Metal Storm logo
Folk Metal

23.03.2008 - 01:56
VPeter
probally the youngest metal genre now, very underground in the early 90ties but starts to grow fast now mostly thanks to the finnish folk metal bands we all know:
Finntroll
Moonsorrow
Ensiferum
Korpiklaani
Turisas

but I want to know how many people here actually know of folk metal and what they think of it.

list of various folk metal:

Celtic folk metal:
Cruachan
Waylander
Runecaster
Eluveitie
Skyclad
Mael Mórdha

German folk metal:
Equilibrium
Saltatio Mortis
Falkenbach(Icelandic?)
In Extremo
Odroerir
Cumulo Nimbus
Adorned Brood
haggard

Nordic folk metal:
Svartsot
old Vintersorg
Otyg
Asmegin
Lumsk
old Ulver
Glittertind
Myrkgrav
Folkearth
Yggdrasil
Wuthering Heights
Heorot
Kivimetsän Druidi
The Mist and the Morning Dew
Shaman(pre-Korpiklaani)

Eastern Europe Folk metal:
Arkona
Avven
Chur
Munruthel
Butterfly Temple
Metsatöll
Alkonost
Dalriada
Shambless
23.03.2008 - 03:19
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
well, truthfully, I don't listen to much of it.........But Korpiklaani are awesome!
23.03.2008 - 03:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
mmm usually folk bores me to death, Dalriada are the only exception I can think at the moment, although I don't think the Hungarian have anything to do with Slavics.
23.03.2008 - 03:37
VPeter
yeah but I just throwt them together in a haste job, I actually just mean eastern europe folk metal.
23.03.2008 - 03:44
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Korpiklaani are probably the most fun / least serious out of all folk metal bands , that's something that attracts me. I certainly MUST hear this new album of theirs.
23.03.2008 - 04:53
selken
Irreligious
I like the sound of Korpiklaani, their songs are uplifting and energetic, Mägo de Oz got hillarious lyrics.
Ensiferum is also a very energetic band, I like Tyr and Moonsorrow because of their epic feeling. And I love the 1000% celtic music from Skyclad.
----
23.03.2008 - 12:48
Elodie Artour
Slania
I don't listen to much folk metal,but I'll do for sure(hopefully-in the nearly future).I already listen to these bands:Lumsk,Midnattsol,Korpiklaani and also-to Finntroll.Folk metal is a very nice genre,which I absolutely love because of the folk elements,the rythms,and the music itself,too.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
23.03.2008 - 17:40
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
There was a time that i were completely hooked with Folk Metal. My favorite folk bands are:Equilibrium, Ensiferum, Eluveitie and Moonsorrow.
23.03.2008 - 17:58
VPeter
To be honest I wish people would stop humping bands like Korpiklaani so, there is already way to many drinking/party folk metal bands it is killing the scene.
23.03.2008 - 18:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Elvenking, Moonsorrow, Alestorm, Ensiferum, Turisas...those are mine
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.03.2008 - 18:09
Gegers
Account deleted
I really love Folk Metal, particulrly Celtic Metal, I think itt's my favourite style after Melodic Metal.

My favourite bands are the following:
-Saltatio Mortis
-Mago de Oz
-Saurom
-eluveitie
-Leprechaun
23.03.2008 - 18:27
MetalSpider
I love Folk metal...it's a great genre.

Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Turisas, Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Falkenbach, Lumsk, Wuthering Heights...are some of my favourite in the genre. I listen to more of the Nordic Folk Metal and German Folk Metal than Celtic and Slavic.

Alestorm is also very good.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
23.03.2008 - 20:09
belisarius
my folk favs are:
eluveitie
turisas
in extremo
alestorm
heidevolk

but i listen to much other folk bands too, like arkona, equilibrium, finntroll, etc.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
23.03.2008 - 20:29
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Folk is one of my favorite genres, i like bands like Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Turisas, Finntroll, Skyforger.....
23.03.2008 - 21:35
Torelli
Written by VPeter on 23.03.2008 at 17:58

To be honest I wish people would stop humping bands like Korpiklaani so, there is already way to many drinking/party folk metal bands it is killing the scene.

