07. The Flame Of Youth
08. Trail Of Broken Hearts
09. Lost Souls In Endless Time [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
01. My Spirit Will Go On [live]
02. Through The Fire And Flames [video]
03. Operation Ground and Pound [video]
04. Rockumentary: Behind The Scenes

Through over production, unbearably cheesy lyrical content and musical masturbation, one wonders how an album like this could bring a band such mainstream success so quickly.

The first track 'Through The Fire And The Flames' comes on and it's amazing: insane guitar work, top notch vocals, and some cheesy (yet fun to sing along to) lyrics. The next song has pretty much the same format but with a slightly less catchy tune....and then the entire album seems to follow this pattern. It eventually comes to a point where it's not even songs anymore, but just Herman and Sam showing how fast they can play, which doesn't really offer any listening pleasure to the listener (hence the term musical masturbation). So you can fit 30 000 notes in in 0.5 seconds - there is no point to it if your song structure sucks beyond that point.

Another problem I have is how contrived this album seems. Like these guys are obsessed with filling out the power metal cliche with really meaningless lyrics like these: "Fighting hard/fighting on for the steel/through the wastelands evermore" What the hell is that even supposed to mean? We get it, you are power metal, now write something different, perhaps some lyrics you haven't used for every other song in your discography.

OK, now that I've got that out of my system, I'll try and find something likable about this album. When Herman and Sam aren't wanking off, they do have some very interesting material offering great heroic licks. Too bad they don't exercise this skill as often as they should. And yes, the music is cliche but it can be fun if you are in the right mood - otherwise it's just tedious.

Maybe I was being a little harsh on this album, but after sitting through countless cliched power metal albums, when you stumble across yet another one that seems to be trying even harder to fill out that cliche, you start to get a little frustrated.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Doc G. | 16.11.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 297 users
17.01.2008 - 23:00
Rating: 6
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I feel exactly the same way about the songs becoming "not even songs anymore, but just Herman and Sam showing how fast they can play". The one song which kind of stood out uniquly was Body Breakdown, mainly because of the bass solo. Now if they just structured the songs better and maybe changed the way they did leads (think megadeth meets stratovarious) and you'd have a truely epic band.
23.01.2008 - 15:13
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I think that this band is great fun, just because they are so over the top cliché that it becomes ridicolous. If you see them live and listen to the completely meaningless lyrics you feel almost sure that this band is just a parody. The music is not neceserily good but I can still enjoy this album. I think that the song structures of about half of the songs are pretty lousy, but that's the only bad thing. Still I wouldn't rate it more than 7-8 because it's not GOOD, it's just enjoyable. Ah, now I want to write a review myself

And of course, good review!
10.02.2008 - 20:14
Rating: 9
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Quote:
30 000 notes in in 0.5 seconds
lol!

Maybe what tehy try to do is to mock all the power metal clichés, adding their inhuman speed, making a very fun band, and some pretty cool (even anti-depresive) albums.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
09.08.2008 - 16:47
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Shut up, this stuff is awesome, and I hate Power Metal with a passion
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
20.08.2008 - 20:35
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I hate DragonForce, its one of those bands that make people hate power metal and stereotype PM "meaningless lyrics with fast guitars" I DF members should be shot, or at last have their fingers cut off
----
20.08.2008 - 21:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by 4look4rd on 20.08.2008 at 20:35

I hate DragonForce, its one of those bands that make people hate power metal and stereotype PM "meaningless lyrics with fast guitars" I DF members should be shot, or at last have their fingers cut off

Well put. I dont think Ive ever met a Dragonforce fan over the age of 16, its all about flash, I mean, I do enjoy watching the music videos for the same reason one goes to the circus to see acrobats and what not. But when your not watching the videos you notice how talentless they are at writing songs, theyve written 3 songs in there entire career, thats about it, every song theyve written is pretty much a slight variation of those 3 songs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.08.2008 - 17:09
hearts_alive
Account deleted
I saw these guys support Machine Head. Their onstage "guitar-wankery" quickly grew tiresome, especially as they seemed to playing their songs at half the speed of which they sound on the album.

