Metal Storm logo
Pain of Salvation

Original post

Posted by meTalcoholic, 17.05.2006 - 04:44
I have heard so many people claiming that it is so hard to "get into" Pain of Salvation's concept albums because of the depth and complexity of the music and the concept/storyline. I personally have always been able to dive right in with every album of theirs, but from what I have observed, I am a minority. So I'm wondering what you guys think about this amazing Swedish prog band overall, and especially when it comes to the complexity of the topics they address.
15.12.2006 - 02:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by DreamWeaver on 15.12.2006 at 02:35

Also, America in not a good track, actually, IMHO it's scarsick's weakest track, I don't understand why they chose it to be the first track peolpe would listen in this album.

What do you mean by first track? Because the song Scarsick opens the album and not America. Or do you mean that the released America as a single before releasing the album?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.12.2006 - 02:51
DreamWeaver
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.12.2006 at 02:49

Also, America in not a good track, actually, IMHO it's scarsick's weakest track, I don't understand why they chose it to be the first track peolpe would listen in this album.

What do you mean by first track? Because the song Scarsick opens the album and not America. Or do you mean that the released America as a single before releasing the album?

I meant that they released it as a single. Seems I should've been more explicit.
----
15.12.2006 - 10:16
rebelos
Account deleted

Anyway, does anyone know what the concept of "Scarsick" is?

everybody sais that it's the second part of TPE... (Kingdom Of Loss - King Of Loss, Idioglossia - Idiocrasy)
but who knows?
i am trying to figure out the lyrics, so i might actually understand what is in Daniels mind
16.12.2006 - 01:01
Nathan Lurker
"America" seriously lacks the POS quality. I like Disco Queen, nice move to experiment like that. It probably will be hated by many true metal believers but whatever, I'm not going to say I don't enjoy the sound just for the sake of making an image of myself where I look "extreme". It does sound good and fresh, and is totally progressive in the way it is worked.

Good album overall, after so few listening sessions, I can't compare with an objective mind, but I don't think it surpasses TPE or BE.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
20.12.2006 - 01:38
Infinite Vacuum
Account deleted

Well, I think the album is good, not great. Cannot be compared with any of the previous albums of PoS. Also, America in not a good track, actually, IMHO it's scarsick's weakest track, I don't understand why they chose it to be the first track peolpe would listen in this album.

Anyway, does anyone know what the concept of "Scarsick" is?

I agree that America's the weakest track on there. As far as concept goes; consumerism sucking the souls out of people is the basic theme of the cd, imo.
22.12.2006 - 00:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I have been listening to this album almost nonstop for the past three weeks. The track "Spitfall", "Cribcaged" and "America" are my three favorites on the album. But the whole album is stellar. This may actually be my favorite album by them so for. Not sure, it may have to do battle with my precious Remedy Lane. We'll see.
----
(space for rent)
22.12.2006 - 00:07
Daru Jericho
I really need to get my hands on Scarstick. However, on the topic of Pain Of Salvation I am currrently going through a Perfect Element I obsession, IMO their best album (but I haven't heard SS yet....).
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.01.2007 - 18:03
rebelos
Account deleted
what is weird about PoS is that all of their fans have a different record...
one has BE another has Remedy Lave another Entropia and another TPE, i don't know anyone that has as a favorite "One Hour..."
and it's too early to talk about Scarsick...

after hearing that album many times i decided that it has nothing to do with TPE
in the beggining i thought it was part too but now i am preety sure that it has nothing to do with it...
maybe it has some "ideas" or riffs but still, almost never talks about the girl of the story!
04.01.2007 - 08:44
oliviaa
I love Pain Of Salvation, they're definitely one of the greatest bands I know. All their albums are really great, especially BE. I love the concept with Mr. Money and everything. I got that DVD yesterday, and it's really stunning.

The concept of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is really amazing too. I love the idea with 'The Machine' and that the guy that builds weapons for a living, starts thinking about if it's really right, and if that makes him a war criminal too, even though he doesn't fight and kill in person, he just makes the guns that people uses to kill other people with. And this question 'Guns don't kill - I don't kill. Do I?', it's just too perfect.