Agreed, thet are way to many band like this. Personally, I dislike band who just throw in some random instrument, write some crappy lyrics about Odin or trolls, and then call it folk metal. Still, it's their choice to listen to it.

Oh well, Here are some bands that I like:

Arkona - russian folk metal with strong ties to slavic mythologhy and the slavic people in general

Ashtar - Celtic folk metal from Brazil with a progressive touch.

Black Leaves - few bands use so much folk influences, and get doesn't use any folk instruments.

Dalriada - To make a metal demo of one of the most reconised hungarian poem is either a complete idiocy or a stroke of genius. Dalriada moves towards the later.

Holy Blood - One of the most fameous christian folk metal bands(perhaps the only fameous one). The music may not be the most orginal one. does it make it bad? Nope, it works just fine. It comes with superb vocals too.

Midnattsol - a norweigian folk metal band that actually sounds norweigian, and doesn't use any viking refrences? Yep, it's true. And it's very beautiful too.

Moonsorrow - Epic. that right. It's an epic band. Now, go and listen.

Orphaned land - A israeli band that play mixture of jewish and arabic folk music along side with progressive, death and even doom metal, combined with great lyrical effort. The outcome could only be good.

Otyg - IMO, on of the few real swedish folk metal band in terms of language, instruments, and Lyrics

Silent Stream of Godless Elegy - chzech folk/doom metal. Brings the more sombre side of folk music, in contrast to all "party folk metal"

Vintersorg - Perhaps they doesn't stay so true to the swedish folk music, but the lyrics are very beautiful and towards the more later realises, very deep. Like their folk metal past, enjoy their progressive side even more.

----

I'm sure there are alot more that deserves reconiscion, but those are the once that went thrue my head.
27.03.2008 - 11:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Torelli on 23.03.2008 at 21:35

Written by VPeter on 23.03.2008 at 17:58

Ashtar - Celtic folk metal from Brazil with a progressive touch.

Black Leaves - few bands use so much folk influences, and get doesn't use any folk instruments.

I'm sure there are alot more that deserves reconiscion, but those are the once that went thrue my head.

Firts @all I ddint mention here bands because I dont wanna do it, you know there are a lot of bands but there was some italian folk metal site and french too whan I wont be lazy I post link,

Torelli I disagree in Brazil, sorry there no connection whit celts, so why thay dont play indain folk samba folk, imo bands who play such metal outsie UK, lil Ger and France are posers , and we have anought bands from Rus,Ukr, Swe, Nor, Fin, Ger, Fra what are unknown and play good folk metal metal-archives are a answer
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.03.2008 - 12:17
owl
Written by Bad English on 27.03.2008 at 11:20

Torelli I disagree in Brazil, sorry there no connection whit celts, so why thay dont play indain folk samba folk, imo bands who play such metal outsie UK, lil Ger and France are posers
I partially agree with that. Even yesterday I bumped into this colombian guy that has a celtic-folk one-man project (can't remember the name, sorry) and I thought "what the hell has he got to do with celtic-folk anyway?"

Still, if one can ignore the band's origin while listening to it, we may have some good music anyway. It's like viking metal from Portugal. Take Gwydion, for instance. There never were any vikings in Portugal, but these guys do play some good sh*t, so... to hell with the incoherence, I say!

As far as folk is concerned, I must say I only recently started meddling with this genre, so I don't know a heap of bands yet. I used not to like it at all - I found stuff like Korpiklaanii really boring. But one day I found a band that began changing that idea in me: Týr.
It was practically love at first audition, and from then on I moved to other things like Belenos, Amon Amarth and Eluveitie (which I'm listening to as I write, and which is growing on me each day).

Then there's a folk/medieval band that I love, but that doesn't fit in Metal: Corvus Corax.
----
27.03.2008 - 13:17
Vihru
Account deleted
Finntroll, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani and Turisas all of those are great bands that make great music gotta love em. I think (and not only because on finnish) that best Folk metal bands come from Finland
27.03.2008 - 15:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by owl on 27.03.2008 at 12:17

Torelli I disagree in Brazil, sorry there no connection whit celts, so why thay dont play indain folk samba folk, imo bands who play such metal outsie UK, lil Ger and France are posers
I partially agree with that. Even yesterday I bumped into this colombian guy that has a celtic-folk one-man project (can't remember the name, sorry) and I thought "what the hell has he got to do with celtic-folk anyway?"

