Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! review

Reviewer:

1302 users:
Band: Megadeth
Album: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
Style: Thrash metal
Release date: June 1985

01. Last Rites / Loved To Death
02. Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good
03. Skull Beneath The Skin
04. These Boots [Nancy Sinatra cover]
05. Rattlehead
06. Chosen Ones
07. Looking Down The Cross
08. Mechanix
09. Last Rites/Loved To Deth [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]
10. Mechanix [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]
11. The Skull Beneath The Skin [demo] [2002 re-release bonus]

On most debut albums the songs are all very good - it's most likely a best of from all the years the band existed before they got a record deal. But unfortunately, the band is not famous enough to get a lot of money for the production. This album is a little bit special on both points - first of all this album was released not so long after Dave Mustaine's departure from Metallica so, this is not an album with songs composed over five years or something like that. And about the production... I heard rumours that the band spent most of the money they got for the recording on sex, drugs and booze, which resulted in a sound a bit too raw for my taste. Of course, old school Bay Area Thrash should sound not like Enya, but there is a limit after which even my ears start to hurt. It's not the worst thing that was ever recorded, but it takes some points away from an album that is actually very good.

Indeed, I find no fillers on this album - every track provides something. Still they aren't very different from each other, all tracks are fast tracks with furious riffing and angry vocals from Dave. Lyrics are really catchy and you will learn to sing along the choruses after a few spins. Strophes like "A dose of metal you need, to bang your head til you bleed, it's time for snapping some neck, slashing, thrashing to Megadeth!" are exactly as sophisticated as lyrics to a thrash song should be. And who can't just love the witty album title? The overall performance needs some polish, but it's very good for a debut.

Original? Well, original enough at the time it was released - this is one of the first thrash albums, I even believe that it was classified as Speed Metal since the term 'thrash' wasn't fully invented yet. I suppose I have to compare it with the only other thrash debut that is more well-known - 'Kill'Em All'. Well, I prefer this one! Compare 'Mechanix' with 'The Four Horsemen' and you will hopefully be on my side!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written by Spyroid | 03.02.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
Dave Mustaine, as all know him, was not born 48 years ago in La Mesa California. Dave Mustaine was born in 1983 when he was betrayed by his closest friends and cast from their ranks. He went and recruited warriors for his cause so that vengence could be had. Upon the release of this debut album it would seem Dave was out for blood. Indeed, killing became his business, and business was good.

Read more ››
published 14.01.2009 | Comments (1)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Finally, with the "Final Kill" version of Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!, we get some mixes that allow the music to shine through. This album has such complexities that previous mixes never managed to do justice. Killing Is My Business... blends technicality, heaviness and a jazzy approach to produce a near concise classic. The songs are strong, and sadly overlooked when it comes to 'Deth's back catalog.

Read more ››
published 07.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 167 users
06.02.2008 - 16:04
Lady Bathory
This is probably my favourite Megadeth album. I love that raw sound, the fast thrashing and the kick-in-the-face to Metallica (Mechanix). KIMB may have been a little under-par recording wise, but this album still kicks my ass. If the recording is the only thing that people are complaining about... that certainly says something. KIMB: THE DOSE OF METAL YOU NEED
06.02.2008 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lady Bathory on 06.02.2008 at 16:04

This is probably my favourite Megadeth album. I love that raw sound, the fast thrashing and the kick-in-the-face to Metallica (Mechanix). KIMB may have been a little under-par recording wise,...

Well, this re-release sounds a lot better than the original recording. That one was truly atrocious sounding, which was really a shame.

little trivium: The band didn't have a udget for the production of this one though. Thebudget they blew on drugs and alcohol was the one for So Far, So Good, So What.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2008 - 16:31
Lady Bathory
MegaDave was primarily to thank for that. At least this time he wasn't selling off too much equipment for speedballin
06.02.2008 - 17:37
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2008 at 16:18

This is probably my favourite Megadeth album. I love that raw sound, the fast thrashing and the kick-in-the-face to Metallica (Mechanix). KIMB may have been a little under-par recording wise,...

Well, this re-release sounds a lot better than the original recording. That one was truly atrocious sounding, which was really a shame.

little trivium: The band didn't have a udget for the production of this one though. Thebudget they blew on drugs and alcohol was the one for So Far, So Good, So What.

