Metal Storm logo
Most Under Appreciated Metal Musician

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 25.03.2008 - 09:27
Metal has had its share of virtuoso musicians that have moved from band to band to band. In some rare cases said musician has rejoined the band that rejected them in the first place. in your opinion, who is the most under appreciated/ abused musician in metal today?
02.04.2009 - 17:39
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Valentin B on 19.08.2008 at 13:34

most people hate Manowar

What? Have I been missing something important again? The only people I meet who hate Manowar are little bm wannabe kvlt kiddies who just hate the way they look "gay". Most real metal fans I know (and have met online) love Manowar to at least some extent...

I'm going to name Imperial from Krieg. It's weird that so many people know Xasthur and Leviathan yet haven't heard of the USBM scene's highly influential Krieg. A lot of people nowadays even think Krieg are some kind of mediocre Darkthrone worship band. This is sure as hell not the case and I really urge these people to reconsider... In fact, The Black House is nearly a masterpiece. A sick and demented one, but still a masterpiece.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
03.04.2009 - 08:35
ToMegaTherion
Tow names come to mind when I am asked this question
Ihsahn - This guys is one of metal hidden gems, A great singer (clean and growls), a fantastic guitarist, and keyboard player as well. But none of these compare with his songwriting capability, he has an unorthodox but incredibly interesting styles of any song writer.

Chuck Schuldiner - Unfortunately a career cut short before he could be see for the tallented guitarist he was. Chuck has one of the most free flowing and powerful sounds to come out of metal to date. Death still remains one of metals great bands.
03.04.2009 - 13:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think Chris Broderick is under appreciated. Because he stayed in Loomis' shadow, people didn't see him for what he was. And now in Megadeth people aren't realised how well he plays their songs. Or are they?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.04.2009 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 03.04.2009 at 08:35

Chuck Schuldiner - Unfortunately a career cut short before he could be see for the tallented guitarist he was. Chuck has one of the most free flowing and powerful sounds to come out of metal to date. Death still remains one of metals great bands.

How the hell s it possible to call Chuck under appreciated? I would even dare say that he is currently OVERappreciated, the guy is currently revered as some sort of Jesus in the metal world.

He is overrated to such a degree that loads and loads of people actually think that Chuck single handedly invented and imrpoved death metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2009 - 14:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Somebody above also said that Jon Shaffer is under appreciated, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I personally would say: Stefan Forte and Kevin Codfert from Adagio. Those two deliver incredibly, but Adagio somehow stays unnoticed.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.04.2009 - 20:36
TormentoR.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2009 at 14:18

How the hell s it possible to call Chuck under appreciated? I would even dare say that he is currently OVERappreciated, the guy is currently revered as some sort of Jesus in the metal world.

He is overrated to such a degree that loads and loads of people actually think that Chuck single handedly invented and imrpoved death metal

i agree here.. he cant be under appreciated..
id say he is too overrated, and yea lol " Some sort of Jesus " hahahha
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
05.04.2009 - 02:52
ToMegaTherion

I wouldn't say he is some kind of new age Jesus or that he created Death metal despite the fact that he did play a big roll in its foundation as a genre'. I can't speak for everyone, but outside of metal circles few people know the name Chuck Schuldiner. Nor do very many people that do not listen to Death.

So perhaps over appreciated by some, but by the vast majority his name isn't recognized at all.
05.04.2009 - 08:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Chuck DID die due to lack of funds in order to pay for the surgery...if he was such the Jesus that he was supposed to be the money for his surgery would've been drummed up in no time and he would still be alive today...yes, yes, Kid Rock and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers helped (outside of the metal community) but his reverence just wasn't good enough for him to be alive today...why didn't Nuclear Blast step in and maybe urge the get bands in their roaster to come together and drum up the money? Yep, Nuclear Blast REALLY appreciated him...
21.06.2009 - 00:17
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Theres 2 for me

-Jani Liimatainen

-Petri Lindroos
27.06.2009 - 11:34
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
There is only one guy that I NEVER hear about I can think of that is a FUCKING GENIUS... and that is Trey Spruance. The guy has played with awesome bands like Faith No More, Secret Chief 3, and Estradasphere. The guy pushes himself like every musician should (it's very obvious when seeing him live) in not only technical guitar and keyboard playing, but creatively too. Given the kind of music he's been contributing too, I can't imagine him really wanting more recognition then he has, but fuck... he deserves it.

