Metal Storm logo
Paganism

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 21.03.2008 - 05:20
Well, the other one's reached over 500 posts, so I figured to open a new one before the old one is locked. I'll copy paste the old opening post from the thread, so that nothing is really different:

Paganism, often accepted as well as practiced by many metal heads around the world. Some for the sake of rebellion, others because they have found a sincere truth in it. Not only metal heads but people of all different kinds all over the world practice religions that may be described as "Pagan." I Personally would classify Paganism as being any religion that is not what would be considered one of the worlds three major religions. (I.E. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) a few Religions that can fall under this category are Odinism,Wicca,Hiduism,Babolonian,greek, and roman. Unfortunantley many of these religions of have been weakened and almost decimated by other religions, mainly the catholic church,no offense to any catholics. I myself am a Pagan, and follow mainly Celtic and Norse ideals, with a cross of some asian Spiritual outlooks and philosophies. So basicly, what are your thoughts on paganism? Are you a pagan? Just add anything else you would like to say. Now go on, discuss, discuss.

Alright, enjoy guys.
28.03.2012 - 06:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by AngelofDeth on 07.03.2012 at 23:42

"Paganism, often accepted as well as practiced by many metal heads around the world."
...well its definitely accepted by metalheads but definitely NOT often practiced.

The main "religion"(if you could call it that) of Metal is overwhelmingly Atheism, Agnosticism, Satanism(not to be mistaken with Luciferinism).

I myself have only knowingly met a handful of true "Pagans" there have always hindus and always of strict Indian descent, and i live in one of the most diverse and tolerant cities in the world.

Sure ive seen kids get into wicca during their teen years and stoners get into buddhism, but they all abandon it by the time their 18. The stoners that dont abandon it simply do it cuz they think its "cool", just like how us metalheads only talk/sing/act like pagans cuz we think its "cool"!

IMO Paganry is a fading religion. It seems to be staying alive by people being Born into Paganry. But Very few people convert to paganry later in life, While masses continue to convert to the major Monotheistic Religions

Though its waning people are still accepting Pagan myths as great stories and thus preserving the Religion but not truly practicing it.

Well about the whole metalheads practicing it thing, I was a kid when I made that post and so yeah, basically I agree there are alot more satanist and agnostic, as well as atheist metal fans.
Me personally, I was born into paganism. I was raised Asatru, though for the longest time I simply called myself Norse or an Odinist. I can also see it waning but I don't think it will ever die. We're like gangs in LA lol, we don't die, we multiply. It will go through phases of dwindling and growth, but imo will never disappear.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
28.03.2012 - 20:25
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.03.2012 at 06:20

Me personally, I was born into paganism. I was raised Asatru, though for the longest time I simply called myself Norse or an Odinist. I can also see it waning but I don't think it will ever die. We're like gangs in LA lol, we don't die, we multiply. It will go through phases of dwindling and growth, but imo will never disappear.

Thats interesting, do you still practice it?

Yeah i was prolly a little to quick to say it will die, i mean its already been hundreds of years since christianity, islam etc have rose to popularity and power and paganism is still around today.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
28.03.2012 - 23:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by AngelofDeth on 28.03.2012 at 20:25

Yeah, I do. I regularly study my Futhark and practice divination, make little offerings on holidays which I more so think of as 'sacred nights,' read the lore etc. But honestly I have fallen a little out of touch in the last few years. Life got a lil crazy haha. Once i'm settled back down though I'll be back in full swing.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

15.04.2012 - 08:23
Vikingr
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.03.2012 at 23:39

Yeah, I do. I regularly study my Futhark and practice divination, make little offerings on holidays which I more so think of as 'sacred nights,' read the lore etc. But honestly I have fallen a little out of touch in the last few years. Life got a lil crazy haha. Once i'm settled back down though I'll be back in full swing.

