Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2007

01.03.2008 - 15:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Discuss everything concering the MetalStorm Awards 2007 here. I'd like to say one thing though:

Remember, these result are based on all YOUR votes. Don't blame us for band x winning, blame the majority. Or better yet, thank the majority, as you can feel special disagreeing with the mob. We know you all like that, don't you?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.03.2008 - 16:03
Stigma
Account deleted
I posted this already in the news section, but I might as well copy it here since this is the rightful place to discuss about the awards.

Quote:

The biggest dissapointment for me here was that Apocalyptica won their category, though there were much better bands that would have deserved it. Then again Amorphis won the Heavy Metal category, and IMO they deserved it.

Nightwish winning both The Biggest Surprise and The Biggest Letdown just shows the many different opinions towards the new vocalist.

The Best Black came to me as a surprise as well, and The Biggest Drama is hilarious.
01.03.2008 - 16:04
VPeter
since I am a lazy bastard I just copy my text from the frontpage news.

hmmm a whole lot better then last year, still there are lot of things that bother me. what is Primordial doing in the folk metal/pagan/viking section? yeah there lyrics have the theme but they don't use any folk instruments and neither have the typical viking metal sound, they are more progressive black metal. sad to see the new Epica didn't win, what I have heard of the new Therion was just very mediocore... Gothic metal had a strong year with a new Paradise Lost, Type O Negative, Lake of Tears, The Vision Bleak but Tristania is not gothic metal and neither is The Old Dead Tree. and shame on you if you voted for Demon burger latest crap fest as the best black metal album. I haven't listend that much death metal, but the new Behemoth was pretty generic imo.... just shows it is all about fanbase.
01.03.2008 - 19:39
Damnated
Churchburner
the results are pathetic. once again the popular bands won, although they had shitty albums (rotting christ, symphony x). i'm not saying this because my fav albums did not win, but because bad/mediocre albums won. thing is, every album nominated in the black metal category was better than Rotting Christ's. these awards are turning into a joke tbh.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.03.2008 - 19:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Damnated on 01.03.2008 at 19:39

the results are pathetic. once again the popular bands won, although they had shitty albums (rotting christ, symphony x). i'm not saying this because my fav albums did not win, but because bad/mediocre albums won. thing is, every album nominated in the black metal category was better than Rotting Christ's. these awards are turning into a joke tbh.

I disagree. The Awards are not turning into a joke, because they represent the opinion of the voters. The general opinion is a joke, perhaps.

Anyway, I think the results aren't too bad. Damnated, you shouldn't forget you have a very specific taste.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.03.2008 - 20:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

In the Black Metal Category.. I'm with you....

I still can't understand how RT won... I was very sure that Mayhem or Shining [I voted for Shining by the way] would be the winner...
The black metal category was [as you said] a joke...

And for the Gothic... I wanted that Virgin Black were the winners u.u even if I like PL.... Their new stuff is not that good if you compare that to VB....

At least, Neurosis won xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2008 - 20:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damn I wont talk about votes I vote about what I vote and I wont tell what was my votes and wont look here, I saw results I know results and I wont use my energy to discuss
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2008 - 20:52
DreamWeaver
Elite
Well, I agree that the results didn't go the way I wanted to.

In the Avantgarde category, Grayceon was the best for me, too bad almost no one has heard of them.
In Power Metal, while I don't agree, I preferred Kamelot over Nightwish. I voted for Essence of Sorrow.
Prog was obvious that SX was going to win.
In the Metalcore category, Between The Buried And Me was definetly better than Chimaira, but yet again, big bands won. Just like in the Post Metal category, Neurosis was good, but there were better albums this year (Rosetta, Minsk and The Pax Cecilia), yet again, I suppose almost no one know about them.
But the biggest stupidity of all was in the Alternative category. Give me a break, Apocalyptica being the best album!?!? It obvious that bands like Alchemist, Nahemah or Antimatter released better albums this year.