Scarsick is their weakest album though. That's pretty sad. But it's Pain Of Salvation, of course it's really good anyway-
----
04.01.2007 - 10:38
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by oliviaa on 04.01.2007 at 08:44

I love Pain Of Salvation, they're definitely one of the greatest bands I know. All their albums are really great, especially BE. I love the concept with Mr. Money and everything. I got that DVD yesterday, and it's really stunning.

The concept of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is really amazing too. I love the idea with 'The Machine' and that the guy that builds weapons for a living, starts thinking about if it's really right, and if that makes him a war criminal too, even though he doesn't fight and kill in person, he just makes the guns that people uses to kill other people with. And this question 'Guns don't kill - I don't kill. Do I?', it's just too perfect.

Scarsick is their weakest album though. That's pretty sad. But it's Pain Of Salvation, of course it's really good anyway-

i agree about the DVD

but One Hour... isn't it about a lake that's full of nuclear weapons and if you stay there for 2 hours u will die in 2 weeks or something?

anyway i believe that One Hour... is the weakest
04.01.2007 - 11:18
oliviaa
Written by Guest on 04.01.2007 at 10:38

Written by oliviaa on 04.01.2007 at 08:44

i agree about the DVD

but One Hour... isn't it about a lake that's full of nuclear weapons and if you stay there for 2 hours u will die in 2 weeks or something?

anyway i believe that One Hour... is the weakest

It's about a guy that builds weapons and questions the morality of that. He realizes he's a part of a big machine that controls everything, so he makes a new years resolution to find out how his work and his life affects the world, and to break free of the machine.
He travels around the world to see how the weapons he build are used. They told him that the weapons saved lives, but he finds out that the purpose of the guns it to shoot people, and to kill.
He also sees the native americans struggeling to reclaim the land from the white man that also took uranium from the ground and put the dangerous waste in their rivers.
Then he goes to the shores of Lake Karachay, where really much nuclear waste was dumped in the past fifty years that if you spend one hour there, the exposure of radiation will hurt you so much that you'll die in two weeks.
The lake was covered with concrete, but for the radiation to be acceptable, it'll take about 10 000 years. But after ten years, the concrete started to crack.
It ends with the man understanding that it's impossible to leave the machine, 'cause when you've left one, there's always another waiting for you.
----
05.02.2007 - 17:35
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
With Scarsick they took an opossite direction from BE, this surely their most alternative album... though Faith No More influences have always been there.

Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 09:27

they've completely re-invented their sound again. And that is one of the reasons they are so good, they can tread such completely new territory and still be them.

They clearly like to explore new things with their music but i think that saying that they completely reinvented their sound is exagerated. I would say they've expanded their musical boundaries. I agree they always bring new and interesting things that keep them fresh. And this new album of course it's not an exception.

So far my fav track is cribcaged, which remind me of something, though i haven't realize what yet.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
09.02.2007 - 16:50
manos
Has anyone noticed that if you look very carefully you can find "the perfect element part II - he" written at the opposite side of where pain of salvation - scarsick is written?? I don't mean at the booklet but on the paper under the cd...
11.02.2007 - 05:28
Daru Jericho
Yeah, apparently Scarsick is PE 2.

SS is a bit of a grower I think. Obviously riddled with messages and all which can at times be quite distracting on tracks like 'Cribcaged'. I was a bit apprehensive at first. It seemed like a let down but after repeated listenings it grows. Typical POS.
----

13.02.2007 - 01:39
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Scarsick was overall a pretty good album. "Scarsick", and "Spitfall" are among the worst songs in PoS's. "Spitfall" has great music but is accompanied by Daniel Gildenlows rediculous rapping. The chorus is decent,and quite memorable, but is not so great of a song. The album really kicks off after that. As for this being PE 2, it is confusing, I personally think it was a last minute addition. Both musically and lyrically the album shows no follow up to the album TPE was. The only song remotely close to TPE is "Enter Rain". Scarsick is probably their second worst album after One Hour By the Concrete Lake. It is by no means a bad album, but just not among their best.
13.02.2007 - 01:45
Black_Sheep
What album should i buy? ..i listened to the samples from their home page and liked some of them very much
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
13.02.2007 - 12:26
levi
Account deleted
Hi! I bought Scarsick last week and i can't stop listening it! First time it seemd a bit "simple". Really. But after a few listenings, i thought, that Be has changed Daniel's idea of progressive music. SS is interesting and deep. Just like every POS record, but a brand new way.. I think this is their definitive album, becouse you can find elements from all of their albums, while providing fresh material at the same time. Amazing. I live in Hungary, and on the 22th February, if everything goes well, i will see them live. ) Lucky me!
15.02.2007 - 21:58
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Black_Sheep on 13.02.2007 at 01:45