That's awesome to hear, I converted from Christianity to Asatru a couple of years ago, it's nice to see that others are keeping it going I'm honestly the only one in my area except for a few areas in Kitchener and Toronto :/ Still, I wear Thor's hammer proudly and I live by the conduct that guides Asatruers in our day to day lives It just seemed like the right path to me I guess. Anyway, good on you bro for fighting the good fight and such
16.04.2012 - 03:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Vikingr on 15.04.2012 at 08:23

Written by Arian Totalis on 28.03.2012 at 23:39

That's awesome to hear, I converted from Christianity to Asatru a couple of years ago, it's nice to see that others are keeping it going I'm honestly the only one in my area except for a few areas in Kitchener and Toronto :/ Still, I wear Thor's hammer proudly and I live by the conduct that guides Asatruers in our day to day lives It just seemed like the right path to me I guess. Anyway, good on you bro for fighting the good fight and such

Yeah I kind of think some of the contemporary leaders of the faith are annoying though imo, because they try to make it this big thing about germanic heritage when imo religion and spirituality shouldn't have anything to do with your background and everything to do with what it is that you identify with as a spiritual individual. But it makes me happy to see another Asatru as well, keep the troth alive brother.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

16.04.2012 - 06:13
Vikingr
See you in Valhala brother:) As for the contemporary leaders they have to realize that it's individuals outside of their own idea of a proper background for an Asatruer that are in fact keeping Asatru alive and going. Without individuals like us , few as we are when compared to people in the Christian faith and such, Asatru would have far fewer followers,if any at all
18.06.2012 - 08:10
winds of mayhem
I agree with Vikingr as a strong pagan myself i have lived in some places where there are no pagans i have lived in others where there were 100s.Paganism is at a crossroads some pagan groups want to become more christian friendly some do not.There is also lots of infighting among pagans whenever a group/coven pops up everyone wants to be the leader i know i have belonged to such groups.Which is why i practice solitary now if anyone here belongs to a good group where everyone can get along i say more power to you but much eaiser said then done.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
24.11.2012 - 21:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2013 - 09:30
no one
Account deleted
I have pondered paganism as i feel i have a strong connection with nature .But i have never really fully understood it though.
02.07.2013 - 19:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 02.07.2013 at 09:30

I have pondered paganism as i feel i have a strong connection with nature .But i have never really fully understood it though.

maybe it is ment to be left like half mystery?
----

apos;'
[image]
02.07.2013 - 21:15
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.07.2013 at 19:08

I understand the pagans before the christians. But i don't get all the new pagan faiths after, they all sort of seem to be made up
For example the old pagans thought what the sorcerer's done like make a bronze sword was "magic" because they didn't understand how it was done. And then you get you get these new pagan faiths who think they can actually do magic ?
02.07.2013 - 21:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 02.07.2013 at 21:15

I understand the pagans before the christians. But i don't get all the new pagan faiths after, they all sort of seem to be made up
For example the old pagans thought what the sorcerer's done like make a bronze sword was "magic" because they didn't understand how it was done. And then you get you get these new pagan faiths who think they can actually do magic ?

Well ther eno such magic, maybe mordern ... like does aliens exist etc and suych kind a unexplainable thinks, but not those like it was at those days
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2013 - 02:13
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.07.2013 at 21:19

Written by Author on 02.07.2013 at 21:15

Well ther eno such magic, maybe mordern ... like does aliens exist etc and suych kind a unexplainable thinks, but not those like it was at those days

sorry i didn't really understand ya last post
06.07.2013 - 02:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just said, there no magic, we hace scientifical explanations to all
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2013 - 04:26
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2013 at 02:26

I just said, there's no magic, we have scientific explanations to all

yeah i know boring aye , some pagans these days believe they can read ya future by tarot cards and that hey are witches who can cast spells. I'm pretty sure witches in the pagan days were just woman who were master's of the herbs and healing. In a way these new witches are more contributing to the christian idealization of which's.
06.07.2013 - 12:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 06.07.2013 at 04:26

yeah i know boring aye , some pagans these days believe they can read ya future by tarot cards and that hey are witches who can cast spells. I'm pretty sure witches in the pagan days were just woman who were master's of the herbs and healing. In a way these new witches are more contributing to the christian idealization of which's.

its another part of ''magic'' but if pagan or whatever I dont know
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2013 - 13:24
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2013 at 12:06

Written by Author on 06.07.2013 at 04:26

its another part of ''magic'' but if pagan or whatever I dont know

i'm sure one of those actual "pagans" who posted earlier could enlighten us, but probably won't as they have even commented on any of my ignorant allegation's yet
12.07.2013 - 03:55
Hi. Speaking as some one who has walked a Pagan path for thirty years and been a student of metaphysics for thirty six, yes I'm and old fart, I'd like to make a quick couple of points.