This is a proof that metalstormers (hell, metalheads in general) don't care to dig deeper and try to search for new bands. Or even worst, that they are very influenced by the mainstream (among the metal scene) bands.
----
01.03.2008 - 21:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
lol...Nightwish both "letdown" and "surprise" the same time

and Ghost Opera beats Dark Passion Play by one single vote
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.03.2008 - 22:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
Yeah,Nightwish won"The Biggest Letdown"award!I voted for them exactly in this category.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
01.03.2008 - 22:36
Ernis
狼獾
As I said...thanks to the Tarja-cvltists votes Nightwish's DPP won the biggest letdown award.....how objective....
Nevertheless one understands it as soon as sees that those who voted it as letdown number in bout 30 while there's much more those who voted for it in the power metal cathegory....so....

SHAME on you, Tarja-cvltists.....
01.03.2008 - 22:45
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by DreamWeaver on 01.03.2008 at 20:52

This is a proof that metalstormers (hell, metalheads in general) don't care to dig deeper and try to search for new bands. Or even worst, that they are very influenced by the mainstream (among the metal scene) bands.

Or that they can't afford buying every album that's released and their internet connection is so shitty that they bother with downloading only albums they know they are going to enjoy, so they have only heard a small number of new releases, since due to their limitations they have a lot of catching up to do, thus they choose not to vote because they are not familiar with all noteworthy albums from any genre.

Anyway that's why I didn't vote in any category. No point in voting if you have only heard a handful of new full releases from any category.
01.03.2008 - 22:55
Torelli
Damn, I forgot to vote from metalcore to trash metal! It probably would have been a tie in the power metal section otherwise....

Anyway, in the catagories that I did vote in, few even maked it to the top 3, they were more likely to be at the bottom. What a suprise...or not. It was too bad that Autumn's "Mt new time" did get so few votes, they should have deserved to be on the top three atleast. But I guess that metalstormers have just as bad taste as the rest of the world(or perhaps I'm the one with the bad taste...)
01.03.2008 - 23:16
DreamWeaver
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.03.2008 at 22:45

Written by DreamWeaver on 01.03.2008 at 20:52

Or that they can't afford buying every album that's released and their internet connection is so shitty that they bother with downloading only albums they know they are going to enjoy, so they have only heard a small number of new releases, since due to their limitations they have a lot of catching up to do, thus they choose not to vote because they are not familiar with all noteworthy albums from any genre.

Anyway that's why I didn't vote in any category. No point in voting if you have only heard a handful of new full releases from any category.

At least you did something intelligent.

But I'm talking about the people who actually voted (therefore made a difference in the awards). Besides, I don't have enough monet either, also the metal scene here is really bad, so I stores here have almost no metal albums (only big bands like the ones that won here). And my internet connection isn't good at all. But at least I make an effort and try to get all the albums I can, not just settle with the "albums I know I am going to enjoy". There are tons of posibilities to get an album, if you really want to. Even though I have a bad connection, I often leave my PC on thorugh the night with eMule open, and it works.
----
01.03.2008 - 23:54
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Ernis on 01.03.2008 at 22:36

As I said...thanks to the Tarja-cvltists votes Nightwish's DPP won the biggest letdown award.....how objective....
Nevertheless one understands it as soon as sees that those who voted it as letdown number in bout 30 while there's much more those who voted for it in the power metal cathegory....so....

Look,Viggo.Every one has its own opinion.So,please,don't judge us-the ones,who voted for Nightwish in the"Biggest Letdwon"category.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
02.03.2008 - 00:04
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by DreamWeaver on 01.03.2008 at 23:16

At least you did something intelligent.

But I'm talking about the people who actually voted (therefore made a difference in the awards). Besides, I don't have enough monet either, also the metal scene here is really bad, so I stores here have almost no metal albums (only big bands like the ones that won here). And my internet connection isn't good at all. But at least I make an effort and try to get all the albums I can, not just settle with the "albums I know I am going to enjoy". There are tons of posibilities to get an album, if you really want to. Even though I have a bad connection, I often leave my PC on thorugh the night with eMule open, and it works.

I try to make an effort but I'm not hugely intererested in scenes/genres, I'm more interested in individual bands, and if a band doesn't seem interesting I see no reason to listen to a whole album of theirs, in order to be up to date with the scene. Also I find that even if I don't download music very often, I still often can't manage to familiarize myself with all the albums I have properly (for me that's at least 5-10 undisturbed and thorough listens), also most of the time I prefer to buy or [gasp] download older albums, rather than newer ones. I try to avoid downloading albums, because that would only give me more albums I can't manage to familiarize myself properly with.
That's why I'm more concerned with trying to complete the Godflesh discography than downloading the latest Dragonforce or Graveland albums.

