that time. Later on I've started to get interested in more extreme styles of metal, so I got my first death metal album (think I only bought it because of the cool cover artwork) which was "Gore Obsessed" by Cannibal Corpse. And then a friend of mine gave me some black metal stuff (think it was Nargaroth, I'm not quite sure) and then it turned out that this was the sound I've been searching for many years... so, think it was the same way most of the others came into metal
19.01.2009 - 18:03
meitene
Account deleted
Well, it's nothing interesting. It might be about 7 or less years ago. First groups I listened to was Iron Maiden, AC/DC and other like that. And also our latvian band Skyforger.
And the persons who got me into this metal world was my cousin Baiba un my older sister Dace.
Now I listen to almost every kind of metal, but not only.
19.01.2009 - 18:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=37160] on 19.01.2009 at 18:03

And the persons who got me into this metal world was my cousin Baiba un my older sister Dace.
Now I listen to almost every kind of metal, but not only.

Dace Ragana and Baiba Crow Princess
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.01.2009 - 18:59
meitene
Account deleted
No, no. They just have names like Ragana and Crow Princess. They aren't even in one age.
20.01.2009 - 17:14
Koen Smits
In 1989! a guy from school sold me 4 LP's 'cause he needed money. I didn't want the LP's, but the guy was "big" so I bought them anyway.
If I can remember it was: W.A.S.P - Live in the raw
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Mercyful Fate - Don't break the oath
Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys part 1
I listened to it when I was mad, but only Helloween and Def Leppard were ok to me at that time.
In 1990 I got ...and justice for all...for my birthday. (I heard "one" on the radio and was lost) Oh yeah, I also got "Poison" or something from Alice Cooper
THE breakthrough was christmas that year! My father gave me money (75? was a lot of money) and I went to yhe only metal shop I knew and I found "Kill 'em all, Master of puppets(double LP) and Ride the lightning(double LP)
When I heard these albums I was sold! I soon started to listen to Nuclear Assault and Kreator.
My first 20 albums included Napalm Death-Harmony corruption; Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick; Kreator-Coma of souls(purple vinyl); Slayer-Seasons in the abyss; Entombed-Clandestine; Nuclear Assault-Survive(pic disc) and some AC/DC albums.
Nice start for a 14 year old I think.
----
RIP: Frank Vandenbroucke (6 nov 1974 - 12 oct 2009)

Written by Bad English on 05.04.2014 at 15:05

but spoil thius film is like spoil porn and say porn ends whit cum shot ...
20.01.2009 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Sorry for quoting you once again my southern friend.

Written by Koen Smits on 20.01.2009 at 17:14

In 1989! a guy from school sold me 4 LP's 'cause he needed money. I didn't want the LP's, but the guy was "big" so I bought them anyway.
If I can remember it was: W.A.S.P - Live in the raw
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Mercyful Fate - Don't break the oath
Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys part 1

Two CLASSICS there amongst your first four purchases.

Quote:

In 1990 I got ...and justice for all...for my birthday. (I heard "one" on the radio and was lost) Oh yeah, I also got "Poison" or something from Alice Cooper

Most probably Poison cause that was released as single in late 1989 and was quite a big top 10 hit in the Benelux.

Quote:

THE breakthrough was christmas that year! My father gave me money (75? was a lot of money) and I went to yhe only metal shop I knew and I found "Kill 'em all, Master of puppets(double LP) and Ride the lightning(double LP)
When I heard these albums I was sold!

Damn you, I never managed to get hold of that Ride The Lightning double LP, all I have is the Roadrunner single LP version of it

Quote:

I soon started to listen to Nuclear Assault and Kreator.
My first 20 albums included Napalm Death-Harmony corruption; Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick; Kreator-Coma of souls(purple vinyl); Slayer-Seasons in the abyss; Entombed-Clandestine; Nuclear Assault-Survive(pic disc) and some AC/DC albums.
Nice start for a 14 year old I think.

GREAT start for a 14-year-old I would say
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2009 - 20:48
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 19.01.2009 at 18:17

Dace Ragana and Baiba Crow Princess

It's not me, I'm definitely not meitene's oldest sister. But yeah, she have the same birth name as mine.

Anyway, I think this summer I will celebrate 4 years since I started to listen metal.
04.02.2009 - 01:02
Iudicium_86
Account deleted
About 10 years ago. When I was about 12. I borrowed a Marilyn Manson album (Antichrist Superstar) from an older friend. From then on, Metal was my only music.
Was funny cause at the time I was searching for my music and what my identity was. Went through everything. Country, Pop, Hip-Hop, regular Rock-n-Roll, Classical. Couldn't find anything that matched me. Then I get handed this Metal album, and it's a sudden realization. XD
04.02.2009 - 22:47
IronBlackZepp
Well I started listening to Led Zeppelin when I was about 15, that was 5 years ago. I was introduced to them by my mom who had seen them live in 1973. I started to like the band alot the more I listened. Then I started liking Guns n Roses and Van Halen when I was 16. by the time I was 17 I got into all kinds of metal bands starting with Black Sabbath.