Still, if one can ignore the band's origin while listening to it, we may have some good music anyway. It's like viking metal from Portugal. Take Gwydion, for instance. There never were any vikings in Portugal, but these guys do play some good sh*t, so... to hell with the incoherence, I say!

As far as folk is concerned, I must say I only recently started meddling with this genre, so I don't know a heap of bands yet. I used not to like it at all - I found stuff like Korpiklaanii really boring. But one day I found a band that began changing that idea in me: Týr.
It was practically love at first audition, and from then on I moved to other things like Belenos, Amon Amarth and Eluveitie (which I'm listening to as I write, and which is growing on me each day).

Then there's a folk/medieval band that I love, but that doesn't fit in Metal: Corvus Corax.

I agree but Portugal its Europe and soemhow thay are connected whit vikings, but Africa, Asia, Columbia whatever, why thay cant use some indian metal, conqistadores metal wahtever, but even if its uncorect somehow I can listeb those bands but not all of tham, but thay never be my fav
----

apos;'
[image]
27.03.2008 - 18:09
Torelli

Torelli I disagree in Brazil, sorry there no connection whit celts, so why thay dont play indain folk samba folk, imo bands who play such metal outsie UK, lil Ger and France are posers , and we have anought bands from Rus,Ukr, Swe, Nor, Fin, Ger, Fra what are unknown and play good folk metal metal-archives are a answer

I don't know why they play celtic stuff, they find it good I guess. Just beacuse they play something they are "not supposed to play", it doesn't mean that they are bad. I suggest you have a listen. Do you think Orphaned land are doing wrong beacuse the blend arabic folk in their music, despite that they are israeli's?

And no, we can never have enough bands form the nordic countries, germany, russia etc. But we need more bands with quality from these areas'. And I have to ask: why did you have the band Black Leaves in your quote, when you didn't mention anything about them?

Anyway, does anybody know any band that blends metal with african folk music? I guess it kind of hard to come across, but I want to know if such band even exist.
27.03.2008 - 18:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Torelli on 27.03.2008 at 18:09

I don't know why they play celtic stuff, they find it good I guess. Just beacuse they play something they are "not supposed to play", it doesn't mean that they are bad. I suggest you have a listen. Do you think Orphaned land are doing wrong beacuse the blend arabic folk in their music, despite that they are israeli's?

And no, we can never have enough bands form the nordic countries, germany, russia etc. But we need more bands with quality from these areas'. And I have to ask: why did you have the band Black Leaves in your quote, when you didn't mention anything about them?

Anyway, does anybody know any band that blends metal with african folk music? I guess it kind of hard to come across, but I want to know if such band even exist.

I didnt say it that tahy are bad I say that I can not get emeotions what I get from Arkona like pagan metal, but I cant get such emetions from band what come to Mexico and play such music

Sorry Black Leaves I ddnt mean quote thamm and orphened Land has bibeloc and juadaism into music too
----

apos;'
[image]
27.03.2008 - 22:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Some folk bands I find to have a very generic sound. Some of the bands I like are Ensiferum, Turisas, Eluveitie....thats about all I can think of that Im really into. Finntroll is not bad either. Could never really get into In Extremo unfortunately.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.03.2008 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 22:08

Some folk bands I find to have a very generic sound. Some of the bands I like are Ensiferum, Turisas, Eluveitie....thats about all I can think of that Im really into. Finntroll is not bad either. Could never really get into In Extremo unfortunately.

me to dont understand In Extremo music IMO its like Rammstein change a style
----

apos;'
[image]
28.03.2008 - 06:27
totaliteraliter
Some folk bands I find to have a very generic sound. Some of the bands I like are Ensiferum, Turisas, Eluveitie....

Personally I find Ensiferum to be about as generic as it gets. Newer folk metal of the viking variety in general seems to be tired to me, I always end up going back to Vikingligr Veldi.