Here's some YouTube link's of Secret Chiefs 3 in case anyone's interested. They are all VERY good at what they do... which is being raw as fuck. Trey is the guy in the middle with the wizard beard. >:[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRD7Dt9jds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UMQeLd_UU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAn30uTBBDI
01.07.2009 - 08:53
ironfiststew
Account deleted

i'd have to disagree. most people who listen to death metal listen to progressive/melodic and don't get around to discovering death until they graduate to no frills brutal dm. i know this to be the case for a lot of 'metalheads' in my community as well as myself. i listened to progessive dm for 5 years and had no idea who chuck was until i built up the tolerance to listen to brutal dm.

and part of the reason chuck had that 'jesus' type legacy was not just because of this musical contributions, but also because of his personality. he was such a genuine guy who could care less about fitting in with the tough-guy/asshole death metal stereotype and he completely did his own thing which was so refreshing given the death metal mob mentality of the early 90s. he thought for himself and he rejected an image that was so popular to have back then in the tampa scene. not to mention he was one of the first vocalists to use dm growling.

regardless of whether or not people want to attribute death metal to chuck, one thing that no on can deny is that death was one of the first bands to ever capitalize on death metal and come to the forefront of the scene. so it's semantics, people.

just given his amazing personality alone, he will NEVER be under appreciated. i wish more metalhead meatheads could use their heads like chuck did.
01.07.2009 - 13:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Chuck an amazing personality Clearly someone who has never met the guy. Chuck was actually one of the most arrogant pricks and biggest assholes around in the death metal scene.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2009 - 13:28
chematss
Dan Swanö.. ok, he is a hero but an underground hero.. He deserves more.. I find him more skilled than for ex. Akerfeldt.. (most of the people may disagree)
01.07.2009 - 13:31
chematss
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2009 at 13:12

Chuck an amazing personality Clearly someone who has never met the guy. Chuck was actually one of the most arrogant pricks and biggest assholes around in the death metal scene.

seems like you met him?
01.07.2009 - 14:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

why you tell that? surely as a musician he was great but why an asshole?
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.07.2009 - 14:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 01.07.2009 at 14:39

Because he treated his band members like dirt and also treated his support acts horribly, giving them almost no light, no space on stage, horrible sound etc. as if he was afraid he would be blown off the stage (which actually did happen quite often cause Death live was usually bad at best)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2009 - 15:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2009 at 14:43

Written by Deadmeat on 01.07.2009 at 14:39

Because he treated his band members like dirt and also treated his support acts horribly, giving them almost no light, no space on stage, horrible sound etc. as if he was afraid he would be blown off the stage (which actually did happen quite often cause Death live was usually bad at best)

i bet he was a bit Misanthrope!!!
yeah genrally chuck had a strange attitude. surely he was egoistic.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.07.2009 - 15:21
Elio
Red Nightmare
I think this thread should refer only to talent and not also to behaviour and such, since we can't know how somebody is/was unless we were close friends with the musician. The consequence is that everybody thinks something about someone and sometimes there's also people who speak without having any clue of what a person is about.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.07.2009 - 15:47
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Elio on 01.07.2009 at 15:21

I think this thread should refer only to talent and not also to behaviour and such, since we can't know how somebody is/was unless we were close friends with the musician. The consequence is that everybody thinks something about someone and sometimes there's also people who speak without having any clue of what a person is about.

on the first part you are right. it would be better to talk here only about the abilities of the musicians. but i disagree a bit on the 2nd part as people may not know personally the musicican but some things are obvious. in todays example it is obvious that chuck was a bit egoistic. in almost every Death album the whole line up was changing. also he was the only one to write all the music and lyrics. and no one can deny that chuck has worked with some great musicians who surely knew also some things in how to write music. but they never did in Death..
----
01.07.2009 - 20:29
I would have to agree with Jani and Petri for sure, but for me personaly it's Willie Adler of Lamb of God. I'd like to hear some solo's from that guy on the next record.
----
Brother will kill brother, Spilling blood across the land, Killing for religion, Something I don't understand
01.07.2009 - 21:12
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Elio on 01.07.2009 at 15:21

I think this thread should refer only to talent and not also to behaviour and such...

Agreed, but I think that if one's character is displayed through their music, it's worth discussing. It's a bit harder to pinpoint with a lot of metal musicians... but it's usually there.

Also, (My two cents about Chuck) Chuck Schuldiner is hailed the king of death metal by any metalhead that listens to the genre. So saying he's under-appreciated seems to not really make any sense.