I haven't heard the re-release so my review is of the original

Ah, I think you're right about that, must have got them confused. Anyway, you can really hear that this album lacks a proper production...
06.02.2008 - 17:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spyroid on 06.02.2008 at 17:37

Ah, I think you're right about that, must have got them confused. Anyway, you can really hear that this album lacks a proper production...

What company released the cd you reviewed? Because there is also a re-release without the bonus tracks (released in 1999, but without the Nancy Sinatra cover)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2008 - 17:54
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2008 at 17:40

Written by Spyroid on 06.02.2008 at 17:37

What company released the cd you reviewed? Because there is also a re-release without the bonus tracks (released in 1999, but without the Nancy Sinatra cover)

Mine has got the Nancy cover - it's released by Music for Nations with the year 1985 printed on the CD. I can't find any other dates so I guess it's a pretty old copy I bought it in a second hand store.
06.02.2008 - 18:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@spyroid, yes that's the version which was released in Europe back in the day, though it was released on cd a couple of years after it came out on vinyl of course.
But that IS the original crappy production and sound there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2008 - 20:30
Demonmayonnaise
I have the remastered version. This album fuckin rocks. I personally think its better than Kill 'Em All.
07.03.2008 - 22:06
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 07.03.2008 at 20:30

I have the remastered version. This album fuckin rocks. I personally think its better than Kill 'Em All.

Totally agree Megadeth is also better than Metallica...
07.04.2008 - 00:27
eximius
Written by Spyroid on 07.03.2008 at 22:06

I don't know if it's better but I sure like it a lot more. I listened the album just before looking over the review and i was pretty surprised... I thought i have bad tastes but I don't.. it's a very good album and Rattlehead is simply amazing, I often listen to it when driving
20.04.2008 - 03:58
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Spyroid on 07.03.2008 at 22:06

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 07.03.2008 at 20:30

Like it is says in the re-release sleeve, metallica won the battle for the biggest, megadeth on the battle for the baddest, you decide who's the fastest, or something like that
12.11.2008 - 07:52
Sonic Titan
Account deleted
Hells yeah i have this on cd AND VINYL!!! classic speed metal
Sonic Titan
Account deleted
Sonic Titan
Account deleted
15.11.2008 - 09:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
If I wanted to vote to this Megadeth's worst album I would give 1 to Mustains Vocals. Im not sure if Mustain sings on notes.I think Mustain has made Metallica happy at those days! cause the album Absolutely sux. and its prove that Kirk is really better than Mustain for me. thank Jaymz u did best when u .....
16.11.2008 - 07:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.11.2008 at 09:17

If I wanted to vote to this Megadeth's worst album I would give 1 to Mustains Vocals. Im not sure if Mustain sings on notes.I think Mustain has made Metallica happy at those days! cause the album Absolutely sux. and its prove that Kirk is really better than Mustain for me. thank Jaymz u did best when u .....

Have you actually listened to the album, or are you just retaliating because of what happened in the Metallica thread?

Because if your trashing of an album is entirely based on vocals, perhaps pop music is what you should be listening to.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.11.2008 - 15:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.11.2008 at 07:59

Have you actually listened to the album, or are you just retaliating because of what happened in the Metallica thread?

Because if your trashing of an album is entirely based on vocals, perhaps pop music is what you should be listening to.

no dont get me wrong, Ive listened to this album before. I talked about vocals cause everybody were talkin about Production. I just wanted to say that I dont like this album and one of the reasons is vocal. take a look at my votes I voted for one of their album by 10. I dont like kidish actions. but for me this album is not what I expect from music, production, guitar riffs, vocals.
17.11.2008 - 03:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.11.2008 at 15:32

Written by Doc G. on 16.11.2008 at 07:59

no dont get me wrong, Ive listened to this album before. I talked about vocals cause everybody were talkin about Production. I just wanted to say that I dont like this album and one of the reasons is vocal. take a look at my votes I voted for one of their album by 10. I dont like kidish actions. but for me this album is not what I expect from music, production, guitar riffs, vocals.

I dont hear anything wrong with the guitar work at all. As for production, I'll repeat myself. pop music dude. If you can't deal with lower quality sound production, then metal will be very limited for you.
----
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 03:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Rattlehead" is one of the coolest songs they've ever done.
----
17.11.2008 - 11:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Dr.Rock I like good bad production albums, but this one is not good. and about pop music Im sure that ur information is more than me.
but as I remember all who doesnt like Death Magnetic talks about bad Production and u were on of them.

but I think here we talk about Megadeth, not other bands. IMO this album is one the wrose startings for a band. megadeth's next albums r so much better than this one. this is what Im talkin about. and This is just my oppinion.

