Metal Storm logo
The Drone Thread

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 31.01.2008 - 17:58
Finally what we always wanted, the ultimate thread about Drone. I figured since most of the Drone-related threads die a quick and painless death, somebody should do something about it!

So discuss Drone in all it's forms and shapes here, for it is a great genre. Let me start with some of my fav. bands:

The Angelic Process: Due to their nature of Drone/Doom and their awesomeness, I've included them in here. "Weighing Souls With Sand" was a frikking masterpiece and their "Coma Waering" is great too. Absolutely amazing stuff, in my opinion, though I might have overplayed it a little. Full review here..

Hjarnidaudi: Another amazing band. Their (his) debut album will schorch your balls off, so much heat is present on this album. One of my favourite bands atm and certainly one of my most-played. Full review here..

Hlidolf: The former version of Hjarnidaudi. Same dude, different music. The only album, V01D", is a collosal astral space trip, and a long one too. Seventy minutes of pure void-music, hard to digest, but good.

Furthermore I have ordered two more Drone albums, which I cannot wait to hear: "Fulci - Dead Sky/Red Lights" (more Drone Rock, I believe) and "Hyatari - The Light Carriers". I'll post my opinion on them here, hopefully soon!
06.03.2010 - 21:39
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I recently discovered a rather good drone band with a some free demos for download. Pretty darn good just for demos, and he has full-length releases, but I've not heard any. It's free and the dude makes some good music, so I'd recommend to check it out.

http://www.myspace.com/bringmetheheadoforion
23.04.2010 - 21:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Earth is just too fantastic. Especially now that the sun's out again. I suspect I will be listening to their stuff a lot this summer.

I wasn't really into HEX before, but that has changed. It's much more minimalistic than The Bees, but it definitely has it's own charm. And let's not forget Hibernaculum, which is brilliant in it's own way too. On Hibernaculum, Earth's sound and style is fuller, thicker than usual, while sticking to the 'tumbleweed' approach. It's a bit shorter too, so whenever I'm in for a quick Earth-fix, I pick that one.

I'm still a bit hesitant to really dive into old Earth, though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.04.2010 - 22:24
spirit_inblack
harshhead
You're right on the money there. I think that different months require different drone, like the summer ones are better for lighter drone that isn't so dark, and the whole western sound of Earth is a great atmosphere for that. Honestly, I haven't even listened to "The Bees..." yet, even though it's supposed to be fantastic and has been out for ages. There have been other priorities, but I'm totally going to buy it and a shirt or hoodie with that amazing art on it.

As for the old Earth, the only thing I've listened to is "Earth 2" and I like it, but those long tracks don't have variation in them and it's not something I'd listen to regularly, even though it's a cornerstone of drone.
23.04.2010 - 22:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
'The Bees...' is probably the most catharsis-inducing album ever produced, a kind of purifying, cleansing music. Easily Earth's best for me and one of my all time favourites.

I also love the album art, it's spectacular, though oddly enough I'm not sure I'd want to wear a shirt with it on, I'd much rather have a giant, high quality print of it.
23.04.2010 - 22:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Oh yeah, about the cover art... I love it. In fact, it was one of the main reason to purchase three special vinyl-frame-holders. I wanted one on my wall with The Bees... for decoration purposes. I happily bought the "bible edition" of The Bees for way too much money, then when I got it, I realized it's actually a booktype of release... I can only get the cover art out by ripping the thing apart...

But yeah, definitely a fantastic release.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.04.2010 - 23:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 23.04.2010 at 21:05

I'm still a bit hesitant to really dive into old Earth, though.

How old are we talking about?... Because "Pentastar: In the Style of Demons" it's very sweet man. It has this kind of melodies that makes me think of Harleys, the sun, hot chicks... just moving slowly my head back and forward.

Phase 3 is also in a similar vein but much more minimalistic. And their debut well, I found it boring. It's just pure drone, the stuff Sunn O))) worship a lot... So it's only the debut I don't really recommend.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2010 - 23:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah? Hmmm... maybe I ought to check it out then. But I'm too goddamn broke... Well, I'll keep it in mind.
----

20.11.2010 - 15:53
IronAngel
I just gave Earth my first proper listen. Phase 3, that is. It's awesome, catchy and fairly easy listening as far as drone goes. Sunn O))) is typically boring, this isn't. (Alright, it gets a bit long-winded towards the end, but especially the first four tracks are pure gold.)

The debut album is the lowest rated on MS, which is surprising because it got the best marks over at Rate Your Music. Gotta check it out myself.
20.11.2010 - 16:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have to say I rarely listen to old Earth even though I have huge respect for their sound back then. New generation Earth on the other hand gets regular play. Awesome shizzle.