Good/Accurate review!
21.08.2008 - 23:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 21.08.2008 at 17:26

Written by Doc G. on 20.08.2008 at 21:41

Written by 4look4rd on 20.08.2008 at 20:35

Well put. I dont think Ive ever met a Dragonforce fan over the age of 16, its all about flash, I mean, I do enjoy watching the music videos for the same reason one goes to the circus to see acrobats and what not. But when your not watching the videos you notice how talentless they are at writing songs, theyve written 3 songs in there entire career, thats about it, every song theyve written is pretty much a slight variation of those 3 songs.

How is suggesting death and/or dismemberment as a punishment for a bands artistic expression "well put"?

Agreed, though - they are lackluster songwriters.

Uhhhh...I was talking about the first part of the post.....About stereotyping and such.
----
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 22:37
DanielViking
Power metal stuff fast as fuck, loud and harder as you can get. the quality of these musicians is beyond imagination. great album. 8
04.01.2009 - 04:51
Rating: 7
BlankFile
Unfortunetly i have to agree with the whole review. In fact im thinking of selling my Dragonforce albums, because they´re music is too much repetitive. It isn´t satisfying anymore, it only becomes more boring at each listening. It´s sad but true.
03.03.2009 - 09:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by DanielViking on 17.11.2008 at 22:37

Power metal stuff fast as fuck, loud and harder as you can get. the quality of these musicians is beyond imagination. great album. 8

Musicianship should be about song writing quality as well. It pisses me off when people try to turn music into a science or a sport rather than art. Dragonforce can't write songs.
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2009 - 23:51
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Quote:

Like these guys are obsessed with filling out the power metal cliche with really meaningless lyrics like these: "Fighting hard/fighting on for the steel/through the wastelands evermore" What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Haha...When i first listened to this album, i thought there's probably something wrong with my english, that's why i find no relevance in their lyrics.
In spite of the senseless cheesy lyrics, i somewhat like the sound of their music and the speed....
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
13.04.2009 - 07:10
Rating: 5
Hrothdane
Written by Doc G. on 03.03.2009 at 09:59

Written by DanielViking on 17.11.2008 at 22:37

Musicianship should be about song writing quality as well. It pisses me off when people try to turn music into a science or a sport rather than art. Dragonforce can't write songs.

Well put. In an interview I read, the band members said themselves don't consider what they do as any form of art. They even said that they would disband if they fade out of the spotlight.

They are like the guys you contract to paint your ceiling. They know how to use a brush, how to paint quickly and cleanly, and the technical minutiae of painting, but they are no Michelangelo. Art is more than craftsmanship. Art requires some kind of message or purpose to define it. Dragonforce, by their own admission, doesn't care about art, and that disregard permeates this whole album.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.04.2009 - 07:52
Lord_Regnier
Written by Butters49 on 16.11.2008 at 22:37

DragonForce is like that Videogame Hedgehog guy in a never ending level.

Funny, as I use the term 'videogame cheesemetal' to describe Dragonforce's music.

Does anyone here ever listened to Demoniac, the Black Metal band in which Herman Li and Sam Totman played before Dragonforce? Really awful. Imagine music close to what Dragonforce are doing now, but with horrible semi-harsh vocals.

@Dr.Rock: I totally agree with you on the over-the-top cheesiness, the cliché aspect and musical masturbation. This music has no artistic value, from my point of view. Especially for someone like me who tends to dislike high-pitched guitar shredding. I can enjoy nice guitar solos, of course, but I never listen to metal music for the solos themselves. Also, Dragonforce's music sounds like a studio trick made only for the sake of money. I don't like when bands sound like a studio trick (Rhapsody is another example here of a band that sounds fake).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.06.2009 - 22:03
Wyrd
I love Power Metal, but DragonForce is just Killing it and I Hate them so much that
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
18.09.2009 - 11:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I still think this isnt that bad, compared to crap they have introduced last year...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.05.2010 - 06:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Butters49 on 16.11.2008 at 22:37

DragonForce is like that Videogame Hedgehog guy in a never ending level.

Duuude.. that Hedgehog is SONIC! How can you forget his name?