In general pagans accept that there are five paths to enlightenment. The path of the wizard is one of them. Spells are a method to direct energy to give the universe a nudge. Others would call them prayers. The techniques are meant to generate a state where the body mind and spirit open to one another allowing free communications between them. Many of the actions are done to speak to the subconscious in a language of symbolism and imagery. Think of the significance of mentally convincing yourself that a doll is someone then pulling pins out of it where they have sustained an injury.

As to the validity of magic I will not discount the evidence of my own life experience nor will I try to convince someone who is set in their way of validity of my view. If you are interested I suggest you look at some of the theories coming out of physics in particular string theory with its notion of ten dimensions with differing vibrational rates. Now ad a harmonic to that and you in effect have a restating of the basic premise of magic as a will driven adaptive force.

Witch craft per say goes back at least to Greek times when Hecate was worshiped as goddess of the witches. We see modern examples in the Indian fakers of the more traditional practices.

Paganism is alive and well and growing if you believe the statistics. Most of us get past the shock Pagan stage that tends to dominate in the teens and slip into the background. We are as devote as any other group. Some of us practice daily others do the Sabbaths still others only practice when their lives are going down the toilet and they need help. Pretty much normal folk.

The history of why the monotheistic creeds gained dominance in the west is a long bloody one. Laws existed for many years that forced people to attend church three times a week. Laws also existed that resulted in the torture and death of many of my forbearers.
09.04.2014 - 00:46
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I really respect Paganism a lot, I'm almost jealous of those who are, since it seems to display a lot of tolerance and acceptance of other people's backgrounds, instead of being forced to follow one rigid code that people tell you is "the right way". I don't really understand a lot about the various beliefs, but at the same time I'm fascinated with its diversity and its multitudes of gods and goddesses. Though I come from a Christian background, I myself have not followed in my parents footsteps and am Agnostic now, so I have much respect for those who are Pagan.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.04.2014 - 02:41
no one
Account deleted
Do any pagan metal bands belong to any of these pagan groups who do rituals at stonehenge and things and actually take it seriously, or do they just drink lots of piss and rave about how they're viking warriors ?

I am reading a historical fiction book "druids" at the moment and must admit that i really like the way these dudes role (apart from human and animal sacrifices). I can definitely see the attraction and why there are so many pagan gatherings/clubs/community's etc etc these days.

Trouble is, it seems some groups/people have taken things into there own hands and added there own twists, trying to glamorize the magical aspect of things or change the facts or whatever, something which confuses things and kind of turns me off.

I guess i myself am kind of an agnostic naturalist i'm not really sure, it will come to me one day
12.04.2014 - 23:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 09.04.2014 at 02:41

Do any pagan metal bands belong to any of these pagan groups who do rituals at stonehenge and things and actually take it seriously, or do they just drink lots of piss and rave about how they're viking warriors ?

I am reading a historical fiction book "druids" at the moment and must admit that i really like the way these dudes role (apart from human and animal sacrifices). I can definitely see the attraction and why there are so many pagan gatherings/clubs/community's etc etc these days.

Trouble is, it seems some groups/people have taken things into there own hands and added there own twists, trying to glamorize the magical aspect of things or change the facts or whatever, something which confuses things and kind of turns me off.

I guess i myself am kind of an agnostic naturalist i'm not really sure, it will come to me one day

Skyforger did some parts of summer solitice rituals, something as far as I know, rest of I dont think ... i think BM practice more what they prach in ritualism
----

apos;'
[image]