Decent drone is so hard to find.
17.03.2011 - 00:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn, sometimes I stumble on a band that has the exact sound I look for in music. It's pretty rare but I randomly listened to an outfit called Barn Owl and they pretty much qualify wholeheartedly. They seem to straddle the line between the dark ambient style of the likes of TenHornedBeast and occasionally notch it up with a more metal, riff orientated approach but all their music is atmospheric, ominous and generally quite awesome. Anyway here's a couple of random tracks off of 'From Our Mouths a Perpetual Light' album:

And a slightly more metal one:
17.03.2011 - 07:37
whatsacow
Unfortunately, I'm newer to the genre, and only really know the more "Mainstream" bands in the genre such as Earth, and Sun O)))
But as a massive extreme doom fan, (these genres being quite similar) I'll have to invest in more.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.03.2011 - 19:25
Slayer666
Just read Lucas' review for "Weighing Souls With Sand" by The Angelic Process, so naturally, like a thieving bastard that I am, I downloaded it and started listening. I'm very pleased for now, it's really unlike anything I've ever heard. The soundscapes are just... fuckin' wow. Gotta get drunk and listen to it once, I can only imagine what it would sound like then.
17.03.2011 - 20:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 17.03.2011 at 19:25

Just read Lucas' review for "Weighing Souls With Sand" by The Angelic Process, so naturally, like a thieving bastard that I am, I downloaded it and started listening. I'm very pleased for now, it's really unlike anything I've ever heard. The soundscapes are just... fuckin' wow. Gotta get drunk and listen to it once, I can only imagine what it would sound like then.

Drunk? Not sure if that's the way to experience it. Better grab some acid.
----

17.03.2011 - 21:25
IronAngel
Yeah, Barn Owl are really cool. I've known them only for a while myself. The Conjurer album sounds a lot like modern Earth. Check it out if you didn't already. You should also check out Melmac's new album La Désert Avance. It's on Spotify. Nothing groundbreaking but pretty nice drone.

Another enjoyable album on Spotify is Demian Johnston & Mink Stole - Trailed & Kept. It's not exactly drone metal, but it's on the noisier, more oppressive side of drone anyway:

Another interesting gem on Spotify is Robedoor's Pacific Drift EP. I wouldn't necessarily call it drone metal either, but it has electric guitars and stuff. Then again, I think it's a little unnecessary to talk about drone metal as something distinct from the rest of drone. I don't really see what's so metal about TenHornedBeast either, for example.

I'm really excited to hear the new Boris albums. Already heard the Japan-only New Album, but I'll probably order the European releases once they're out. I don't think they're going to be drone, though.

Oh, here's my review for the new Earth album. I wrote it for RateYourMusic so I couldn't submit it to MS, but I guess I'll just post it here (posted it in the album topic earlier):

"It's Earth. I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm not disappointed either.

You know the drill by now: slow, Morriconesque guitar riffs repeated over and over again, and a touch of cello for flavor. Despite the popular tag, Earth haven't played drone in years. Instead, you can expect a rock band playing with a minimalistic ambient approach. I can see the post-rock connection, but it mostly boils down to "instrumental, atmospheric music played with rock instruments." You won't find crescendos, walls of sound, quiet-loud dynamics or anything of the sort here. The only track that grows and builds tension along the way is the monumental title track, and even then it's quite subtle. In real Earth fashion, the slow build-up is let go of around the 16:30 mark and all that tension disperses as quietly as it appeared. The listener is teased with the hint of a climax that never comes. It's a fitting end for an album that is essentiallly anticlimatic.

The appeal of the album is in the nostalgic Sphagetti Western soundscapes and most of all the mesmerizing riffs. The opener Old Black is a highlight in both respects. It's one guitar motif repeated over the first six and a half minutes and then another riff for the last two. The cello weaves a sad background and the drums do their job subtly and elegantly. It's a really simple song but it's so good it could easily go on for double the length and I wouldn't get bored. The three tracks between Old Black and the title track are all solid but fail to make quite as memorable an impression. Hell's Winter does have a wonderfully warm and low, bassy sound. Play it on good headphones and it's like velvet in your ears.

Yeah, we've heard this all before. But there's no reason not to want to hear more Earth, and Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I is pretty much as good as any of their albums. It has its distinct character and sound, but it's not too distinct to really tip the scales one way or another."
17.03.2011 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 17.03.2011 at 20:50

The best I could do was smoking hookah with my friends during the entire "The Bees..." Not drug but we sure as hell got really chilled.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2011 - 01:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 17.03.2011 at 21:25

Another interesting gem on Spotify is Robedoor's Pacific Drift EP.

Robedoor is a magic word with me. The Pacific Drift EP is pretty good but if you haven't heard 'Rancor Keeper' then you may have well not heard them at all (it's not on Spotify). Pure unadulatrated drone/noise of the most magnificent form. There's nothing better in its field.

I'm not gonna get into a long debate about whether or not drone bands (or particular examples of the genre) are metal but TenHornedBeast, whilst occasionally straddling the line, do indeed fall outside of the general conceptions of drone, into the realms of dark ambient and the like. To be fair that's why they're so good. Most drone doom is pretty shite, relying on the sustained chord structure for impact but really having no concept of texture or depth. But then "drone" is far more of an established idea outside of metal.