But about the album, althou I don't care much about Power metal and it's directions, I do agree on the subject about the cliche lyrics... it's funny and cool on the first couple of songs, but a whole album of this is too much cheese even for me...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.06.2010 - 23:06
Gummingurru
Accurate review
the first time I listened to trough the fire and the flames,I loved it.
But then I listened to the cd.ALL THE MUSICS ARE THE SAME!
they play the guitar very well(or fast),but they use it so much that you just can't see the difference.
And then I payed attention to the Lyrics.THEY JUST DON'T MAKE SENSE!
THis cd and all the others of dragonforce just throwed my first impression in the trash,and I don't think the guitars are as good as I thought before.
Though the musics are the same, I think the CD deserves a 7.5 , because of the epic musics.They have great potential, but they just can't make different musics.A pity
24.06.2010 - 23:16
Lord_Regnier
Since "Sonic Firestorm", all they're doing is releasing the same bullshit rehashed album after album.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.08.2010 - 17:22
Kennoth
Sure, their songwriting is shit, we all get it. Now while not defending them in any way, Cannibal Corpse and most of the brutal death metal, goregrind and such bands can't write for shit (just include as much child rape and gore as you can and you'll do fine) but nobody seems to have any problem with that.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
08.08.2010 - 20:01
Rating: 4
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 08.08.2010 at 17:22

Sure, their songwriting is shit, we all get it. Now while not defending them in any way, Cannibal Corpse and most of the brutal death metal, goregrind and such bands can't write for shit (just include as much child rape and gore as you can and you'll do fine) but nobody seems to have any problem with that.

Cannibal Corpse =/= brutal death.
Cannibal Corpse are generic DM with gore lyrics, the fact that you use them in your petty anti-death metal/goregrind crusade shows how much you know.
Also, I'd say a lot of those bands are far better than StudioForce.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.08.2010 - 21:35
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 08.08.2010 at 20:01

Sorry to disagree but, imo, Cannibal Corpse is nothing else than Brutal Death.
Perhaps more old school than some more modern Brutal Death bands, but it's not pure old school DM like Bolt Thrower or Cancer or Death or some others.

I agree that the band is trendy among teens and commercialized a lot in a way but their music has nothing commercial.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
09.08.2010 - 01:34
Kennoth

Cannibal Corpse are generic DM with gore lyrics, the fact that you use them in your petty anti-death metal/goregrind crusade shows how much you know.

I never said I was a DM expert, and no, unlike yourself, I don't have a need to go on a crusades of any kind. Though pretty much most people would agree that they are brutal death...
----
09.08.2010 - 01:41
Quote:
Though pretty much most people would agree that they are brutal death...

Would that be "most metalheads" or "most people, regardless of how much they know about metal"?
09.08.2010 - 11:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 09.08.2010 at 01:34

I never said I was a DM expert, and no, unlike yourself, I don't have a need to go on a crusades of any kind. Though pretty much most people would agree that they are brutal death...

Yet you attacked it because you're butthurt about Scar Symmetry.
----
09.08.2010 - 15:23
Kennoth
Written by RobotPolarBear on 09.08.2010 at 01:41

Quote:
Though pretty much most people would agree that they are brutal death...

Would that be "most metalheads" or "most people, regardless of how much they know about metal"?

The former. Naturally though, some people will claim otherwise just to prove me wrong.
----
09.08.2010 - 15:24
Kennoth
Written by vezzy on 09.08.2010 at 11:15

I hardly call it an attack. I was merely drawing a parallel between band with one nonsense lyrics that can get away with it and another that can't.
----
09.08.2010 - 15:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Kennoth on 09.08.2010 at 15:24

I hardly call it an attack. I was merely drawing a parallel between band with one nonsense lyrics that can get away with it and another that can't.

Well although I think Cannibal Corpse is crap, they are musically a lot more interesting to me, plus they can pull off their music live, whereas DragonFarce can't.
I agree that both band's lyrics are totally worthless. But then again I don't care for lyrics normally.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2010 - 15:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 09.08.2010 at 15:24

Except one band actually has decent music for the first four albums (great compared to DragonForce) and average/slightly below later on. It's the music.
----
07.09.2010 - 15:40
I thought you all liked cliche, at least when it came to metal
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.

Hits total: 8302 | This month: 25