What album should i buy? ..i listened to the samples from their home page and liked some of them very much

The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane

i just realized... in the end... the character commits suicide!!!!
and after reading an interview by Daniel he sais that it is unlikely he will live...
cause he didn't want to make a happy ending... that means that there is going to be a Part 3
16.02.2007 - 23:00
Anathemani@c

I think you should buy One hour by the Concrete lake or Entropia. These are my favourite POS alboums, even though for the rest fans Remedy Lane is their best alboum ever... Your choice!!!!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
17.02.2007 - 21:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I've been listening to "the perfect element I" lately and it got me in the frist listen. What a voice, what a sound. Next on the list, i will get my hands on "Entropia".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.03.2007 - 14:28
Anathemani@c
I was listening to the new Pain Of Salvation alboum, " Scarsick" and to tell the truth I got dissapointed. I hoped this would be much more great than "Be", but unfortunately it wasn't.. Shame...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
12.03.2007 - 12:30
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Yeah, I was disappointed as well. And the worst part is that it actually is The Perfect Element part II. I really don't like Disco Queen, even if it might be a bit more original than PoS' usual songs. Though not all songs are extremely bad.
To be honest, I'm a bit done with Pain of Salvation.
13.03.2007 - 02:11
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 15.02.2007 at 21:58

The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane

i just realized... in the end... the character commits suicide!!!!
and after reading an interview by Daniel he sais that it is unlikely he will live...
cause he didn't want to make a happy ending... that means that there is going to be a Part 3

Well, part II was the male character from TPE. SS takes off pretty much where it left of, with the guy on the floor and when he awakes there is a TV infront of him that illustrates society. I assume that part III will happen and that it will be the female character from TPE. Maybe they plan on making that one much softer musicwise in comparision because she's female? Who knows...
----

13.03.2007 - 22:47
rebelos
Account deleted
Daniel said that the boy IS probably going to die cause he didn't want to make a another happy ending...
17.03.2007 - 01:15
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 13.03.2007 at 22:47

Daniel said that the boy IS probably going to die cause he didn't want to make a another happy ending...

What? I wasn't disputing anything you said. I said that there was probably going to be another TPE album (probably with a different name like SS) about the FEMALE character from TPEI. Have you not checked out that album or something because you seem to have completely misunderstood what I've said seeing as you feel the need to reiterate your point again.
----

17.03.2007 - 14:54
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 17.03.2007 at 01:15

Written by Guest on 13.03.2007 at 22:47

What? I wasn't disputing anything you said. I said that there was probably going to be another TPE album (probably with a different name like SS) about the FEMALE character from TPEI. Have you not checked out that album or something because you seem to have completely misunderstood what I've said seeing as you feel the need to reiterate your point again.

i wasn't talking to you
i just gave some info... i agree that probably the third part is going to be about the female character but no one knows what's in Daniel's mind
p.s. i don't know what reiterate and disputing means
18.03.2007 - 01:11
Daru Jericho
Oh fair enough. It's just that you said the same thing again (you posted it earlier in this thread) so it seemed pointless to say it again unless you wanted to battle with my point.
----

20.06.2007 - 17:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, To noone here is a secret that I don't like prog. However, I read the review "Scarsick" and I thought it could be pretty interesting, you know with the rap and "Disco Queen". And it certainly is. I found scarsick to be a really nice album, happy, uplifting, and a complete change for what I've heard os POS. I really liked this album, 'cause it's a different way to do metal and show the talent and vituosity than just making a 26 minute long solo.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.06.2007 - 12:16
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Video footage of Pain Of Salvation's performance at the Graspop Metal Meeting in Dessel has been posted at YouTube here.
29.06.2007 - 08:57
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I just finished listening to 'BE.' I enjoyed it very much, but I've read it's not as straightforward as some of their other albums. I'd just like someone to comment on this as I have only listened to their previous works in miniature doses.
----
The force will be with you, always.