I like Skyclad and The Meads Of Asphodel for the UK, but this:

Written by VPeter on 23.03.2008 at 01:56
Slavic Folk metal:
Arkona
Chur
Butterfly Temple
Alkonost
Dalriada

...is probably my favourite scene. Add Nokturnal Mortum/Drudkh/Graveland/Kroda (etc.) along with Zpoan Vtenz, Iuvenes (Towards Sources Of Honour And Pride), Nów, Ora Pro Nobis (speaking of which I only have Посвящение, has anyone heard their full-length?), Perunwit, Русич, Slavigrom, ?rec, Slavland, Venedae and Родовест. Anything with RAC like Сокира Перуна is usually great.

Во Скорбях need to be singled out from the above paragraph for being one of the new bands I'm most excited about. The s/t debut was a big surprise, probably the best album I heard last year and I hear a new one is in the works. http://voskorbyah.by.ru/

Not much to speak of from my homeland here, although Sig-ar-tyr is pretty good. I am a sucker for most consistently epic acoustic/electric dual guitar riffing, the spoken word aspect just adds to the feel.

Also that geographic anomaly of a band, Tuatha de Danann, is way more engaging than they should be by all logic.
28.03.2008 - 06:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 28.03.2008 at 00:59

me to dont understand In Extremo music IMO its like Rammstein change a style

I agree 100%. Its has a very industrial influence, Im not into industrial at all.
----
- George Carlin
28.03.2008 - 23:35
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Hm... I think Ive never heard folk metal band that I didnt like... Cause, one of the trademarks of folk metal music is - it has to be fairly simple and catchy IMO. thats why its easy to get into it and like it.
Anyway, the ones that I like the best, and listen the most are:
Cruachan - the first folk band i listened to, and probably my favorite
Finntroll
Turisas
Ensiferum
Arkona
Temnozor

Damn... Im pretty sure Ive forgot something important...
----
29.03.2008 - 00:54
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
oh and Finntroll !!
29.03.2008 - 01:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 29.03.2008 at 00:54

oh and Finntroll !!

I dont know band oh
----

apos;'
[image]
29.03.2008 - 02:49
VPeter
I agree what K7 said people from their own country should use there own herritage, not copycat the the other. it is no problem if you use celtic instruments or other folk instruments for your music but to copy the whole imagery around it is an other thing. take for example the band Skilltron from Argentina, they don't sing about inca or that stuff but about scottish tales and even dress like them.....

to the one that said who was looking for african metal, no there isn't any just like there isn't any:
Chinese/Japanese Folk metal
Pirate Folk Metal
Indian Folk Metal
Egyptian Folk Metal
Inca Folk Metal

The Folk metal scene needs more balance, there are more deep folk metal bands but unfortunally the most of them come from East Europe and there they don't get as easy an big label like the Finns do.
29.03.2008 - 03:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by VPeter on 29.03.2008 at 02:49

I agree what K7 said people from their own country should use there own herritage, not copycat the the other. it is no problem if you use celtic instruments or other folk instruments for your music but to copy the whole imagery around it is an other thing. take for example the band Skilltron from Argentina, they don't sing about inca or that stuff but about scottish tales and even dress like them.....

to the one that said who was looking for african metal, no there isn't any just like there isn't any:
Chinese/Japanese Folk metal
Pirate Folk Metal
Indian Folk Metal
Egyptian Folk Metal
Inca Folk Metal

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is pirate folk metal, try that cheesy novelty band Alestorm, or Verbal Deception (fairly decent prog/death/pirate folk from my city). But I agree, it kind of pisses me off when I see north americans writing viking folk even though there a bunch of people with french/british descent, kind of laughable. If by indian you mean Native north american/aboriginal then check out Tomahawk, there more of just avantgarde type stuff, but the new album is almost entirely aboriginal songs, I hope someone does this but in a more metal direction, that would be amazing, there is enough ancient culture in north america, I dont see why we have to be ripping off someone elses. If by Indian you mean India, I guess th closest thing would be Melechesh.
----
- George Carlin