I totally agree with you however that people should only vote if they're familiar with the most of the important releases from the categorys they vote in (and I don't mean only the big releases, but also stuff like the more acclaimed underground releases).
02.03.2008 - 00:28
VPeter
Written by Ernis on 01.03.2008 at 22:36

agreed, Tarja is also a very overated singer - I find Anette way better.

one of the hardest to vote was defently the Gothic metal albums, so many killer albums came in 2007 in this genre.
02.03.2008 - 01:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Nothing surprising, not very pleased with the results...And yes, as usual, it is a popularity contest, the fact that Zico Chain got last place in the alternative metal poll, they released one kick ass album, better than a lot of albums in that poll. The only result I was pleased with was the Death Metal category.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.03.2008 - 01:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I agree that a lot of average albums from popular bands won, but what did we seriously expect? It's like high school voting, if you have a choice between someone you don't know and someone you do know, apathy will choose the latter. What is important is the best drama...

Well, it's over now so there's always next year to look forward to; I'm predicting: Biggest Letdown - Wintersun, Biggest Surprise - Metallica (wishful thinking)
02.03.2008 - 01:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Very surprised about Black Metal (voted for Sworn to the Dark which BTW is my favourite BM album) and laughed at the horrible Rasputin winning the cover award. Pleased to see Dark Passion Play being a letdown by some although I voted for the crappy United Abominations.
----
02.03.2008 - 02:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Warman
I didn't think Rasputin was all that bad, I found it kind of a good joke, like Bodom doing 'Oops I Did It Again'
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2008 - 02:07
selken
Irreligious
Well, although I strongly dissagree with some results, I know I can't do anything about it.
For example, my fav Power album of this year was Dark Moor's Tarot, not even Land of the Free or Gambling with the Devil, and IMO Nightwish is not Power metal at all.

However i don't think DPP were the biggest letdown in the year, the results shocked me!!, instead it was my biggest surprise!, IMO Sonata Arctica's Unia is the worst crap of the year.
[impotence]anyway its my opinion against hundreds[/impotence]
----
02.03.2008 - 02:10
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery

too true, in almost all categories, popular, "big" bands won, despite not having released a great album at all... and i reckon, that if Dream Theater's album was put into the prog section, it prob WOULD have won, despite it being a bit of a disappointment comapred to the normal Dream Theater albums...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
02.03.2008 - 02:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Its funny, everyones disappointed with the results, so who the hell voted for them?
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2008 - 02:36
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 02.03.2008 at 02:11

Its funny, everyones disappointed with the results, so who the hell voted for them?

Quote of the day. I actually lolled at this.
02.03.2008 - 02:48
Syk
myspace/bonerama
The n00bs who signed up just to vote and haven't found the forum yet... whether in the last month or two years ago
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
02.03.2008 - 02:59
marillionfan
Account deleted
surprised to see the winner in the progressive metal category... no comment, good album but certainly not the best last year.
02.03.2008 - 03:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

I'm happy with the results!!!! Candlemass and Pig Destroyer won their categories, and they deserved to.

Those are my two favorite albums of 2007 tbh.
02.03.2008 - 04:38
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 02.03.2008 at 02:59

surprised to see the winner in the progressive metal category... no comment, good album but certainly not the best last year.

i agree. there wasn't anything special about that album. at all.

i'll admit that chimaira's "resurrection" didn't deserve the metalcore award. there just wasn't anything special about that album. then again, it's metalcore, so you can't expect too much. i think between the buried and me should've won that one because of the major improvements they've made since their previous release. it's definitely a step, albeit small, in the right direction.
02.03.2008 - 09:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
there is no accounting for taste.

a couple bands i really wanted to win did, a couple got nowhere near the credit i felt they should... hell, my BM choice got a staggering 9 votes.

meh. eveyrone likes what they like.

as for "not hearing bands" that were nominated, your MS staff went out of the way to link myspace pages whenever possible to give the voters a chance to listen to the competition. if they didn't take advantage of that opportunity, frankly, it is their loss.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!