PS:as I remember ur vote for this album was 5, but I cant find it right now!!!! what happened? if u voted this album by 5 why r u tryin to Argue with me? I think it became as a habit for u!
24.11.2008 - 03:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.11.2008 at 11:20

@Dr.Rock I like good bad production albums, but this one is not good. and about pop music Im sure that ur information is more than me.
but as I remember all who doesnt like Death Magnetic talks about bad Production and u were on of them.

but I think here we talk about Megadeth, not other bands. IMO this album is one the wrose startings for a band. megadeth's next albums r so much better than this one. this is what Im talkin about. and This is just my oppinion.

PS:as I remember ur vote for this album was 5, but I cant find it right now!!!! what happened? if u voted this album by 5 why r u tryin to Argue with me? I think it became as a habit for u!

Theres a difference between unclear production and unbalanced production. Secondly, I did not vote this album a 5, I know this because I only vote on albums I own, haven't gotten around to picking it up yet. I'm not saying this album is great, but its definitely not worth the trashing you laid upon it.
----
- George Carlin
24.11.2008 - 03:33
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd give it a 9, maybe even a little higher than that. The only time the vocals annoy me is when he holds notes, but for the most part they're fine. It's easily my third favorite Megadeth album.
21.08.2009 - 16:39
Rating: 6
roger73
This has to be row? This has to make issue with ears? Common... This is the most soft thrash metal witch I heard - and alkl the Megadeth is. Metallica at first 3 albums, first albums of Anthrax, Testament, all od teutonic bands, Exodus, and of course allmighty Slayer (to Season of the Abbys) - this is real raw, thrash and heavy. Megadeth is cheesy and comparing to Mester of Puppets - blaah
21.08.2009 - 16:59
roger73
And the results of comparing Mechanix to original version is vary bad for Megadeth. It is as some amateur punk revival of M-llica
21.08.2009 - 17:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by roger73 on 21.08.2009 at 16:59

And the results of comparing Mechanix to original version is vary bad for Megadeth. It is as some amateur punk revival of M-llica

Mechanix IS the original version The Four Horsemen is the re-written version
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2009 - 17:09
roger73
Ok, so let's say - Mechanix is demo, ok ?
21.08.2009 - 17:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by roger73 on 21.08.2009 at 17:09

Ok, so let's say - Mechanix is demo, ok ?

I know Metallica played Mechanix on their demo for I own the original No Life Till Leather cassette
And that one was written by Dave Mustaine (Mechanix, that is). And the execution of both Mechanix versions is about the same, although Megadeth plays it a bit tighter than Metallica. Probably because Gar Samuelson was (since he is dead now) a better tighter drummer than Lars Ulrich was and will ever be.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.09.2009 - 16:56
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by roger73 on 21.08.2009 at 16:39

This has to be row? This has to make issue with ears? Common... This is the most soft thrash metal witch I heard - and alkl the Megadeth is. Metallica at first 3 albums, first albums of Anthrax, Testament, all od teutonic bands, Exodus, and of course allmighty Slayer (to Season of the Abbys) - this is real raw, thrash and heavy. Megadeth is cheesy and comparing to Mester of Puppets - blaah

We really disagree there, I think that this album is rawer than any debute of the old thrash bands, except from Slayers debute of course. Metallica is not bad but they haven't written many songs that reaches the same agression as most tracks on this album, and IMO Dave sounds 10 times as angry as Hetfield. Always.
06.12.2009 - 15:38
cosmo1973
This album kicks ass, it's so raw...far superior to kill em' all. Just listened to Mechanix by Metallica with Dave Mustaine and it's so slow compared to Megadeth but thats probably because Lars Ulrich is such an average drummer!!

Was fortunate enough to see Megadeth live in Glasgow back in 2005 and they played Mechanix half way through Peace sells....fuckin' awesome, Megadeth are the best!!!
10.03.2014 - 16:56
Rating: 9
pkillerjp
Great debut, maybe even a bit under rated..fast riffs, nice drumming, energy and aggression done right..if the production bothers anyone, definitely check out the re-master, the better production brings the songs alive and in your face more so than the original..Looking Down the Cross is one of Megadeth's best tracks.

Hits total: 8444 | This month: 20