Also, if you guys are bringing up these musicians that are lesser-known and appreciated, can you post links to maybe some of their stuff on YouTube or something?
02.07.2009 - 07:18
Glad2Impale
Account deleted
I think Steve Shelton of Confessor is way underrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCKr21auuE
03.07.2009 - 16:35
ironfiststew
Account deleted

well yeah he changed his lineup a million times because it was HIS BAND lol. he was the visionary! he had every right to hire the musicians he wanted to fulfill his vision. and whatever egotism he had was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WARRANTED. he was a fucking genius for christ's sake. totally not an asshole. an amazing musician and visionary, a passionate human being, and a guy who had a mind to think for himself. fucking CHUCK SCHULDINER and there will never be another. NEVER.
03.07.2009 - 16:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.07.2009 at 16:35

well yeah he changed his lineup a million times because it was HIS BAND lol. he was the visionary! he had every right to hire the musicians he wanted to fulfill his vision. and whatever egotism he had was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WARRANTED. he was a fucking genius for christ's sake. totally not an asshole. an amazing musician and visionary, a passionate human being, and a guy who had a mind to think for himself. fucking CHUCK SCHULDINER and there will never be another. NEVER.

So what you're saying is, just because he is (or to be more precise, is regarded as a genius) he is allowed to treat band members and support acts like shit? That's just pathetic. I met the guy and I don't mind egoism at all when it comes to musicians and such but the way he treated the people around him certainly made him a lesser human being in my eyes. Mr Schuldiner was just a pathetic whining little boy. But getting back on topic... no he is NOT under appreciated, just look at all the accolades he gets for the music he wrote.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2009 - 17:13
ironfiststew
Account deleted
Quote:

So what you're saying is, just because he is (or to be more precise, is regarded as a genius) he is allowed to treat band members and support acts like shit? That's just pathetic. I met the guy and I don't mind egoism at all when it comes to musicians and such but the way he treated the people around him certainly made him a lesser human being in my eyes. Mr Schuldiner was just a pathetic whining little boy. But getting back on topic... no he is NOT under appreciated, just look at all the accolades he gets for the music he wrote.

in your logic, because he had so many lineup changes meant he was an asshole am i wrong? his lineup changes had everything to do with the fact that he wanted Death to change musical direction and literally, the dynamic of Death was completely different from most other bands. Death wasn't a bunch of friends who shared the same vision and equally contributed vision-wise. it was CHUCK'S band, and he hired musicians to fulfill HIS vision. doesn't make him an asshole. and whatever you're saying about him purposely sabotaging opening bands so they sounded shitty is no offense, bs. far too talented to care about whether some opening act was going to out shine him. i've watched Death live videos, and i've noticed that some shows had inferior production compared to others. it's not a conspiracy.

and in reference to why i claim that he is NOT under appreciated, i will again post what i previously posted:
"most people who listen to death metal listen to progressive/melodic and don't get around to discovering Death until they graduate to no frills brutal dm. i know this to be the case for a lot of 'metalheads' in my community as well as myself. i listened to progessive dm for 5 years and had no idea who chuck was until i built up the tolerance to listen to brutal dm."

i listened to death metal for 5 years never being curious enough to discover Death or chuck. so there you go. and i know this to be the case for a lot of my friends and the death metal community. people who listen to progressive/melodic dm really don't have much of a reason to venture off and disover Death. if you happened to discover them early on, congrats, but it's not case for most of the people i know.
03.07.2009 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Death was outshined on every single date in the US when Pestilence supported them and he kicked them off the tour because of that.
I have met Chuck a couple of times and EVERY time he treated everyone (except journalists ause he needed them for good publicity of course) as pure shit.
Why can't you just accept the fact that although Chuck was a great musician he was also a terrible human being.

It's weird you say that people who listen to progressive/melodic dm don't have much of reason to chec out Death. Because if there is one thing to Death's music it's that it is progressive and quite melodic as well, certainly NOT brutal death metal.

Yes, I discovered them early on. I discovered them when they were still called Mantas.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2009 - 20:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
Death isn't even that good in my opinion. Hahaha.
03.07.2009 - 21:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.07.2009 at 20:59

Death isn't even that good in my opinion. Hahaha.

But still infitely better than M*****s of course
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2009 - 21:46
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am by no means a fan of Death Metal (ok, I like some of the melo-death bands) but I really dig Death. But then again I have bad taste in music.
----
(space for rent)
03.07.2009 - 21:55
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2009 at 17:19

It's weird you say that people who listen to progressive/melodic dm don't have much of reason to chec out Death. Because if there is one thing to Death's music it's that it is progressive and quite melodic as well, certainly NOT brutal death metal.

That's what I was thinking... but I usually just let fan boys/girls have their spills on their bands. Plus, I find their fanciful reasoning of why their beloved bands/musicians are so god-worthy amusing.