But no doubt, new Earth is not metal at all. Awesome, not metal. As for 'The Conjurer' album the two very short songs sound like modern Earth, the other two, lengthy songs, are sufficiently different.
18.03.2011 - 19:06
Slayer666
Written by Lucas on 17.03.2011 at 20:50

Written by Slayer666 on 17.03.2011 at 19:25

Meh, other than rather large amounts of alcohol, I don't do psycho-active substances.
Anyway, thanks for the review. Come to think of it, I've found out about almost all of my recent favorites from your reviews.
Honestly, where do you dig up all that obscure shit?
18.03.2011 - 21:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 18.03.2011 at 19:06

Honestly, where do you dig up all that obscure shit?

You can bet a bunch of it is from here: http://www.paradigms-recordings.com/main.html

If you were to throw your hat onto that record label it would more than likely land on a total gem of a band.
18.03.2011 - 21:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Paradigms Recordings is a very cool label, that's absolutely correct. I can guarantee you that anything on there is unique & special. Do I like everything on there? Hell no! But at least you know it's going to be something new and fresh.

Other than a few labels with a good name gem-digging isn't much besides reading, reading, reading, reading, reading and reading. Digging through forums, blogs, etc. It's all a matter of peer to peer recommendation I guess.
----

18.03.2011 - 22:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah there's a few bands on there that are quite twee or whatnot but even those can be interesting sometimes.
03.06.2011 - 12:41
(((O)))
Big BUMP here.

I just received "Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere - S/T" and it's pretty good however right now im playing it on my sound system but I will listen to it again tonight when it's dark and spooky outside (with headphones)

EDIT: This band is fucking minimalistic and it doesn't work for me but like I said I will listen to it again tonight and I really hope it sounds better.

Here is a short but good track from their "Those Who Dwell Beyond"-split.
03.06.2011 - 13:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 03.06.2011 at 12:41

Big BUMP here.

I just received "Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere - S/T" and it's pretty good however right now im playing it on my sound system but I will listen to it again tonight when it's dark and spooky outside (with headphones)

Heh, one of the few drone bands I don't like. I love their name but their sound leaves me wanting a lot more.

Though this is based off of D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A. so I'll give the new one a try, might be quite different.
03.06.2011 - 13:15
(((O)))
Written by Guest on 03.06.2011 at 13:11

Written by (((O))) on 03.06.2011 at 12:41

Big BUMP here.

Heh, one of the few drone bands I don't like. I love their name but their sound leaves me wanting a lot more.

Though this is based off of D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A. so I'll give the new one a try, might be quite different.

Damn, you quoted me before I edited my post!

..but yeah, this album isn't that good either but I hope it works better with headphones at night.
03.06.2011 - 13:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 03.06.2011 at 13:15

Damn, you quoted me before I edited my post!

..but yeah, this album isn't that good either but I hope it works better with headphones at night.

I did notice that actually you seemed to agree with me the moment I posted my response.

Check out D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A., you might like it even if I don't. It has quite a murky sound if I recall.

Incidentally I can't hear any music from that vid o.0 I heard a few footsteps... I know you said it was minimal...
03.06.2011 - 13:32
(((O)))
Quote:
I did notice that actually you seemed to agree with me the moment I posted my response.

Check out D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A., you might like it even if I don't. It has quite a murky sound if I recall.

Incidentally I can't hear any music from that vid o.0 I heard a few footsteps... I know you said it was minimal...

I actually like D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A. alot, it's a great album for headphones.

The track is 30+ minutes, listen to the whole thing or fast forward a bit, then you'll hear more things than footsteps.
03.06.2011 - 13:33
(((O)))
Written by Guest on 03.06.2011 at 13:30

Oops. nevermind, I had my speakers plugged into the wrong bit.

03.06.2011 - 13:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by (((O))) on 03.06.2011 at 13:32

I actually like D.R.O.N.E.R.E.X.I.A. alot, it's a great album for headphones.

The track is 30+ minutes, listen to the whole thing or fast forward a bit, then you'll hear more things than footsteps.

I had my speakers plugged into the wrong bit. I'll listen to it now.
03.06.2011 - 13:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ahh, message crossover >.<
03.06.2011 - 13:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
That shit happens to me everytime (with the mute botton anyway) and I always think my computer just got fucked up or something.

So emmmm drone.. I don't know what to say right now about it Hopefully this won't be too much offtopic but do you guys have an idea how long it takes usually from Paradigms to send you something? I'm feeling like finally I should dare to order something from them. I was thinking of some Hjarnidaudi and The Angelic Process among other shit.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.06.2011 - 13:42
(((O)))
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.06.2011 at 13:40

That shit happens to me everytime (with the mute botton anyway) and I always think my computer just got fucked up or something.

So emmmm drone.. I don't know what to say right now about it Hopefully this won't be too much offtopic but do you guys have an idea how long it takes usually from Paradigms to send you something? I'm feeling like finally I should dare to order something from them. I was thinking of some Hjarnidaudi and The Angelic Process among other shit.

I live in Sweden and I have ordered from them and it usually takes quite a while, around 4-5 weeks to get the package.